Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, News Part 2: July 2018 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was his subscription and him quitting the military also a private matter? Sounds as if they don't really know what to do with their highnesses (the non-royal ones).

Nope. The DRF's communications department is just a mess. It has been for as long as I've been paying attention to them but it seems they've really been struggling in the last couple of years and especially (although definitely not exclusively), as you say, regarding Joachim's family.

Interview (*) with Nikolai in Billed Bladet #35, 2019.
Written by Henrik Salling and Trine Larsen.

Nikolai celebrated his twentieth at his mother's house, with close friends and family.
"The day is to be celebrated quiet and peacefully (i.e. no fuss) and there will be BBQ'ed in the last good summer weather."

On a day to day basis Nikolai reportedly lives in an apartment at Amalienborg with his girlfriend Benedikte Thoustrup.

In connection with his B-day, new portraits were published, made by the photographer Steen Brogaard. And for once Felix is not there. There is no special reason for that. Felix simply couldn't be there when the session took place.

Right now Nikolai has started at Copenhagen Business School.
"I'm still toying with the idea of a foreign study. To take the fifth semester at a university abroad (here meaning far abroad, not Europe) would be a huge experience for me."

Nikolai speaks German, English and French.
He will have to make a living for himself.
He will not receive an apanage.
So what he will be up to is watched with interest by the press.
"In 5-10 years I will have finished my education and is placed in a job somewhere. Where? Time will tell.
Three wishes? That would be health, a good education and then garnishes with a bit of luck."

(*) This is not an interview as such. I suspect strongly that one of the BB reporters happened to meet Nikolai somewhere, whether by accident or not, and they chatted a bit.
I suspect it was Henrik Salling he met, because that reporter has covered both of Joachim's families for at least half of Nikolai's life and as such Nikolai know the reporter pretty well. Presumably well enough to accept being interviewed on the go, so to speak.
It's no secret that BB allocated specific reporters to specific members of the DRF and over the years build up a close professional relationship with each other. In the case with Trine Larsen and PH it evolved into a friendship.

Didn't know he spoke German.
Thanks Muhler for the translations

Muhler, you are awesome!

Nikolai and Felix are to watch for. It's lovely to see him answer very comfortably and straight to the point on this interview.

I never doubted this Prince to be very intelligent. May his relationsip with Benedikte Thoustrup last long. Which family is this girl from?

Muhler, you are awesome!

Nikolai and Felix are to watch for. It's lovely to see him answer very comfortably and straight to the point on this interview.

I never doubted this Prince to be very intelligent. May his relationsip with Benedikte Thoustrup last long. Which family is this girl from?

You are welcome. ?

She is the daughter of an affluent businessman from my part of the country actually, but I don't know much about the family though.
But I believe they must be respectable otherwise I think the relationship would have ended and there would have been no chance of her being allowed to move in at Amalienborg with Nikolai.

You are welcome. ?

She is the daughter of an affluent businessman from my part of the country actually, but I don't know much about the family though.
But I believe they must be respectable otherwise I think the relationship would have ended and there would have been no chance of her being allowed to move in at Amalienborg with Nikolai.

I also think so too and she looks gorgeous!❤️

In the case with Trine Larsen and PH it evolved into a friendship.

It's been quite moving hearing Trine talk about Prince Henrik in the BB podcast. It's evident that she cared a lot for him.

Link to a recent interview where Nikolai and Felix speak in English

I really had to laugh seeing two strong healthy young men under blankets in that carriage while their mother and the female reporter had no blanket at all...:lol::ermm::lol:
I even had to laugh more when they observed the deer in the park and Felix went back into the carriage, explaining "I´m cold!", crawling under his blanket again. I felt the reporter thought first he was joking - but he was serious...!
I really like the 2 Princes, I always did. But here I felt they behaved like two delicate little Princesses we know from a H.C Andersen´s fairy tale book.
We know for some time now, Nikolai is not the toughest of guys (which is great), more interested in art and culture (like his royal grandmother) - but I thought Felix was a bit more of a "butch bloke". I think that they both are obviously not is absolutely fine and I´m sure they are fantastic young men - just a bit surprised to see this.

Thank you. The whole video put me to tears. Those eye contacts with their mom was out of love and trust. They are wonderful boys both polite and well-mannered. The Countess did a great job raising them as a single mom.

yes, it is great. still I had some other questions I had asked them, if it bothers Nikolai, for instance, that some might be negative about his modelling as a Prince or how his grandmother reacted about his decision to model.
There were some odd seconds, I found, when it was about Felix being left alone at home, when his mother was abroad and his elder brother having moved out already. My impression was, but I might have completely misinterpreted the situation, that there was a little embarressing, pregnant pause when the reporter asked this. Alexandra then responded that, in that case, they would have often and regular telephone calls.

Not at all. These things are pretty much happening in our normal lives. I never expect them to live with maids and governesses or in large castles. The Countess is a working mother. Her sons are Princes, yes, but they are children of the second prince and now so far from the line of succession. Even just recently Joachim had to leave for France to work.

As for Nikolai, he needs to work since he won't be receiving an appanage. There is nothing wrong with being a 'model.' The Countess has taught them all valuable lessons in life and one of which is to never settle on your birthright.

On the occasion of Princess Ingrid Alexandra's recent confirmation, I would like to ask: were Nikolai and Felix already confirmed?

Last edited:
Well, Nikolai is still going steady with his girlfriend from Herlufsholm, Benedikte Thoustrup.
And as mentioned in a previous post, it has been reported that they have moved in together at Nikolai's flat at Amalienborg.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/alexandra-begejstret-for-nikolais-kaereste-en-del-af-familien
https://www.seoghoer.dk/kongelige/alexandra-om-nikolais-udkaarne-en-del-af-familien
The flat is not located in one of the four mansions but in one of the apartment buildings that constitute the Amalienborg complex. These flats are allocated mainly to employees of the court, where it is desirable to have a very affordable flat near Amalienborg. As well as retired employees, who again have a very affordable flat in the center of Copenhagen, in an area normally totally out of range for normal people! You know how expensive flats in inner cities are.
And others who for whatever reason are associated with the court - like Nikolai.

It has indeed been noticed that there has come a distinctive female touch to the flat, like neat curtains and a sea of plants and flower-pots.

Alexandra says about the relationship:
Jamen altså. Man kan bare blive så glad, når ens barn har det dejligt. Og vi som familie holder så meget af Benedikte, så det er dejligt at få en pige ind som en del af familien,

"Oh my. You are simply so glad when your child is happy. And we as a family are very fond of Benedikte, so it's nice to have a girl in as part of the family."

They have until recently lived apart because Benedikte studied at Sorbonne University in France, but now she is back in DK.
And now both he and Benedikte Copenhagen Business School.

Alexandra continues:
Det er næste fase i hans liv. Jeg følger med fra siden, og det er interessant at se, hvor skønt og dejlig og selvstændig en ung mand han er blevet. Han glæder sig til sit studie. Han er virkelig parat til at få mere viden ind, og han er kommet et godt sted han. Jeg er lykkelig for, at han har valgt at studere her i Danmark
"It's the next phase in his life. And I follow it from the side and it's interesting to see how lovely and nice and independent a young man he has become. He is looking forward to studying. He is really ready for acquiring more knowledge and he has come to a good place. I'm delighted that he has chosen to study here in Denmark."

But will Nikolai's modelling career continue, now that he is studying full time?
Alexandra:
Det kan du tro. Hvis der kommer noget stort, han har tid til vil fokusere på, så ja. Men det er ikke hans største prioritet. Så han kaster sig ikke ud i det. Det er bare, hvis der kommer noget eksklusivt. Så siger han ja,
"You bet. If something big is coming up that he has time to focus on, then yes. But it's not his biggest priority. So he won't throw himself into it. It's just that if there is something exclusive coming up. Then he'll say yes."

Benedikte's father, the businessman, Anders Thoustrup, has previosuly said about Nikolai: "
Han er gennemført sympatisk
"He is thoroughly likable."

I guess this belongs here: https://www.bt.dk/royale/alexandra-om-prins-nikolais-uddannelse-det-interesserer-ham-meget

It's Countess Alexandra talking to the press in connection with the Ecco Walkathon - together with Nikolai and Felix. Here she answered some questions, also about Nikolai having started at CBS.

She said: "It's a good place. CBS is super good and he has settled well and has met all the others.

Nikolai is studying Business Administration and Service Management.
"His study is something he has decided himself. It interest him very much. And he must decide for himself what he wants to do afterwards."

But while the family posed willingly and Alexandra readily answered questions, she interjected at once, when a journalist tried to ask the sons a question. - She claimed that was to spare them.

:previous:hmmm she doesn't let her 20 year old and 17 year old answer any questions, but poses galore with them.
Especially 20 year old Nikolai answering about his own education?

They have shown in the past quite capable to answer questions with a sentence or two, including in her own documentary :whistling:

to spare them? ?

Last edited by a moderator:
First in Shanghai and then Milan, busy modeling week for Nikolai.

Interesting that Nikolai was in Shanghai for modelling - Shanghai was the birthplace of his maternal grandfather IIRC.

In this article a royal expert, sends a broadside against Nikolai, or perhaps rather his mother!
I must admit the overall concerns he express are in the back of my mind as well.
https://www.bt.dk/kendte/ekspert-advarer-prins-nikolai-om-modeljob

As you know Nikolai has just started an education at CBS = Copenhagen Business School.
But he was also walking the catwalk on Tuesday 17th in China and Sunday the 22nd in Italy.

The expert, Søren Jacobsen, says:
"I do understand that he is captivated by interest for his person. But he has to think in the longer term and consider whether it's the right, good advise, he is getting from his mother.
Because his education is far more important than fashion-shows. He is only of interest to the fashion-world for a brief period, but his education will help him all his life."

Søren Jacobsen suggest that Alexandra supports her son's modelling career, because it's a world she finds interesting:
"I don't know whether she directly encourage him to do it. But in some way or another she benefits from there being a big interest in Nikolai and his looks. It's something she utilize/use herself as lecturer and author and her business has pretty much the shape of a fashion-show."

As you know Alexandra has given up her apanage recently and is instead earning a living as lecturer among other things, where she talks about her life, both as princess and countess.
Søren Jacobsen believe her role as style-icon and fashion-rolemodel is undeniable an allure for the audience. But Prince Nikolai should not try to fill out his mother's shoes:
"You do not have a long career as a model, so it's important for him to wind it down. It's only Helena Christensen (DK international model) who has maintained her status as supermodel for several decades. That has not happened for any men and it won't happen for Prince Nikolai either."

- Like I said above, I must admit that I have a nagging thought in the back of my mind, that Nikolai will give up his education at CBS in order to try to pursue a genuine career as model.
Like Søren Jacobsen, I believe that should he not take his education very seriously, it will be a big mistake in the long run.
And he does need to stay focused on his education, especially here in the beginning, where there is so much new to learn and new fellow-students to bond with. And if Nikolai is away a lot or not focused enough, they are not going to waste time being in a group with him. His status cannot compete with his fellow student's ambitions.
Even in the best circumstances, it takes a day to fly to China, a day to work on the catwalk and a day to fly back. That's three days gone in the very beginning of his education!
Okay, Italy isn't that far away, but he won't have been able to do much studying while going there and being down there.
Had he been my son, I would have been after him, telling him to focus on his education.

I've never been paid to walk the catwalk but the early days at university are very important and you would potentially miss out on a lot of important social and academic events if you take time out unnecessarily. I guess he's arranged things with the school and it probably helps that he's a prince.

However, especially as it's his 2nd attempt at higher education, I think he would be advised to stay put for a few months at least, but again it's easy for me to say. He might think being paid a lot of money to model is something he's more interested in right now.

:previous: I agree, the early months are very important!

And being away, basically for the better part of a whole week, isn't good IMO
Not least at this time of year, where people are dropping like flies from catching a bad cold. He can easily end up loosing two weeks in total before the end of October. And that's pretty bad, actually.

CBS don't care if Nikolai end up having difficulties keeping up or even drop out.
Nikolai is simply too far down the DRF hierarchy for it to influence their (very good) reputation. It would take someone like Christian or Isabella, before it would concern anyone at CBS IMO, and even then.

His fellow students won't care if Nikolai has problems keeping up. They signed up for CBS because they are dead serious about the education they have chosen. They may drop out for other reasons, but rarely because they are not serious about studying.

Working in groups is a very big thing in any Danish education, also very much at CBS and from the very beginning. And who want's to be in a group with someone who is considered less serious in regards to his education? Even if he is a Prince.

As for earning his own money. Well, both his parents are fully capable of supporting him financially if they choose.
And had he been my son, I would be perfectly willing to help out when when needed, as long as he stays focused on his education.
A part of the "charm" of getting an education is being "the poor student." Perhaps it's even healthy.
It won't endear Nikolai to most of his fellow students if he is rolling in money, while being less then serious about his studies.

So I agree with Heavs. Nikolai needs - has to - focus on his studies for the next months. And then, if he is doing fine, he can walk the catwalk a few times.

Last edited:
I do agree that it seems a bit "off" and whilst I do love the royals and generally don't mind that a portion of the family tax goes to them, I would be a bit disgruntled if I were a Danish tax payer (since I'm guessing that's how Nikolai's education is funded) if I heard this report, especially since it's his second time lucky. Nikolai isn't exactly short of money, so it's not like he has to pay for his own fees or support his family with his modelling job, and aside from his own personal enjoyment I don't see the need for him to be taking time off to travel to places like China for modelling particularly also given the fact that he's at a crucial time in terms of studying at university. I can sympathise with the reporter's point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom