Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, News Part 2: July 2018 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coincidentally, the issue of royals giving up their titles is also being discussed now in another Swedish forum. My question here is the same I asked in that other forum: is that legally possible in the Scandinavian monarchies ?
Would you agree that Joachim's children could give up their titles but remain in the line of succession? It seems that would be a novelty for Denmark. I prefer consistency and while the current prince each have 4 children, I'd rather be on the safe side and make sure that the new standard is that all children and grandchildren of the monarch are in the line of the throne (it will be interesting to see what happens with Isabella's children regarding titles).

On the point of someone explaining to him "his responsabilities as a prince of Denmark", I'm afraid his mother actually encourages or has been supportive of his latest decisions (pursuing a modeling career, leaving the army, endorsing commercial products, etc.). With Frederik and Mary having four children, Nikolai is already 7th in the line of succession and will get increasingly lower in the future, so I guess the Queen and the Court don't really care too much about his antics. His father should be more concerned though and maybe he is the one who should talk to Nikolai about it.
Do you think his mother is encouraging him because she seems to be going the same route? Imo if Joachim doesn't step up grandma Margrethe should have a good conversation about certain commercial (and other) behaviors/endeavors not being compatible with being a member of the royal family.

Last edited:
And you are right, this a very much promotion. So unless this little piece has been written without an OK from Nikolai, this is advertising IMO.
And since he is basically lending his name - and title - I predict there will be a little controversy in the press.
This is something Christian in particular and M&F's children in general would not be able to get away with!
But Nikolai is pretty far down the pecking order and officially not a working royal. However, this is something not even Elisabeth ever did. And the two are very much comparable status-wise.

Even if the product is a good one. I would say that a member of the royal family shouldn't actively promote products for his own advantage (i.e. to get lots of money - just because of his name).

It would be different if he himself had his own business because in that case promotion would just be part of the job (like Märtha Louise with her Angel School or Bernhard with Levi9). In this case he was hired to promote a product just because he is a prince - and has no relationship in any other way.

Is there any discussion in Denmark about Nikolai's choices in this regard?

An interesting discussion. I agree that Nikolai, as a member of the royal family, has the same status as Elisabeth had: first cousin of the future monarch in their generation, HH Prince/ss of Denmark, a member of the Royal House, and in the line of succession with several cousins ahead of them.

Therefore, why have Queen Margrethe II's decisions changed regarding the status of working royal (Elisabeth was one) and acceptable career choice (since Nikolai's advertising promotions using his title would not have been allowed for Elisabeth) for royals of their status?

QMII can at any time strip any member of her family of their titles, except for the Crown Prince. Frederik titles and status is secure by law.

Is there a law regulating his titles? The Constitution does not require male heirs to the throne to use the title of Crown Prince. It does secure the succession rights of all people in the line of succession (not only the Crown Prince).

Last edited:
Is there a law regulating his titles? The Constitution does not require male heirs to the throne to use the title of Crown Prince. It does secure the succession rights of all people in the line of succession (not only the Crown Prince).

Yes.
The law is very specific. The Monarch cannot by his/her own decision change the status of the heir. That status is guaranteed by law. (Presumably that was to avoid a civil war, should a king fall out with his son and cut him off. Resulting in factions fighting for the new heir or the old heir.)
As such the official title of the heir, whatever that may be at any given time (i.e. The Heir or The Crown Prince/ss or The Successor etc.) is also secure.

So QMII can't do anything about Frederik becoming the next king. Not legally, that is. - Even if she should hate every single atom in his petulant body! :voodoo:
There are other ways to rid of him, but that would involve the Parliament and the courts. And that's besides the scope of this thread.

Do you think his mother is encouraging him because she seems to be going the same route? Imo if Joachim doesn't step up grandma Margrethe should have a good conversation about certain commercial (and other) behaviors/endeavors not being compatible with being a member of the royal family.

Alexandra seems to be going down the same route. I doubt she'll be of much help. I agree, Joachim (and/or QM) should have a talk with his son.

I hope this isn't the route the members of the next generation of the DRF (or any other royal families) will be taking.

Yes.
The law is very specific. The Monarch cannot by his/her own decision change the status of the heir. That status is guaranteed by law. (Presumably that was to avoid a civil war, should a king fall out with his son and cut him off. Resulting in factions fighting for the new heir or the old heir.)

[...]

So QMII can't do anything about Frederik becoming the next king. Not legally, that is. - Even if she should hate every single atom in his petulant body! :voodoo:
There are other ways to rid of him, but that would involve the Parliament and the courts. And that's besides the scope of this thread.

I agree! However, if the definition of "status" is "place in the line of succession", the Queen cannot change anyone's status by her own decision, even someone as far down the line of succession as Prince Nikolai. The Constitution does not allow the monarch to unilaterally make the decision to strip the succession rights of any person, unless she does so by denying her consent to their marriage (which is also required for the marriage of the Crown Prince). So, the status (in the line of succession) of Nikolai, Felix, Henrik, or Athena is as much guaranteed by law as Frederik's.

As such the official title of the heir, whatever that may be at any given time (i.e. The Heir or The Crown Prince/ss or The Successor etc.) is also secure.

If there is a law requiring the heir to have the title The Crown Prince/ss, I would appreciate a link to it (or the name of the law if it is unavailable online), since I've been led to believe that it is the prerogative of the Danish monarch to regulate royal titles, including the titles of the heir.

Last edited:
I agree! However, if the definition of "status" is "place in the line of succession", the Queen cannot change anyone's status by her own decision, even someone as far down the line of succession as Prince Nikolai. The Constitution does not allow the monarch to unilaterally make the decision to strip the succession rights of any person, unless she does so by denying her consent to their marriage (which is also required for the marriage of the Crown Prince). So, the status (in the line of succession) of Nikolai, Felix, Henrik, or Athena is as much guaranteed by law as Frederik's.

If there is a law requiring the heir to have the title The Crown Prince/ss, I would appreciate a link to it (or the name of the law if it is unavailable online), since I've been led to believe that it is the prerogative of the Danish monarch to regulate royal titles, including the titles of the heir.

No, only the heir is protected from being stripped of his status by the monarch by law. Those further down the line are not.
I have written about this several times before with referenced to the specific paragraph and a translation.
I don't have time to find the specific link right now. That I'll leave to someone else.

No, only the heir is protected from being stripped of his status by the monarch by law. Those further down the line are not.
I have written about this several times before with referenced to the specific paragraph and a translation.
I don't have time to find the specific link right now. That I'll leave to someone else.

Here is the link to the English version of the Constitution, including the Act of Succession.

https://www.thedanishparliament.dk/...nstitutional_act_of_denmark_2013,-d-,pdf.ashx

From the link, here is the full Act of Succession. It does not appear (to me) to give the rights of those further down the line any less protection than the rights of the crown prince, but I am open to any explanation. :flowers:

THE ACT ON SUCCESSION TO THE THRONE OF THE KINGDOM OF DENMARK OF MARCH 27th 1953, AMENDED ON JUNE 12th 2009
§ 1
The throne shall be inherited by the descendants of King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine.
§ 2
(1) Upon the death of a King or a reigning Queen, the throne shall pass to his/her son or daughter, the elder child taking precedence over the younger child.
(2) If one of the King’s or reigning Queen’s children has died, the issue of the deceased person shall take his/her place according to lineal descent and to the rules laid down in Sub-section 1.
§ 3
If a King or a reigning Queen dies without issue who is entitled to inherit the throne, the brother or sister of the King or reigning Queen shall succeed to the throne. If the King or the reigning Queen has several brothers or sisters or if some of their respective brothers or sisters have died, the rules laid down in Section 2 shall apply correspondingly.
§ 4
If no person is entitled to succeed to the throne in accordance with the provisions laid down in Sections 2 and 3, the throne shall pass to the nearest collateral descendants of King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine according to lineal descent, the elder person taking precedence over the younger in accordance with Sections 2 and 3.
§ 5
(1) Only children born in lawful wedlock are entitled to succeed to the throne.
(2) The King or the reigning Queen shall not marry without the consent of the Folketing.
(3) If a person who is entitled to succeed to the throne decides to marry without the King’s or reigning Queen’s consent which shall be given during a meeting of the Council of State, he/she forfeits his/her right to succeed to the throne and so do his/her children born in lawful wedlock and their issue.
§ 6
If a King or a reigning Queen decides to abdicate, the provisions in Sections 2-5 shall apply.
§ 7
This Act enters into force conjointly with the Constitutional Act of the Kingdom of Denmark of June 5th 1953.

Look at the older versions of §2.

There it is specified that the Monarch cannot remove the Heir from the Line of Succession. - That is now simplified to say that the Heir will take over - period!
The reason for this specification was and is that it is up the monarch to decide what titles the members of her family gets - except of course the Heir. I.e. Frederik because the law says he will become the next king. Period!
But there is nothing to hinder QMII from stripping say Mary of her title as Crown Princess, and decide she should only be Countess of Montpezat. - She is still married to the crown Prince, only with a lesser title.
Nor is there anything to hinder her from stripping Joachim from his title of Prince to Denmark. - It would cause a stir alright! But she can do it.
Should Frederik's line somehow become extinct next week, it will be Joachim's line, the Parliament will look at first when considering who to select as candidate for the next king - even though Joachim is no longer officially listed on the Line of Succession.
Keep in mind the Count Ingolf was also officially in the Line of Succession.

There simply is no such thing as the 274th in line for the throne in Denmark, like there is in Britain. It has been simplified.

However, the Parliament would no doubt cough disapprovingly should QMII consider stripping M&F's children of their titles. Especially Christian!
But how about Isabella's grandchildren, should she have any? Should they remain officially listed in The Line of Succession? Still be princes/princesses even though Christian has grandchildren of his own in this hypothetical future?

It's a question of practicality.

It will probably be Frederik who will have to decide one day what titles Joachim's children and their spouses will have. And I'm pretty certain he will "cut the list short" at that point.

Hmm, the press release from SiXT has been deleted from the internet ...

I understood the discussion of the last few posts to be about succession, not titles. Succession is regulated by the Act of Succession, while titles are not. The Act of Succession provides that Frederik will become the next king, but his title of Crown Prince was not decided by the Act of Succession (the Act of Succession does not use the word Crown Prince).

I agree that, theoretically, Queen Margrethe II could strip Prince Joachim of his title. However, the Act of Succession does not give her the prerogative to remove him from the line of succession (unless she denies him consent to marry a third time and he marries without her consent, the same way Count Ingolf was removed from the line of succession).

As you also pointed out, the Act of Succession decides that Frederik will become the next king, regardless of what the Queen or Parliament desires. It decides the whole line of succession the same way: If something happened to Margrethe, Frederik, and Frederik's children, Joachim would become king under the Act of Succession, no matter what Queen Margrethe II had decided about Joachim's title.

Last edited:
Smells like a phone call from the court...
To me there's a fine line that Nikolai, probably unknowing, crossed. It's OK for him to walk the runway and do photoshoots, but it's not OK to do adds like this where it seems he profits personally by receiving gifts.
Of course we all know that he gets paid by Dior et al, but it does, again to me, look bad if he walks around Copenhagen receiving stuff for appearing on photos.

Last edited:
I understood the discussion of the last few posts to be about succession, not titles. Succession is regulated by the Act of Succession, while titles are not. The Act of Succession provides that Frederik will become the next king, but his title of Crown Prince was not decided by the Act of Succession (the Act of Succession does not use the word Crown Prince).

The title in the Constitution is actually Tronfølgeren = The Next on the Throne.
The Monarch is referred to as The King in the Constitution, regardless of QMII being the Monarch. She is as we all know a woman...

Frederik's official current title is The Crown Prince. - He is also sometimes called The Successor, The Heir, The regent (when he mans the fort) and so on. The text in the law books is and has to be very specific however, hence why the Heir is referred to as Tronfølgeren, so that there can be no doubt as to what kind of creature we are talking about.
Crown Prince just happens to be the official title for the (male) heirs for centuries.
QM, being an exception in every way, was referred to as Tronfølgeren, because traditionally a crown princess is a person married to the next king. And there was the off chance that Frederik IX got a son.

I agree that, theoretically, Queen Margrethe II could strip Prince Joachim of his title. However, the Act of Succession does not give her the prerogative to remove him from the line of succession (unless she denies him consent to marry a third time and he marries without her consent, the same way Count Ingolf was removed from the line of succession).

Which happened with the full approval of the Parliament. Had the Parliament objected Ingolf would have remained a prince.
It was a question of reducing the number of royals, and brutally speaking also sidelining the Rosenborg line. They were basically laid off. - All the Rosenborgs still remained on the long list in case of an emergency.
Again, there is no such thing as the 684th in line for the throne in DK. The number of official royals are routinely reduced. Otherwise we would in three generations have perhaps 41 prince/ess running around all over the place! And DK is too small for that. And the public wouldn't approve of such a royal "title-inflation" either.

As you also pointed out, the Act of Succession decides that Frederik will become the next king, regardless of what the Queen or Parliament desires. It decides the whole line of succession the same way: If something happened to Margrethe, Frederik, and Frederik's children, Joachim would become king under the Act of Succession, no matter what Queen Margrethe II had decided about Joachim's title.

Unless the Parliament officially declares him unfit - backed by the courts. I.e. insane or unworthy or unfit (i.e. physically handicapped.)
He had married without consent. (QMII being against the marriage and as such also the Parliament. Or the Parliament being against the marriage and refusing to approve it.)
He is not a member of the State Church. (DK is not a secular country, it's a Christian country.)
He had not signed a pledge to obey the Constitution.
Becomes a foreign citizen.

If Joachim is no longer Prince, his official title is therefore no longer Prince to Denmark. That means he is no longer royal. He would still be on the long list of people to look at in an emergency (just like Ingolf and Knud's children), but he is not on the official short list, which is The Line of Succession. Currently that list is down to 12 people IIRC.

Last edited:
To me there's a fine line that Nikolai, probably unknowing, crossed. It's OK for him to walk the runway and do photoshoots, but it's not OK to do adds like this where it seems he profits personally by receiving gifts.
Of course we all know that he gets paid by Dior et al, but it does, again to me, look bad if he walks around Copenhagen receiving stuff for appearing on photos.

Yes, or at least a nice discount...
And if you get a nice discount you might be willing to pose for a couple of photos.

And if we look at the whole thing with a good deal of benefit of doubt, we can imagine that the company didn't think it wasn't wrong to use Nikolai in a little advert - after all he is only a minor royal with no official role...

Perhaps Nikolai needs a "think and don't get sucked" course? :D

The title in the Constitution is actually Tronfølgeren = The Next on the Throne.
The Monarch is referred to as The King in the Constitution, regardless of QMII being the Monarch. She is as we all know a woman...

Frederik's official current title is The Crown Prince. - He is also sometimes called The Successor, The Heir, The regent (when he mans the fort) and so on. The text in the law books is and has to be very specific however, hence why the Heir is referred to as Tronfølgeren, so that there can be no doubt as to what kind of creature we are talking about.
Crown Prince just happens to be the official title for the (male) heirs for centuries.
QM, being an exception in every way, was referred to as Tronfølgeren, because traditionally a crown princess is a person married to the next king. And there was the off chance that Frederik IX got a son.

Then I believe we are in agreement, that Frederik's title was not decided by the text of the current law books, but by the centuries of tradition.

Which happened with the full approval of the Parliament. Had the Parliament objected Ingolf would have remained a prince.

As far as the example of Ingolf is concerned, my emphasis was that Queen Margrethe II was legally incapable of removing him (or anyone) from the line of succession by her own will alone (even if the Parliament did not object).

It was a question of reducing the number of royals, and brutally speaking also sidelining the Rosenborg line. They were basically laid off. - All the Rosenborgs still remained on the long list in case of an emergency.
Again, there is no such thing as the 684th in line for the throne in DK. The number of official royals are routinely reduced. Otherwise we would in three generations have perhaps 41 prince/ess running around all over the place! And DK is too small for that. And the public wouldn't approve of such a royal "title-inflation" either.

[...]

If Joachim is no longer Prince, his official title is therefore no longer Prince to Denmark. That means he is no longer royal. He would still be on the long list of people to look at in an emergency (just like Ingolf and Knud's children), but he is not on the official short list, which is The Line of Succession. Currently that list is down to 12 people IIRC.

Muhler, in order that I don't misread the arguments you've made, could you please clarify your definition of "official royals", "The Line of Succession", "short list", and "long list"? And, to be specific, is it your argument that if the Queen stripped a Prince/ss to Denmark of their royal title, the removal of their title would remove them from the line of succession? Thank you in advance. :flowers:

:previous:

Various MPs and ministers have over the years made it clear that titles bestowed by the Danish monarch, usually within the family, including ex-wives, is decided exclusively by the monarch. - Except for the crown prince, because that person has a specific Constitutional role and as such is mentioned specifically in the Constitution and in the Law of Succession.
However, there is always a however. Should the Parliament for political or in the name of national interests object to a title, or a title being stripped, then of course the monarch will take that into consideration.
The result being either a showdown with the Parliament.
Backing down.
Or finding a compromise.

- But de facto the monarch has the exclusive right to bestow and strip titles within the family, because the Parliament will only intervene in extreme cases.
After all no man, not even a monarch is an island.

The political realities was such that there were no political or public objections to the Rosenborgs being sidelined by stripping them of their titles under the convenient pretext of them marrying commoners.
And at the same time also cutting the numbers of Danish royals short, which suited everyone. Except perhaps the Rosenborgs...

Tatiana Marie ?, you are staring blindly at the text in the law, while I am explaining how it works in real life.
One of the reasons for this paradox is that it is very difficult to change the Constitution and the Law of Succession.
But the Danish Constitution is neither black and white, nor absolute.
Most of the paragraphs actually come with a condition:
§XX - blah, blah - unless another (ordinary) law says something else.
The thinking behind this little detail is crucial to keep in mind.

The Line of Succession - is the official list of people who are in line to the Danish throne. Currently they constitute Frederik, Frederik's four children. Joachim, Joachim's four children. And Benedikte. - No one else! - That's The Short List.
- However, if they all die, we have to go looking for a new monarch. I.e. we will look at The Long List first. They constitute all descendants of Christian VIII - who fit the conditions laid out, mind you!
If none of those are suitable or willing, the Parliament will look outside the list of descendants of Christian VIII and that could be pretty much anyone!
That of course is way out the hypothetical highway!

And to answer your last question: Yes.
QMII can strip Joachim and all his children of their royal titles, so that they are no longer prince/ss to Denmark, and as such no longer royals, and no longer in The Line of Succession.
The most common pretexts for doing that used to be "marrying a commoner" or "marrying without consent."
But there are other ways:
Like "being volunteered" to give up their royal status.
Or if they "decide" to sign out of the Danish State Church. - That basically only requires a few clicks on the computer. Once the confirmation has ticked in, they can't even be a Rigsforstander anymore.
Or omitting to sign the pledge to obey the Constitution. - Again, they can't be a Rigsforstander and they can hardly be a working royal either. An official representative for Denmark who hasn't pledged to obey the Constitution? No, no!
They can give up their citizenship. I'm not even sure if a dual-citizenship would be acceptable. You can hardly reign in Denmark while at the same time being a subject of another country.
Murder someone, but that is perhaps a little too extreme. :D

Various MPs and ministers have over the years made it clear that titles bestowed by the Danish monarch, usually within the family, including ex-wives, is decided exclusively by the monarch. - Except for the crown prince, because that person has a specific Constitutional role and as such is mentioned specifically in the Constitution and in the Law of Succession.
However, there is always a however. Should the Parliament for political or in the name of national interests object to a title, or a title being stripped, then of course the monarch will take that into consideration.
Backing down.
Or finding a compromise.

- But de facto the monarch has the exclusive right to bestow and strip titles within the family, because the Parliament will only intervene in extreme cases.

The political realities was such that there were no political or public objections to the Rosenborgs being sidelined by stripping them of their titles under the convenient pretext of them marrying commoners.
And at the same time also cutting the numbers of Danish royals short, which suited everyone. Except perhaps the Rosenborgs...

Tatiana Marie [emoji2], you are staring blindly at the text in the law, while I am explaining how it works in real life.
One of the reasons for this paradox is that it is very difficult to change the Constitution and the Law of Succession.

The Line of Succession - is the official list of people who are in line to the Danish throne. Currently they constitute Frederik, Frederik's four children. Joachim, Joachim's four children. And Benedikte. - No one else! - That's The Short List.
- However, if they all die, we have to go looking for a new monarch. I.e. we will look at The Long List first. They constitute all descendants of Christian VIII - who fit the conditions laid out, mind you!
If none of those are suitable or willing, the Parliament will look outside the list of descendants of Christian VIII and that could be pretty much anyone!

QMII can strip Joachim and all his children of their royal titles, so that they are no longer prince/ss to Denmark, and as such no longer royals, and no longer in The Line of Succession.
The most common pretexts for doing that used to be "marrying a commoner" or "marrying without consent."
Or if they "decide" to sign out of the Danish State Church. - That basically only requires a few clicks on the computer. Once the confirmation has ticked in, they can't even be a Rigsforstander anymore.
Or omitting to sign the pledge to obey the Constitution. - Again, they can't be a Rigsforstander and they can hardly be a working royal either. An official representative for Denmark who hasn't pledged to obey the Constitution? No, no!
They can give up their citizenship. I'm not even sure if a dual-citizenship would be acceptable. You can hardly reign in Denmark while at the same time being a subject of another country.
Murder someone, but that is perhaps a little too extreme. [emoji3]
Nobody dives into the legal sources more often and better than Tatiana Maria in the forums which is a very welcome difference from all those quoting the Mailonline and thinking that's the whole thruth. But as you say Muhler much of the rules that guide the royals are informal and not written down. Added to that a major foundation of the Scandinavian legal systems is customs, practice and all the time in a slow process of change and evolving without the laws themselves being altered.
This, for instance regarding the Bernadottes and their handing out off and removing titles or the matter on discussion in this thread at the moment, makes it hard to find an absolute mention in a law to back up all decisions.

You've had a great discussion going on today that's been really interesting to read[emoji257]

Backing down.
Or finding a compromise.

Tatiana Marie ?, you are staring blindly at the text in the law, while I am explaining how it works in real life.

Your explanation is very informative! But, Muhler, I was "staring blindly at the text in the law" because I believed it was the subject both of us were discussing. ;) If, in truth, you were discussing the political realities in Denmark or the interventions of Parliament, and not the text of the law, then I am afraid that did not become clear to me with your previous posts.

I appreciate the useful reminder that the Constitution is not black and white. However, I cannot see any gray areas in the Act of Succession which would allow the monarch to remove people from the line of succession entirely by her own will. There would be little point to enacting an Act of Succession if the monarch could meddle with the line of succession at will.

Murder someone, but that is perhaps a little too extreme. :D

Interesting! However, my intention was indeed to ask you about your interpretation of the text of the law ;) - If a Prince/ss to Denmark did not disqualify themselves by resigning from the state religion or some other way, do you believe that merely having their title removed, simply because the Queen decided to remove it, would (by the text of the law) remove them from the line of succession?

But as you say Muhler much of the rules that guide the royals are informal and not written down. Added to that a major foundation of the Scandinavian legal systems is customs, practice and all the time in a slow process of change and evolving without the laws themselves being altered.
This, for instance regarding the Bernadottes and their handing out off and removing titles or the matter on discussion in this thread at the moment, makes it hard to find an absolute mention in a law to back up all decisions.

The situation is similar in numerous other monarchies and legal systems, and it is also a useful observation which I appreciate. ? However, because unwritten customs and practice are often swiftly adjusted when the political realities make them inconvenient, I've found that is often more challenging to interpret or make predictions grounded on customs compared to laws which are written in a clear, black-and-white manner.

Your explanation is very informative! But, Muhler, I was "staring blindly at the text in the law" because I believed it was the subject both of us were discussing. ;) If, in truth, you were discussing the political realities in Denmark or the interventions of Parliament, and not the text of the law, then I am afraid that did not become clear to me with your previous posts.

I appreciate the useful reminder that the Constitution is not black and white. However, I cannot see any gray areas in the Act of Succession which would allow the monarch to remove people from the line of succession entirely by her own will. There would be little point to enacting an Act of Succession if the monarch could meddle with the line of succession at will.

The older versions of §2 states specifically that the monarch cannot change the status of the Heir, and cannot remove the heir from the Line of Succession. That formed the basis of what has now been simplified to the firstborn is the heir. Period! (Unless there is another law saying something else... Namely that heir must be a Danish citizen. Must be a member of the State Church. Must sign a pledge to obey the Constitution. - And implicitly be worthy, able and of sound mind.)
QMII actually has a surprisingly lot of room to maneuver in regards to her family.
She is the head of state.
All authority of government stems from her person and position. It happens in her name.
It is her government.
It is her family.
It is her dynasty.
- The state merely require someone officially being the heir, and that from day one!
The reasoning behind that goes back almost a 1.000 years. Back when Danish kings were elected, or more correctly acknowledged. One of the first things they did when they got their first son, was to ensure he was acknowledged as the heir. - That ensured stability and there was no doubt as to who was the next on the throne, so potential pretenders could go take a hike!
I don't recall it ever happening, but there was always the risk the king decided to try and have the second born son acknowledged as the heir. - With all the potential chaos that might result in!
And that's why the status of the heir is so crucial in the Law of Succession and that's why the monarch can't do anything about it. - No civil war between pretenders here, thank you very much!

But as with any law, there are loads of loopholes.
Example: The law says that if the monarch leaves Danish territory, the heir automatically steps in as regent - or a rigsforstander has to be appointed, (as soon as possible) until the monarch (or regent) returns to Danish territory.
However, that "as soon as possible" has now been interpreted as within 24 hours, so today the monarch can be away from Danish territory for up to 24 hours, before a rigsforstander must to be appointed. (The heir is still regent the second the monarch leaves Danish territory though.)
There is nothing in the law specifying exactly how long a time has to pass, that has been left to interpretations and established customs. - And the current threat level. After all the rigsforstander will also function as the commander in chief and the Swedes might invade any moment, so there has to be someone in charge at all times! (We can thus deduce that it today will take the Swedes at least 24 hours to get off their hind legs and mount an invasion. ?)

Most laws are fluent, they have to be. A rigid law is impractical - sometimes dangerously impractical!

Interesting! However, my intention was indeed to ask you about your interpretation of the text of the law ;) - If a Prince/ss to Denmark did not disqualify themselves by resigning from the state religion or some other way, do you believe that merely having their title removed, simply because the Queen decided to remove it, would (by the text of the law) remove them from the line of succession?

Yes.
Obviously QMII made it clear to Princess Elisabeth that she would be stripped of her title, should she marry a commoner - and as such also being erased from the Line of Succession - just as her brothers were when they married.
According to your interpretation, there was no legal basis in the law to do that. Yet it happened.
It was simply a matter of finding a pretext.

JR75 explained it very well.
It's one thing what the law says. It's another matter how you interpret the law and what is practical and established custom.

Yes.
Obviously QMII made it clear to Princess Elisabeth that she would be stripped of her title, should she marry a commoner - and as such also being erased from the Line of Succession - just as her brothers were when they married.
According to your interpretation, there was no legal basis in the law to do that. Yet it happened.
It was simply a matter of finding a pretext.

No, that is not my interpretation of the law.

Regarding being erased from the line of succession, please see posts #95 and #100, in which I mentioned the requirement in the Act of Succession to marry with the consent of the monarch. This specifically states that a person who marries without the monarch's consent forfeits their place in the line of succession, and it was (I believe) the legal basis for the removal of Elisabeth's brothers from the line of succession.

Quoting from the Act of Succession (see the full law in post #97)

§ 5
(1) Only children born in lawful wedlock are entitled to succeed to the throne.
(2) The King or the reigning Queen shall not marry without the consent of the Folketing.
(3) If a person who is entitled to succeed to the throne decides to marry without the King’s or reigning Queen’s consent which shall be given during a meeting of the Council of State, he/she forfeits his/her right to succeed to the throne and so do his/her children born in lawful wedlock and their issue.

Regarding stripping them of their titles, please also see posts #95 and #100, where I agreed with you that it is within the monarch's prerogative to regulate the royal titles. We are in agreement that the Queen had the right to strip Ingolf of his title, and in theory could strip Elisabeth, Joachim, or Nikolai of their titles. The issue on which we may disagree is whether the law would allow the monarch to change the title of the heir (I agree that politically, it would not be realistic, but I am referring only to the text of the laws).

Last edited:
I don't understand.

I have all the time said that the status and titles of the heir is exempt. The monarch cannot change that.
That AFAIK has been the case since 1660. When DK went from electing/acknowledging our kings, to Absolutism. And confirmed in 1849 when the current Constitutional monarchy was introduced.

You however, as far as I have understood your posts, claimed that the monarch could not remove someone from the Line of Succession.
I have documented that not only can the Danish monarchs do that, they do it routinely. - With the latest examples being the Rosenborg brothers.
§5 is merely some of the pretext that are being used to do so.

Please keep in mind that Joachim married not only one, but two commoners! Yet he is still in the Line of Succession.
So who has to give the consent? Who has to decide whether a marriage to a commoner is acceptable enough for the royal to remain in The Line of Succession? - The monarch.
The Parliament? They stay out of this internal family business and they have stated that they stay out. - As long as it doesn't involve the heir.
The whole point of §2 is to ensure that at any given time there is an acknowledged heir so that no one else can claim the right to the throne.
And that happened from the moment Frederik was born. Before that it was Benedikte who was the heir and protected by §2.

Should a tragedy happen and Frederik and all of his children were abducted by Martians, then Joachim, as the next heir would be protected by §2.
Should Frederik decide he'd much rather join a mariachi band and wander up and down Mexico for the rest of his life, then Christian will be protected by §2.
Frederik can't suddenly come back five years later and say: "Eh, I wanna be crown prince again. I'm the older one, you know. So, move over Christian." - That right has been forfeited the moment Christian was acknowledged as the heir.

You can attack the point from all the directions you want, the realities are as I have described them.
It's all about this little sentence: Unless another law says something else.

And that's why you can always find a pretext, or legal excuse is you prefer, to strip a royal from his/her title and as such remove them from the Line of Succession.

Otherwise we would today have several hundred descendants listed in The Line of Succession. There are only 11.

For heavens sake the DRF even had one, Prince Aage, shipped off to the Foreign Legion for the rest of his life! He died in 1940 and is buried at the official Legion cemetery in a much venerated grave.
- He actually joined because his beloved and pretty eccentric French wife, Marie, died young.
Out of sight, out of mind and he wouldn't make a spectacle of himself drinking his grief away here in DK.

So to return to the topic of Nikolai.
We can theoretically imagine this little exchange: "Nikolai, my lad! Nice to see you. We have a little problem. There is a surplus in the Line of Succession and you reeeally don't want to remain on that list, right? The prince title really doesn't mean that much to you, right? - I see... Weeell, you could join the Foreign Legion like Aage did. You being good at French...
Good! We'll issue a statement saying that you have given this much thought and you have decided to relinquish your right to the throne and give up your title as Prince to Denmark. Agree? There's a good lad."
Sorry, couldn't resist, this scenario simply popped up in my head. :D

Last edited:
I don't understand.

I have all the time said that the status and titles of the heir is exempt. The monarch cannot change that.
That AFAIK has been the case since 1660. When DK went from electing/acknowledging our kings, to Absolutism. And confirmed in 1849 when the current Constitutional monarchy was introduced.

You however, as far as I have understood your posts, claimed that the monarch could not remove someone from the Line of Succession.
I have documented that not only can the Danish monarchs do that, they do it routinely. - With the latest examples being the Rosenborg brothers.
§5 is merely some of the pretext that are being used to do so.. :D

The Rosenborg brothers married without the King's consent and, therefore, were removed from the line of succession in accordance with the provisions of the Act of Succession.

The point, I believe, Tatiana Maria was trying to make is that the succession to the Danish throne is regulated by the Act of Succession , which is entrenched in the Danish constitution and, therefore, cannot be changed unilaterally by will of the Queen. As far as I understand, the Act of Succession allows only two situations where a descendant of King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine can legally forefeit his/her succession rights:

1) Marriage without the King's consent (which can be conditional as shown in the case of Princess Benedikte's children), or

2) If the person in question is illegitimate, i.e. born out of wedlock or of an unlawful marriage.

On top of that, I believe there are two provisions in the Constitution Act properly that may also constitute grounds for disqualification, namely that the King must be a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church and that King may not reign in another country unless Parliament consents thereto. Unlike the Swedish Act of Succession, the Danish constitution does not explicitly say that a person in the line of succession who does not belong to the Lutheran church or becomes the sovereign of another country without Parliament's consent is automatically disqualified, but, since those two tests apply explicitly to the King, one might infer that they indirectly also disqualify potential successors who violate them, which was the case for example of Queen Anne-Marie and her descendants.

Since Nikolai is a legitimate child, other than marrying without consent, leaving the Evangelical Lutheran Church, or becoming the sovereign of another country without Parliament's consent, my understanding is that the only way to remove him from the line of succession would be a constitutional amendment, which is out of question probably.

I agree, however, that stripping him of his title and style (HH) may be a separate issue as neither the Constitution Act., nor the Act of Succession say anything about royal titles and styles. Since royal titles and styles do not appear to be regulated by law in Denmark, they probably fall under royal prerogative then and may be changed unilaterally by the Queen. The Danish practice, however, as it is also the case in Sweden, is that all persons in the line of succession are also princes of Denmark.

Last edited:
Alexandra seems to be going down the same route. I doubt she'll be of much help. I agree, Joachim (and/or QM) should have a talk with his son.

I hope this isn't the route the members of the next generation of the DRF (or any other royal families) will be taking.
It's too late - The current generation in the form of Joachim himself actually already took that route and therefore it's quite ridiculous to say Joachim should have a talk with his son.
Joachim was bought by the Lego concern a couple of years ago (which enabled him to leave the bankruptcy of his business as a millionaire - without the Queen interfering). And now, whenever he or the rest of his family do "Lego Events", it has a "discount taste" to it IMO.

Nikolai grew up seeing his father, mother and stepmother living by the rule "Take as much as you can, give as little as possible". Joachim first presented himself in the role of businessman, then in the role of military man, but the plain fact is that he ows neither Schackenborg nor his military rank to merit but to the fact that he is the "Queen's 2nd son". Nikolai's stepfather too seemed to be a professional "son"/"husband" (though I must admit I don't really know what and how much Martin worked).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nikolai thinks he can be a professional "grandson".
But I still have the hope that he turns out better than his father.

That was a neat summing up of what this discussion has been all about.

I will however quietly point out that you can't act as Rigsforstander if you are not a member of the state church, which happens to be Lutheran.
It's not enough simply to be Lutheran.
The monarch is head of the state church, and as such the Regent and the Rigsforstander has to be a member.

Look at it from the Parliament. From a Constitutional point of view all that matters is that there is a head of state (monarch, Regent or Rigsforstander.)
And that there is an undisputed heir and preferably at least one spare. - Today that's Frederik and Christian.
With that in place, what else happens within the DRF is pretty much family business and ought not concern the Parliament. It only becomes an issue if the monarch can't handle the situation.
All issues are to be straightened out with the government before they even become a Constitutional or legislative issue.
And that's why the Parliament always approve any requests from the DRF.

I simply do not subscribe to the notion that it is so difficult to remove someone from the Line of Succession. Both of you stare yourself blind at the paragraphs, while I see one loophole after another.
What do you think happened to surplus DRF members in previous generations? Why do you think there are so few prince/sses around today?

It's not that there were any amendments or trials at the Supreme Court. The monarchs made a decision, using whatever pretext was necessary. Or the surplus royals volunteered or were volunteered to give up their status.

Just look at Alexandra, her apanage was for life and yet she has "volunteered" to give it up.

There are always ways...

Thanks, Mbruno, and you are right in regard to the point which I was trying to make.

I don't understand.

[...]

It's all about this little sentence: Unless another law says something else.

I am happy to try and clarify.

Firstly, the claims I have expressed are limited to the current legal provisions, namely, the Constitution of 1953.

I have refrained from making any claims concerning monarchs' prerogatives under absolutism or older versions of the constitution, or the potential for future Parliaments to enact new laws saying something else.

I have been referring only to what is theoretically permissible under the (current) Constitution, not what is politically realistic.

Secondly, the matters of succession and titles are distinct (according to my interpretation).

I agree with you as far as, given the current laws, the monarch cannot change the heir's rights of succession - unless she denies her consent to his marriage.

I disagree with the claim that the law prohibits the monarch from altering the title of the heir. We may assume she would never attempt it in real life, particularly if the Parliament raised any objections, but the law does not include a ban on changes to the title of the heir, as far as I can tell.

Thirdly, I have not made any claim in relation to voluntary renunciation (of which your hypothetical case using Nikolai is an example, and of which the hypothetical mariachi enthuasist runaway Frederik ;) might be an example), although after reading Mbruno's post, I think he has presented a good argument that it would require a legal amendment in order to be valid.

§5 is merely some of the pretext that are being used to do so.

Please keep in mind that Joachim married not only one, but two commoners! Yet he is still in the Line of Succession.
So who has to give the consent? Who has to decide whether a marriage to a commoner is acceptable enough for the royal to remain in The Line of Succession? - The monarch.

And that's why you can always find a pretext, or legal excuse is you prefer, to strip a royal from his/her title and as such remove them from the Line of Succession.

I refer you again to my posts #95 and #100 and also to #111; the points I expressed have all recognized that §5 of the Act of Succession permits the monarch to remove someone from the Line of Succession by denying her consent to their marriage.

Pretext or not, § 5 is a clear legal basis. It meant that Ingolf and Christian and their descendants, and the descendants of Princess Benedikte (because the King gave his consent to her marriage subject to conditions and she did not fulfill those conditions), were removed from the line of succession by the provisions of § 5 and not merely by the will of the monarch.

The issue on which we differ is whether the monarch, under the law as it currently stands, can remove someone from the Line of Succession anytime she likes merely by expressing her will.

Can you document any examples, since 1953, of someone being removed from the line of succession only by the monarch's will, without utilizing § 5?

Otherwise we would today have several hundred descendants listed in The Line of Succession. There are only 11.

Under the Act of Succession of 1953, only the descendants of King Christian IX and Queen Alexandrine are eligible for the throne:

§ 1
The throne shall be inherited by the descendants of King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine.​

Even if no exclusions had been made, there would only be about two dozen descendants in the line of succession today.

Frederik can't suddenly come back five years later and say: "Eh, I wanna be crown prince again. I'm the older one, you know. So, move over Christian." - That right has been forfeited the moment Christian was acknowledged as the heir.

You can attack the point from all the directions you want, the realities are as I have described them.

I'm unsure as to which point you believe I am attacking. My point of view is that legally acknowledged succession rights are protected and can only be removed/lost in the several ways that the Constitution allows; my understanding was that you believe succession rights are not protected at all except for the rights of the crown prince/ss.

I simply do not subscribe to the notion that it is so difficult to remove someone from the Line of Succession. Both of you stare yourself blind at the paragraphs, while I see one loophole after another.
What do you think happened to surplus DRF members in previous generations? Why do you think there are so few prince/sses around today?

Like Mbruno, I think that after the introduction of constitutional monarchy, the surplus members and their descendants were removed in accordance with the provisions of the constitution, and no loopholes were needed.

I spend two hours yesterday responding to your posts, it looks like I'm about to spend three hours today...
And yet we continue going around in circles.

Thanks, Mbruno, and you are right in regard to the point which I was trying to make.

I am happy to try and clarify.

Firstly, the claims I have expressed are limited to the current legal provisions, namely, the Constitution of 1953.

I have refrained from making any claims concerning monarchs' prerogatives under absolutism or older versions of the constitution, or the potential for future Parliaments to enact new laws saying something else.

I have been referring only to what is theoretically permissible under the (current) Constitution, not what is politically realistic.

You can't separate the two. That's not how the world works.
Where there is a political will to solve a problem, i.e. a surplus number of royals and potential heirs, a way will be found.
Separating the two only works in classrooms.

econdly, the matters of succession and titles are distinct (according to my interpretation).

I agree with you as far as, given the current laws, the monarch cannot change the heir's rights of succession - unless she denies her consent to his marriage.

I disagree with the claim that the law prohibits the monarch from altering the title of the heir. We may assume she would never attempt it in real life, particularly if the Parliament raised any objections, but the law does not include a ban on changes to the title of the heir, as far as I can tell.

Ah, so here we get to the core of your argument.
Okay, no QMII cannot do anything about Frederik being the heir (unless X, Y, Z..) and certainly not without the Parliament screaming their heads off!
Constitutionally speaking the Constitution refers to all hears as "tronfølgeren". But in theory there should be nothing to hinder QMII Frederik's title from Crown Prince to say The Duke of Jutland. That won't happen because there is a centuries old tradition for the firstborn son of a king being title the crown prince.

Thirdly, I have not made any claim in relation to voluntary renunciation (of which your hypothetical case using Nikolai is an example, and of which the hypothetical mariachi enthuasist runaway Frederik ;) might be an example), although after reading Mbruno's post, I think he has presented a good argument that it would require a legal amendment in order to be valid.

No, an ordinary bill passed in the Parliament would suffice. If that is even necessary. - There is still the little sentence: Unless another law says something else.
No amendment or change in the Constitution or the Law of Succession is needed, it's merely a question of interpreting the paragraphs.
It boils down to: If QMII wish to boot someone out of the Line of Succession and the government and the Parliament don't have any objections, it will happen.
From a political perspective as long as it doesn't rock the boat, the politicians have no objections to the number of royals (and heirs) being reduced from time to time. Nor has the public!
That's the cold political realities. So again, if the monarch (perhaps spurred on by the government and the public believe a DRF member should be booted out, it will happen. One way or another...
Any DRF-member going out saying: "I wanna remain a prince, I wanna remain as the 11th in the Line of Succession!" Would not only be ridiculed, but also soon become the most unpopular person in DK since Erik Bloodaxe, killed Svend Skull-Splitter's pet-rabbit!
It would be a PR-suicide.

I refer you again to my posts #95 and #100 and also to #111; the points I expressed have all recognized that §5 of the Act of Succession permits the monarch to remove someone from the Line of Succession by denying her consent to their marriage.

Pretext or not, § 5 is a clear legal basis. It meant that Ingolf and Christian and their descendants, and the descendants of Princess Benedikte (because the King gave his consent to her marriage subject to conditions and she did not fulfill those conditions), were removed from the line of succession by the provisions of § 5 and not merely by the will of the monarch.

§5, is such a nice little paragraph! It is so useful for shorting the list of heirs. :D
The Rosenborgs were stripped of their status using that paragraph. Why do you think PH's noble title was so inflated? So that the Rosenborgs couldn't officially point their fingers at him, saying: "Hey, he's sort of a commoner too!"
And no one battered an eyelid when Joachim and Frederik married commoners. Had the Rosenborg objected, as pretty much the only ones, it would have been a PR-suicide.

As for Benedikte. How do you think it worked? Should QMII have called her one day saying: Hi, Benedikte. Just wanted to let you know you children can't be on the list, we have an heir and a spare. Too bad, eh? Bye."
Of course not. Benedikte knew the rules. And that's how it has been working within the DRF for centuries.
Again, don't look only at the text in the law.

The issue on which we differ is whether the monarch, under the law as it currently stands, can remove someone from the Line of Succession anytime she likes merely by expressing her will.

Can you document any examples, since 1953, of someone being removed from the line of succession only by the monarch's will, without utilizing § 5?

No, because there haven't been any, since 1953.
But I can assure you the Rosenborgs weren't exactly happy about being sidelined and later being reduced to mere nobles! That is no secret at all.
But Frederik IX had the backing of both the Parliament and the public opinion, and he was the one signing the papers, even if he may have felt sorry for his brother's family, which I honestly doubt.

Under the Act of Succession of 1953, only the descendants of King Christian IX and Queen Alexandrine are eligible for the throne:

§ 1
The throne shall be inherited by the descendants of King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine.​

Even if no exclusions had been made, there would only be about two dozen descendants in the line of succession today.

Ah, that's where we spoke past each other. I was referring to a centuries old custom within the DRF about reducing the number of royals and heirs from time to time.
§1 is just about that: Reducing the number of royals and heirs even more.

Who knows by the next Constitutional change §1 may be changed to "only descendants of Frederik X."

I'm unsure as to which point you believe I am attacking. My point of view is that legally acknowledged succession rights are protected and can only be removed/lost in the several ways that the Constitution allows; my understanding was that you believe succession rights are not protected at all except for the rights of the crown prince/ss.

Like Mbruno, I think that after the introduction of constitutional monarchy, the surplus members and their descendants were removed in accordance with the provisions of the constitution, and no loopholes were needed.

This has been an hour-long debate about the exact wording in the Constitution contra the realities of life.
And as for loopholes. Weeeell, the Rosenborg did not get concent to their marriages, so they were booted out. But Joachim and Frederik? No problems at all. - So don't tell me there isn't a lot of room for "interpretation" in §5. :D

And again there are more loopholes.
Lets go forward to 2040, at dinnertime. Crown Prince Christian has just buried an axe in the head of his chef, because the sauce was ruined. Now, while some of us might find that a very reasonable reaction, the Parliament may decide that he is unfit and certainly unworthy of remaining the heir, and decide to bypass him.
But what about §2 &5? Well the Parliament will simply decide that Christian is unfit (he's a complete loon! - Even though must of us will think that executing your cook for ruining the sauce is a perfectly sane ting to do.) and as such Isabella is now the heir. No change of the Constitution needed, no amendment, just a bill in the Parliament.
- Remember: Unless a law says something else. - In this case Christian will be declared insane and stripped of his citizens rights and issued a guardian. The law says that in order to act as Regent/Rigsforstander you have to be of legal age. I.e. have full citizens rights. - Another loophole circumnavigating §2.
- There is always a way.

ADDED: I'll take a little break from this discussion and concentrate on other things for a couple of days.

Last edited:
I spend two hours yesterday responding to your posts, it looks like I'm about to spend three hours today...
And yet we continue going around in circles.

I am appreciative of your responses, but it was regrettably necessary for me to spend this time writing clarifications in response to your posts because even now it seems some of the points I am making are being misread. I hope the time I have spent on clarification will assist in explaining my views more clearly. :flowers:

This has been an hour-long debate about the exact wording in the Constitution contra the realities of life.
And as for loopholes. Weeeell, the Rosenborg did not get concent to their marriages, so they were booted out. But Joachim and Frederik? No problems at all. - So don't tell me there isn't a lot of room for "interpretation" in §5. :D

I agree, there is a lot of room for interpretation! :flowers: But in my view, the monarch did not utilize any interpretations or loopholes to exclude Ingolf and Christian from the line of succession or to preserve Frederik and Joachim's places in the line of succession. Paragraph §5 clearly permits the monarch to give or deny consent; consent was given to Frederik and Joachim and denied to Ingolf and Christian.

This is possibly the core of our disagreement: From my perspective, since 1953, the realities of life/what has happened/how it worked has conformed to the exact text of the 1953 Constitution, and there is no contradiction between the realities of life and the text of the Constitution. From your perspective (unless I have misunderstood), the DRF has constantly circumnavigated or even bypassed the text of the law.

You can't separate the two. That's not how the world works.
[...]
Separating the two only works in classrooms.

Your previous examples which highlighted the difference between the two prompted me to try to separate them. For example, it appears we agree that it was the Queen's prerogative to strip Ingolf of his princely title. However, in post #106, you stated that if Parliament had objected, the Queen would not have exercised her legal prerogative – and therefore, while it would be theoretically permissible under the Constitution, it would not be politically realistic in that situation.

No, an ordinary bill passed in the Parliament would suffice. If that is even necessary. - There is still the little sentence: Unless another law says something else.
No amendment or change in the Constitution or the Law of Succession is needed, it's merely a question of interpreting the paragraphs.

Lets go forward to 2040, at dinnertime. Crown Prince Christian has just buried an axe in the head of his chef, because the sauce was ruined. Now, while some of us might find that a very reasonable reaction, the Parliament may decide that he is unfit and certainly unworthy of remaining the heir, and decide to bypass him.
But what about §2 &5? Well the Parliament will simply decide that Christian is unfit (he's a complete loon! - Even though must of us will think that executing your cook for ruining the sauce is a perfectly sane ting to do.) and as such Isabella is now the heir. No change of the Constitution needed, no amendment, just a bill in the Parliament.
- Remember: Unless a law says something else. - In this case Christian will be declared insane and stripped of his citizens rights and issued a guardian. The law says that in order to act as Regent/Rigsforstander you have to be of legal age. I.e. have full citizens rights. - Another loophole circumnavigating §2.
- There is always a way.

As said in post #116, my statements only appertain to the legal prerogatives of the monarch (not the Parliament). A debate over whether the Parliament has the prerogative to override the Constitution with an ordinary bill would be another discussion. In any case, I'm quite sure they would take all necessary measures to remove the poor ax-crazy heir. ;)

Where there is a political will to solve a problem, i.e. a surplus number of royals and potential heirs, a way will be found.

[...]

That's the cold political realities. So again, if the monarch (perhaps spurred on by the government and the public believe a DRF member should be booted out, it will happen. One way or another...

Probably, yes. But I have never suggested that there was no way to solve the problem of surplus royals or boot out a member from the line of succession. On the contrary, my posts have stated that the monarch can strip royal titles whenever she likes and can strip succession rights at marriage using § 5 of the Act of Succession, and that the Parliament could at minimum amend the Constitution.

Our disagreement is that I do not think the monarch (as opposed to Parliament) can simply "boot out" a person from the line of succession at will without denying consent to their marriage.

§5, is such a nice little paragraph! It is so useful for shorting the list of heirs. :D
The Rosenborgs were stripped of their status using that paragraph. Why do you think PH's noble title was so inflated? So that the Rosenborgs couldn't officially point their fingers at him, saying: "Hey, he's sort of a commoner too!"
And no one battered an eyelid when Joachim and Frederik married commoners. Had the Rosenborg objected, as pretty much the only ones, it would have been a PR-suicide.

As for Benedikte. How do you think it worked? Should QMII have called her one day saying: Hi, Benedikte. Just wanted to let you know you children can't be on the list, we have an heir and a spare. Too bad, eh? Bye."
Of course not. Benedikte knew the rules. And that's how it has been working within the DRF for centuries.
Again, don't look only at the text in the law.

I'm not sure what you mean. Given that §5 was used, and §5 is part of the text of the law, what you have written here seems to support my argument that the removals worked in accordance with the law.

No, because there haven't been any, since 1953.
But I can assure you the Rosenborgs weren't exactly happy about being sidelined and later being reduced to mere nobles! That is no secret at all.
But Frederik IX had the backing of both the Parliament and the public opinion, and he was the one signing the papers, even if he may have felt sorry for his brother's family, which I honestly doubt.

Yes, but it was necessary to employ §5 of the Act of Succession to remove them, and he could not have simply removed them anytime he liked, on any basis he liked (or at least that is my understanding).

Ah, so here we get to the core of your argument.
Okay, no QMII cannot do anything about Frederik being the heir (unless X, Y, Z..) and certainly not without the Parliament screaming their heads off!
Constitutionally speaking the Constitution refers to all hears as "tronfølgeren". But in theory there should be nothing to hinder QMII Frederik's title from Crown Prince to say The Duke of Jutland. That won't happen because there is a centuries old tradition for the firstborn son of a king being title the crown prince.

I am happy that we can agree on one issue. :flowers:

ADDED: I'll take a little break from this discussion and concentrate on other things for a couple of days.

My response was written before your addition, but I am happy to continue (or not continue) this discussion at a future date if you wish.

Hmm, the press release from SiXT has been deleted from the internet ...

it has indeed. From the company's facebook too
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=fe56d6e59dff7c4030b8bfcc3598c11f&oe=5C81EAFB

article on Nikolai advertising
https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-nikolai-promoverer-biludlejningsselskab-kongehuset-beklager
'Prince Nikolai sorry for the mistake that is now being addressed,' it says from the royal office's communications department.

edit: Looking forward to the summary/translation Muhler...google translate does not do it justice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the extra bits, Polyesco.

I'm very interested in learning your opinions on this!

The BT article first: https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-nikolai-promoverer-biludlejningsselskab-kongehuset-beklager

The photos of Nikolai promoting the company Sixt was published Friday 14.43. Today Monday afternoon the DRF PR department issued a statement:
"Royals do not promote businesses or products."
Kongelige markedsfører ikke virksomheder eller produkter.’

"Prince Nikolai regrets the mistake, which has now been corrected."
Prins Nikolai beklager fejltagelsen, som der nu er rettet op på,

In the article it reads:
The DRF is aware of the situation and it goes against their general guidelines that the Prince has been put in connection with promoting a specific business and their products.
Fra kongehusets side er man bekendt med situationen, og det går imod deres generelle retningslinjer, at prinsen er sat i forbindelse med promoveringen af en bestemt virksomhed og deres produkter.
I assume this is something the PR department has said to BT on the phone.

As well as this:
Even though the DRF admits that the Prince has taken part in advertising for Sixt, it was not possible to learn exactly what the agreement between the Prince and the company contained.
Selvom man fra kongehusets side erkender, at prinsen har medvirket til at reklamere for Sixt, var det ikke muligt at få at vide præcist, hvad aftalen mellem prinsen og firmaet indeholdt

BT writes that the advert has been taken down by Sixt and is no longer to be found on their website.
So far it hasn't been possible to get a statement from Sixt.

- Well, that's the gist. I guess further info will surface later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom