The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-29-2019, 05:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iolanthe View Post
Because the customs differ from country to country - how unsual is it for a student in Denmark to buy his/her own flat? In Germany that would be really over the top, even with pretty rich parents (if your parents by chance own an appropriate flat, you could of course live there, but normally you would always rent at this age.)
But I know that Germans rent much more than almost everyone else, so maybe this isn't as posh as it seems to me?
I'd say it depends.

Back when I was studying in Copenhagen, I had a lot of friends (not necessarily wealthy) who knew they were going to be staying in Copenhagen for a long time (medical students, etc.), who figured it made sense to buy and pay down on a loan instead of paying rent.

Other than that, I would hear in the media about parents buying an apartment for their children to live in while studying.

For Nikolai, there is a) income from modeling, b) the Danish SU https://www.su.dk/english/ and c) possibly inheritance from Prince Henrik?

I think it is actually to his credit that he isn't staying longer in the lower-rent apartment in Amalienborg complex than he had to, since he is not going to be a working royal, and is technically an adult now. It gives a better media image for the royal family as well.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Back on the catwalk...

Nikolai walked the runway for the Dior Homme Menswear Fall/Winter 2020-2021 show as part of Paris Fashion Week today, January 17:

** Pic ** rex gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

Old 01-17-2020, 09:06 PM
Majesty

I wonder if Joachim and/or Marie attended. Since it's in Paris
Old 01-18-2020, 05:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Depends on when he walked the catwalk I guess.

Perhaps our Marie would have attended, if she knew he was going to be a model there. I guess Alexandra was there in the background, and since she seemingly has an amiable relationship with Marie, she could of course have called her and invited her back stage.

But I think Nikolai went to see J&M afterwards. Certainly his younger siblings would be delighted as they are very fond of him.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Has Nikolai got piercings around his eyes?

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-19-2020, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Has Nikolai got piercings around his eyes?
I'm sure that's part of the show make-up, it's nothing that is going to stay.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:47 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I had thought that would be the case but it's always good to double check. Thank you

Old 01-21-2020, 04:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Nikolai and Princess Maria Olympia with friends including George Spencer-Churchill last week in Singapore

https://instagram.fath4-2.fna.fbcdn....b5&oe=5EC19F0D
https://instagram.fath4-2.fna.fbcdn....a9&oe=5EBFEE62
https://instagram.fath4-2.fna.fbcdn....87&oe=5ED20092
Old 01-21-2020, 05:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Prince Nikolai and Princess Maria Olympia with friends including George Spencer-Churchill last week in Singapore

https://instagram.fath4-2.fna.fbcdn....b5&oe=5EC19F0D
https://instagram.fath4-2.fna.fbcdn....a9&oe=5EBFEE62
https://instagram.fath4-2.fna.fbcdn....87&oe=5ED20092
One of the friends is Padmanabh Singh, the Maharaja of Jaipur.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:27 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
One of the friends is Padmanabh Singh, the Maharaja of Jaipur.
And one is George Blandford.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry View Post
And one is George Blandford.
George Blandford and George Spencer-Churchill is the same person. It's a perfect illustration of the discussion going on in the British titles forum about aristocratic titles used as surnames.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
George Blandford and George Spencer-Churchill is the same person. It's a perfect illustration of the discussion going on in the British titles forum about aristocratic titles used as surnames.

Before his father became the 12th Duke of Marlborough, was he known as George Sunderland instead ? The use of titles as surnames is very confusing when titles change throughout someone's life.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:53 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Yes, I know. I didn't see that he was already identified in the posts above..
Old 01-21-2020, 05:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Before his father became the 12th Duke of Marlborough, was he known as George Sunderland instead ? The use of titles as surnames is very confusing when titles change throughout someone's life.
Probably it was less confusing in the period when the custom developed, i.e., prior to the evolution of modern needs such as passports, social media and professional branding.

I wonder how long the Glücksburgs will be able to maintain their refusal to use a surname, particularly in the current situation where Prince Joachim's children are/will be allowed to earn a professional income without government oversight. Every other reigning house in Europe either holds a legal surname or uses the name of their country or their dynasty as a surname for certain purposes.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I wonder how long the Glücksburgs will be able to maintain their refusal to use a surname, particularly in the current situation where Prince Joachim's children are/will be allowed to earn a professional income without government oversight.
They've never had any need for a family name uptil now but as you imply that need might change. Those princes who married unequally got the name "af Rosenborg" and those princes who remained in the line of succession used their royal titles even if working commercially (that said it was much different times back then). Nicolai apparently uses his mother's title of "Frederiksborg" when working as a model and I wonder if her surname after her two divorces is "af Frederiksborg".
I'd say that as long as Vincent, Nicolai, Felix & Henrik carry the title of prince they won't need a family name but maybe, I'm speculating here, the creation of the Danish comital title "af Monpezat" has given the members of the family a surname to be used when they so wish?
Old 01-21-2020, 07:03 AM
Majesty

Or "de Laborde" after their grandpa.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
They've never had any need for a family name uptil now but as you imply that need might change. Those princes who married unequally got the name "af Rosenborg" and those princes who remained in the line of succession used their royal titles even if working commercially (that said it was much different times back then). Nicolai apparently uses his mother's title of "Frederiksborg" when working as a model and I wonder if her surname after her two divorces is "af Frederiksborg".
I'd say that as long as Vincent, Nicolai, Felix & Henrik carry the title of prince they won't need a family name but maybe, I'm speculating here, the creation of the Danish comital title "af Monpezat" has given the members of the family a surname to be used when they so wish?

I agree. Nikolai's family name, if needed, should be 'af Monpezat' since it is his patrilineal surname and the name attached to his comital title.

As of now, according to the Royal House, he is 'Nikolai William Alexander Frederik, Prins til Danmark, greve af Monpezat', or, in the short citation, simply 'H.H. Prins Nikolai', see this link.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:32 PM
Majesty

In his recent ads, he goes by Prince Nikolai, and signs just Nikolai
https://picpanzee.com/media/2225827872258260449
https://scontent-frt3-1.cdninstagram...NDIyMw%3D%3D.2
Old 01-21-2020, 04:25 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I didn't know that Nikolai is friends with Princess Maria-Olympia or several British aristocrats; but I guess when you're a royal you just know a lot of people in high society, or if not will be mutually introduced to them.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #4, 2020.
Written by Trine Larsen.

As you recall, Nikolai was a model for Dior Homme in Paris recently.

Joachim and our Marie were there as well, sitting on the front row. And it was the first time they saw Nikolai on the catwalk. After the fashion show they went backstage.
(I guess I have to scan the article, some of you are gonna love the photo with J&M - for fashion-reasons...)
Nikolai is becoming a regular model for Dior and the reason is that the Dior chief-designer, Kim Jones, very much like Nikolai's looks, attitude and background. - And Kim Jones is half Danish. That helps too, even though he was born in London.

After some time back stage it was off for the weekend, which Nikolai spend at home with Joachim and Marie.

From the photos in the article it's clear that all the androgen-looking male models wore earrings and gemstones in the corners of their eyes.

A good friend of Nikolai was also on the catwalk. A Lukas Gomann.