Prince Joachim, Current Events Part 3: June 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, is it reasonable to think that this was the plan all along? That he took the course as a stepping stone to becoming a military attache in Paris?

I find that very reasonable.

You have to be invited to attend this course and to me it seems odd if President Macron suddenly extended an invitation to this course out of the blue.
There must have been a wish for a high ranking Danish officer to attend this course and thereby serve as some kind of in-depth liaison between DK and France.
A wish that was no doubt shared by Denmark, given the long military co-operation between the two countries.
Whether that invitation was general or specifically aimed at Joachim is of course open for debate.

- Personally I find it very plausible that Joachim was the top-contender and that France had been quietly told that DK has a fitting candidate, I.e. Joachim. So that France could extend an invitation at the appropriate moment.

Personally I also believe that Joachim for some time, perhaps since the sale of Schackenborg, has been looking for a permanent job outside the DRF. (*)
Of course it takes time to figure out what to do next. He was after all supposed to be the owner of a manor for life, while doing royal duties inbetween.
Then he has to prove his competence. He worked in a job in the Defense Command. And then a suitable job would have had to be found for him.

So my theory is that the job as a defense attache was found to be perfect for Joachim - and his family.
Okay, the previous defense attache has had to finish his tour of duty (usually three years) and Joachim would need to be up-qualified. So France would quietly have been approached: We have just the right candidate.
Of course France is not interested in an incompetent candidate, so an invitation to attend an advanced staff course was extended.

As mentioned before, normally defense attaches rotate every three years, but since France has invested a course in Joachim and Joachim is fond of France, has small children and is married to a woman with a French background it seems reasonable to expect that Joachim will apply for an extension of that period.
So he may very well serve for six years. And then perhaps take on a position in the NATO HQ or return to DK for a job in say the Defense Academy.
He could also become a liaison officer at the French Defense Command or something similar.
- There are a number of options ensuring that Joachim can remain in France if everything works out satisfactorily for all parties.

Prince Georg, the cousin to Frederik IX, was a defense attache in London for several periods.

So in three, five or six years from now, I find it very likely that it will be announced that Joachim will renounce his apanage and retire as a working member of the DRF.
It may also be announced that Joachim's younger children will renounce their royal titles and become Count of Montpezat. It's up to the monarch to decide whether Athena can have a title as well, but I think that can easily be arranged. Say a non-hereditary title of countess of Schackenborg or Marselisborg. (**)

(*) What we in DK call a "retrætejob" i.e. stepping back job, where you are ensured a nice cozy permanent employment until retirement.

(**) I understand hereditary titles of counts can traditionally only be bestowed through the male line, while females can only have a personal title. Just like Countess Alexandra.
Countess of Marselisborg would be neat, because the manor is the personal property of the DRF (the Monarch) and in that way Isabella and Josephine can have titles as well.

ADDED: The Minister for Defense has said that the Defense Ministry approached Joachim for this job, because he was the best qualified. - Whether Joachim knew he would be approached is of course another question.
The vacant position was also made public. - it has to, even if the right candidate has already been chosen.

Last edited:
I have since the news came in DK said that Prince Joachim will be his generations Princess Elisabeth. He will stay in line for the throne, but he (and his family) will live a pretty private life.

Surprise but not a huge one to hear of the new position and move. :flowers:

Honestly it seems the best way to deal with younger children of a monarch. You don't need too many full time royals. Even in the UK. Anyone other then the heir and their children are easily treated as part time royals. Encouraged to have a job and private life outside of the royal spectrum. And take one some royal duties and patronages on the side. The Dutch seem to have handled that well so far and others can take note.

I think there are two ways. Either you give them total freedom. There are no restrictions on the kind of work they take on and where they live. And in return they live off their own private funds with no government funding. The exception perhaps being in compensation for travel/expense for any royal duties they take on time to time.

Or there is a limited pool of royal approved jobs they take like military, which limit their earning potential. And in return for also doing part time royal duties, they receive some appanage/compensation for doing so.

Joachim and Marie its the second option. He continues serving Denmark in this role, and is a part time royal, and will continue to receive his appanage.

Perfect timing now that his older sons are adults and he doesn't have to be concerned about shared custody with Alexandra. They only have to worry about their younger two kids. And those two have already had a chance to get comfortable in French schools this past year.

:previous: True.

There has of course been criticism of Joachim getting an apanage while working in France, but that's to be expected.
There has also been some criticism of Joachim getting favorable treatment in regards to his new job. Which IMO is no doubt true to some extent, but on the other hand he has been groomed and trained for this particular role and his background makes him very suited.

Apart from that, people have other things on their minds right now.

But with J&M out of the way, F&M will be open to more criticism regarding their workload and what they do, now that the "dislikable brother" is out of the way.

Like any god soap there has to be a favorite villain. The DRF is short of one now.

Happy for Joachim; I assume it was an inspiring year for him and very different from the years of royal service he had behind him.

But apparently they assume Covid-19 is not among them given how close they stand to one another... Even though it was closely outline whom was supposed to stand where (see the line in front of Joachim when he stepped forward.

:previous: Yeah. Don't know the rules in France though.

I read an interesting comment by an editor of a magazine dealing with military issues. The editor is respected because he is also critical of the military and decisions, purchase of equipment and so on.

To him it made sense to send Joachim to France, and also having two attaches in France.
Partly because Joachim is royal. (And brigadier and as such at times will need an adjutant at hand.) But also political. Being a Defense Attache is political. Analysis, recommendations, contacts and so, must of it will be more or less political. And there is very strict rule about the DRF being politically neutral.
So I imagine there may be reports that are written in the name of the assistant, or that the assistant lend credence to the notion than Joachim is politically neutral, because he has an advisor.
But the most important thing is the quiet, but significant change in Danish defense policy. - From a very close co-operation with in particular Britain and USA - to a more EU-based policy.
After the Trump administration and President Trumps (IMO justified) criticism of most of the NATO members, it is simply too risky for DK to rely only on USA. Especially as Britain is now moving away from EU and presumably even closer towards USA.
That is the reason why DK has quietly attached itself to France, which is the military fist of EU.
Germany being the economic arm of the EU, France being the military and security political arm of EU.
The only other place where DK has two defense attaches is in USA.

So what I see before me is that Joachim has has the indepth knowledge of France as well as the political pondus as well as status and connections. While the assistant has experience.
So there were five applicants to this position, but one of them may very well end up in Paris anyway.

It will be interesting to read further articles on this matter - and also in what regard DK will increase the military co-operation with France. Because if President Trump is re-elected, or someone who has an equal critical view of NATO becomes elected - then you don't need a crystal ball to predict a very increased military co-operation within EU in particular.

The court has confirmed that Joachim will start his job as Defense Attache sometime during September.

"After advise from the doctors the Prince will start in a quiet and calm manner - including working from home, which is in accordance with the general way work is conducted in Paris as a result of Covid-19.
Prince Joachim's health continuous to improve and looks forward to, during September, to start in his new function as defense attache."

https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-joachim-udskyder-job

ADDED:

BB is more specific: According to them the court (quote) clearly says that Joachim aims to start working in mid September.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/nyt-fra-kongehuset-saadan-har-prins-joachim-det-nu

Last edited:
That is great to hear that his recovery is going well and he'll be back at his job soon.

That's sooner than I expected, so good to hear that the doctors consider him fit for (some) work.

The Ministry of Defense has stated that Joachim's assistant will take over as temporary Defense Attache, until Joachim has recovered sufficiently to be able to work full time again.

Hmm, the Court sounds a bit more optimistic than the Ministry of Defense.

If I try to combine both, it seems that Joachim will start working on a therapeutic basis from Mid-September while his assistant takes up his role until he is fully fit for work again. That might create some tensions along the way - especially if his assistant is doing a great job.

Well, unfortunately that's life.

If your replacement is better than you, you will end up being replaced.

And should Joachim's assistant really be better than Joachim, then I guess they will only stay in Paris for three years, while the assistant gains valuable experience and presumably will be appointed the next defense attache.

- That to me would be the most logic approach.

And speaking of assistant. Provided Joachim is fine and well suited, he is likely to stay in Paris for perhaps five years.
In which case I believe he will see at least two assistants.

I guess the assistant(s) will have a rank of major or lieutenant colonel.
Being an assistant to a defense attache to a major partner (France) is valuable experience. After say two years, the assistant will likely be promoted and perhaps stationed in connection with DK/French HQ, before perhaps returning to Paris to relieve Joachim in five years.
To again being relieved by Joachim next assistant.
- It would, I think, be a logic way to do it.

I was more thinking along the lines that Joachim will still take up the position but it's harder to be someone's assistant if you yourself have done a better job.

But indeed, if the assistant proofs to be a good fit, s/he might be the next attache in a few years.

Very nice to see Prince Joachim is looking so well . He recovered fast. He must be happy to start his first day at work. I wish him the best.

At a small ceremony at the Danish Embassy in Paris yesterday, Prince Joachim was formally appointed Brigadier General when Ambassador Michael Starbæk Christensen presented the Prince with the employment document.⁣

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFb0KKrg5zG/

Prince Joachim was appointed Brigadier General upon his employment.....but of what service branch, (Army, AF, Navy, all of them)? Also of what country? Would the Prince retain this promotion if he should return to his native country?

Thank you everyone.

Prince Joachim was appointed Brigadier General upon his employment.....but of what service branch, (Army, AF, Navy, all of them)? Also of what country? Would the Prince retain this promotion if he should return to his native country?

Thank you everyone.

Joachim is now a brigadier (one star general) in the Danish army.
Unless demoted for some serious scandal or suddenly resigning from the army, he will keep that rank upon returning to DK.
In fact it is more than likely that he will be promoted to major general after his three or five year posting in Paris.

Joachim is in contrast to Frederik only affiliated with one branch of the military.
Frederik who is destined to be commander-in-chief holds the same rank in all three branches:
Major general in the army and airforce. (Two stars.)
And rear admiral in the navy.

If QMII stays on the throne Frederik can expect to be promoted to lieutenant general/vice-admiral in about five years or so.
- And upon becoming king he will advance to full general and full admiral.

The defense mission in France today had the honor of welcoming General Cousin of the Air Defense and Air Operations Command (CDAOA) to discuss his mission, in particular his role as the sky police

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Evj3GUsXUAAMsDg?format=jpg&name=large

Prince Joachim and his colleagues today participated in a meeting with Minister Trine Bramsen regarding the development of a new defense industrial strategy. Important work for the benefit of the industry.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EvE_D3_XMAMDWje?format=jpg&name=large

Last edited:
Thanks, Eya.

Notice that Joachim and his assistant both wear the cord of attaches.
It's not worn on a day to day basis, but when wearing the dress uniform it is.

The attire of the French general is more relaxed I see.

Today, May 5, Prince Joachim attended a meeting in Paris hosted by the French National Office for Veterans and War Victims to "discuss France’s approach to veterans":

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Last edited:
That plant produce the very versatile Fennec helicopters used by DK.

They are mainly observation helicopters and very fast. In that capacity they were very popular with the British forces around Basra in Iraq, as these helicopters provided convoy security for both Danish and British forces.
Flying fast and low they would sometimes surprise insurgents trying to place IED's aimed at the convoy that was coming. They would also report suspicious behavior, like a street suddenly being cleared.
IIRC the British requested the helicopters remain when the Danish forces were deployed out of the Basra area. And they did remain for a period afterwards.

Prince Joachim make some visits in Denmark:

"What time passes ...! I can still feel his hand in mine when I accompanied him to school the very first day 13 years ago .⁣ Now he's a student! Congratulations to him and all this year's new students ���� You all deserve a good holiday ".

"In addition to celebrating Felix, I currently have a number of meetings within my work as a defense attaché. I have, among other things visited the Defense Academy (FAK) and the Defense and Aerospace Industry under Danish Industry.⁣ In fact, I have not been to Copenhagen since November, so it's nice to feel the summer, student and football atmosphere in the city! ⁣"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQfej68gRut/

Last edited:
I love the words he described his feelings about Felix.

Loving the emojis :D

I generally just love when Joachim posts to the DRF Instagram account. I generally think he (and Marie) would really benefit from having his own account – similar to Carl Philip and Sofia in Sweden – where he's more free to post updates on his work and his life in Paris. I know I'd follow him (them).

Back
Top Bottom