Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, News Part 2: July 2018 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Law of Jante

Indeed, he had his hair shaved off by his mother. (The word used is : Kronraget = shaved off. But it may simply be a very, very close haircut. BB is sometimes not that accurate.)

"Yes, the hair is gone."

And it didn't happen as a consequence of a (wet) celebration:
"No, no, I'm after all joining the miliary after the summer holiday, so it's my mother who has cut it off."

And he did run behind the graduation-cart, explained Joachim:
"The rule is that if you get a 12 in the last examination, you must run after the cart to the first stop."

(First stop depends on tradition: For some high schools it's simply to home of the first student who is among those on the wagon. Sometimes alphabetically, sometimes geographically. But some high schools have a tradition that they start by running around say a fountain in the town center or something like that.)

Joachim summed up:
"It's been very moving, so yes, I'm very proud. It's totally epic."

It is as such.
But it's perfectly acceptable to show that you are proud of your achievements.
The Jantelov = Law of Jante = Tall Poppy Syndrome is no longer as pronounced in DK as it still is in certainly Norway.
- Fortunately I'd say. Because I do think you should be allowed to be proud of an achievement that is the result of talent and hard work.
But bragging about it, that's a no-no.

Hello, Muhler: I googled “The Law of Jante”, but I would like an explanation (if you don’t mind) as to how this affects attitudes and/or behavior in Denmark. I remember hearing Prince Daniel refer to it as well. Thank you. ?

The Law of Jante is not as pronounced today as it was as late as my youth. We are still a community culture, but there is much more room for individuals today.

It's something you often encounter in small communities/tribes/villages. - You don't stand out. You make sure you are seen as an equal part of the community. You are not special, you are not unique, you are not better than everybody else.
And even if you do stand out, even if your community elevate you and recognize that you are something extraordinary, say an athlete or otherwise successful, you make damned sure you don't say that aloud! On the contrary, you will be as modest as possible.

Let me illustrate by using two examples.
Myself. - If there is something I'm very good at, I will not point it out, unless it's relevant in connection with applying for a job or facing a challenge as part of a group.
It is for others to point out that XYZ is something I'm very good at, while I will play it down and otherwise don't talk about it.
- That's adhering to the Law of Jante.

The advantage of that is that it is crucial in creating community cohesion and it furthers a community spirit and makes it easier to work as a team. It's more working together by consensus rather than under a leader. Teamwork is something Danes/Scandinavians are very, very good at. Because it's such an ingrained part of our culture.

The downside it that it tends to pull in talents and individuals. Rather than encourage individual talents from truly blossoming. Because, Hey! Easy now, buddy, you may be good, very good, but you are really no better than the rest of us. And don't you forget it!
It's a kind of equivalent to the slave who whispered in the ear of an emperor during triumphal processions: "Remember, you are mortal."
That thinking goes all the way through our culture. There is a saying in Danish: The cemeteries are full of people who were irreplaceable/extraordinary.
Another saying: The trees don't grow up into the sky.
That pretty much illustrate it.

It's the well being and interests of the community first, rather than individualism and the success of individuals/entrepreneurs. If you get my meaning.

The second example I will use is our national soccer team.
They are a success at the moment at the European Championship and are deservedly hailed as heroes and representatives of their tribe, The Danes.
In return they make sure to emphasize that they are a team, and that even though individuals may do very well, it's because of the team, they do so.
- And that is indeed the key to their current success: There are no stars on the current Danish team. - And that's why it works.

So in short: The Law of Jante is tribal/village mindset on a national scale.
It's the village/tribe against the world, so you don't stand out and you don't act as if you are better than the tribe. I.e. putting yourself above the tribe/village.

- It is actually surprisingly difficult to explain. ?

Last edited:
I appreciate the explanation. In a way, it just sounds polite. I do appreciate the opportunity for learning more about others without “The Media”.
I often think it would be pleasant to have a gathering of Royal Forum commenters for a discussion. We could learn much from each other.
Our media so misrepresents us. ����

I appreciate the explanation. In a way, it just sounds polite. I do appreciate the opportunity for learning more about others without “The Media”.
I often think it would be pleasant to have a gathering of Royal Forum commenters for a discussion. We could learn much from each other.
Our media so misrepresents us. ����

That's the plus side of it.

The negative side, and that is very often seen in small communities, is that this thinking is little less than accepted community-envy expressed aloud.

What would you like to discuss in particular?

Its just good manners, you dont boast, you dont think yourself special, you do a good job for the team....

It's very similar to the Australian Tall Poppy Syndrome, so perhaps our Australian friends here can add something? ?

It's very similar to the Australian Tall Poppy Syndrome, so perhaps our Australian friends here can add something? ?

It's a bit different to the Law of Junte. Tall Poppy Syndrome is where jealous people will try to "cut down" those who are successful in their own right. Especially self-made successful business people. Even if they are humble about their success.

Tall Poppy Syndrome is really prevalent in lower socio-economic parts of our society, whereby those who want to break the welfare cycle and go on to become educated and obtain professional jobs are "cut down" by their own families and friends. Many are ostracised because their success is a threat.

Discussion Possibilities

That's the plus side of it.

The negative side, and that is very often seen in small communities, is that this thinking is little less than accepted community-envy expressed aloud.

What would you like to discuss in particular?

Well, I’d like to hear what is the “ordinary” person of Denmark like. And, the same for other countries, like Australia, Bulgaria, Russia, Norway, etc. What is valued. What is important? What does each one value in their own country.
I know that Bulgaria has some of the worlds most beautiful roses. And, that their King Boris III was a hero who helped to save 50,000 Jews from Hitler. There is so much to know.
Muhler: You have given TRF some very enjoyable info re: your lovely country.
Thank you. Maybe we could have a thread wherein members tell us interesting items about their countries. Just a thought.

It has been confirmed that Nikolai will move to Paris.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/prins-nikolai-flytter-fra-danmark-se-hvorhen
https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-nikolai-til-bt-jeg-flytter-til-paris

He is currently studying Business Administration and Service Management at Copenhagen Business School, and he will now study for one semester at Paris School of Business from September 2021 to January 2022.

He had planned to study in Hong Kong last year, but Corona (and perhaps the demonstrations in Hong Kong universities?) put an end to these plans.

He will not be living with his father though.
Nor is it known whether his sweetheart, Birgitte Thoustrup will go with him.

He had planned to study in Hong Kong last year, but Corona (and perhaps the demonstrations in Hong Kong universities?) put an end to these plans.

And perhaps the fact HK is no longer considered safe or remotely democratic. It would not look good for a monarch's grandson to show any kind of implied support by going there now.

Are any of Alexandra's family still there?

It has been confirmed that Nikolai will move to Paris.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/prins-nikolai-flytter-fra-danmark-se-hvorhen
https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-nikolai-til-bt-jeg-flytter-til-paris

He is currently studying Business Administration and Service Management at Copenhagen Business School, and he will now study for one semester at Paris School of Business from September 2021 to January 2022.

He will not be living with his father though.
Nor is it known whether his sweetheart, Birgitte Thoustrup will go with him.

Confirmed by her father Anders that she is study in Paris too

"- Benedikte is going to study in Paris, yes. So she also comes along, Anders Thoustrup tells SE og HØR."

https://www.seoghoer.dk/kongelige/flytter-med-til-paris

Good for them. ?

And just as good, Nikolai will not be living with his father, so Nikolai and Benedikte will no doubt live together.

It will be good for Prince Nikolai to live outside his parents' home and study abroad.

It will be good for Prince Nikolai to live outside his parents' home and study abroad.

He has been living with a girlfriend for some time now. It has been a long time since he permanently lived with his mother (would that be before he started high school - as he went boarding at that time?).

Felix has confirmed that he has a sweetheart.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/bt-afsloerer-her-er-prins-felix-kaereste

They have been dating for some time now.
She is Karen Bak, a sweet looking and pretty high school graduate. She did not attend the same highschool as Felix though.
She has also gone at Tranegårds school where M&F's children go. And considering that high school is three years, and she may not have taken a gap year, she would have been at Tranegårds school at the same time as certainly Christian and Isabella.
The neighborhood around that school suggests to me that she is more than likely to come from an affluent family.

She graduated from Ingrid Jespersens Gymnasieskole - a private school.

How nice for the two of them. Hopefully the media will leave her in peace but it doesn't seem they are after Nikolai's girlfriend that much, so I guess she will be fine. Will be interesting to see how they manage their relationship while he is in the army.

Who is he vacationing with and where were those pictures taken?

The photos were posted on instagram. I don't know where the photos were taken or who the people were with Nikolai.

I believe the Instagram account who relayed the pictures has mentioned he's in France with his girlfriend and some friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom