Prince Joachim, Current Events Part 3: June 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joachim has been using reading glasses for many year. Way back when he was happily married to Alexandra, if not before.

It will be interesting to see if some sort of co-operation will come out of this between DK and France.

:previous: There is a little twist to that one. These Danish soldiers died during WWI fighting for Germany.

After the disastrous Second Schleswigan War in 1864, the duchies of Schleswig and Holstein, were ceded to what a few years later became a unified Germany.
That included a couple of hundred thousand ethnic Danes.
While Holstein was and is German, Schleswig, especially northern Schlesvig (what is today southern Jutland) was dominated by ethnic Danes who were now German citizens.
There was a hope that Schleswig or at least northern Schleswig would somehow be returned to Denmark or that the Danish minority would somehow gain autonomy within Germany. How realistic that hope was is difficult to say. It was IMO at best optimistic.
Anyway, being German citizens also included conscription to the German military - just as ethnic French from Alsace and Lorraine were supposed to.

WWI started and Germany mobilized and that included the ethnic Danes. There was some internal debate as to whether they should do their duty as German citizens and stand a better chance of reunification with Germany after the war or at least gain more political influence - or whether they should refuse and/or defect to Denmark.
It was generally decided to serve in German uniform (Many had also given up any hope of being unified with Denmark and others had become genuine German citizens.) So some 8.000 ethnic Danes served in the German military during WWI, of which some 3.500 were killed.
79 of those are today buried at the cemetery at Braine.

After the war DK was urged by the Allies to reclaim both Schleswig and Holstein - of course amputating Germany even more.
The Danish government declined. Denmark would have ended up with about a million ethnic Germans - a very sizable minority! And there would no doubt be a lot of trouble had DK annexed both duchies. - In fact that decision probably saved northern Schleswig from being annexed back into Germany during WWII.
The solution was a referendum. People in Schleswig would simply vote on which country they wised to belong to. And as there was a majority of ethnic Danes in northern Schleswig, that went to Denmark. While southern Schleswig remained in Germany. - Of course on both sides of the border there are today German and Danish minorities. About 50.000 on each side IIRC.

Ironically the idea of a referendum was suggested around the time of the Schleswigan Wars, but the nationalists in Denmark wouldn't have it.
Had the referendum taken place back in the mid 1800s the border between DK and Germany would have been drawn almost exactly as it is today, apart from the German town of Flensburg having become Danish.
- Lives would have been spared and Denmark would not have suffered a national trauma that lasted some 130 years.

Yesterday, January 25, Prince Joachim attended a meeting in Paris with representatives of Aalborg University about the university's cooperation with the French Defence Industry:

** Pic **

Which is quite relevant.
DK is right now busy buying weapons with both hands, not least French weapons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, March 14, Prince Joachim attended a meeting between "Danish company Aquarden and ArianeGroup who work together on Green Remediation (SCWO) for the defence and space sectors":

** Pic **

An interesting cooperation no doubt, but I must confess that the first thought through my mind was that Joachim doesn't know how to dress casual.
It's simply not natural to him.

Reintroduce the tie, Joachim. And the double-breasted suits. And do comb your hair, Jokke.
There are plenty of casually dressed royal males out there - read: terribly dressed - no need to join their ranks.

An interesting cooperation no doubt, but I must confess that the first thought through my mind was that Joachim doesn't know how to dress casual.
It's simply not natural to him.

Reintroduce the tie, Joachim. And the double-breasted suits. And do comb your hair, Jokke.
There are plenty of casually dressed royal males out there - read: terribly dressed - no need to join their ranks.

I thought the same thing when I saw the picture. The shirt hanging out, the worn out pants, the hair -- it looks like they woke him up from a nap for the meeting.

Prince Joachim at a meeting with representatives of GICAN, the French Marine Industry Group, today, March 24:

** Pic **

:previous:Thanks.

DK has a number of ship designs, software and sensor systems that are of interest to France and the Danish ships routinely operate in French lead squadrons.
DK might be interested in purchasing a couple of submarines if we decided a reacquire submarines again.

Yesterday, Match 29, Prince Joachim presented a „badge of honor for good service in the Air Force over 25 years“:

** Pic **

April 13th - Prince Joachim has been on a business promotion in Berlin along with 50 Danish and German companies regarding initiatives focusing on strengthening Danish and German cooperation. Prince Joachim opened the business promotion with a speech in his capacity as defense attaché.

Some lovely photos of Prince Joachim from the events of the day.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cq_AimFN6RB/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited:
Yes, we are going to buy a heck of a lot of German weapons and equipment in the years to come.

And Germany will be rearming big time, as well as producing and exporting huge amounts of weapons as well. Not least if the Leopard II does perform as expected in Ukraine.

DK has a considerable sub-contractor industry and we are of course more than willing to also supply components, parts, software etc to Germany - hence why Joachim is there today.

Prince Joachim attended the annual ceremony for the fallen American soldiers on Utah Beach and in the international ceremony at the British monument:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

What is the white shirt uniform the Prince is wearing? Thanks

What is the white shirt uniform the Prince is wearing? Thanks

Well, in the first photo Joachim is wearing the dress uniform of a general in the army.
In the other two photos he has - quite unusually - dropped his jacket.
- That's something you do on a hot day back in the office or when walking around in the barracks. Otherwise you (should) always wear your jacket.

But then Joachim is a general, and other rules applies to generals.
Brigadier = God asks me for advise, daily.
Major general = I'm God's chief advisor.
Lieutenant general = I inspect Jesus and the archangels each morning on the parade ground, before handing over command to God.
General = God thank me each night in his evening prayer.
Generaloberst (five star general) = I am God.

"Denmark has now been handed over the first ten F-35 aircraft. Six of the planes will stay in the USA, where they will be used for training new Danish pilots. But now four new aircraft are on their way to Danish soil and their new home at the state-of-the-art F-35 Campus at Skrydstrup Airport."

Joachim was present
https://www.instagram.com/p/CxIAYiBNcVI/?img_index=1

Yes, they will arrive tomorrow but the official welcoming ceremony will take place on 1st October.

Perhaps in case there was a delay.
I think it's a reasonable safe bet to say that either Frederik or QMII will be there as well.

"HRH Prince Joachim on "Uniform on the job day"

Wednesday 27 September 2023 is Denmark's first Uniform at work day. Uniform on the job day is a fixed day of the year when reservists and volunteers in the Armed Forces, the Home Guard, the National Emergency Agency and the Coast Guard can wear their uniform in connection with their civilian work or place of study."

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/h-k-h-prins-joachim-om-”uniform-paa-jobbet-dag”

"HRH Prince Joachim on "Uniform on the job day"

Wednesday 27 September 2023 is Denmark's first Uniform at work day. Uniform on the job day is a fixed day of the year when reservists and volunteers in the Armed Forces, the Home Guard, the National Emergency Agency and the Coast Guard can wear their uniform in connection with their civilian work or place of study."

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/h-k-h-prins-joachim-om-”uniform-paa-jobbet-dag”

Joachim looks great. In the end he really got the long straw in everything. He can now already define his role and make his mark in this position. He does not have to amble aimlessly just waiting. Good for Joachim.

It is partly a way of showing respect to those who serve in other capabilities other than there day job, and of course those who do serve in an etat, as well call it (an etat being the uniformed branches of the civil services) but it is also a recruitment drive. Because it visualize how many who actually volunteer for something be that the Civil Defense, the Home Guard etc. and you didn't know. Making you think: Hmm, perhaps I should join?
Aha! The grumpy secretary from the other department is a volunteer firefighter!?!
The quiet dude from political science is a Home Guard Policeman and the teacher may ask him to tell the class a little about it.
You get my meaning, right?

Of course far from all choose to wear a uniform today, for all sorts of reasons.

"During the day, Danish and French companies within the maritime defence industry have had the opportunity to create business connections and networks at the Maritime Business Event in Paris.

In his capacity as a former defence attaché at the Danish Embassy in Paris as well as the current defence industry attaché at the Embassy of Denmark in Washington D.C. His Royal Highness Prince Joachim participated in the event."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzuFYg0...d&ig_rid=0467a73f-72a4-476f-a892-f49925b66ba6

Yes, DK and France have established some co-operation in regards to providing and producing solutions for warships, not least sensor equipment, software.
That is of something they wish to sell to the US market as well. (You'd be surprised how many foreign components there are in US military materiel.)

Back
Top Bottom