Princess Marie as Patron of DanChurchAid

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A good idea to keep that low-key.

Not that I think our Marie was in any particular danger in Myanmar, but there are local separatists organizations who might be tempted to kidnap foreigners.

Great visit for Marie, she looked so much at ease on the visit.
Was this a week visit, is she back in Denmark?

She's back in DK.

what a great trip! i loved seeing the photos of marie in myanmar. firstly, because i would love to travel there. but secondly, because the pictures show an interested, relaxed marie soaking it all in. i love her pic sitting on the floor with that family looking at the young boy and the one sitting on the floor with the other ladies. i guess i liked the simplicity of it all, that it wasn't just marie the princess, but just marie. it all looked very normal and low key - no security on sight, fairly intimate environments and not a huge committee travelling with her either.

How odd that DanChurchAid chose Inle Lake to focus on poverty reduction. Together with Bagan, Inle Lake is THE tourist destination in Myanmar. Thanks to tourism and handcraft products (which again are bought en masse by tourists) the people at Inle Lake are far better off than those in many other parts of Myanmar. It's a bit like choosing the Red Sea area for poverty reduction in Egypt. But of course it's a very picturesque place and good for taking lovely pictures.

It's also odd that even after the visit the information given by the royal house is so very vague. I can understand why they kept it a secret although Inle Lake is a much safer place than e.g. the Rakhine State which CP Mary visited a few years ago - and that visit was announced beforehand. But why this vagueness regarding dates?

Last edited:
Myanmar was until quite recently a pretty closed country, certainly in regards to tourists.
And the tourist industry is a very important source of income and very much so for the locals - who may need help and guidance in regards how set it up and in regards to small investments.

We'll see when more info is released.

I travelled in Myanmar very often, even before the country opened up. And Inle Lake is for sure one of the two most prosperous places in Myanmar.

Well, I imagine there are poor people in that area as well.

We'll see. DanChurchAid usually publish something from these travels.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #45, 2016.
Written by Henrik Salling.

As you know by now our Marie went to area around the Inle lake in Myanmar as patron for DanChurchAid. (DCA)
DCA has been working in Myanmar since 2010. and Marie visited various projects.
These projects aim at reducing poverty and improving women's rights.

Even though Myanmar has undergone an explosive growth economically in recent years a third of the population are still considered poor. So Marie visited villages, both villages where projects are going on and villages where projects may be launched, but she also visited a convent.
The projects on average lasts some three years, where people are informed about hygiene, ensuring better sanitation and access to clean water, but also in how to ensure a better and more stable income. In particular the women are being organized for such purposes.

Marie told our reporter: "It was very confirming to see how simple tools can help creating better conditions for poor and exposed families. The population learn to organize themselves in save-loan-groups, where they can take turns in lending a little for relatively larger investments, like a sewing-machine or a goat. It provides for them the opportunity for earning their own money and this feed themselves.
It moved me deeply to sense the pride of the people over the progress they have been part of creating".

As you can see from the photos in the article, Marie met children and spoke with project-managers, but also compared skin-hue with a local and just enjoying being sailed around.

Marie in Myanmar-A
Marie in Myanmar-B

And the whole issue: Billed Bladet #45, 2015

Last edited:
Prinsesse Marie mødte Peter og June Belli | BILLED-BLADET

Today our Marie went to a Christmas event with DanChurchAid. Here she met the singer Peter Belli, and his wife. Peter Belli is ambassador for DanChurchAid. He has just returned from a visit to Malawi, where he saw the result of a years-long gift-campaign: Donate a Goat.
The concept is that instead of giving a present to someone you know, you donate a small amount that goes to buying chickens or a goat to a poor family. The relative value of the animal far outweighing most presents you'd be able to buy for your friend or relative for a similar amount.

Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

And here is even more: Flygtnings rørende historie inspirerer prinsesse Marie
Our Marie met a refugee from the Ivory Coast who genuinely has been a success-story in the three years he's been in DK.
He now works for DanChurchAid as a facer - Their very best facer! He's off the scale when compared to his colleagues, simply due to a bubbling personality.

Princess Marie as Patron attended the DanChurchAid's Ambassador's Dinner yesterday evening, September 20:

** Pic **

Our Marie will now, in her capacity as patron for DanChurchAid, put focus on landmines and other unexplored ordinances.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/prinsesse-marie-gaar-ind-i-kampen-mod-landminer

Video:
https://www.noedhjaelp.dk/det-goer-vi/sider/nye-veje-til-haabet/minerydning

Each month some 700 worldwide are killed or maimed by mines or undetonated ammunition. - Mines and minelets from cluster-bombs are the big sinners.
Mines because they are hidden and specifically designed to preferably invalid their victims.
Cluster-bombs consists of up to several hundred minelets the size of a hand grenade, which explode on impact. The purpose being to increase the area that is destroyed or damaged, but also to "pollute" an area. Because a large percentage of the minelets do not explode, but they are still live and very dangerous. That means and area the size of a football field is most unsafe and it takes a long time for sappers to clear it.
Some of the minelets have delayed action, which means they may go off while sappers or medics are in the area...
Minelets are supposed to self destruct after a period, but even the best cluster-bombs cannot guarantee that.
The main victims are children, who pick things up, farmers, who have to go into the fields and livestock.

Back when I served in Croatia I had the very unpleasant task of treating an elderly women who had fallen victim to a jump-mine.
When you trigger a jump-mine, usually by a trip-wire, a small charge sends the mine about a meter or so up in the air, then it explodes sending a shower of balls 360 degrees.
This mine must have hit a branch or something, because the balls had mainly hit her legs, but she was mess!
We treated her and got her off to a hospital. I don't know if she lived. I don't think so, she had that characteristic "sunken" look in her face.
I wish I could know what happened.

Anyway, mines are a true scourge! And even after all these years, it still happens that I look for mines when going for a walk somewhere. Not as often anymore though.
So I can only applaud Marie for putting focus on this.

Last edited:

Today, April 30, Princess Marie as Patron of DanChurchAid visited Nordic Food's rice mill in Højslev that supplies the DanChurchAid's Wefood stores.

Afterwards she visited Skive Barracks in Skive and was informed about DanChurchAid's work on mine clearance:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga gallery **

** BB: Prinsesse Marie i prinsesse Dianas fodspor: Lærer nyt om miner ** translation **

** Prinsesse Marie på besøg: Stor ros til lokal virksomhed for ris-samarbejde ** translation **

Last edited:
So she is in DK these days...

Let's go back to what our Marie was up to today:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5aMDSHWwAEm2Sw.jpg

Skive Barracks is the home of the Artillery Regiment, so of course they have a sample of various ordinances.
From the front to the rear of the photo.

The first is jump-mine. That's an anti-personnel mine attached with a wire to a solid object like a tree and otherwise hidden. The wire is up to several meters long and when someone trip over it, the mine is triggered. A small charge blows the mine about a meter or so up in the air. Then the mine explodes sending out a shower of fragments or steel balls (or worse plastic-flechettes that are difficult to see on X-ray) 360 degrees. Such a mine can totally decimate a squad.

The second is an artillery shell. 155 mm I think. A medium shell. In any war-zone an X number of artillery shells don't detonate for whatever reason and they just lie there, decade after decade until rust decades it so much that the detonator can't explode the shell anymore. Unless of course someone finds it and play with it, or hit it with a plough or a wild boar dig it up.
Around the town of Verdun in France, even to this day, wild boars are killed every year, by shells fired in 1916.

The third is mortar-shell. Around 120 mm making it a heavy infantry-support mortar. In contrast to artillery shells such mortar shells can lie all over the place where they may have been even a hint of an infantry skirmish.
Like the above, they can lie there for many, many years, just waiting for someone to pick it up to show the others at the nearby school...

The fourth is a rocket, undoubtedy from an aircraft or helicopter. Rockets have a tendency to misfire or the fins don't work properly so they can end up all over the place when fired.
They have a charge that is comparable to an offensive hand grenade and as such it will at least disintegrate the arm of someone picking it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Yes, he functions as her aide.
A nephew-in-waiting I suppose.

12 sappers or ordinance-people if you prefer, working for DanChurchAid have been trained at the artillery barracks.

Last edited:
:previous:

She'll be all over Uganda.
The towns of Arua and Katakwi are located in opposite parts of the country.
Arua close to the border to Congo and not far from Southern Sudan. So that's not the safest place in Uganda.

Back
Top Bottom