The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 10-23-2021, 11:08 AM
Serene Highness

There's something wrong in the video when the voice is saying "Royal Highnes Prince eeh Nikolai" - or am I the only hearing the "eeeh"?

Candidata Theologiae / Master in Theology
Old 10-23-2021, 11:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
In the video Nikolai says (in English) "Royalty to me is family and traditions. Royal Highness Prince Nikolai, definitely just Nikolai"

maybe he doesn't remember he is not HRH, but HH.
HRH is used more than once in this post.
Wow, you would expect him to know that he is a highness and not a royal highness. In Denmark that's reserved for the children of the monarch or heir; not for grandchildren...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
There's something wrong in the video when the voice is saying "Royal Highnes Prince eeh Nikolai" - or am I the only hearing the "eeeh"?
Based on your comment I checked the video, and I'd say, he says: royal highness, prince OR Nikolai. Definitely, just Nikolai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
"Meet His Royal Highness Prince Nikolai of Denmark, scion of the oldest monarchy in Europe. As the son of Prince Joachim of Denmark and Hong Kong-born Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg, Nikolai’s ancestry crosses continents and cultures.

A sociable and engaging young man of eclectic tastes, Prince Nikolai knows how to mix business with pleasure. Having walked the runway for Burberry at London Fashion Week and opened Kim Jones's first menswear show at Dior, he is now getting down to his studies at Copenhagen Business School."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVU-1T4qR5P/
Looks like the text has been changed, it now says 'Meet His Highness...'. Several people mentioned the error in the comments, so they got the message...
Old 10-23-2021, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Here is a non-Instagram link to the post. https://www.picuki.com/media/2690051219814686287 The text has been changed but the video, of course, still says "HRH Prince Nikolai". I think Raffles might get a quiet call from the Danish Embassy.

He definitely says, "'Royal Highness', 'Prince', or 'Nikolai'? Definitely just 'Nikolai'." Which is good; maybe he does know he's not entitled to the first one.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Here is the "film" from Raffles, with correct titling for Nikolai. And that's him saying "Welcome to Raffles" at the end.

From their website: "he was asked by Peter Greenaway to act naked — nudity being one of the filmmaker's recurring themes. Unshockable, Nikolai remarked that his grandmother wouldn't love the film as much if he did."

I think it's safe to say that Nik not only knows his title, but is very, very far from being stupid...
(Also whoever the little girl is, she probably reminds him of Athena.)
Old 11-06-2021, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, News Part 2: July 2018 -

I see that Princess Maria Olympia of Greece and Denmark also appears in this video with Nikolai.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Hmmm, Nikolai had said something about how in modeling he can just be Nikolai and not a prince. This campaign is very much playing up his title.

In other news, Felix has also been in Paris visiting Nikolai and I'm sure Joachim and family.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/efter-milit...ejst-til-paris
Nice picture of the two
Old 11-06-2021, 04:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Hmmm, Nikolai had said something about how in modeling he can just be Nikolai and not a prince. This campaign is very much playing up his title.
Yes, and he did manage to get "granny the Queen" in there...
Old 11-06-2021, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

It's probably one thing to be "just Nikolai" and another thing if everyone else working on the shoot has a title and is there for that reason. How many regular (not super) models have ever stayed at Raffles? I'm not even sure the Habsburg ladies had prior to this.

(even MO says she's never been, and her family definitely could have stayed without thinking twice)

And I think "Granny the Queen [will either have you or me killed...]" is a perfectly good (and frankly, brilliant) excuse for not taking your clothes off. Nikolai might have been happy to do it without her (who knows?), but since he can't without causing her problems, it's not even an excuse, just a fact.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

In other news, Felix has also been in Paris visiting Nikolai and I'm sure Joachim and family.
Nice picture of the two
Well, the whole campaign is based on Royalty and the aristocracy. So, Nicolai being presented as just "Nicolai Denmark" for instance while all the others featured in this spot being presented by all their titles would not make sense!
Old 11-06-2021, 05:20 PM
Royal Highness

why oh why
Old 11-06-2021, 06:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Nice picture of the two
All the people who appeared in the ad were titled. That was the whole point of it.

I wonder why that would make anyone want to stay at the hotel. The ad doesn't work for me, but I am not European.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Well, the whole campaign is based on Royalty and the aristocracy. So, Nicolai being presented as just "Nicolai Denmark" for instance while all the others featured in this spot being presented by all their titles would not make sense!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
All the people who appeared in the ad were titled. That was the whole point of it.
Nonetheless, most of the still reigning royal families of Europe have adopted the policy of discouraging the commercial use of royal titles, so Nikolai and his grandmother the Queen are atypical in that respect.
Old 11-06-2021, 07:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

I wonder why that would make anyone want to stay at the hotel. The ad doesn't work for me, but I am not European.
Wouldn't work for me either.
Partly because I doubt I could (and would!!) afford it.

And partly because I don't care who I share a hotel with - even if they are royals.

- Weeell, as Polyesco pointed out he sure manages to get his title mentioned quite often, when on the job.
Nikolai's looks and modeling talent aside the competition is hard and he basically only has his title to stand out from the crowd.
Old 11-06-2021, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Nonetheless, most of the still reigning royal families of Europe have adopted the policy of discouraging the commercial use of royal titles, so Nikolai and his grandmother the Queen are atypical in that respect.
Doing it with your clothes off is however apparently a bridge too far.

And given this is a potential broadcast campaign, this was surely more "nudity with LOTS of strategically-placed objects in the way" than actual nudity. And would have undoubtedly garnered Nikolai some attention for his career and made him quite memorable. And he still said no. Because he is sensible. And respectful.

And I'd be very surprised if that director was the first one who'd asked.

Fwiw, I like the campaign, but I am a fan of color and fantasy.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent

A new Raffles spot.

I want to say Nikolai says something in Danish in the middle, but I'm not sure it isn't German. A speaker of one will have to enlighten me.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

That's Danish.

What color do I hate? That must be yellow.

- A weird commercial or whatever it is.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Not that weird. Aside from nudity, one of the themes in Peter Greenaway's films is color, or at least he's been perpetually influenced by particular Renaissance paintings, so Wikipedia tells me.

Anyway, "color" is obviously a major feature in this campaign (it was very pre-eminent in the long spot), and so in this one, they literally talk about colors.

Am I the only one who's seen Mad Men?

Surely Prince Charming wasn't swiping at the lillebror with his color dislike. https://www.bt.dk/royale/efter-milit...ejst-til-paris
Old 11-12-2021, 02:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thank you for the cultural lesson.

I have to confess ignorance. Both in regards to Mad Men and the director.

Let's hope Nikolai doesn't fall for the temptation to appear in the buff.
While some might find the sight of barebacked males alluring, I must admit that the sight is less than desirable for my taste - generally reminding me of pale, cratered moons with tuffs of hair sticking up here and there.
Old 11-12-2021, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Hmm....somehow I'm not convinced a description of that nature would be why Farmor would kill him.

I hope that if he ever does decide to do it, it's not for a few more years still, because it's doubly-complicated. All the people screaming about how he's disrespecting-plus-commercializing his grandma and title and the Danish throne, all the tabloids and the internet getting it for free...and then professionally once you're willing to do it, every single person who hires you after that can ask.

So like I said initially, Nik is both smooth and smart to use Daisy for a shield in this. They are simplifying things for each other.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Let's hope so.

Knowing that farmor Margrethe can get angry, I don't think Nikolai would like to face a dressing down from an irate grandmother.

The legendary Michael Caine has said that once you do a nude-scene there is no going back, so he advised actors against it.