Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, News Part 2: July 2018 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nikolai has put his apartment up for sale.
It is confirmed.
The reason is that he will go to Paris to study at a university.

When he has finished his studies he will decide where to live.

1½ years ago he bought the apartment for 4.1 million DKK. Now it's for sale for 5.5 million DKK.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/prins-nikolai-saelger-sin-lejlighed
https://www.boliga.dk/artikel/farvel-til-koebenhavn-prins-nikolais-lejlighed-er-til-salg

If you wish to have a look at his apartment:
https://paulun.dk/ejendomme/ejerlejlighed/1363/vendersgade-31b-1/

I think it's pretty evident that his girlfriend has lived there as well. There is a distinct feminine touch - pillows and vases.
Young dudes don't understand the purpose of vases and decorative pillows.

------------

Interesting!
If he only intends to study in France for two or three years there is IMO no reason to put the apartment up for sale. He could easily put it up for rent.
An apartment in such a neighborhood in downtown Copenhagen will not lose value, unless we have a new severe financial crisis.
So three thoughts springs to mind:
A) He intends to settle abroad. Paris or Milan would be my guesses off hand. Both cities are centers for fashion and modelling.
B) He is raising money for the down payment of an apartment in Paris.
C) That one I'll keep to myself. (Pure speculation.)

What course will Nikolai take in Paris? and what university is he going to study?

What course will Nikolai take in Paris? and what university is he going to study?

Don't know. The articles doesn't say.

And congratulations on your first 7.000 posts. :flowers:

As I've understood it, he's only taking one semester abroad on exchange from September 2021 to January 2022 and then coming back to Denmark to finish his BA degree at CBS.

If he was to spend several years in France right now, he'd have to transfer universities but of course there's always the opportunity to go back to France (or somewhere else – IIRC he was supposed to spend this semester in Hong Kong and not France) in a year for his MA.

He'll be taking courses at PSB Paris School of Business. He's studying Business Administration and Service Management at CBS, so I'm guessing the courses he'll be taking in Paris will be something relevant to that.

Last edited:
Nikolai's girlfriend has moved into their new apartment in Paris, she tweets, and Nikolai will join her later.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...loerer-spaendende-nyt-saa-mondaent-skal-de-bo

It's located in 4. arrondissement.
Beneidikte Thousturp tweets: Le Marais - Paris 4 ÉME and enclose of photo of the view from the apartment for those who can find her tweet.

- Now, what can our French members tell us about the neighborhood?

Not French, but from what I do recall about Paris Le Marais is very old, stylish, Left Bank, the former ghetto? (as in 'way pre-WWII'), and dating a member of the DRF surely can't hurt with affording the cost of a place there, like most nice parts of Paris!

Thanks. ?

It also helps having close relatives in France, both dad's and bonus-mother's families. And having a girlfriend with a pretty affluent dad as well.

Prince Nikolai attended the Cartier Clash [Un]limited launch in Berlin, Germany, yesterday, September 27:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Sounds like a similar situation to Nikolai's.

Alexandra's press secretary elaborates to Billed Bladet:

"Prince Felix stops his military training because it simply doesn't suit him. As such he has decided to end it. Now he needs space to figure out what he wants to do (...) The Countess is happy her sons want to challenge themselves. Even if they sometimes don't succeed."

Prince Felix has decided to stop/interrupt his military training for private reasons. No more information provided and no further comment will be forthcoming. Here is the very short press release:
https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/hh-prins-felix-afbryder-sin-militaere-uddannelse

Sounds like a similar situation to Nikolai's.

Alexandra's press secretary elaborates to Billed Bladet:

"Prince Felix stops his military training because it simply doesn't suit him. As such he has decided to end it. Now he needs space to figure out what he wants to do (...) The Countess is happy her sons want to challenge themselves. Even if they sometimes don't succeed."

I am sure it was not an easy decision, and I think he probablky needs some space now.

Which means he did not complete basic training.

I must confess that I am a little disappointed. Considering that his brother faced some issues in the military he didn't like, surely Felix would have thought extra careful and been extra committed before signing up for officers academy.
What did he expect? To command a tank after the first month?

It's never fun to start a new job or a new education. And sometimes you have to grit your teeth and carry on for the first months, where you are completely confused and make loads of mistakes and you don't feel at home yet.
Not least in the military where the first weeks in many units are designed to weed out those who don't have the will for it.

Had he completed at least basic training and then decided that this wasn't his thing. The okay, fair enough. Then it's better to opt out rather than having the military as a career. (After all Felix in contrast to Nikolai, opted to be a career officer.)
It is unfortunately something often seen in the military these days. Because even though DK has conscription, it's almost 100 % volunteer.
And in the Royal Lifeguard Regiment, which is supposed to consist of the most dedicated conscripts, it happens that up to 50 % are send home before basic training is over, because they are not physically or mentally fit enough.
I saw an excellent docu about that regiment a couple of years ago (QMII made several appearances) and one recruit I noticed in the background was probably 25+ kilos overweight. How can you sign up for a combat regiment if you are obese and expect to make it?
I know I'm going to sound like "young people nowadays" but there is some truth to the fact that a percentage of young people simply give up too easy.
They are not used to adversity and as such not used to the feeling of victory, if you have grit your teeth and made it through something that wasn't much fun - to start with.
Unfortunately we also see that tendency among some of the new employees we have in the company I work for. They are not used to hanging on and push through.

I suspect that is the case with Felix.
Because obviously he wasn't discharged for medical of physical reasons.

Another thing that bothers me is that this puts extra pressure on Christian. As future commander in chief, he is expected to have a military career. He can't just opt out.

I agree so much with you Muhler.

After a month?! This concerns me because it seems like they jump at the first sign of adversity. :sad:
I wonder if he really put thought into this, especially after Nikolai's trial and error. A month, just wow.

And yes, when I saw the news I also couldn't help but think of Christian and the extra pressure.

I do wonder what Joachim is thinking, both sons quitting after a month or so.

I agree with both Muhler and Polyesco. I kind of rolled my eyes a bit to be honest. The optics it gives is of a sense of entitlement and once he realized he would get no special treatment, he bounced. Apologies if that sounds harsh, but that is the appearance it gives. And what did he expect? I may show my age saying "the kids these days" just have zero ability to endure any kind of adversity and tough things out...to actually challenge and push themselves....hey, maybe by doing that they would actually learn something about others and themselves. Always a good lesson.

I was wondering also what Joachim was thinking about this. Further, I'm sorry, but should Alexandra's press secretary be saying anything on the record when the court's press release specifically said there would be no further comment? Especially given that Joachim had put out no statement about it at all via his press secretary? Can she do that? Besides, what what said via her camp has made Felix look not that great IMO. Sorry for saying that, but I am genuinely curious if there is some sort of protocol with this type of thing and who can put out what statement and when. Pure Speculation on my part, but could the court have put out that very curt statement because they heard that Alexandra's camp was putting out a statement of some sort?

I also feel for Christian. He is about to turn 16 and the pressure and focus is only going to increase as he nears 18.

Last edited:
Well I hope he takes time to find something that suits him better.

However it is unfortunate coming some closely after his brother did exactly the same thing. I would have thought he and his parents would have made sure it was the right decision for him after that.

I wonder if he thought he could "make up" for his brother choosing something else. Although one would hope that anyone applying for Officer Training would put more consideration into it than that.

It seems a shame not to even finish basic training considering the effort made to get there.

Alexandra probably shouldn't have issued that statement because he doesn't come off great, even though there would have been speculation anyway.

Can Prince Christian refuse to have a military training? Or can he give up like his cousins did?
I feel for Christian too. The pressure on him will be much greater.

It's too bad about Felix, but perhaps he did prepare and still came up against something he just couldn't handle. We don't know and we won't unless he says something, which he isn't likely to do right now. I don't think this necessarily makes him entitled or fickle.

And I don't think what Nik and Felix do has much to do with Christian, honestly. They're cousins, not brothers, and they've always been on very separate paths. And Christian won't be 18 for another 2 years, which is a long time, especially in people's memories.

I do think it will put pressure on Christian. They might be cousins but they're close, and Nik and Felix are going to share their experience with Christian for sure (I mean, if they gave up at 1 month or so, it means they don't have good things to say about it, it will be all negative things).

And I must say that Elisabeth surprised me in a good way. Though a different course, Elisabeth endured similar things at Military Academy and she finish it brilliantly. All more power to her. Gender doesn't matter when we put our hearts into it.

EDIT:
Not saying that Felix is a "loser", he is free to decide what to do with his own life, but it was too abrupt, and he didn't even finish basic training. Considering what happened with Nik, he should've known what to expect. But I guess we only know when we are in it, but at least, he could've completed basic training.

I don't know if there is any protocol or even agreement set in stone in regards to statements, but I'm sure any statements are expected to be pretty much in line with each other.

So they are in line, but Alexandra's statement is just more detailed.
I guess that was wise in the long run, because even though this make Felix look bad - in the eyes of some - the truth would come out eventually. And now Felix can focus on moving on, just like Nikolai.

I won't go into speculating about how Joachim feels about this. They are his sons, we must assume he loves them dearly, regardless whether he personally is disappointed or fully support them. And naturally he won't go out and say anything that is not in support of his sons.

Christian can of course choose not to have a military career, but that would make him the first Danish monarch ever not to have a personal affiliation with the armed forces.
He would be unable to wear a uniform and it would be seen as odd, I'd even go as far as him being less respected, if he didn't at the very least complete boot camp. Because there is nothing physically or mentally to hinder him from completing at least basic training. Because he is to be the commander in chief, even if it's only in name.
Alternatively he could complete training in the Civil Defense, if the military was for whatever reason unpalatable to him. Just do some service, I say.
In short: It won't make things easier for Christian if he doesn't complete some sort of military service.

We don't know what happened with Nikolai, Felix, or Elisabeth. But only Elisabeth is the heir to a throne, and only Elisabeth would have been under immense pressure and consequences to finish.

Christian also has a father who completed far more grueling and lengthy military training. I'm sure Fred can highlight the positive aspects for him (and has).

Had I read only the statement from the royal court with its curt "private reasons" and a preemptory refusal to comment, I would have wondered if there might be - for example - a serious health issue, so as I see it the Countess of Frederiksborg's office was wise to clarify.

I'm not sure how fair it is to suppose that there must be a generational change among Danes in regards to work or military commitments. Princes Nikolai and Felix are not official representatives of their generation or of Danes in general and their position is highly unusual.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that much like Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie of the UK, Princes Nikolai and Felix were brought up as high-ranking members of the Royal House but became adults at a time when the Royal House was beginning to slim down and are now expected to have much more ordinary and private lives than might have been expected for them when they were young children. I am wondering if all adult male members of the Royal House previously took military training, because that would account for why the princes might have enlisted in military training despite their apparent lack of determination to finish.

I think Christian will do the military training until the end, it looks like he has the profile for that.
As for Nikolai and Felix they may simply not have enjoyed military life. But it's a shame they gave up.
It's obvious that Christian is going to be under pressure and he's going to have to do things right.

Like with Nikolai, I think it's very easy to sit around and judge without knowing the ins and outs of what's actually transpired. Should Felix perhaps have put more research into what he was signing up for? Maybe. Could it be that he felt an added obligation to serve when Nikolai dropped out which led him to sign up for something he didn't really want to do? Doesn't sound far-fetched to me. Or something third or fourth or fifth that doesn't make him "entitled".

I'm still vehemently opposed to the idea that anyone should force themselves to do something they don't want to do. There's just as much growth in being able to admit to yourself (and in Felix's case, the rest of the country) that this particular situation isn't right for you.

I was wondering also what Joachim was thinking about this. Further, I'm sorry, but should Alexandra's press secretary be saying anything on the record when the court's press release specifically said there would be no further comment? Especially given that Joachim had put out no statement about it at all via his press secretary? Can she do that? Besides, what what said via her camp has made Felix look not that great IMO. Sorry for saying that, but I am genuinely curious if there is some sort of protocol with this type of thing and who can put out what statement and when. Pure Speculation on my part, but could the court have put out that very curt statement because they heard that Alexandra's camp was putting out a statement of some sort?

Can she do it? Well, obviously. And Alexandra wouldn't put out a statement Felix wouldn't want her to put out. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was Felix that felt the DRF's statement was too elusive and wanted to elaborate.

The DRF's statement makes it sound like there's something gravely wrong – that he's ill or there's illness within the immediate family – which forced him to drop out. Alexandra's is transparent. I think that's admirable. Not feeling a need to whitewash anything. As a matter of fact, I think it's a very healthy contrast to the DRF press machine whose modus operandi is hushing things to death – perfectly exemplified in the recent debacle surrounding Felix's own father.

I'm more disappointed that it was just a month. His boots aren't even broken in to at this point.

But I am sure he will learn from this and I hope he finds his footy in his next decisions. Life is hard, but he already has a huge advantage and I hope he finds that fulfillment.

I hope the Danish press doesn't make fun of both princes like the way the British press did to Edward.

I do think it will put pressure on Christian. They might be cousins but they're close, and Nik and Felix are going to share their experience with Christian for sure (I mean, if they gave up at 1 month or so, it means they don't have good things to say about it, it will be all negative things).

And I must say that Elisabeth surprised me in a good way. Though a different course, Elisabeth endured similar things at Military Academy and she finish it brilliantly. All more power to her. Gender doesn't matter when we put our hearts into it.

EDIT:
Not saying that Felix is a "loser", he is free to decide what to do with his own life, but it was too abrupt, and he didn't even finish basic training. Considering what happened with Nik, he should've known what to expect. But I guess we only know when we are in it, but at least, he could've completed basic training.

I wonder what happened to the boys. Were they under pressure (mostly from their father) to join the military although that was not really what they wanted? That is what I thought in Nikolai's case, but now it also happened to his brother, which I find an odd coincidence.

I know that is a far-fetched assumption, but could the princes have been given a harder time in basic training because of who they are?

I don't think Christian has the same freedom to simply quit or opt out of military training. He will probably have to put up with it whether he likes it or not.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that much like Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie of the UK, Princes Nikolai and Felix were brought up as high-ranking members of the Royal House but became adults at a time when the Royal House was beginning to slim down and are now expected to have much more ordinary and private lives than might have been expected for them when they were young childre

Neither Nikolai nor Felix was awarded the Order of the Elephant when they turned 18. That suggests to me that they are not regarded as high-ranking members of the Royal Family. I don't think they were ever expected to take up official royal duties as their father, much less receive a stipend from the State. Both of them seem keen on having private careers and Nikolai in particular might even choose to live overseas.

They have the title of Prince with the style of Highness, but that just seems to be the Danish custom and has no bearing on their position in the Royal Family. It is possible that their future children, if they are in the line of succession to the throne, will be princes too, however far they may be from the throne.

Last edited:
I hope the Danish press doesn't make fun of both princes like the way the British press did to Edward.

No, fortunately that hasn't been the case as far as I'm aware.

It's perhaps another matter at the coffee tables, in as far as people are even discussing it.

It would of course be a completely different matter had in been Christian who opted out after such a short period.
As Polyesco points out, Felix (and Nikolai's) boots had hardly been muddied yet.

I believe in the character building in trying, and trying hard, when you commit yourself to something, and only then opt out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom