The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

when it comes to foreign recipients it is true for many. For French citizens there is a lot of criteria to be met.

The foreign honors are like many national orders. Think of all the foreign honors royals have. They don't do anything to earn them save attending a state visit. When was the last time a royal actually did something to actually earn one of those orders other than a visit.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
It seems to me that the French Legion d'Honneur is awarded for just being married to a right person or into a right family.
Here are the Légion d'Honneur criteria :

Award criteria | La grande chancellerie

The last paragraph about foreign honorees (because Princess Marie acquired Danish citizenship upon marriage) :

Quote:
Foreigners may be decorated with the Legion of Honor if they have rendered services (e.g. cultural or economic) to France or supported causes defended by France, such as human rights, freedom of the press, or humanitarian action.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
Here are the Légion d'Honneur criteria :

Award criteria | La grande chancellerie

The last paragraph about foreign honorees (because Princess Marie acquired Danish citizenship upon marriage) :
Thanks for the link!
The requirements are not strict. A rich influential husband can procure the order for a spouse.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:47 AM
Majesty

The french posters (120) from Noblesse et Royautés are upset because the Princess is Grand Officier for doing nothing than to be the wife of a Danish Prince.

A great lot of people who did a lot for France , who lost their lifes for saving people are only Chevalier !
Old 04-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

It is not only in Noblesses end Royautes but also on other royal sites that a lot of french posters are upset because Marie is Grand Offiicer , nobody recalls that she did something for France with a foundation or other things.

Some posters on an another royal site said that Princess Stephanie of Monaco is doing a lot for the persons who are ill with the VIH in france and also with the houses of life in Carpantras and she never received an awards from France.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

I found a bit riche, indeed, that princess Marie could receive this order, in the Grand officier grade with that.
Frankly it's ridiculous (this grade is generaly awarded to foreign head of states, during state visits only).
As you have to ask for it, i suspect the uber gallic Henrik is behind the maneuver.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
Princess Marie was bestowed the French Legion d'Honneur on Friday.

Kirsten Biering‏ @DKAmb_France 10h10 hours ago
At French Amb Residence in Copenhagen French born Princess Marie receives Legion d'Honneur this afternoon. We are so proud to call her ours.
https://twitter.com/DKAmb_France/sta...95702115139584
congratulations to marie! the legion d'honneur is such a great honor. her work on denmark-france ties and on humanitarian issues definitely makes her a good awardee for it!
Old 04-09-2017, 12:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
congratulations to marie! the legion d'honneur is such a great honor. her work on denmark-france ties and on humanitarian issues definitely makes her a good awardee for it!
No, just no.

She could have been awarded the grade of knight, or maybe, officer, for her quite obscure work for the "Denmark-France" ties (she's a total unknown figure in France anyway).
Grand Officier is the same grade as France's main ministers and many foreign heads of states. For the second wife of the second son of the Queen of Denmark it's, you guessed it, just totally vain and ridiculous.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Majesty

I agree with you Nico.
The countess of Evreux who promoted Dior in Spain for 20 years was made Chevalier when she ended her work for them.

if Henrik was the promotor , he should have said that wearing a Bourbon brooch to gether with the Napoleonistic Decoration of the Legion d' Honneur was not a good Choice.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

How do you even get such an order?

I assume you can't just order one on Amazon, so someone in authority in France must have decided she deserved it. Who?

It seems plausible to me that Marie's rank as princess is the reason why she is getting a grade higher up than is really merited.

While our Marie may not be that well-known in France she is a living goodwill ambassador for France and French culture in Denmark - hopefully for life.

I don't think she can be directly compared to PH. He is after all a prince consort, but he has also served his country in the army in wartime and in the diplomatic corps.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Majesty

Last news. Marie is Officier and not Grand Officier.
She is just between Chevalier and Commandeur.

If She was really Grand Officier (avec plaque) it should have be granted by the President of France and not by his Ambassador in Denmark.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
It is not only in Noblesses end Royautes but also on other royal sites that a lot of french posters are upset because Marie is Grand Offiicer , nobody recalls that she did something for France with a foundation or other things.

Some posters on an another royal site said that Princess Stephanie of Monaco is doing a lot for the persons who are ill with the VIH in france and also with the houses of life in Carpantras and she never received an awards from France.
One has to nominate a someone for a honour. Apparently no one nominated Princess Stéphanie de Monaco for a Légion d'Honneur. By the way, Stéphanie never was a French citizen. Marie was French. For a Légion it is already enough to be a great ambassador for France, for the French, the language, the arts, the culture, the humanity, the values, etc. Apparently the ones whom nominated Marie found her an asset for France and the French. And France agreed, so to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
when it comes to foreign recipients it is true for many. For French citizens there is a lot of criteria to be met.

The foreign honors are like many national orders. Think of all the foreign honors royals have. They don't do anything to earn them save attending a state visit. When was the last time a royal actually did something to actually earn one of those orders other than a visit.
King Juan Carlos for leading isolated Spain from a fascist dictatorship to the modern world, to a democracy which is a member of NATO and EU.

King Hussein of Jordan for his endless efforts to bring peace in the Middle East.

Queen Margrethe II for her true dedication and promotion of Danish art, Danish culture, etc.

Etc. I think most royals, when not royal but doing their activities, already would have received honours for their commitment to good causes, for their involvement of charity, for the promotion of the common good, etc.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Last news. Marie is Officier and not Grand Officier.
She is just between Chevalier and Commandeur.

If She was really Grand Officier (avec plaque) it should have be granted by the President of France and not by his Ambassador in Denmark.
Now that's different , and less surprising.
But i didn't know we have such an asset for the French values in Denmark. Who Knew ?
Old 04-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Duc and Pair , you don't know who receices the honor to be be granted with the légion d'honneur. foreign head of states receive the legion d'honneur, Prince Albert has the Légion d'honneur, king philip of Belgium, Poutine have this decoration , the persons who receive the grade of Legion deserves France also in humanitary and Princess Stephanie deserves it with her work with the persons who have the VIH, Marie is unknow from France, I don't recall to see her attending very often to french danish meetings in Paris or in Copenhagen , her father in Law , yes, the people of France don't find her as asset for france and the french, it is why there are so many french people who are not happy to see that a danish pricess receives the higher grade of the Legion d'honneur and than soldiers who lost their lifes in Afghanistan had not this honor.
The legion d'honneur was for the military , it was created by Napoleon, now, people, singers have the legion d'honneur and french people think that this decoration has no more value

Duc and Pair, to receive the legion d'honneur , the person must do something for France
King Juan Carlos, King Hussein or queen Margreth did or do good thing for their country and for the peace, but what do they do for France to be decored with the Legion d'honneur apart to be head of states. but I understand that they are receiving the Legion d'honneur because they are the sovereigns but I will not understand why the wife of the second prince would receive this honor. if she is not deserving it
Old 04-09-2017, 04:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

For heads of state and their consorts it is just reciprocity. The President of France and his spouse are given the highest honour of a country. And in return the President gives the highest honour of France to the other head of state. Purely because the President is the most supreme in the State of France, and via his office, his person, France is honoured. So when M Hollande gives the Légion d'Honneur to Philippe de Belgique, he honours the embodiment of the State of Belgium: it's King.

Marie is no head of state. So in her case merits are needed. Apparently the nomination of Marie was convincing enough to award her a medal. I agree with you that Princess Stéphanie deserves a honour for her good work against hiv/aids and other charities, but someone has go nominate her. And preferrably her activities need to have a link with France. Maybe you can, as a citoyenne de France, you can request your Government to consider a honour to Princess Stéphanie.

:-)
Old 04-09-2017, 05:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
King Juan Carlos for leading isolated Spain from a fascist dictatorship to the modern world, to a democracy which is a member of NATO and EU.

King Hussein of Jordan for his endless efforts to bring peace in the Middle East.

Queen Margrethe II for her true dedication and promotion of Danish art, Danish culture, etc.

Etc. I think most royals, when not royal but doing their activities, already would have received honours for their commitment to good causes, for their involvement of charity, for the promotion of the common good, etc.
I am not saying they have not accomplished things in life

I am saying they receive foreign honors simply by virtue of either going on a visit there, or hosting a visit. Queen margrethe doesn't have a Dutch order becayse severities Danish art. JC doesn't have a British order for being king after fascist control. None of their foreign orders are about contributions they make to the country the order is from.

If you look at orders, you will find like the legion, there are those who have contributed to the country (politicians, artists, humanitarians ) and others like foreign dignitaries who get them because of who they are not what they do.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Let us please stay on topic of this thread, thank you!

Here are the photos shared by the Danish royal website:

One of the last photos shows Marie's parents and halfbrothers attending the ceremony:

** kongehuset.dk: H.K.H. Prinsesse Marie modtager orden **
Old 04-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks, Iceflower

Here are a couple of more photos from the ceremony: Modtog fornem fransk orden: Prinsesse Marie fejret af Joachim og svigerfar | BT Royale - www.bt.dk

There are couple of interesting facts about the order.

At any given time the number of living recipients of the order cannot exceed 125.000.

The number of French citizens who can recieive the order annually is:
Grand Cross: 6 persons.
Grand Officer: 15 persons.
Commander: 75 persons.
Officer: 360 persons.
Knight: 2.800 persons.
- These figures apply to French citizens, foreign citizens (our Marie being one) are not included, but they are very few indeed anyway.
26 of 322 foreigners have the Legion of Honour.
The figures stems from the French embassy.

- And, Iceflower/moderators. I do think the current discussion as to why Marie received the honor is valid.
It's not up to me as a Dane, to say whether Marie deserves the order or not. It's held in high esteem by the French I know.
But I find the discussion and also the discussion as to why she received it interesting. So please continue the discussion and I'm sure we are adult enough to keep it civilized.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Nobility

Another interesting fact : daughters and female descendants of people receiving a Légion d'honneur order have access to one of their maisons d'éducation. They are among the best French schools.

More information on their website : Les maisons d'éducation de la Légion d'honneur | La grande chancellerie

It means Princess Athena, as Princess Marie's daughter, could one day be a student there.
Same goes for Princesses Isabella and Josephine, as Prince Henrik's granddaughters.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Majesty

To me Marie is Officier de la Legion d' Honneur Red Ruban and red Rosette.
Grand Officier is red Ruban , red rosette and under the Rosette white and Gold. Grand Officier has also a silver plate, the Princess Should have worn it or show in its Box.

I wrote to the Order on the Legion d' Honneur asking them wish Order Princess Marie really received

Tags
princess marie, princess marie curent events, princess marie events