Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, News Part 2: July 2018 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what happened to the boys. Were they under pressure (mostly from their father) to join the military although that was not really what they wanted? That is what I thought in Nikolai's case, but now it also happened to his brother, which I find an odd coincidence.

I know that is a far-fetched assumption, but could the princes have been given a harder time in basic training because of who they are?

I don't think Christian has the same freedom to simply quit or opt out of military training. He will probably have to put up with it whether he likes it or not.

Not at all far-fetched IMO.
And I do think Nikolai and Felix, just like anyone else who comes from a privileged background, would have had to work extra hard, at least in the beginning, to prove themselves to their mates.
It's no different than what Frederik and Joachim went through when they were in boot camp. They had to work that bit extra.
And so for that matter would Elisabeth of Belgium have had to.

It may have been the first time Nikolai and Felix have had to really struggle, physically and mentally and being told off and perhaps also being told exactly what their mates think of them if they complain or don't pull their weight.
It's of course speculation, but it's an environment that may be totally different from what they are used to. They are both very bright lads, but in the army they could not cope only on their intelligence, they would have had to work hard, physically and mentally. And being told when they didn't work hard enough or committed themselves as much as they could. - That's boot camp for you.
Especially in an officers academy. Of course.
People sign up for officers training, because they really want a military career. And those who don't want it hard enough are weeded out.

I won't blame Edward for failing being a part of the Royal Marines. By all accounts he really tried. There was no need to ridicule him for that.
It's a question whether he should ever have signed up for such a tough unit. Surely there would have other alternatives in British military better suited for him back then?

Basic training is supposed to break you down so that the army can build you up the way they need. A lot of people struggle and just concentrate on surviving so they can get to the next part. It certainly isn't for everyone but I would have thought someone potentially aiming for a career position and having a father who went through the same thing would have an idea that that part isn't forever and to expect it.

As others have said, many people find first jobs or schools and uni challenging for the first couple of months or the whole of the first term and then things get better or at least you can say you've given it a fair try if you quit. A month really doesn't seem a long time during training.

Then again perhaps he was advised to step away now because he wasn't suited or some other personal reason they're not going to share.

I most certainly hope he isn't ridiculed for it but it is more curious because it follows the pattern his brother started and Felix was supposed to be the one who enjoyed physical activity. - Not that that necessarily means the army is for you.

Hopefully he will use this experience to find something that fits him in the future.

Can Prince Christian refuse to have a military training? Or can he give up like his cousins did?
I feel for Christian too. The pressure on him will be much greater.
I don't agree that the pressure will be much greater now.
Christian is a future king, so the pressure on him was and will always be greater than that on his cousins (and he does not have the luxury of a free choice). And since his father completed the training as frogman Christian was/is probably expected to train in an elite special force as well.
But now that his two cousins dropped out after a short time, people will probably already be happy if he just completes a basic training.

Last edited:
I don't agree that the pressure will be much greater now.
Christian is a future king, so the pressure on him was and will always be greater than that on his cousins (and he does not have the luxury of a free choice). And since his father completed the training as frogman Christian was/is probably expected to train in an elite special force as well.
But now that his two cousins dropped out after a short time, people will probably already be happy if he just completes a basic training.

I agree that this will relieve pressure on Christian, not increase it. If he can make it through even a few months, he'll have surpassed his cousins.

It wouldn't surprise me if Christian's preparation begins before he ever gets to basic training, so he is physically and mentally ready when the course begins. Set him up to succeed.

I agree that this will relieve pressure on Christian, not increase it. If he can make it through even a few months, he'll have surpassed his cousins.

It wouldn't surprise me if Christian's preparation begins before he ever gets to basic training, so he is physically and mentally ready when the course begins. Set him up to succeed.

That is in fact standard practice.

The conscripts get a training program they are encouraged to follow in the months prior to joining the unit their are going to serve with. The purpose of course being that the service is less strenuous for the conscripts to and avoid too many injuries.
There simply isn't time enough during the conscript service of typically 3-4 months to slowly build up strength for those who are out of shape.

The purpose of conscription nowadays is mainly to recruit people for the regulars and build up a reserve to call up and train thoroughly if need be. And secondly to create a bond between the civilian population and the military, so that the military doesn't become a detached segment of it's own. It also keeps the influx of recruits at a higher level in regards to education, political viewpoints and craftsmanship.

As such the conscripts today are 95+ % volunteers. Including around 25 % women, who cannot be called up, but they can volunteer.

In my time many more were called up, and we served for much longer, because we were supposed to end up being ready to serve at the front, should the Cold War have turned hot.
So we got a function we trained specifically for after basic training. Today they are send home - or as in the case of the Guards Battalions of the Royal Lifeguard Regiment, they serve at the royal palaces. Or serve as a crew aboard Dannebrog.

"Meet His Royal Highness Prince Nikolai of Denmark, scion of the oldest monarchy in Europe. As the son of Prince Joachim of Denmark and Hong Kong-born Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg, Nikolai’s ancestry crosses continents and cultures.

A sociable and engaging young man of eclectic tastes, Prince Nikolai knows how to mix business with pleasure. Having walked the runway for Burberry at London Fashion Week and opened Kim Jones's first menswear show at Dior, he is now getting down to his studies at Copenhagen Business School."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVU-1T4qR5P/

I can't see who posted that because Instagram, but isn't Nikolai not "Royal", just HH? Whoever wrote that missed a spot.

In the video Nikolai says (in English) "Royalty to me is family and traditions. Royal Highness Prince Nikolai, definitely just Nikolai"

maybe he doesn't remember he is not HRH, but HH.
HRH is used more than once in this post.

Nothing like a royal getting their own title wrong? :ohmy:

There's something wrong in the video when the voice is saying "Royal Highnes Prince eeh Nikolai" - or am I the only hearing the "eeeh"?

In the video Nikolai says (in English) "Royalty to me is family and traditions. Royal Highness Prince Nikolai, definitely just Nikolai"

maybe he doesn't remember he is not HRH, but HH.
HRH is used more than once in this post.

Wow, you would expect him to know that he is a highness and not a royal highness. In Denmark that's reserved for the children of the monarch or heir; not for grandchildren...

There's something wrong in the video when the voice is saying "Royal Highnes Prince eeh Nikolai" - or am I the only hearing the "eeeh"?
Based on your comment I checked the video, and I'd say, he says: royal highness, prince OR Nikolai. Definitely, just Nikolai.

"Meet His Royal Highness Prince Nikolai of Denmark, scion of the oldest monarchy in Europe. As the son of Prince Joachim of Denmark and Hong Kong-born Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg, Nikolai’s ancestry crosses continents and cultures.

A sociable and engaging young man of eclectic tastes, Prince Nikolai knows how to mix business with pleasure. Having walked the runway for Burberry at London Fashion Week and opened Kim Jones's first menswear show at Dior, he is now getting down to his studies at Copenhagen Business School."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVU-1T4qR5P/
Looks like the text has been changed, it now says 'Meet His Highness...'. Several people mentioned the error in the comments, so they got the message...

Last edited:
Here is a non-Instagram link to the post. https://www.picuki.com/media/2690051219814686287 The text has been changed but the video, of course, still says "HRH Prince Nikolai". I think Raffles might get a quiet call from the Danish Embassy.

He definitely says, "'Royal Highness', 'Prince', or 'Nikolai'? Definitely just 'Nikolai'." Which is good; maybe he does know he's not entitled to the first one.

Here is the "film" from Raffles, with correct titling for Nikolai. And that's him saying "Welcome to Raffles" at the end.
From their website: "he was asked by Peter Greenaway to act naked — nudity being one of the filmmaker's recurring themes. Unshockable, Nikolai remarked that his grandmother wouldn't love the film as much if he did." :cool:

I think it's safe to say that Nik not only knows his title, but is very, very far from being stupid...;)
(Also whoever the little girl is, she probably reminds him of Athena.)

Last edited:
Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, News Part 2: July 2018 -

I see that Princess Maria Olympia of Greece and Denmark also appears in this video with Nikolai.

Last edited:
Hmmm, Nikolai had said something about how in modeling he can just be Nikolai and not a prince. This campaign is very much playing up his title.

Yes, and he did manage to get "granny the Queen" in there...

It's probably one thing to be "just Nikolai" and another thing if everyone else working on the shoot has a title and is there for that reason. How many regular (not super) models have ever stayed at Raffles? I'm not even sure the Habsburg ladies had prior to this.

(even MO says she's never been, and her family definitely could have stayed without thinking twice)

And I think "Granny the Queen [will either have you or me killed...]" is a perfectly good (and frankly, brilliant) excuse for not taking your clothes off. Nikolai might have been happy to do it without her (who knows?), but since he can't without causing her problems, it's not even an excuse, just a fact.

Last edited:
Hmmm, Nikolai had said something about how in modeling he can just be Nikolai and not a prince. This campaign is very much playing up his title.

In other news, Felix has also been in Paris visiting Nikolai and I'm sure Joachim and family.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/efter-militaerexit-prins-felix-er-rejst-til-paris
Nice picture of the two
Well, the whole campaign is based on Royalty and the aristocracy. So, Nicolai being presented as just "Nicolai Denmark" for instance while all the others featured in this spot being presented by all their titles would not make sense!

In other news, Felix has also been in Paris visiting Nikolai and I'm sure Joachim and family.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/efter-militaerexit-prins-felix-er-rejst-til-paris
Nice picture of the two

All the people who appeared in the ad were titled. That was the whole point of it.

I wonder why that would make anyone want to stay at the hotel. The ad doesn't work for me, but I am not European.

Well, the whole campaign is based on Royalty and the aristocracy. So, Nicolai being presented as just "Nicolai Denmark" for instance while all the others featured in this spot being presented by all their titles would not make sense!

All the people who appeared in the ad were titled. That was the whole point of it.

Nonetheless, most of the still reigning royal families of Europe have adopted the policy of discouraging the commercial use of royal titles, so Nikolai and his grandmother the Queen are atypical in that respect.

I wonder why that would make anyone want to stay at the hotel. The ad doesn't work for me, but I am not European.

Wouldn't work for me either.
Partly because I doubt I could (and would!!) afford it.

And partly because I don't care who I share a hotel with - even if they are royals.

- Weeell, as Polyesco pointed out he sure manages to get his title mentioned quite often, when on the job.
Nikolai's looks and modeling talent aside the competition is hard and he basically only has his title to stand out from the crowd.

Nonetheless, most of the still reigning royal families of Europe have adopted the policy of discouraging the commercial use of royal titles, so Nikolai and his grandmother the Queen are atypical in that respect.

Doing it with your clothes off is however apparently a bridge too far. :cool:

And given this is a potential broadcast campaign, this was surely more "nudity with LOTS of strategically-placed objects in the way" than actual nudity. And would have undoubtedly garnered Nikolai some attention for his career and made him quite memorable. And he still said no. Because he is sensible. And respectful.

And I'd be very surprised if that director was the first one who'd asked. :whistling:

Fwiw, I like the campaign, but I am a fan of color and fantasy.

Last edited:
A new Raffles spot.

I want to say Nikolai says something in Danish in the middle, but I'm not sure it isn't German. A speaker of one will have to enlighten me.

That's Danish.

What color do I hate? That must be yellow.

- A weird commercial or whatever it is.

Not that weird. Aside from nudity, one of the themes in Peter Greenaway's films is color, or at least he's been perpetually influenced by particular Renaissance paintings, so Wikipedia tells me.

Anyway, "color" is obviously a major feature in this campaign (it was very pre-eminent in the long spot), and so in this one, they literally talk about colors.

Am I the only one who's seen Mad Men? :flowers:

Surely Prince Charming wasn't swiping at the lillebror with his color dislike. :cool: https://www.bt.dk/royale/efter-militaerexit-prins-felix-er-rejst-til-paris

Last edited:
Thank you for the cultural lesson. :flowers:

I have to confess ignorance. Both in regards to Mad Men and the director. :ermm:

Let's hope Nikolai doesn't fall for the temptation to appear in the buff.
While some might find the sight of barebacked males alluring, I must admit that the sight is less than desirable for my taste - generally reminding me of pale, cratered moons with tuffs of hair sticking up here and there. :ohmy:

Hmm....somehow I'm not convinced a description of that nature would be why Farmor would kill him. :flowers:

I hope that if he ever does decide to do it, it's not for a few more years still, because it's doubly-complicated. All the people screaming about how he's disrespecting-plus-commercializing his grandma and title and the Danish throne, all the tabloids and the internet getting it for free...and then professionally once you're willing to do it, every single person who hires you after that can ask.

So like I said initially, Nik is both smooth and smart to use Daisy for a shield in this. They are simplifying things for each other.

Last edited:
Let's hope so.

Knowing that farmor Margrethe can get angry, I don't think Nikolai would like to face a dressing down from an irate grandmother.
?:hiding:

The legendary Michael Caine has said that once you do a nude-scene there is no going back, so he advised actors against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom