Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, News Part 2: July 2018 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm maybe through the publishing of pictures all grandkids are treated the same. And I think there is an interest in seeing cute kids.
But there are clear differences from the beginning.
Joachim's kids since birth have "only" been HH his/her highness.
While the heirs kids are all since birth HRH His/Her Royal Higness.
Other differences have been noted, for example Christian and Isabella so far are the only ones with official monograms. Christian since he was a baby and Isabella when she turned 9-10. But Nikolai and Felix, even though older, do not.

I wonder if Nikolai's 21st birthday pics will be the end of birthday snaps shared for him.

Felix turns eighteen on 22nd July.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...ten-saadan-bliver-felix-fejret-i-sommerferien

It has now been revealed how he will be celebrated.
- Privately and only with the very nearest and dearest.

He was to be celebrated big time with the whole family, just like Nikolai was. But due to Corona that has been postponed.
He will be celebrated by the family but when and how is not known by anyone.

- My guess is sometime in the autumn, but a very good bet could also be at his nineteenth birthday.

At what age are the Danes allowed to start taking driving lessons (or can their parents teach them how to drive? And can they just show up for the exam?)

Well, our daughter got her drivers license last year under the new rules.

She started taking lessons at 17 (you can start at 16 but it's my impression most start at 17.)
The lessons include theoretical lessons as well as practical lessons, including lessons in driving on a slippery road. All that takes place with a certified driving instructor.
Once the theoretical as well as practical test has been passed - quite a few fail either the theory or practical tests - you get a driving license allowing you to start driving provided you have turned 17.
But until you have turned 18, there must be an adult who is also an experienced driver, accompanying you in the car.
It's only when you have turned 18 that you are allowed to drive solo.

So when our daughter got her license I or her mother went with her in our car, or she drove us to visits or whatever. But her older brother could not accompany her, being four years older than her he was not considered old enough nor experienced enough to accompany her.
But they are pretty strict in regards to traffic violations committed by new drivers! For the first, I think it's three years, a new driver lose the drivers license after two points. For the rest of us who are older and more experienced it's three points and the license is shredded.

Sounds the same as here in the UK. We can get a provisional license at 16 but can start lessons at 17. A lot of people use their provisional as ID if still needed - I have a baby face, so I still need mine, lol (I can't drive for medical reasons so haven't had any lessons to get a "proper" license yet).

The video in this article is pretty great, Felix looks very much like his dad.

With the changes made to the Swedish royal house last year (birthday photographs of Prince Carl Philip's and Princess Madeleine's children are no longer published by the Swedish court, although their parents publish them on their personal social media), I think the Danish royal house is the only remaining European monarchy which treats children of a monarch's younger child as essentially equal to the children of a future monarch. It will be interesting to see whether that remains the case, given that Prince Joachim's children appear to be destined for more private careers than Princess Elisabeth.

I guess the main difference is that Carl Philip's and Madeleine's children are no longer HRHs and are not members of the Royal House anymore. Prince Joachim's children were never HRHs, but they are still HHs and considered "Princes of Denmark", which gives them a much higher status than their Swedish counterparts.

Significantly, Joachim's children are still subject to the requirement of consent to marriages given by the King in a Council of State whereas the Swedish Court now holds the opinion that Carl Philip's and Madeleine's children are now exempt from similar requirements in the Swedish Act of Sucession (as they are also exempt, according to the Court, from the obligation to be raised in Sweden).

Having said that, I am pretty sure that, when Frederik becomes King, his children will be clearly differentiated from their cousins, especially Christian who will be the Crown Prince .

Last edited:
The queens grandchildren are growing up too fast!

Joachim can't talk his way out of being dad to Felix. Especially when you hear Felix talk.

Unfortunately, some believe or choose to believe that Martin Jørgensen is father to Felix, not least when the boy was younger.
But now it's clear he resemble Joachim more and more.

Sometimes people baffle me! It's one thing to think that Martin Jørgensen is Felix' father. You can also discuss it among friends.
But to write it in a forum or as a commentary, especially when it's a child, that's so much lack of tact.
Wonder what these people would say if I sat within earshot in say a bus and discussed openly with the fellow passengers: "That guy down there, yes, him, surely the mailman is his father!"

Felix iss the spitting image of Joachim, considering his mother is half Asian is incredible that non of the 2 boys shows any Asian in them and both inherit his father's blue eyes while theyounger siblings tke more after their mother .

I guess the main difference is that Carl Philip's and Madeleine's children are no longer HRHs and are not members of the Royal House anymore. Prince Joachim's children were never HRHs, but they are still HHs and considered "Princes of Denmark", which gives them a much higher status than their Swedish counterparts.

Significantly, Joachim's children are still subject to the requirement of consent to marriages given by the King in a Council of State whereas the Swedish Court now holds the opinion that Carl Philip's and Madeleine's children are now exempt from similar requirements in the Swedish Act of Sucession (as they are also exempt, according to the Court, from the obligation to be raised in Sweden).

True. Still, we can observe from other European monarchies that they tend to differentiate in practice even when there is no legal differentiation. The nieces and nephews of the King of the Belgians as well as the York princesses in Britain are HRHs and have a place in the order of succession, and there is no differentiation between the House and the Family in those monarchies. Nonetheless they are treated as fully private citizens.

Here, the children of Prince Joachim appear to be handled somewhat inconsistently. By having birthday photographs published and being given their own profiles on the official website, they are treated as public members of the family. But by being denied public funding and a working royal role, and by being given the freedom to earn profit as they please, they are treated as private citizens.

Felix iss the spitting image of Joachim, considering his mother is half Asian is incredible that non of the 2 boys shows any Asian in them and both inherit his father's blue eyes while theyounger siblings tke more after their mother .

Countess Alexandra's ancestry is only one-quarter Asian and her sons are thus only 1/8 Asian.

Apparently Felix is considering a military career and his father is really proud that he does... Hopefully, this time it truly is his choice and not one he thinks his father wants him to make.

Apparently Felix is considering a military career and his father is really proud that he does... Hopefully, this time it truly is his choice and not one he thinks his father wants him to make.

I don't think they are going to do a Nikolai once again.

And it is my impression that Felix is more, shall we say, robust and physical than Nikolai.

Some royal children just aren't cut out for a traditional military career much like how us regular folks have different interests and career choices. I can imagine Felix perhaps enjoys physical activities and challenges more than Nikolai.

I don't think any royal son should be expected to join the military. Unless they are from a country where military service is mandatory.

And if we are going to expect royal princes to serve, then it should be gender neutral. We should expect Athena to serve just as much as her brothers.

Belgium has a good idea with Elisabeth. Not actually doing full military training but doing a year at the academy to get some education in it before university.

Unless they have an infinity for serving in the military it shouldn't be required.

Hopefully this is indeed something Felix is interested in. Not just family expectation.

I agree that royal families should widen the scope of "suitable/expected" careers for spare sons and for the most part I think they are or will be in the future.

However the issue with Nikolai and military training seems to be the expectations and pressure Joachim placed on it because of his own personality, beliefs and experiences, not the Danish Court itself. Thankfully he realised that it's ok if his son wants to follow a different path.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Athena and her female cousins though.

I don't think any royal son should be expected to join the military. Unless they are from a country where military service is mandatory.

And if we are going to expect royal princes to serve, then it should be gender neutral. We should expect Athena to serve just as much as her brothers.

Belgium has a good idea with Elisabeth. Not actually doing full military training but doing a year at the academy to get some education in it before university.

Unless they have an infinity for serving in the military it shouldn't be required.

Hopefully this is indeed something Felix is interested in. Not just family expectation.

There was an objective reason why the heir in particular was expected to have military training, namely that, at least formally, the King is still the commander in chief of the Armed Forces in several countries including Belgium, Norway, Spain and the United Kingdom. In the Netherlands, the supreme command of the Armed Forces is vested in the government, which consists of the King and the ministers meaning the King is a co-commander of the Forces.

In Sweden, the King no longer has a formal role as commander of the Armed Forces although the site of the Royal Court says that, as Head of State, the King "is the foremost representative of the Swedish defence establishment and holds supreme rank in each of the service arm."

Last edited:
There is nothing to hinder Josephine, Isabella and Athena from signing up for volunteer conscription as many girls do. That's their right.
Service in the Guards Hussars and aboard Dannebrog is very sought after by girls.

Christian will be commander-in-chief. He is required to have a hands-on understanding of what military is all about.
And I think that is both proper and right.
Soldiers will go to war, fight and die in his name. The least Christian can do in return is to serve himself and understand the life of a soldier and the young people who are sent out in to serve. And I also think it would be disrespectful for the parents of the soldiers if Christian was not to serve.

We have conscription in this country. The Constitution require all able-bodied men to serve with their person if need be. I would personally not accept a conscientious objection to avoid military service for Christian or worse: because he doesn't feel like it.

As for the rest of them, what they decide is up to them. But it won't kill them and it will give them a personal victory and earn public respect. Even if they just do basic training, or sign up for the Home Guard or Civil Defense.

Last edited:
Plus, I think Mary and Marie have set good examples with their involvements in the defence and emergency services (sorry I forget the official names of the branches)

Plus, I think Mary and Marie have set good examples with their involvements in the defence and emergency services (sorry I forget the official names of the branches)

Army Home Guard and the Civil Defense.

Mary is captain a la suite.
Our Marie is first lieutenant a la suite.

It is a honorary involvement. Neither the Australian Mary nor the French Marie have had active military service, certainly not sufficient enough to reach the officer ranks of a Captain respectively a Lieutenant.

It is a honorary involvement. Neither the Australian Mary nor the French Marie have had active military service, certainly not sufficient enough to reach the officer ranks of a Captain respectively a Lieutenant.

So what.

They are involved, have been for a long time, and have done training and the courses they can.

"Australian" Mary has lived in Denmark for 18 years now, "French" Marie for some 13 (?) years.
Both consider Denmark their home. I think Mary said somewhere that she considers herself to be Danish of Australian descend. (Scottish - but that's my addition).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom