Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, News Part 2: July 2018 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most sensible young royals (even secondary ones like Nikolai) are very much aware that they are targeted by some who may seem them as trophies or even an opportunity for whatever it may be.
So when they meet someone who is sincere, that surely must be someone to treasure.

- Just look at the person Madeleine was engaged to prior to meeting and marrying her current husband.
There must be quite a few who try and engage in a relationship with a young royal, who turns out to be a creep. Probably more often than we are aware of.

Aside from trophy-hunters, opportunists, and creeps, even when dealing with otherwise-benign and ordinary people, there's always the simple, painful question of "would you like me and be interested if I wasn't who I was?"

Aside from that, despite his self-possession, close family and his parents' relatively-amicable divorce, Nikolai's had a bit of a turbulent life. If he feels safe and secure with Benedikte, it's all the more reason the relationship has lasted this long.

How exciting their first interview without mom or dad.
Looking forward to reading some of their thoughts.
Maybe on their foundation that they seem to have never done anything with.

Nikolai has passed his bachelor in Business Administration and Service Management.
He will continue at CBB (Copenhagen Business School, studying Sales Management.

- Perhaps someone in the know will explain to us, what that specifically means?

His girlfriend, Benedikte Thoustrup has also earned her bachelor with top marks. - So she's a bright girl! Not that I'm surprised. Nikolai is a bright young man and I doubt their relationship would have lasted this long if one of them was a very blonde blonde, so to speak. - After all, after a while you'd also like to have conversations with each other, in between staring each other in the eyes.

And speaking of their relationship. In the BB interview Nikolai reveals that they met early on at Herlufsholm and that the clicked. First as friends then developing into something more.
He describes himself as "a modern gentleman in the 21st century, if that makes sense. I hope Benedikte also think so. "

Nikolai has passed his bachelor in Business Administration and Service Management.
He will continue at CBB (Copenhagen Business School, studying Sales Management.

- Perhaps someone in the know will explain to us, what that specifically means?

His girlfriend, Benedikte Thoustrup has also earned her bachelor with top marks. - So she's a bright girl! Not that I'm surprised. Nikolai is a bright young man and I doubt their relationship would have lasted this long if one of them was a very blonde blonde, so to speak. - After all, after a while you'd also like to have conversations with each other, in between staring each other in the eyes.

And speaking of their relationship. In the BB interview Nikolai reveals that they met early on at Herlufsholm and that the clicked. First as friends then developing into something more.
He describes himself as "a modern gentleman in the 21st century, if that makes sense. I hope Benedikte also think so. "

Sales Management is described here: https://www.salesforce.com/eu/learning-centre/sales/sales-management/

"Sales management is the process of hiring, training and motivating sales staff, coordinating operations across the sales department and implementing a cohesive sales strategy that drives business revenues. Sales are the lifeblood of any organisation and managing the sales process is one of the most important functions of any business"

It is about having a "game plan" to sell your product (ie windmills). Then you determine what qualifications you would need in the required staff, hire people with those qualifications, etc. It is up to the sales manager to make sure that the sales business plan is properly implemented, carried out and that there is the ROI desired.

Hope that makes!

:previous: Thanks, Izzie. :flowers:

Nikolai and Felix gave a very long interview to Billed Bladet, published this week.
The interviewers being Marianne Singer and Ulrik Ulriksen.

This is the ultra-short version- of part one. Pert two will be published next week.

Nikolai is aware that he is the oldest of QMII's grandchildren and that gives him some experience in relation to his younger cousins and siblings.

They have fond memories from Schackenborg. Felix is still in contact with some of those he went to the local kindergarten with.
Sometimes they attend a hunt at Schackenborg.
They often go there in the spring and when they do, they go cycling. Which includes popping over the border to Germany to do some shopping for sweets. (Something most Jutlanders do from time to time. The border-trade is alive and well.)
When Alexandra's parents lived at Schackenborg they often had breakfast with them. They couldn't speak Danish, so N&F learned English early on.

The divorce between Joachim and Alexandra went pretty smooth for the boys, Felix hardly noticed any difference, being so young.

They regularly see onkel Frederik - and the rest of their family on both sides.
They loved their grandpapa Henrik very much and were often invited to Fredensborg for lunch with him, where they could talk with him about everything.

The have a fantastic relationship with Marie. As well as their younger siblings. They can hardly fathom that Henrik is now 13!

They supported their mother when she divorced Martin Jørgensen, but otherwise don't go into further details about him.

It was of course a shock when Joachim had his stroke, but they were able to get support from primarily their mother but also Marie.

Joachim has changed his habits after his stroke, with more emphasis on exercise. He goes for a long walk every morning.

Both of them don't feel they have had a troubled time as teenagers. They just lived through that time. Nikolai being at Herlufshom for four years and as such being away from home from very early on.
Their royal status hasn't played a role in their friendships.
Nor have they ever felt an urge to rebel. Felix did shave his head after graduating from high school, something his mother wasn't that happy about, but it wasn't to spite her, it was just something he did for fun.

Nikolai and Benedikte moved to Paris in 2021. That his father lived there did play a role. There he had lunch with J&M every Sunday. Otherwise he babysitted for his younger siblings.
Felix has considered moving abroad too, but nowhere particular.

Nikolai and Benedikte met at Herlufsholm where they first became good friends and from that it developed into a relationship.

- More next week.

They strike me a nice well-mannered, bright young men, who don't appear to have any particular issues - and apart from Martin Jørgensen - give the impression of having had a pretty happy upbringing.
- Or they are bright enough to convincingly convey that impression.

They tell a lot, without really revealing that much. If you get my meaning.

Mange tak for the summaries. Will they talk about what they think of their cousins? Interesting about Felix's hair. Wasn't it originally put about that Alexandra did it for him?

I think N&F obviously have had the enormous benefit of being raised with a lot of people who love them, and they both seem to have a good bit of confidence — without entitlement.

I'm not sure I believe that neither of them has any issues... Felix somehow strikes me as having a bit of anger (maybe it's the boxing and the scars). And Nikolai can't be as charmed and placid and mistake-free as he seems. But that's just my opinion.

They are both certainly clever enough to project well and keep whatever issues they do have far, far from the press (thus far, anyway).

Last edited:
:previous: Well, we'll see next week.

I don't think they will be talking much about their cousins.

As for the shaving of the head. Perhaps Alexandra indulged her son - after some persuasion?

It's fair enough that they won't talk about Martin Jørgensen. That must be a painful chapter in their lives, perhaps especially for Felix, who seems to have had a close relationship with Martin Jørgensen.
Nikolai liked being at Herlufsholm, without being overly praising about the place. I wonder if there was a reason for him to choose Herlufsholm. At the time it must have been around where the relationship between Alexandra and Martin Jørgensen must have become strained.

I would also like to learn more about their very short stint in the military, their thoughts and why they dropped out so quickly and not least how they experienced the commotion about them quitting.

The most interesting things about this interview so far is what they don't talk about.

We know that Felix had a close relationship with onkel Frederik, before he got married and had his own children. - After all uncles and aunt are indeed important for children. Felix perhaps less so, because while he grew up, he lived mostly with his mother and it's natural for a farbror not to visit the divorced wife of his brother. So I guess the boys saw considerably less of their uncle after the divorce and after Frederik got married.

It will be interesting to learn if they have any future plans, dreams or ambitions in place. Perhaps wishing to live abroad.

It would probably not be smart for Nikolai to overly praise Herlufsholm at the moment. And I doubt we'll hear about the military. This is about as soft as interviews go.

Do you mean Nikolai was closer to Frederik in those long ago days when he was the only little kid running around?

They may have seen less of him, naturally or not, but I thought the cousins were somewhat close... for some reason. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
It would probably not be smart for Nikolai to overly praise Herlufsholm at the moment. And I doubt we'll hear about the military. This is about as soft as interviews go.

Do you mean Nikolai was closer to Frederik in those long ago days when he was the only little kid running around?

They may have seen less of him, naturally or not, but I thought the cousins were somewhat close... for some reason. Am I wrong?

Yes, I'm sure Nikolai and Frederik were very close when Nikolai was a small child. Pretty natural I'd say. A bachelor uncle, who is very fond of children and his first nephew. They just have to play and do things you are not allowed to. (Says so in Handbook for Uncles, page 7.)

I think Felix and Nikolai have grown closer to their cousins in later years. I think Nikolai is the one they all, all seven of them, look up to. Although Christian may have taken over by now, for his siblings.
I think when Nikolai got into his teens he became a kind of "uncle big brother" to his cousins.

I do agree with you, I don't think we should expect anything sensational in this interview.

BTW the interview took place in a hotel in central Copenhagen, without any mentioning at all of Alexandra or anyone else being present. Though I suspect Alexandra asked to read the interview before it was published. Otherwise I would be very surprised.

Thank you Muhler.
They do seem well adjusted.
Nikolai seems to have enjoyed his time at Herlufsholm. It probably offer a relief from the time of separation of Alexandra and Martin.
That it was painful no doubt. I remember Martin picking him many times from Herlufsholm. No doubt a second dad yo Felix and him.

I hope they do mention their military time and future plans. Also about the foundation that bears their names.

Some more on the interview of Nikolai and Felix.

On the criticism towards their father
https://www.seoghoer.dk/kongelige/klart-svar-fra-prins-nikolai-kritikken-er-urimelig

On them leaving the military after a very short trial
https://www.seoghoer.dk/kongelige/n...militaeret-jeg-var-ikke-endt-det-rigtige-sted

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
Yes, there is little more meat on the second part on the interview.

I'll write a summary later.

Second part of the interview with Nikolai and Felix in Billed Bladet #25, 2022.
Interviewers: Ulrik Ulriksen & Marianne Singer.

A compressed version.

Both Nikolai and Felix left the military after a very short while.
Felix explains that while having the deepest respect for those who do (completes and serves in the military) it was an exciting and new world. Where he found out that this wasn't what he wanted.
Nikolai responds that he time at the boarding school helped him through it all, not least in regards to sleeping in a dormitory, something others may find problematic in the beginning.

But then they stopped?
Nikolai: It's never fun to acknowledge... not a defeat, but... it's never fun to back out from something. But it's simply about acknowledging what your force is and what it isn't, and I simply think we weren't there, or I simply had ended up in the right place in my life.
What I take with me is that I'm happy having tried it. Then I can at least say that I did my bit... and that it simply wasn't me."

Felix: "Why of course it was a really difficult decision. You of course went around thinking about how to best solve it. But there is of course no way of solving it in a way where everybody is happy. There isn't. There will of course always be someone who will look at it in a negative way, and you simply had to accept that, because you always try and do the best you can to to accommodate everybody. But when it's decision that will reach all of Denmark, then you know well that you cannot please everybody. so it was hard but it had to be done. A decision had to be taken."

But how about Joachim?
Nikolai: "I think we conversed every day during the last week at least and it was back and forth and I of course think... he does burn for this and it's one of his really big passions, so I dearly think that he wished it was something we would continue doing. I recall that he motivated me at least to give it a final shot and try a little more. In the end I do think he understood me, because he was not against the decision in any way. I simply think that he just needed to understand/process it all first."

Felix: I also went around talking with him and told him about my situation and of course he tried to make me stay by motivating myself, but at that point I had probably already made the choice. When he sort of figured that out he of course accepted it and as Nikolai says, it's something he burns for, so it probably hurt him a little in a way. But of course he accepted it and also supported us."

A good deal of Danes supported their decision and they chose to focus on that "positive energy" when moving on.

Mother Alexandra was their biggest support during that period, no question.
They didn't feel alone, or just relying on each other. For Felix Nikolai was a big support and help in how to deal with the decision.

Both of them have tried being a model and with that comes media attention. While that matters more now, it is however something they have grown up with. In fact it has helped Nikolai in being more comfortable in front of a camera.

Nikolai got started by his agency had talked a few times with his mother and dropped the idea of him trying to be a model, and eventually he tried and liked it.
It went pretty much the same way for Felix, but he is still undecided as to whether he wants to be a model and there are no offers right now.
One reason may be that he is not as extrovert as Nikolai, and less patient - and not as good looking.
Both are very fond of sports.
Felix loves to run and he plays soccer.

What does QMII think about Nikolai's career as a model?
N: "I think she has her own way of telling me that she is proud. " She asks into where he is going and how exciting it is.

Felix is right now an intern at Mærsk and he is pretty enthusiastic about it!
And a career there might be an option.

Nikolai is in the "seek and be inspired" phase of his life. He would like to continue his modelling work alongside a career.

And how do their parents view it?
N: "We sometimes get a pad on the shoulder. I don't think the modelling business is my father's cup of tea, but he thinks it's exciting to follow from the sideline."
Nikolai invited J&M (FYI: called far and Marie) to a Dior show and he thinks they were "blown away". It was good to have them there.
But Nikolai does not take his current modelling success for granted.

They have always been close, but when Nikolai went away to Herlufsholm their relationship changed, it became deeper and they enjoyed more being together. That's also how it is with their dad, when he went away to France.

Felix view Nikolai as a big inspiration and it's good to have him as a more experienced role model.
Nikolai see Felix as having humor, being fun and having wits. They share the same humor. He is caring and a gentleman. (In the behavioral definition of the word. Perhaps especially in regards to women.)

Both share a love for cooking, something PH had a direct influence on.

Both are fond of rock music. Felix is very broad in his taste, while Nikolai is more into niche-rock.

But how close are they to M&F?
Nikolai points out that you tend to become closer as you grow older. He and cousin (fætter) Christian have begun to see more of each other and that applies to uncle (onkel) and the rest of the family as well. But there is quite a gap between him and the twins. - Still, it's lively when all the cousins are together!
They hope Christian can learn from their experiences, should he want to.

The relationship to Frederik?
N: "It's close for sure. Apart from him being uncle he is also my godfather. I do feel we have a closely knit bond."
F: "You are always having a good time with your uncle. It's like... not like having a dad, but something along these lines. So we have a strong attachment to the Crown prince."

They have a fine relationship with QMII as well, describing her as a "walking encyclopedia". And while they may relate more to their dad and uncle, QMII can also do something when it's about creativity.

Joachim is arrogant?
N: "The criticism is unreasonable. I don't know if it's something we notice as such. Again, we are first and foremost glad it isn't us. But obviously it also affects us when it's our parents, our dad in particular and when we ourselves think it's unfair."
F: "That's what we talked about previously. It's about simply taking all the positive with you. He was for example commended for the historical series he hosted on TV, we saw them and it was incredibly exciting." (FYI: If I remember correctly you can find them in the DR1 archive, hopefully with English subtitles.)

Joachim got a lot of sympathy when he got a stroke?
Felix found the public support tremendously touching.
Nikolai find it a bit annoying that things had to go that far, before his father's personality got a positive view.

They call and write (probably text) with their dad and use as much time together when he is in DK to spend time together as possible.

Both brothers feel very happy and are pleased with their lives. They are healthy and Nicolai is a bachelor and summer is coming. (I think that illustrates very well the "Danish happiness.")

- Thus ends N&F's first major, two hour, interview.

Thanks, Muhler!

It sounds as if they acknowledge that Joachim isn't very happy with their choices (quitting the military and going into modelling) while their mother supported (or even encouraged) both. Nonetheless, they've started to appreciate him as well. Although the sentence that they are first and foremost glad that the criticism is not aimed at them but at their father, seems a bit weird.

I also don't fully understand why the relationship with their uncle and family 'becomes closer when you get older' - does that suggest that living with their mother made them less close?

Thanks, Muhler!

It sounds as if they acknowledge that Joachim isn't very happy with their choices (quitting the military and going into modelling) while their mother supported (or even encouraged) both. Nonetheless, they've started to appreciate him as well. Although the sentence that they are first and foremost glad that the criticism is not aimed at them but at their father, seems a bit weird.

I also don't fully understand why the relationship with their uncle and family 'becomes closer when you get older' - does that suggest that living with their mother made them less close?

I fund that slightly weird too. It clearly refers to what they experienced after leaving the military, but I think it refers specifically to a part of the interview that that didn't make it into the magazine.

As for the second half of your post: I believe this refers to the fact that your relationship with your parents and other adult relatives change as you become an adult yourself.
You love and have a close relationship (hopefully!) with your dad and uncle because he is kind, funny, protective and loving.
But when you grow you also learn to understand your dad and uncle as adults and as someone you are on equal terms with and then it develops (again hopefully!) more into a kind of friendship based on mutual respect and understanding.

What I really noticed in this interview was not only that Martin Jørgensen wasn't mentioned - that was to be expected. But Mary wasn't mentioned at all. Marie hardly mentioned, despite them undeniable having a good relationship with her. (Nor was Isabella for that matter. She is not that much younger, is she? Also in relative terms.)
And what about their mormor and morfar?
After the divorce they lived next to Joachim on his estate, right until he married our Marie. That's an interesting family-dynamic that I'd love to learn more about.

- There is an idea in the back of my mind as to why, but it's pure speculation and for the sake of peace on this thread I'll keep that thought to myself.

Nikolai find it a bit annoying that things had to go that far, before his father's personality got a positive view.

Ah, Felix may have brains, but Nikolai is sharp. It's okay, Nik, people are back to viewing him as an arrogant complainer...:whistling: No worries.

Nicolai is a bachelor

Felix. Right? Unless something happened with young Benedikte in the last couple of weeks.

There is something funny about QMII vicariously enjoying modeling by whatever she hears from Nikolai.

Last edited:
Ah, Felix may have brains, but Nikolai is sharp. It's okay, Nik, people are back to viewing him as an arrogant complainer...:whistling: No worries.

Felix. Right? Unless something happened with young Benedikte in the last couple of weeks.

There is something funny about QMII vicariously enjoying modeling by whatever she hears from Nikolai.

No, Nikolai's got a bachelor from the university.

:previous: ;)

No, I hope Nikolai and Benedikte stay together she's a bright girl, and seems to be sweet too, and she is discreet.

I know that, but in this context, it was about the unmarried state of Nikolai.

No, it was not; see original comment below - as Nikolai is the one with a university degree and with a girl friend while Felix has neither of them :flowers: Nikolai and Benedikte (his girlfriend) having earned their Bachelor degrees was also discussed in Muhler's post on June 16.

Second part of the interview with Nikolai and Felix in Billed Bladet #25, 2022.
Interviewers: Ulrik Ulriksen & Marianne Singer.

A compressed version.

(...)

Both brothers feel very happy and are pleased with their lives. They are healthy and Nicolai is a bachelor and summer is coming. (I think that illustrates very well the "Danish happiness.")

- Thus ends N&F's first major, two hour, interview.

Last edited:
I thought a bachelor meant "an unmarried man"?

It does, but a man who is unattached and not dating anyone would also be considered one. The English phrase about a degree is "has [his/her/their/a] bachelor" rather than "is a bachelor". As Muhler was talking about good times in the summer, I just assumed it was romantic rather than referring to Nikolai's qualification. And that he must have meant Felix, who is single atm. Fun with multiple meanings, indeed.

Now I wish someone had asked Felix why he didn't want to go to Herlufsholm. But I doubt that would have come up, even more than I'm surprised they asked about the military (even to get skillfully evasive answers) at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom