Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, News Part 2: July 2018 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Muhler , Nicolai and Felix are living in Denmark. Why were they not invited at the Easter celebration of their Grand Mother Queen Margrethe II with the Crown Prince wife and Children.
I suppose Joachim has to stay in France for Covid .

I very much doubt they were not invited. I'm pretty sure Alexandra's mum lives in Denmark. Not unlikely that they've simply been celebrating Easter in Copenhagen with their other grandmother and Alexandra – an added benefit of that is that they'd be close to their friends on the days they aren't having Easter lunch with the family ;)

On June 9 the board meeting of the Nikolai and Felix Foundation took place at Amalienborg:

"In 2021, the foundation has distributed DKK 465,000 to 19 projects with DKK 185,000 for cultural purposes, DKK 25,000 for social and humanitarian purposes and DKK 255,000 for educational and research purposes", the Palace has listed the recipients today:

** kongehuset: Uddelinger fra Nikolai og Felix Fonden 2021 **

It would be nice to see how involved Nikolai and Felix are in this Foundation. I dont think we have seen them participate or a photo or two. They are certainly old enough.

It would be nice to see how involved Nikolai and Felix are in this Foundation. I dont think we have seen them participate or a photo or two. They are certainly old enough.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

Surely it wouldn't take up too many hours of their lives each year.
It is after all in their name.
So at least Nikolai could show up.

Indeed.

The last examination was Danish and he got 12 = top marks.

That's a good day for his proud parents.

Glasses suit Alexandra, methinks.

Major congratulations to Felix! I wonder if we'll get a picture of him running after the "studentervogn" on Friday – a tradition for students finishing off their final exam with a 12.

Major congratulations to Felix! I wonder if we'll get a picture of him running after the "studentervogn" on Friday – a tradition for students finishing off their final exam with a 12.
Will the graduations in Denmark go on as usual or are there still restrictions?

Well done to Felix!
He looks completely happy

Will the graduations in Denmark go on as usual or are there still restrictions?

Pretty sure they're limiting the actual graduation ceremonies to only include a handful of classes at a time but other than that, I think most restrictions that would've affected the usual celebrations have been lifted.

Pretty sure they're limiting the actual graduation ceremonies to only include a handful of classes at a time but other than that, I think most restrictions that would've affected the usual celebrations have been lifted.
So let the drinking begin

Let's have a look at what Felix said:

Joachim had returned from France to put the cap on the head of Felix. - It's tradition that a parent/grandparent or another who is important to the student puts the graduation cap on the head of the student.
It's also tradition that at least the parents and siblings are present - and often grandparents and sweethearts as well.

"It's unfortunately only for a short while. But just the fact that he is here, that is of course nice. My father put the cap on my head. My mother did it with Nikolai. It was a big moment."
The family was heading for a lunch together.

The final examination ended with top marks but Felix is not yet certain about his average.
"I haven't quite worked that out yet. But it sure isn't low."

Q: Are you actually the braniac of the family?

"Mm-yeah."

In the autumn Felix will start in the military.

One year in the town of Slagelse and the second year at a barracks of your own choice. - The (reserve) officers training in the army.

"It's been a big tradition in the family. Now my brother has tried it, so now I thought I'd try it as well."

Felix don't expect to opt out like Nikolai:
"I have been very determined to do it for some time."

After the two years in the army he may opt for Copenhagen Business School. But that is not yet for certain.
He will miss his high school as he met many new friends there, but Corona had an effect in the sense that he was schooled online for a year and a half. (Out of three years.)

It's interesting because based on this picture the court released for Nikolai's graduation and its caption, I've always thought that Joachim put the hate on Nikolai's head but now it turns out it was Alexandra. I wonder why they didn't just write that. But very neat that Joachim and Alexandra got to do it with a son each.

ETA (x2): After listening to BT's clip, I actually think Felix says that Joachim also did it with Nikolai which makes the DRF photo and captions make sense again. That, in return, means that Alexandra haven't gotten to do it but I suppose Joachim is able to reach better ?

On another note, Felix has always looked a lot like Joachim but going off of today's videos, I also think he sounds a lot like him. Truly his father's son! :D

ETA: He also says he'd been hoping for history in his last exam but got Danish – and still got top grades. He might've been hesitant to call himself the brainiac of the family but it sounds like he's got that title locked in.

Last edited:
I guess the press office got a few photos and wrote the captions based on that. - Without being told the details.

Must happen more often than we think.

ADDED:
Nikolai ain't stupid, that's for sure. But for whatever reason I have always seen Felix as - what we in DK jockingly refer to - being more practical minded than his older brother. Only shows how wrong you can be.

Last edited:
Felix may very well be "the brainiac" and it sounds like he did very well on his exams. But a more typical response from a brainiac is "I've always enjoyed school/learning." To me, it sounds like he might just be making a joke he can tease Nikolai about for the next six months. Besides, somehow I thought bragging about your academics is frowned upon in DK?

:previous: I don't know how well it comes across to non-Danish speakers but he was very clearly not bragging about anything. When asked if he was the brainiac of the family, his answer was closer to "eh" than "yes" and he clearly looked a bit uneasy answering. He also looked slightly uncomfortable when a journalist asked Nikolai how he felt about Felix "beating" his final grade. He generally seemed very humble and just happy – also in terms of getting top grades.

Last edited:
Indeed, he had his hair shaved off by his mother. (The word used is : Kronraget = shaved off. But it may simply be a very, very close haircut. BB is sometimes not that accurate.)

"Yes, the hair is gone."

And it didn't happen as a consequence of a (wet) celebration:
"No, no, I'm after all joining the miliary after the summer holiday, so it's my mother who has cut it off."

And he did run behind the graduation-cart, explained Joachim:
"The rule is that if you get a 12 in the last examination, you must run after the cart to the first stop."

(First stop depends on tradition: For some high schools it's simply to home of the first student who is among those on the wagon. Sometimes alphabetically, sometimes geographically. But some high schools have a tradition that they start by running around say a fountain in the town center or something like that.)

Joachim summed up:
"It's been very moving, so yes, I'm very proud. It's totally epic."

Felix may very well be "the brainiac" and it sounds like he did very well on his exams. But a more typical response from a brainiac is "I've always enjoyed school/learning." To me, it sounds like he might just be making a joke he can tease Nikolai about for the next six months. Besides, somehow I thought bragging about your academics is frowned upon in DK?

It is as such.
But it's perfectly acceptable to show that you are proud of your achievements.
The Jantelov = Law of Jante = Tall Poppy Syndrome is no longer as pronounced in DK as it still is in certainly Norway.
- Fortunately I'd say. Because I do think you should be allowed to be proud of an achievement that is the result of talent and hard work.
But bragging about it, that's a no-no.

Last edited by a moderator:
The context I read about was a woman who was having coffee with her friends. She mentioned how well her son was doing in math, and got what she said were essentially "blank stares". She said later that if she'd said he was doing well in art or drama, that would have been acceptable and provoked polite interest, but not academics.

The context I read about was a woman who was having coffee with her friends. She mentioned how well her son was doing in math, and got what she said were essentially "blank stares". She said later that if she'd said he was doing well in art or drama, that would have been acceptable and provoked polite interest, but not academics.

Did this happen in DK?
I guess it was indeed perceived as bragging.

- A normal context is that it is mentioned that one's child has graduated from whatever.
Then you are asked how he/she did at the examination. You say so.
And if your child got top marks, you are genuinely and sincerely congratulated.
Then you chat a little back and forth about the details - and that's it.
- You don't do a song and dance act about it. Because of course you as a parent is over the moon with pride!
And of course you are allowed to say during the chit-chat that you feel like step-dancing down the street with pride because your Holger/Avilda got a 12. That's understandable and endearing - but don't go beyond that. ;)

Last edited:
Good for him! That studentervogn looks like a Mardi Gras float, New Orleans style.

And he did run behind the graduation-cart, explained Joachim:
"The rule is that if you get a 12 in the last examination, you must run after the cart to the first stop."

(First stop depends on tradition: For some high schools it's simply to home of the first student who is among those on the wagon. Sometimes alphabetically, sometimes geographically. But some high schools have a tradition that they start by running around say a fountain in the town center or something like that.)

Joachim summed up:
"It's been very moving, so yes, I'm very proud. It's totally epic."

I had no clue what '12' stood for but based on the comments I figured it was rather good. According to this website it is the highest mark possible.

Can anyone of our Danish friends give an indication how many students will graduate with a 12 (average?).

It clearly is not comparable to the highest Dutch grade as nobody ever has a 10 on average - that would mean that you didn't make a single mistake in any test ever. But based probably comparable to a 8.5 or 9 or so? Which is excellent! Well done by the prince.

Aw, such wonderful pictures! :D Impossible not to smile seeing that, it's such a special time.

And the haircut looks great on Felix. I've always thought he looked much better with a shorter cut – but not unlike his cousin Christian, I suppose he's been inspired by the current fashion of longer hair.

Not a fan of his new hairstyle but guess it'll work for the army.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom