Prince Joachim and Princess Marie, Current Events Part 5: August 2013 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Today, May 25, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie attended the opening of the Sternfahrt 2017 in Sønderborg. Sternfahrt is an international trade fair for volunteer fire and rescue people that is held every other year in different places in Europe. Princess Marie held the opening speech:

** jv.dk gallery ** jv.dk article ** translation ** jv.dk video **

Last edited:
Thanks, Iceflower. :flowers:

J&M back in Southern Jutland. And a perfect weather today for an outing for boys and tomboys. - What's not to love about fire-engines? :D

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #25, 2017.
Written by: Juliane Olsen.

Joachim and our Marie went to the race track at Klampenborg (*) to attend the gala dinner of the French-Danish Commerce Chamber. Apart from presenting an award an dining the guests also watched horses race.
The ladies invited had been asked to wear hats, with a prize for the most original hat. Alas, our Marie didn't win.

Marie wore a top by Tara Jarmin and a skirt by Zara.

Having arrived, they were asked whether they had any tips for bets on the horses. Joachim replied: "Well, I must say we are not skilled enough to make an assessment, even though we live nearby".
Marie was very much looking forward to the whole thing: "It's totally exciting. Horse races is beautiful to watch and the atmosphere is fantastic".
She wasn't optimistic though about winning the prize for the best hat: "Oh, we'll see. I don't know how long I'll keep it on". - And she did indeed ditch the hat later when she was to present the Export Award.
Present was also Marie's LiW, Britt Siesby.

- Joachim as you can see below went half-Haakon and wore a jacket with sleeves that were way too long... :ermm:
https://app.box.com/s/3knfgpyv3ztgxjk10gi2cjleniv0l9mw
https://app.box.com/s/7nev8x83ay7o00vg4f17ijtq6a6btbbg
https://app.box.com/s/8aj1nlxwj8tt0s9h7fekt38vm7c5xrrn

(*) Klampenborg is a very posh area north of Copenhagen, very close to where J&M live. The residents distinguish themselves by their peculiar pronunciation of the letter A, and by hardly opening their mouths when speaking. - Presumably out of fear of ending up with a stray golf ball in the mouth...
This is an area where one is looked down upon if one has only two boats and one's au pairs drive in anything less than a medium sized Audi.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #25, 2017.
Written by: Juliane Olsen.

Joachim and our Marie went to the race track at Klampenborg (*) to attend the gala dinner of the French-Danish Commerce Chamber. Apart from presenting an award an dining the guests also watched horses race.
The ladies invited had been asked to wear hats, with a prize for the most original hat. Alas, our Marie didn't win.

Marie wore a top by Tara Jarmin and a skirt by Zara.

Having arrived, they were asked whether they had any tips for bets on the horses. Joachim replied: "Well, I must say we are not skilled enough to make an assessment, even though we live nearby".
Marie was very much looking forward to the whole thing: "It's totally exciting. Horse races is beautiful to watch and the atmosphere is fantastic".
She wasn't optimistic though about winning the prize for the best hat: "Oh, we'll see. I don't know how long I'll keep it on". - And she did indeed ditch the hat later when she was to present the Export Award.
Present was also Marie's LiW, Britt Siesby.

- Joachim as you can see below went half-Haakon and wore a jacket with sleeves that were way too long... :ermm:
https://app.box.com/s/3knfgpyv3ztgxjk10gi2cjleniv0l9mw
https://app.box.com/s/7nev8x83ay7o00vg4f17ijtq6a6btbbg
https://app.box.com/s/8aj1nlxwj8tt0s9h7fekt38vm7c5xrrn

(*) Klampenborg is a very posh area north of Copenhagen, very close to where J&M live. The residents distinguish themselves by their peculiar pronunciation of the letter A, and by hardly opening their mouths when speaking. - Presumably out of fear of ending up with a stray golf ball in the mouth...
This is an area where one is looked down upon if one has only two boats and one's au pairs drive in anything less than a medium sized Audi.

Hahaha love it [emoji23]

Joachim and Marie participate in the presentation of the book "Eternal Meals".

The Book of Eternal Meals is the first of its kind to gather knowledge about and describe the meals of the princely and nobility over the centuries. The book tells, among other things, about the shelter and the various meals of the meal as well as the raw materials underlying the different dishes.

Præsentation af bogen Fyrstelige måltider | Kongehuset

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...achim-min-far-har-laert-mig-spise-naesten-alt

Joachim and our Marie took part in an event promoting a book with the title Fyrstelige Måltider = Royal/audacious meals.
The book cover courses that used to be served for royals (not only Danish I believe) and they could be very elaborate and also very special!
I don't think I'll actually buy the book, as I Jutlander I'm genetically disposed towards having a very close and loving relationship with my money and my wallet should preferably be kept well away from light. i.e. stay in my pocket. - I'm sure Danes from other parts of DK will be happy to confirm this stereotype. ?
But back to the book. But I'd like to read it for free. Sounds like a funny book.

There is also a video where Joachim talks about how he and his brother was introduced to the concept of tasting food. Often food that on the face of it didn't look or sounded particularly palatable. :ermm:
PH taught them that there is no such thing as bad food, only manners. meaning that you eat what is served, period!
And also that they, and now Athena and Henrik, are allowed to say no to food, provided they have tasted it first.
And sometimes they are not told what it really is until afterwards when they've eaten it. It's a bit hard to say something is gross after you've just munched it down with relish. :D

- That's a principle we've used with our children as well.
Also when they were little, they ate when they were hungry enough. As a result they are pretty much omnivores today. And both have a very healthy appetite, thank you very much! :ohmy:
Either that or there is a troll living in the fridge emptying it every few days.

Reactions: eya
Thanks, Iceflower. :flowers:

And it looks like the two youngest had a great time.

I see chief Longear has got two squaws to help him. He's been around since forever! He was there when my two children went to Legoland for the first time.
And as mentioned in another thread "indianere" = Native Americans have a very good reputation in Europe.

Just for everyones info , wearing indigenous peoples head wear is an incredibly disrespectful thing to do . I understand that they may not be as aware as people in Canada might be about those things but it is wrong none the less.A Headress is a sacred thing and should be treated as such.

Just for everyones info , wearing indigenous peoples head wear is an incredibly disrespectful thing to do . I understand that they may not be as aware as people in Canada might be about those things but it is wrong none the less.A Headress is a sacred thing and should be treated as such.
Had it been Estelle of Sweden wearing it her parents would've been crucified for allowing it but things are different in Denmark. Not many will raise an eyebrow at Athena wearing this headpiece.

No one will raise an eyebrow here in DK.

In fact it's the first time I even hear that it is supposed to be disrespectful.

Okay, some of you will no doubt be angry at me, find me boorish and disrespectful. Fair enough, so be it.

I wore feathers and bonnets when I was a child. "Indianere" were more often than not the heroes, because they were cool and could hide and sneak up on anyone.

My own children wore headbands with feathers, and bonnets too. My own daughter wore a squaw suit at Fastalavn (a kind of children's carnival) because she thought that looked cool. None of them would have dreamed about being disrespectful towards "indianere". Otherwise we, their parents, would have stepped in.
My interest in Native American cultures and history started through playing "indianere" and some of that knowledge was passed on to my own children. Hopefully as balanced as possible.

Forgive me but sometimes I think the world is going barking mad!
If people in a foreign country, on a foreign continent even, can't dress up and play pretending they are "indianere" then it is IMO way over the line!
I can understand it if I went to a tribal event in the Americas wearing a feather-bonnet that it would be considered disrespectful.
Just as I wouldn't dream about going inside a village church in say Spain wearing shorts.

Well, if we adhere to that rule, noone outside Scandinavia and Eastern England can dress up like Vikings from now on. Not even in a back garden in Toronto. Because that is hugely disrespectful towards my country, my culture and my ancestors.
Come on! When people elsewhere dress up like Vikings (I even saw a foreign black guy dressed up as a Viking once at a Viking-event here in DK. I can't remember where he came from, but he sure was enthusiastic! ?) that's fine with me. I think it's funny and sometimes a little bit silly (when they get it too wrong) but I also feel a little proud that someone is showing an interest in my culture and past.

So if I sound a little angry, it's because I am angry.
And I also feel offended on behalf of Marie and Joachim. They may have their flaws like everyone else, but teaching their children to be disrespectful towards other cultures is not among them!

And can we now please move on to more important issues? Like the social issues the native tribes still face in the Americas...

Last edited:
Dressing up in indigenous headdresses is cultural appropriation plain and simple. We don't(thank goodness) paint out faces in black paint and have minstrel shows anymore because it is racist! If indigenous peoples of the americas tell us they are offended by our wearing of their headdresses than it is equally disrespectful. As a non indigenous person it is not up to me to decide what another group finds offensive, I must listen to them to truly understand. As a person of european descent with some scandinavian in me I can wear a viking costume if I choose.

It's one of the Legoland themes, I've found pictures of Christian and Isabella (and their second cousins) and ofJosephine and Vincent (with Christian and countess Ingrid) with a feather as well on previous visits.

So, if the specific indigenous people that Legoland tries to imitate oppose they should address the issue with Legoland.

On the other hand, many indigenous people or people from different countries appreciate it (or are rather indifferent) when people dress up in their traditional costumes as long as it is done respectfully. However, it is a sensitive issue and it is hard to do it right.

Last edited:
Had it been Estelle of Sweden wearing it her parents would've been crucified for allowing it but things are different in Denmark. Not many will raise an eyebrow at Athena wearing this headpiece.

Seriously...?? :sad: Is this really what the Sweden I once lived in has become?
How sad.

I am glad it doesn't raise eyebrows in Denmark. May it stay that way.
Neither does it where I am.

(To Marlene)

Who says so?
Tsi-nah-pa from the Tineh tribe? Who is probably more concerned about making ends meet, unemployment and worried about his children becoming drug addicts or that his daughters might be subjected to domestic abuse.
Or is it because someone, who claims to speak on behalf of all Native Americans, says so? - To suit their own agenda...

Or as an atonement for the past?
Canadas record in that regards in pretty good. In the decade after Little Big Horn a number of prairie tribes sought refuge in, or tried to reach, Canada. - And were granted asylum there.
And despite some difficulties your Mounties in particular, actually managed to keep the situation fairly peaceful - at least in Canada.
That Canada also faced strong domestic as well as foreign political pressure to expel the tribes is another matter.

No, the groups where blacks performed together with white, with blackened faces, is fortunately in the past, because that was meant to be racists.
However, telling people in foreign country that their children can't dress up and play "indianere", what do you call that?
Children play what they learn, and they learn through play.
How can children on other continents learn about Native American cultures and people if they can't play them?

Oh, and don't go to the Netherlands and tell them to get rid of their Black Peter. You may face a very negative reaction! ;)

You say that because you have traces of Scandinavian blood in you, you can dress up as a Viking. I say no go. You are a Canadian. Unless you are a first generation Scandinavian you are showing disrespect to my culture, my heritage and my history. - Remember I'm a Scandinavian it's what I tell you that matters - you said so yourself in regards to Native Americans...

It's of course nonsense! You can dress up as a Viking every day for the rest of your life if you like. You can even wear a horned helmet pretending you are a shield maiden. The worst thing that will happen is that I will find you looking silly for wearing such a helmet.
You can wear a Thor's hammer if you think that's decorative, despite that fact that the Asa-faith is an official religion in Scandinavia.

- So instead of telling other people what they can't do, how about telling us about Native Americans in Canada instead?
Teach us something about the significance and meaning of a wearing a feather-bonnet instead.
Share your knowledge about Native American culture instead of being so politically correct, because then you will do something good for the native nations your obviously and rightly respect so much.

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you, Marlene. :flowers:
That I appreciate, since it means I can learn something. - I may not agree, but I learn something.
I read it later when our guests have left.

Thanks, indeed informative. The main argument seems to be that certain headdresses can only be worn after achieving a specific achievement (by men from that specific tribe) and therefore should be treated as restricted; while most clothing is NOT restricted. The link provided in the link (see below) states specifically that the type (band with one feather) that the children wear is one that has NO symbolic meaning (unless it is an eagle feather), so that suggests to me that that specific one, just like other native clothing is in the 'non-restricted' category according to this writer.

Unlike many of the Native American headdresses on this page, both men and women wore headbands, which were not associated with war. The number and type of feather did not usually have special symbolic meaning, though in a few tribes that bordered the Plains eagle feathers were reserved for warriors. For the most part, Woodland Indian head bands were worn for their beauty, and were often decorated with intricate patterns, wampum, beads, and quillwork.

Source

So, the headdress of the 'chief' in Legoland is most likely the one that would be considered inappropriate by native americans, not the one that they hand out (or have on sale) for children.

Nice to see Henrik and Athena at the event, this was a great opportunity to bring them along to an engagement.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #14, 2018.
Written by Henrik Salling.

Recently Legoland, Denmark celebrated it's 50th anniversary, so J&M along with three children went over to central Jutland to open the whole show.
It was actually pretty cold that day!
The whole opening started with a countdown, then Henrik and Athena should press a button made from legobricks. The two children pressed all they have learned - never thinking about the dude sitting somewhere flicking a switch at the same time. :lol:
Mademoiselle Athena was in great form, she and her mother each got a bouquet of flowers upon arrival, and that was appreciated! The last time she went to Legoland, at least on the job, she got a bouquet made from legobricks. - She's growing up.

It was the head of the Lego-family and the business himself, Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen, along with his wife, Camilla, who guided J&M around the park.
But it wasn't the end of work for the children, because they were also tasked with planting a small flag among the exhibitions and that they did and posed nicely for the photographers.
Well, it was certainly Athena who was the center of attention for our photographer, she's a girl, smiling and charming and life isn't fair to boys. Boys are boring, so Henrik drew backseat...

then the whole family went over to the Western part of the park. It's one of the oldest attractions of the park, it was even around in my childhood. Complete with a brick-replica of Mount Rushmore, a western town where you can wash gold out of a little stream. The "gold" you wash out is then melted into a medallion. Children have fallen for that one for now three generations. :lol:
There is also a native village, complete with teepees and indianere, who look suspiciously like Danes, and also speak with the local accent...
But the chief, Chief Longear, he's pretty cool! :cool:
As mentioned several times before Prairie-indianere in special have a very good image in Europe.
So all three children were made members of the tribe and each issued a feather. Felix, being a real big-brother, also wore one.
And then it was time to try the new ride in the indianer-village, Flying Eagle. Afterwards miss Athena laughed to our reporter: "It tickled a whole lot in the belly."
Even her brother, who is otherwise very much into wheels and cars, said: "It was fun and it went fast."

So it was a good day.

But see for yourselves here: BB #14, 2018

Thanks Iceflower & Eya. :flowers:

Our Marie looks comfortable and elegant. And who can't help admiring Joachim's perfect summer-attire. :cool: - Even if he lost bet with Haakon during the recent celebrations and had to wear these shoes. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom