Prince Joachim to Marry Marie Cavallier: October 3, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations to them! I'm sure Marie will turn out to be a great princess. It's just too bad that she and CP Mary looks a little alike and their names sounds alike too. I'm sure they will always be compared in the future..... :neutral:

But congratulations again to the couple!!! Can't wait for the wedding :wub:

I believe Joachim and Marie were not sure when they became engaged if queen and government would allow Joachim to stay a Royal prince and for his second wife to become a princess. I read it was only rather short before the council meeting that Margrete decided about it.

But if Margrete had decided against it, why should the future french wife of Count/Duke of Schakenborg have bothered about learning Danish as fast as possible when her husband himself is half-french? They sounded to me in their press conference as if they were both still surprised of this outcome, thus Marie said she is "honoured" and Joachim said it was not his choice to make about Marie becoming a princess or not.

So they had obviously only a very short time to plan and prepare their Royal future together, while they had quite some time to get used to the idea to become husband and wife at Schackenborg.

I have to say I'm not with you on your reasoning with this. They have supposedly been engaged for 2 months now. That seems to imply the Queen has had some time to think over things, despite what has been written/said. I also don't believe Joachim had any doubts or questions about his status if he married again. That is something he should have inquired about long ago. I really don't think there is any underlying meaning to Marie not learning Danish so she can speak it at the press conference. She is the 2nd wife of Joachim, she is not marrying a crown prince, and there is not an exact knowledge of what Marie's future royal duties will involve. So why try so hard to impress? That could have ended up back firing. It seems better for her to just be herself and let Denmark begin to get comfortable with her. Just my 2 cents!

Wow - gone three days and 15 pages of posts to read through!:ohmy:
Marie's press conference outfit - not the greatest but shows room for improvement, and when that happens she'll be stunning.
The engagement ring - very pretty, if somewhat untraditional. Not exactly a ring that could be worn every day.
I didn't realize Alexandra's parents lived on Joachim's estate, and remained there after the divorce. Awkward!
Someone mentioned Marie saying she wasn't planning on moving to Denmark until the wedding. I wonder if this means she'll have a french designed wedding dress. Chanel? Dior? Givenchy?
I personally hope that they go with a smaller wedding ceremony, and it'd be nice if they had it on Joachim's estate.

Chanel? Dior? Givenchy?

Oooo, I hope so! Dior all the way!!! But perhaps it would be deemed appropriate for a Danish designer to take charge of the bridal gown and bridesmaid's dresses.

But one wonders how infact the wedding shall proceed. It's Joachim's second, but Marie's first. Does this then mean that it shall be a relatively "small" affair or can we expect to see a gala or two? Being Marie's first (and hopefully last) wedding, surely she would like, and should be justly accorded, a degree of the pomp and ceremony that goes with.

Time will tell as it does with all things.

Last edited:
I suppose to would be appropriate to choose a Danish designer....but if she's choosing to stay in France until the wedding, that's alot of commuting to arrange a wedding, dress fittings, etc. It might be easier to go French. Even if they go with a "small" (by royal standards) family wedding, you'd still see the Greek RF and the Spanish RF. I picture something similar to Prince Edward's wedding to Sophie.

...Even if they go with a "small" (by royal standards) family wedding, you'd still see the Greek RF and the Spanish RF...

I agree that if the wedding was "small" we would see the Greek RF, but the Spanish? I'd say the Swedish and Norwegian before the Spanish definately. Are the DRF even closely related to the Spanish RF?

No.to my knowledge, the DRF are closly relatet to NRF, SRF, BRF and GRF and remotely related to the other europeen royal houses.

My bad. I was thinking the Spanish RF because of their relation to the Greek RF, who is related to the Danish RF. Tangled family tree. How is the DRF related to the NRF?

My bad. I was thinking the Spanish RF because of their relation to the Greek RF, who is related to the Danish RF. Tangled family tree. How is the DRF related to the NRF?

When Norway became independant from Sweden in 1905, King Frederik VIII of Denmark's second son Carl was made King Haakon VII of Norway by popular vote by the Norwegian people. So they are cousins. But besides that, the NRF and the DRF are great friends - Margrethe usually spends time in winter in Norway skiing with Sonja, and Frederik & Haakon are good friends and godparents to each others children :)

King Haralds granddad King, Haakon VII, was the son of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Louise of Denmark. He was Elected to the Norwegian throne after the dissolution of the union between Norway and Sweden in 1905.

King Harald is one of Prince Joachim's godparents. Sonja and Harald, at least, were present at his first wedding. I'm just not sure how close Joachim is with the younger generation, given that he had to stay home as regent during the two weddings in Norway.

[edited to remove information already answered in the above posts]

Last edited:
Who will get witness of the marriage?

I suppose that Joachim will choose his brother Frederik again to do this beautiful job.

i suspect my idea of a small wedding and a royal families idea of a small wedding are worlds apart. since it's marie first wedding imo it should be as big as she wishes and budget will allow (every woman deserves a wedding of her dreams (within reason:), so i hope the couple get to follow their own ideas not the courts. i would be surprised if frederik wasn't best man but it would be sweet if the boys were included too. i don't think M&F had much choice on a small intimate wedding but M&J do, it will be interesting to see how much pomp and frills there is this time. i hope at least a live feed so we can watch (i hope, i hope)

I agree that if the wedding was "small" we would see the Greek RF, but the Spanish? I'd say the Swedish and Norwegian before the Spanish definately. Are the DRF even closely related to the Spanish RF?

Queen Sofia was a princess of Greece and Denmark herself - a sister-in-law of Queen Anne-Marie, Margrete' s sister.
So Felipe as well as Joachim are first cousins of Pavlos, while Felipe and Joachim are more removed cousins. CP Felipe introduced Frederick and Joachim to Mary Donaldson because it was his party at the Slip Inn, where Australian acquaintances of Felipe brought Mary as guest with them.

well I think that Mary should appear in a photo with Mary, I think in this last photoshot it would have been nice to see Mary, Isabella and Christian and Ziggy of course along with all those lovely dogs!
Marie is a very simple girl, in this last photos she appears to be very simple but I think that will change very soon!

You know, I really thought Marie was the tackiest girl, but I watched the video a few times, and I kind of liked her! It will be interesting to see how she changes. I think Joachim is a very emotional man, and really falls hard for whoever he falls for (in love with love?). He too came across more favorably (likeably) in the video than in still photos.

well I think that Mary should appear in a photo with Mary, I think in this last photoshot it would have been nice to see Mary, Isabella and Christian and Ziggy of course along with all those lovely dogs!
.. well but then Mary, Isabella and Ziggy would have been in the spotlight and the photographers might have had their focus on the cute toddlers.
It was Marie's big day and so I think she and Joachim deserved to stay in the spotlight all alone on their big day (and the day after). ;)

Bioquinhas, don't worry. I also hope for a picture of Mary and Marie.. I guess we all do.. and I am sure we will get more then a lot pictures of the two women smiling into the cameras together..
The Family Christmasshoot, State Visits to Denmark of all kinds, the Family Sessions at Grasten Palace, official wedding photos, christening photos :rolleyes:..
we just need to wait for a while.

It must be nice for Prince Henrik to get a French daughter in law in the family.
I wonder if Mary speaks French

It must be nice for Prince Henrik to get a French daughter in law in the family.
I wonder if Mary speaks French

She taught in Paris for a bit before she moved to Denmark so maybe she speaks a smattering of french?

Perhaps Mary has since exercised an interest to learn a little French, but at the time of her wedding she would not have be noted as having learnt the language.

I think it's wonderful Marie is fluent in various tongue. I suspect Danish could be abit of a challenge for Marie, moreso than it has been for Mary.

Last edited:
I've read that English would be the most helpful to Marie out of all the languages she knows. Danish grammar and even some words are similar to English. It would have been best if she knew German since it seems to be the closest to Danish. However, I still think that being multilingual will be helpful to Marie. She's used to juggling more than one language and keeping all the rules and turns of phrases in her head.
Both Joachim and Marie have very beautiful voices. Although I must say that Joachim seems to have a bit more of a fluent grasp on English than Frederik.

How so? I must say, though, that his teeth look a lot better than they have in awhile. Has he stopped smoking?

I doubt he's quit smoking, I saw a pic of him with his son on his shoulders and a cigarette in his mouth. He must be a pretty heavier smoker if he has to smoke while playing with his son. I've also seen a recent pic of Marie smoking. I have no proof of this but...

I also liked his voice. I thought it was very elegant.

Joachim cuts quite the debonair image in a suit. He wears them so well. Lovely tailored finish, his kerchief, tie and shoes. This man know's how to dress to impress!

I doubt he's quit smoking, I saw a pic of him with his son on his shoulders and a cigarette in his mouth. He must be a pretty heavier smoker if he has to smoke while playing with his son. I've also seen a recent pic of Marie smoking. I have no proof of this but...

I also liked his voice. I thought it was very elegant.
I also think Joachim is still a smoker; in this piece of information at TV2's website - TV 2 Vip - Frederik: Mary bad mig stoppe - it is said that the queen, prince Henrik and Joachim still smoke.
The article is about how Frederik quit smoking; he told a DR reporter that he quit after 'positive pressure' from his wife to be who said she wanted him to be around for as long as possible - and consequently he gradually quit.

She is back in Geneve maybe for packing her things and finish her labour life there because soon she will be living in Denmarl for a long time!

Back
Top Bottom