Prince Joachim and the Copenhagen Historic Grand Prix

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He can't have had much time to practice with his team.

Firstly because he's working full time in France. - So no popping back to DK to practice every second weekend or so.
Secondly due to Corona.
Thirdly because due to his stroke and recovering from that, he wouldn't have been able to press his adrenaline level way up, this side of New Year - at least. He looked, and no doubt felt, completely wasted when he started on the job in the early autumn.
And last but by no means least. I don't know how long a holiday he has had or perhaps still has, but I doubt our Marie would accept he would spend more than a couple of days at track, practicing.

A nice photo of J&M and Felix at the race track today.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...g-dag-med-marie-og-boernene-nu-er-jeg-tilbage

He was satisfied with his performance today feeling that he did fine.
Our Marie was pleased for being back in DK.
- We will see a good deal more of her on the job in DK in a week or two.
When does schools start in France?
Here in DK they start Monday.

Apart from heavy rain and a bit of thunder several times a day, the weather is fine. - That should not affect Copenhagen though, so I guess they had an even better summer day.

Thanks, Iceflower.

I must applaud Ulrik Ulriksen from Billed Bladet, I have rarely seen three articles based on so little hard information.

So let's boil it down:
J&M was at the racetrack with the family.
Athena was together with a girlfriend.
Our Marie watched the handball final in Tokyo between Denmark and France and cheered both teams.

Danish Billed Bladet reports that Sunday‘s final didn‘t end that well for Prince Joachim, he didn‘t get that good results. Asked why Princess Marie did not attend (only Prince Henrik and Princess Athena did) Prince Joachim answered she hadn‘t had time to do so.

The photo with Princess Marie included in the article therefore is one taken at a race in previous years:

** BB article: Ærlig prins Joachim: Derfor måtte prinsesse Marie melde afbud **

After the race on Sunday Joachim was also asked about Nikolai‘s girlfriend and whether he had met her, he replied: „ I have. Of course I have. I have met Benedikte many times. And she is a really nice girl, and I think that the two of them should be allowed to be lovers together, without any comments coming from one or the other or the tenth or twentieth side. But she is really nice“.

** BB article: Glad prins Joachim: Ja, jeg har mødt prins Nikolais kæreste **

And here are finally also some photos of Henrik attending the Grand Prix:

** BB article: Joachim dybt rørt: Prins Henrik trøstede sin far på svær dag **

Last edited:
After the race on Sunday Joachim was also asked about Nikolai‘s girlfriend and whether he had met her, he replied: „ I have. Of course I have. I have met Benedikte many times. And she is a really nice girl, and I think that the two of them should be allowed to be lovers together, without any comments coming from one or the other or the tenth or twentieth side. But she is really nice“.

** BB article: Glad prins Joachim: Ja, jeg har mødt prins Nikolais kæreste **

It sounds as if the prince has heard a plethora of comments about his son's girlfriend and is irritated by said comments. Could the members here who are knowledgeable about Danish public opinion clarify what commentary he is alluding to?

Last edited:
And his choice of the word 'lovers' for his son and girlfriend soubds a bit weird as well but that might be a translation issue and perfectly normal in Danish.

Nothing so dramatic.

Joachim was merely urging the press not to ask everybody and everyone to comment about Nikolai and Benedicte's relationship.

The other thing is a translation hick-up, because there is no direct translation to English of the Danish word "kærester".
It literally means dearests and can be translated with lovers (as in being in love and not necessarily having a sexual relationship) or as sweethearts.
The DK word "kæreste" literally means dearest. And should be translated with boyfriend or girlfriend but ideally as sweetheart. Because the word, when used about someone is very specific to mean someone you are in love with.

- However, when using the word "kære or kæreste" to someone, say in a letter or a speech, the word simply means dear or dearest.

So Benedicte is Nikolai's "kæreste".
Benedicte and Nikolai are "kærester".
But when writing to her in a letter or addressing her in a speech, Joachim might very well say (because he's a gentleman) "kære or kæreste" Benedikcte.

Last edited:
So is there a word when you are dating someone but you are not necessarily proclaiming you are in love with them?

So is there a word when you are dating someone but you are not necessarily proclaiming you are in love with them?

Hmm. Not really.

The word "kæreste" is the term for an official girl or boyfriend. Someone you are going steady with. The step up from this is an engagement.

I mean, you are either sweethearts or you are not. Otherwise you are just friends, I suppose - with or without benefits.

And his choice of the word 'lovers' for his son and girlfriend soubds a bit weird as well but that might be a translation issue and perfectly normal in Danish.

Addendum.

Lovers can be translated to "elskende" which normally means someone who has a passionate and usually sexual relationship - but not necessarily someone who have or can have an official relationship.
Say, a relationship between someone who are married to someone else.

For those who remember Shogun - Blackthorne and Mariko were "elskende". (The historical figures in all likelihood never met BTW.)
So were Romeo and Juliet.

- That however is hardly the case for Nikolai and Benedicte. So they can go official and be "kærester".

I simply love dissecting nuances of a language! :D Helps me to get a much deeper understanding of my own language, as well as of English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom