Prince Joachim to Marry Marie Cavallier: October 3, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrautlations to the happy couple!! What wonderful news. I wish them all the happiness and best wishes!

He has done well to woo her lets hope he gets it right and can manage to behave himself this time. Good luck to her I think she may need it .... Marie looks nice I like her. The poor Queen I bet she has all toes and fingers crossed about this.... IMO.

I think that she should't said that "she didn't know Mary very well to say that she will help her", she should have said that she will hope Mary will help her and that she is certaintly do that! It gives us the ideia that they even not talk to each other yet! Very bad!

an AP via yahoo picture of Marie showing off her rind. I just love her smile.
Picture

Congrats to the couple! They both look very happy. Marie seems to get along very well with Nikolai and Felix which is great to see.

I think that she should't said that "she didn't know Mary very well to say that she will help her", she should have said that she will hope Mary will help her and that she is certaintly do that! It gives us the ideia that they even not talk to each other yet! Very bad!
Well, didn't she say: "I don't know her well enogh to answer that question?". I really belive it was that.

Marie looks lovely with a genuine sparkle. She did have her chin up in the air a bit during the interview, but I guess this was just nerves as she came across as very friendly in other photos/interviews. Mary had the same chin-up habit early on but thankfully that has now disappeared and she is back to her down-to-earth self.

Well, I hate to say this but it is not difficult to imagine that they will both be somehow 'fighting for attention'. They both seem to me very stylish and camera-loving. We should also take into account that Mary prompted into the monarchy in a moment in which Joachim and Alexandra were already having a marriage-crisis, thus the now Countess was not really sticking out in pictures or official appearances IMHO. I believe Mary will have some competition here, and that's not really bad ;)

Wow! This thread has grown fast. I was off in another forum and then I went back to the portal for this wonderful news. I knew any day now it would be announced. I'm happy for them! I also have to add that it has been fun watching them fall for each other. I remember the first few pics of them being spotted together and then over the months her slowly becoming more and more apart of his life.

Congrats to them!

Wow ! This comes as a surprise. I'm very very happy for the couple. I hope they will have a great life together :flowers:

Love the ring. So far, best royal engagement ring. And she looked great. she is really a very pretty girl.

Did anyone else notice that Joachim is very articulate in English and with a posh English accent? The accent seems quite different from Frederik's which is surprising considering they must have had the same tutors.

Marie looks lovely with a genuine sparkle. She did have her chin up in the air a bit during the interview, but I guess this was just nerves as she came across as very friendly in other photos/interviews. Mary had the same chin-up habit early on but thankfully that has now disappeared and she is back to her down-to-earth self.

UserDane, I love your measured tone and sense of protocol. Am actually curious whether you ever worked for the royal family. I guess we can't expect to know this but in any event, the royal family has a great representative/fan in you on this board.
Thank you elephantine :) - though I am afraid that a measured tone and sense of protocol sometimes fail me ;) No, I have never worked for the royal family (the closest I have been to a member of the DRF is when I was 10 and thrown off a horse in front of King Frederik's car in the woods around Lake Esrum;))

Re the chin up; I was actually thinking the same thing till I noticed that Marie - and probably Mary - did it when they were trying to communicate with reporters in some of the back rows. Sitting down you would have to hold your head the way Marie did to try to get eye contact.

I feel bad for Alexandra's parents - moving abroad will certainly mean they see less of their daughter and their grandchildren.

Maybe this marriage will be happier for him due to Marie's age and French background! She seems like she will be a supporting stepmother, which in my opinion is quite important. As far as the rest, she will learn how to be a Princess with the help of her new husband and family!

Is it me or is it a bit disconcerting that she looks so much like Princess Mary?

Here is a video summary of the press conference:

Prins Joachim har præsenteret sin forlovede - dr.dk/NETTV/Update

Marie said that she is relieved that the public now knows about the engagement and that the press won't be asking the same questions to her anymore.
She feels happy and very honored. She also said that she hopes that she can live up to the expectations. "We are all different and can do many great things for the country. But I don't think we need to be compared all the time."

what tiara will she be given for her marriage? will they buy her a new one or one from the vaults?

did they say they wanted a private wedding - does that mean then it will have no other royals apart from family (i think it would be better this way as Jochim has already had the huge wedding with all the princes and princesses from the world) maybe if it is a private wedding then it will be hats rather than evening gowns??

pity princess isabella is too young to be a flower girl but they could always have christian as the ring bearer!!!

would their children be styled the same way joachim and alexandra's kids are ie: as HH rather than HRH??

Yes, the resemblance is there. But I hope the media doesn't dwell on it. They currently have different styles and are at different places in their lives. However, I can't help but wonder if there will be a conscience effort to not be styled the same and such. I really hope that Marie is thought of as an asset to the Danish RF and not as Mary's competition, that would be a pity.

Now for my annoyance, they have been engaged for a couple months now(according to DRW's site). I really dislike it when RF's keep things like this to themselves. Like they are waiting for the perfect timing to happen. It just seems so calculated! But at the same time in this instance since it is a second marriage maybe it is better for the sake of others that it was kept a secret. However, still a little annoying to me that it was kept quiet.

I missed this part of the conference. I heard someone was going to move out of Schackenborg where Joachim lives. Who is going to be leaving?

I missed this part of the conference. I heard someone was going to move out of Schackenborg where Joachim lives. Who is going to be leaving?

Alexandra`s parents are moving out of Schackenborg.

I don't want to compare anayone, but in this picture she looks exactly like Mary, It is amazimg her resamble to her.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff80/aliyah_85/captd6b004075e1c46d7b20fb61939b0806.jpg

OMG, she has so much from Mary.... i hope the stay friendly to each other. I don´t know why, but i think there will be a fight.

Alexandra`s parents are moving out of Schackenborg.

WHAT???

Joachim lived there with Alexandra´s parents???

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to compare anayone, but in this picture she looks exactly like Mary, It is amazimg her resamble to her.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff80/aliyah_85/captd6b004075e1c46d7b20fb61939b0806.jpg

The thing is that I didn't find them to be so closely resembling each other, but when I saw the video I thought this could have been Mary.

But then, why not? Brothers have been known to marry twins, it's not that uncommon. And if you ever met twins you'll know how different the most look-alike twins can be when it comes to character and likings.

OMG, she has so much from Mary.... i hope the stay friendly to each other. I don´t know why, but i think there will be a fight.

why does everyone keep saying that? they look alike but their backgrounds could not be more different. they will bring a very different style to their different roles.

when Mabel and Friso got engaged (and before all the scandals burst loose) I dont recall people saying that Maxima and Mabel would be competing with each other. why is this situation any different?

The skin tones of these two ladies is completely different. I think both ladies had the same stylist on their individual day to announce their engagement. As the makeup and hair is similar for both. And yes they both have similar colored hair. However, overall I don't think there is that strong of a resemblance to one another. I suppose one could look at a pic of the Dutch princesses(on the Van Vollenhoven side) and think the same based on the fact that they have similar style and are all brunettes.

To me the only similarity is today with the overall style. Mary and Marie upon engagement day have been styled similarly. Comparing Mary's current look to Marie's current look at the moment is compeltely different, imo.

Last edited:
I don´t know why, but i think there will be a fight.
Perhaps you think that way because it's what German media writes.:flowers:
I don't know how their relationship will be
but one thing I know is the media is going to write about fights anyhow.:lol:

I completely agree with you, ricarda!
The tabloids would write anything to increase their sales...:bang:

Tan said:
I don´t know why, but i think there will be a fight.
Why should they fight?
There's no reason...

I hope Marie will manage to create her own image without being compared with Princess Mary again and again.
I hope people will give her a chance to find her place and position in Denmark's Royal family. :flowers:

why does everyone keep saying that? they look alike but their backgrounds could not be more different. they will bring a very different style to their different roles.

when Mabel and Friso got engaged (and before all the scandals burst loose) I dont recall people saying that Maxima and Mabel would be competing with each other. why is this situation any different?

Maxima an Mabel - really?

I think they look almost the same. I don´t think that Marie have a problem with that. I rather think Mary will have a problem. She was for a long time the only one and know there is somebody who in a good position by the people, is a lookalike and have great style.

And of course they have diffrend backrounds... France and Australia....that´s an opposite.

Now for my annoyance, they have been engaged for a couple months now(according to DRW's site). I really dislike it when RF's keep things like this to themselves. Like they are waiting for the perfect timing to happen. It just seems so calculated! But at the same time in this instance since it is a second marriage maybe it is better for the sake of others that it was kept a secret. However, still a little annoying to me that it was kept quiet.

I disagree at all. Nothing calculated or contrived about the timing of the announcement - except perhaps coordinating schedules. Don't you think that the couple needs some time to share the fantastic news with their friends and family? Plus, there are logistics to be worked out. like getting the Council of State together for this day, coordinating everyone's schedules, etc.

Perhaps you think that way because it's what German media writes.:flowers:

I never belive german media....

When i would belive what they say, Maxima would expect twins in March :lol::lol::lol:

I'm a little curious about something from our fellow Danish posters. Is it at all a little annoying that Fred nor Joachim has chosen a Danish bride? It is soon to be that 3 foreign brides have married into this royal family in recent years. However, then again Henrik was from France as well. So possibly it isn't a big deal! Seems like it would be a topic of conversation for the press at least.

I disagree at all. Nothing calculated or contrived about the timing of the announcement - except perhaps coordinating schedules. Don't you think that the couple needs some time to share the fantastic news with their friends and family? Plus, there are logistics to be worked out. like getting the Council of State together for this day, coordinating everyone's schedules, etc.

Well if you took time to read my entire post despite saying it is a personal annoyance of mine, which it is. In my post I definitely provided for the fact that this situation is different. There are more people involved and affected by this engagement. So even though it is annoying that it has been kept quiet for a couple of months I still understand that there is some other reasoning behind things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it matter? It's a happy day, let's not spoil it. There's enough bad news in the world already.

Back
Top Bottom