Prince Joachim to Marry Marie Cavallier: October 3, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think they look almost the same. I don´t think that Marie have a problem with that. I rather think Mary will have a problem. She was for a long time the only one and know there is somebody who in a good position by the people, is a lookalike and have great style.
Mary never was the only one. Alexandra was there before her and the only one for a long time. Mary was compared with Alexandra from the beginning and Marie will be compared with Alexandra and Mary. That's just how things are.

IMO Marie at the moment is seen as a nice girl who makes Joachim happy and the media seems quite fond of her, but she doesn't have Mary's popularity yet nor will she ever have Mary's position. But I think with her charming personality she has the potential to be at least as popular as Alexandra and Mary are.

Does it matter? It's a happy day, let's not spoil it. There's enough bad news in the world already.

I certainly hope you are not talking to me. I am not trying to spoil anything. Look at my previous posts today if you don't believe me. But I have a right to respond back when I feel my post was not completely understood. Which is what I feel happened.

How great! This is exciting news! Congratulations to the happy couple!

I certainly hope you are not talking to me. I am not trying to spoil anything. Look at my previous posts today if you don't believe me. But I have a right to respond back when I feel my post was not completely understood. Which is what I feel happened.

Nope, I wasn't talking to you. Just a general comment on the inevitable descent into issues of dislike which seems to be the gist of any DRF topic these days. It does make me giggle; the Alexandra haters become the Mary haters who become the Marie haters. I was just suggesting that with war, terrorism, taxes and polyester we might all stay cheerful and free of judgement and dislike. Which you were doing. So thumbs up.

I'm a little curious about something from our fellow Danish posters. Is it at all a little annoying that Fred nor Joachim has chosen a Danish bride? It is soon to be that 3 foreign brides have married into this royal family in recent years. However, then again Henrik was from France as well. So possibly it isn't a big deal! Seems like it would be a topic of conversation for the press at least.

perhaps a dane will correct me if i'm wrong but i believe i read its the danish royal family tradition to marry someone not from denmark. i'll never understand the "princess competition" it's like me having to choose between strawberries or chocolate, i like them both for their own special qualities, some the same some very different.

Nope, I wasn't talking to you. Just a general comment on the inevitable descent into issues of dislike which seems to be the gist of any DRF topic these days. It does make me giggle; the Alexandra haters become the Mary haters who become the Marie haters. .
Indeed...
I just hope the whole "My Princess is better then your Princess" thing won't come up again...
Reading through this thread I already got the feeling there's created a kind of Mary vs. Marie competition.
I just hope this won't get worse..(like the whole Mary vs. Letizia Story...all this comparisons)

Indeed...
I just hope the whole "My Princess is better then your Princess" thing won't come up again...
Reading through this thread I already got the feeling there's created a kind of Mary vs. Marie competition.
I just hope this won't get worse..(like the whole Mary vs. Letizia Story...all this comparisons)

It will alway be princess vs. princess competition, this is how it works. People have diffrent taste and that´s good. Everyone think that his one is better than the other one. That´s normal. This competition will never end.

WOW! Congrats to the happy and clearly in love couple! So happy for them!
They both looked great! I just wish I could hear the interview...darn!

It will alway be princess vs. princess competition, this is how it works. People have diffrent taste and that´s good. Everyone think that his one is better than the other one. That´s normal. This competition will never end.

i think you're right. it will never end. and comparing is a big part of the way we humans process information.

Congratulations to the couple, even though they don´t belong to my favourites. The official pictures are somehow odd, they don´t have a feeling at all, even the kissing pictures are strange and so posed. Marie seems to me a very tough lady, maybe she will began to compete with Mary.

How old is Marie?

I can´t find it...

Love those official engagement portraits. They can be found here:
kongehuset.dk

I wish them all the best. Do you think that the marriage will be broadcasted in Europe?

Having seen mostz of the press conference now and understood most of it even though there was a Danish commentator squieking in my ears I think I kind of like the way they managed that interview.

It seemed to me that both are very carefuly in saying anything about their future together. She said that she will be a housewife for Joachim at Schakenborg at first but that they don't know what else, they want kids but don't know yet if and when, she does not know yet where her position as a princess of the Royal House will be exactly. IMHO they were very careful not to invite any comparisons, comments or critizism.

When Joachim was asked how he feels now when he presents the second time a beloved fiancee, he stalled a bit IMHO by saying it felt like a totally new experience. And the part about when they met and love at first sight sounded rehearsed to me. Well rehearsed but not properly delivered. They said they met as early as 2002 on a private hunting party in Denmark but only came to love each other from spring (or was it autumn?) 2005, with feelings which got more and more "profound". Well, what could they have said otherwise? Jaochim and Alexandra have managed to keep all speculations about the real resons for their divorce to themselves and for Joachim to say something other then what he said would mean to open up all kinds of cans of worms. Especially as there are his sons involved.

Okay, I personally may speculate that Joachim's and Alexandra's marriage went sour at some point, maybe even due to the appearance of Martin or Marie or both, but it does't make sense as we won't get more than what Joachim said.

As for Marie's name: Marie's name in Danish really sounds totally different from Mary - this is pronounced much like the English version, while Marie sounds like "Muri-ye" (the "a" like the "u" in bus and the "ye" like the beginning of yes).

BTW - noone can still say that Marie cannot be discreet and blabbs all the time to the media - she is engaged to be married since last summer and never said a word! But she was relieved these questions are now over...

Last edited:
But she gave the press a hint recently, didn't she? She said a word.
I actually don't think discretion towards the press is her strong point (perhaps the reason why they are quite fond of her). :)
Well, as long as she doesn't make a spectacle of herself in the British tradition...

Last edited:
Great news, congratulations to the couple!!!

But she gave the press a hint recently, didn't she? She said a word.
I actually don't think discretion towards the press is her strong point (perhaps the reason why they are quite fond of her). :)
Well, as long as she doesn't make a spectacle of herself in the British tradition...

ok, she's said "i love joachim. he's so wonderful" to the press a few times when they followed her around. is that really so bad? does that make her "indiscrete"?

she's never said anything remotely controversial over these past 2 years. i think that shows tremendous discretion. she is doing a much better job than some people who were born royal.

Horribe suit! She needs to make a extreme makeover to look like a Princess. White outfit with black shoes!! She will change for sure!

Marie will be quite beautiful in a couple of years. Just look at Mary's transformation!

Great News! I am sure Marie will be a beautiful bride. Joachim looks so happy!

Haha, this is so funny. I don't want to say names, but it looks like some Mary Fans see danger in Marie. they spread the image of evil Marie .rrrrrrrrrr:D:D

ok...everyone has an own opinion about Marie. I think it is nice to see Joachim happy and we will see what she's worth. ;)

Last edited:
I'm gonna be so confused. Mary/Marie and they both have similar bone structure and hair. I guess Marie is the tanner one. Personally, I didn't like the engagement ring. Too big and chunky.

Anyone notice that Alexandra, Mary, and Marie all got engaged to their princes at age 31? Just something I noticed.

Here is a video summary of the press conference:

Prins Joachim har præsenteret sin forlovede - dr.dk/NETTV/Update

Marie said that she is relieved that the public now knows about the engagement and that the press won't be asking the same questions to her anymore.
She feels happy and very honored. She also said that she hopes that she can live up to the expectations. "We are all different and can do many great things for the country. But I don't think we need to be compared all the time."
She was talking about who?

ok, she's said "i love joachim. he's so wonderful" to the press a few times when they followed her around. is that really so bad? does that make her "indiscrete"?

she's never said anything remotely controversial over these past 2 years. i think that shows tremendous discretion. she is doing a much better job than some people who were born royal.
She did and said a bit more than that, especially in the beginning.
I don't think anything she said was controversial or bad (and I didn't say anything like that)
but I certainly don't think she showed tremendous discretion either.
But I don't blame her for that as much as others have done.

Last edited:
She did a bit more than that.
I don't think anything she said was controversial or bad (and I didn't say anything like that)
but I certainly don't think she showed tremendous discretion either.
But I don't blame her for that as much as others have done.

what did she say or do that showed a lack of discretion?

I don't think that it's necessary for us to make comparisons between Mary and Marie. Marie will grow into whatever sort of a princess the Queen, Joachim and she decide that she will be.

And I'm not too keen on the ring. It looks like the birthstone rings mothers in the U.S. get, with all the birthstones of their children and grandchildren -- just much bigger.

Back
Top Bottom