The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Here's a nice video of Marie's rainy visit:

** BB: VIDEO: Prinsesse Marie deltog i skattejagt i silende regn ** translation **

Old 08-04-2017, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Some more pics from yesterday can be found here:

** kongehuset.dk: Besøg i Helsingør Ferieby **

Old 10-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Princess Marie as Patron visited the Autism Center Storstrøm in Vordingborg and attended the premiere of 'The Digital Offer' at Vordingborg Cinema today, October 9:

Princess Marie herself appears in the film, the Palace shared a video:

** kongehuset.dk video ** rex gallery **

** BB: Prinsesse Marie medvirker i ny film ** translation **

** kongehuset.dk gallery: H.K.H. Prinsesse Marie besøgte Autismecenter Storstrøm **
Old 10-30-2017, 12:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

As a patron of the Autism Association, Princess Marie today with children with autism, their siblings and parents spent an afternoon at Tivoli in Copenhagen.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba4KXRqg...danskekongehus
Old 10-30-2017, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Here's a nice video of the afternoon spent at Tivoli:

** BB: VIDEO: Prinsesse Marie i Halloween-Tivoli ** translation **

The Palace also shared a video and a gallery:

** kongehuset.dk video **

** kongehuset.dk: H.K.H. Prinsesse Marie inviterede børn med autisme i Tivoli **
Old 10-30-2017, 03:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks, Iceflower.

It must indeed be difficult to be a sibling to a child with autism. It looked to me like the boy sitting next to our Marie in the roller coaster liked her a lot!
She also made sure the children heard her say that the children were not afraid at all for riding the roller coaster, but she was a little afraid, so it was good someone (the boy) could hold her hand.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:32 PM
Majesty

I am sure and may understand having myself a mental handicaped Son that there was a selection among the autist Children.
Prince Philippe visited my Son's School years ago and some parents told me they received a letter asking that this very day their Child had to stay home.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Administrator

How terrible, must have been such a disappointment for the children...

Here's another nice gallery of Marie and the children at the Tivoli:

** rex gallery **
Old 11-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I am sure and may understand having myself a mental handicaped Son that there was a selection among the autist Children.
Prince Philippe visited my Son's School years ago and some parents told me they received a letter asking that this very day their Child had to stay home.
I understand that this would be distressing to the family. However speaking as an educator and the parent of a spectrum child, I am aware that at times faculty might recommend that a autism spectrum student not participate in an event if they know it could be distressing to the child. Often times it is because they're easily unsettled by a change in their routines and over stimulation due to the noise created by additional people. A royal visit is typically one that the press is involved in and that would see camera crews plus all of their equipment on campus as well. To some students on the spectrum this type of event can quickly overwhelm them.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Princess Marie as Patron was present at the conference "Meeting of Minds" in Copenhagen today, November 9:

** kongehuset.dk gallery **

** BB: Begejstret prinsesse Marie mødte autisme-forskere ** translation **
Old 04-23-2018, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Princess Marie as Patron of the National Association for Autism was present at the celebration of the SIKON conference's 30th anniversary in Odense today, Arpil 23:

** kongehuset.dk: Landsforeningen Autismes fejring af SIKON konferencens 30-års jubilæum **
Old 04-25-2018, 06:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks, Iceflower

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #17, 2018.
Written by Laura Dalgård Hansen.

Indeed our Marie showed up for the 30th conference by the National Association for Autism in Odense.
The whole thing started with a music concert for the 800 people at the conference by a Sigmund, who came in fourth at the years DK version of X-Factor. - I have no idea who he is, but he looks like teenage-fodder to me.
Marie sat on the front row and Sigmund said afterwards: "Princess Marie sat in front and rocked along and smiled, so I blew her a kiss. She's sweet."

After Sigmund it was time for Marie to give her speech and she started by saying: "I know you all feel like dancing, but you have to listen to me now. It's a bit hard to follow Sigmund."

Later on she was taking for a tour among the many stands presenting things to help people with autism. Among them an electric rocking chair.
The purpose is that the rocking motion settle you down and almost rock you to sleep and in that way you (if you are an autist who is agitated) calm down. Especially if it's combined with a heavy duvet. It ensures that you sleep better. - (Presumably because it prevents you from moving about so much in your sleep.)
Old 05-07-2018, 11:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Marie visited today as Patron of the Autisme Nest classes at Katrinebjerg School in Aarhus

https://da-dk.facebook.com/detdanske...65015343837050
Old 05-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Majesty

Another gallery
Besøg på Katrinebjergskolen | Kongehuset
Old 05-07-2018, 12:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks Eya & Polyesco

Our Marie had glaring sunshine all during her visit.

Does anyone with knowledge about autism know what NEST is?
Old 05-07-2018, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Some more photos of her visit today can also be found here:

** stiften.dk gallery ** belga gallery **
Old 05-07-2018, 04:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Some info on what it was our Marie was learning about when she visited the school in Aarhus today:

The project NEST is about putting children with autism in classes with normal children.
What normally happens when you put children in a class, is that the children adapt to the new class, to the new way of being taught and so on.
Here it's the other way around. The class and the teaching adapt itself to the children with autism.
It costs just as much as having a special class, even though most of the children do not need special attention, but it has turned out that children with autism who go to school in a normal class, develop better social skills and better language skills than children who go in a class only with children who have autism.

- I presume this project applies to children who suffer from milder degrees of autism.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Princess Marie as Patron visited the National Association of Autism's Youth's employment project "Ready to Start" in Værløse today, June 22:

** kongehuset.dk gallery ** profimedia gallery **

** BB: VIDEO: Prinsesse Marie gav unge med autisme en oplevelse for livet ** translation **

Old 06-22-2018, 11:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Some info on what it was our Marie was learning about when she visited the school in Aarhus today:

The project NEST is about putting children with autism in classes with normal children.
What normally happens when you put children in a class, is that the children adapt to the new class, to the new way of being taught and so on.
Here it's the other way around. The class and the teaching adapt itself to the children with autism.
It costs just as much as having a special class, even though most of the children do not need special attention, but it has turned out that children with autism who go to school in a normal class, develop better social skills and better language skills than children who go in a class only with children who have autism.

- I presume this project applies to children who suffer from milder degrees of autism.

Yes I would presume that this is for children who are on the mild end of the autism spectrum. I remember when the first student who was identified as having autism was mainstreamed into my colleague's classroom back in the mid-1990's. He did spend a good portion of the day in a smaller setting for his English language arts (reading, writing, speaking, listening) and math, but for other subjects was in his regular education room of about 28 students. There were some challenges ie: his parents refused to allow the others students know that he was autistic. So when he displayed some autism associated behaviors: spinning, pacing,scripted speech, hand flapping, we were only permitted to say that he had asthma. (Which confused those who also had asthma and didn't display any of those behaviors. )

As time went by he settled into the school routine and with assistance did graduate from high school with his class. About five years later we began to identify and acknowledge those who had Asperger's and would provide them with the special education services that they required to help them to be successful.

Of course there are some students in which their diagnosis (ie: non-verbal students) would require a smaller setting, one to one assistance and the technology to assist them in communication. By law we're are required to provide the least restrictive environment so sometimes that means that mainstreaming must be attempted even though the ultimate placement might be a smaller setting rather than a general education one.

For today's engagement at the Youth Employment graduation.
Lovely to see Marie present at the students' graduation from the event.

Muhler-Are the caps typical of what students receive at the end of their education? I think I've seen them in other Scandinavian countries' ceremonies.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks for your story, TLLK

Yes, these caps are for high school graduates (called "studenter" in DK, so unsurprisingly such a cap is called a "studenterhue")

They are usually presented after the last examination, by parents or another relative, often with a bouquet of flowers. - Or in this case by our Marie.
The graduates will wear these caps with pride well into the summer, both at the many parties for graduates but also simply going down to buy a magazine at the local kiosk.

I don't know when the tradition with graduates wearing these caps started, but they have been around at least since at least the 1840s. - And so have the parties...
Here is a delightful picture of Swedish-Norwegian students visiting Denmark in the summer of 1862, and as the caption reads: You may notice they have had their lunch...
https://app.box.com/s/wr6vadma4vp6qlvtlihuik74cffcys9a

These caps are not handed out, you have to buy them.
And today all sorts of educations now have a cap in various colors, so it can be quite bewildering!