The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-25-2018, 11:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Junkfrau (Jkfr.) was used only sporadically but apparently did exist: see the third alinea under sub-headline "honorific" : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junker

Old 11-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Coming back to Prince Nikolai , a lot of royals are now "People".
He is following the same way as Charlotte, Jazmin Grace, Kitty and Olympia.
Poor Gotha !

Old 11-25-2018, 12:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

(This has now been edited so much that I've decided to repost.)

This is pretty interesting!

No, I haven't seen that movie, Kataryn. (You did notice your Mads' brother won an Emmy BTW?)

Frøken = Danish for fräulein or miss is an old way of address, perhaps even older than jomfru/Jungfrau/miss here in DK?
I don't know if we just adopted the German word as is or whether it originally here in DK was also a kind of diminutive for frue/Frau/mrs.
Here in DK "frøken" was a very common way of polite address until the whole thing about mr, mrs, and miss basically went out of use here in the early 70's. Just as formal You.
To the endless amusement of my children I addressed my teachers with mr/mrs/miss and surname for the first years at school, and for some teachers that never changed.

Piga in Swedish is directly translated to "pige" in Danish. However, that word is still used about a girl. In Sweden they use "flicka" for a girl.
Interestingly the Swedish word. "dreng" = domestic male servant, usually on a farm, simply means boy in Danish and is used for all young males.
The Danish word for a man you employed for practical use was usually "karl" = carl. Or a "svend" in towns.
But the word "pige" was also in DK used about a domestic female servant, whether in a house or on a farm, but it has remained in use for all young females without being considered derogatory.
Interestingly the word "madame" was used in general about women in polite society, pronounced in the French way. But around a 100 years ago it was common to refer to some women as "madame", now with an audible e. It was not always a polite reference. And the derogatory variant "madamme" with an even more audible e was certainly not polite! That was, also in papers, used about trashy, loud and foul-mouthed women of low class. Like a hag or bag.

But let's go back to Joachim's children and propel ourselves back to 1750 where all this thing about titles was very much alive and well. And let us play that Joachim and our Marie are now count and countess for all four children. Divorce was hardly an option, so Alexandra has been written out.
By their peers Joachim would be addressed Hr Greve = Mr. Count. Marie would usually be addressed in third person (the) Grevinden = Countess.
By people who are still up there but of lesser rank Joachim would likely be addressed Hr. Greve or Hr. (the) Greven (third person) Marie again in third person Fru Grevinden = Mrs. (the) Countess.
By more subservient persons both would addressed: Deres nåde = Your Grace.
In more direct but subservient address would have been Eder = Thou or Thy.
Or by a lowborn, but not a servant or tenant who would likely address J&M as Eders Nåde. I'n not sure how to translate to English.
By their own servants or the peasants living on their land, they would be invariable be addressed in third person as Nådigherren or Nådigfruen = something like Your Gracious/Graciousness or Gracious Sir/Gracious Madam. And they would naturally take off their hats and bow/curtsy before even addressing J&M.
In return J&M would address senior servants and staff with formal You.
Servants who were close to them with "du" = informal you.
And everybody else in third person "han" or "hun" = he, her. Examples: "Ah, I see his wheat field is fine this year." "Can he get his cart out of my way!"
That, despite the fact that Joachim as a conscientious landholder was expected to know the heads of each family by name and also know at least who their sons and daughters were.
In fact they would likely feel flattered if Joachim addressed them by name. Still in third person though. Examples: "Well, done! Peter has always has a way with horses." or "Yes, Anne is a good, hardworking wife."

And that form of address to servants would apply to M&J's children as well.

The boys would all be Greve = Count in their own right. While Athena would Komtesse = Comtesse.
Let's go straight to Athena, because she's the most interesting in this aspect.
Like her mother she could expect to be addressed in third person by everyone.
Either Komtessen = the Comtess or more informally or in general: Frøkenen = the miss.
She would invariably be addressed by everyone, except her closer relatives and closest friends, with various forms of formal you.
Peasants and servants would address her in third person as "nådigfrøkenen" = (the) Gracious Miss.

Addressing members of the DRF in third person is also today very common, also in direct address.

The medieval polite word for a miss here in DK was "mø" Derived directly from maidenhead (the DK word being mødom) it was used about a young unmarried, virtuous woman usually of good family.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:03 PM
Majesty

For Nikolai it is 100% sure that he will never be King, so he can and should live a normal life (i.e. to work and gain money).
Old 11-25-2018, 03:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I think you nailed it.

And yes, I think working abroad is a good option, as long as he doesn't get himself involved in something stupid. Out of sight, out of mind. - But of course that means a de facto exile.
I don’t think it’s a de facto exile so much as a recognition that, like everyone else in the world, members of royal families have to make choices, and that choosing one thing means giving up something else.

If Nikolai wants to remain in Denmark and continue being known as HH Prince Nikolai, (with the obvious connection to the monarch that entails), then his safe career options are limited. By safe I mean unlikely to cause controversy or lead to him getting involved in something stupid.

If he wants to go into finance, for example, or start some sort of business, or really do anything that involves clients and/or money, he should do so as Mr. Nikolai X and at least the beginning phases should take place outside Denmark.

For someone in Nikolai’s position trying to establish a career in Denmark in which you need to make or manage money, get and keep clients or just generally make a name for yourself would be a losing battle on two fronts. On one hand there would be no challenge - things would be almost too easy because there would be so many people anxious to get close to a member of the DRF. He’d never know if he was successful because of his actual talent or because of his family background. On the other hand he’d have it harder in some ways than a random commoner because the public and media scrutiny and potential backlash in response to any mistake he made would be so great.

And of course he’d still get plenty of career perks and privileges if he settled abroad. But in that case I think the majority of Danes wouldn’t care - like you said, out of sight, out of mind - and there would be more checks and limits placed on him in a place where he wasn’t a big fish in a small pond.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Junkfrau (Jkfr.) was used only sporadically but apparently did exist: see the third alinea under sub-headline "honorific" : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junker

Thank you for looking this up. I tried to find documents in German, but only ever came up with quotes going back to wiki...
Old 11-29-2018, 06:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

The saga about Nikolai and the rental car continues!

https://www.bt.dk/royale/alexandra-u...-prins-nikolai

Alexandra has now retracted her statement that Nikolai was exploited by the car company Sixt.
Via her secretary she has said that "new informations in the matter" means that she can no longer say that Nikolai was exploited by Sixt.

The owner of the car-hiring company, Henrik Keller Isaksen, says:
"I feel sorry for the young Prince that he has been misunderstood in this context."
Jeg synes, det er synd for den unge prins, at han er blevet misforstået i denne sammenhæng,

He does not seem willing to comment on, who made this cock-up:
"This is a matter the DRF will have to take up with the press themselves."
Det er en sag, som kongehuset selv må tage med pressen,

BT has asked a royal expert, Henrik Byager, for a comment. And to sum up his conclusion in very simple terms: Alexandra has been told to check with the court, before making statements that involves members of the DRF - including her own son.

--------------

- This seems a little murky to me!
My opinion right now is that either it was a case of mutual misunderstanding between Nikolai and the car company.
Or Nikolai had been perfectly willing to do an advert for the company. (Perhaps even offering it himself? For a discount?)
That was a no go, so the court whacked him on the head and issued a statement that was basically an apology on behalf of Nikolai.
Whatever happened, it appears that Henrik Isaksen was in good faith when the photos of Nikolai were published, albeit on the company website only. And that seems to me to have been acknowledged early on by the DRF.

So IMO Nikolai seems to have made an independent decision he shouldn't have and he didn't check with anyone first.
Well, people make mistakes. What matters is of course whether he learns from them. And it was perhaps time the DRF laid out some clear guidelines for Nikolai and Felix too for what is go and no go for a member of the DRF.

As for Alexandra, IMO someone called her and told her not to issue statements before coordinating it with the DRF. - Get it, Alex!?!
Old 11-29-2018, 07:36 PM
Majesty

agree. Im leaning towards Nikolai willingly posing. Now lessons learned.
What made it worse was Alexandra's statement. The DRF statement was enough and any disagreements could be handed privately. She left Nikolai looking as very naive
Old 11-29-2018, 09:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
agree. Im leaning towards Nikolai willingly posing. Now lessons learned.
What made it worse was Alexandra's statement. The DRF statement was enough and any disagreements could be handed privately. She left Nikolai looking as very naive
And herself looking very protective without apparently knowing the full story. She probably went ahead with Nikolai's version who painted a slightly better picture of himself than what was going on - probably not expecting his mother to twist it even more and go public.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Nikolai in Dior show in Tokyo today!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqzvzjAFHAM/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqzomHxlLPZ/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bqztp7iF6oa/
Old 11-30-2018, 12:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
You can tell he is growing into a confident model !
Old 11-30-2018, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Here are a few more photos of Nikolai on the runway today:

** rex gallery **
Old 11-30-2018, 03:43 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Nikolai certainly has a very "model" essence about him.
Regarding the Sixt issue, I doubt that he was exploited as Alexandra states. I think he voluntarily agreed to do it, as it would lead to more exposure and publicity for him as a model. Perhaps she doesn't approve of his modelling career and, maybe this is a far stretch, but is saying such things to the media to try and get Nikolai to get discouraged by modelling and focus on a more "princely" career/start further education?

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-30-2018, 06:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think Alexandra has anything against Nikolai modelling. On the contrary in fact!
There are references in this thread to Alexandra being involved in Nikolai's modeling work, albeit from the sideline. It was also a friend of Alexandra who approached her in order to offer Nikolai the chance of becoming a model. The head of the modeling agency Nikolai belongs to, is a friend of Alexandra.
The one who would perhaps like to discourage Nikolai from pursuing a professional modeling career would IMO more likely be Joachim.

ADDED:

https://www.bt.dk/royale/alexandra-v...-prins-nikolai
Alexandra was present today when he walked the catwalk.
Nikolai had a prominent role in the show.
Alexandra said via her secretary:
"It went totally fantastic. I was very overwhelmed by the fantastic show and the atmosphere was so good. I'm immensely proud of him, he did so well."

The creative head of his agency, Sune Planer said:
"The last time he opened and closed the show and today he closed it. He did it really good and closed the show and that is in itself a huge honor and very prestigious, so we are very proud of that."
Old 11-30-2018, 09:24 PM
Majesty

Two pictures of Nikolai and Alexandra in Tokyo from Alexandra's friend's Instagram.
http://imageupper.com/s12/1/3/O1543625795313669_2.png
http://imageupper.com/s12/1/3/O1543625795313669_1.png

https://www.instagram.com/stories/brett_lloyd/
Old 12-01-2018, 12:14 AM
Courtier

It doesn't look like Prince Nikolai.
It doesn't look like his mother either.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
It doesn't look like Prince Nikolai.
It doesn't look like his mother either.
It does look exactly like the both of them.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

It is Alexandra and Nikolai.

But what's a boo?
Old 12-01-2018, 03:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
It is Alexandra and Nikolai.

But what's a boo?
Usually it is a slang term for a boyfriend or girlfriend.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks.

Well, we'll see...
This dude seems somewhat ambivalent in his taste!