Prince Joachim and Princess Marie, Current Events Part 5: August 2013 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Polyesco :flowers:

Nice pics.

I see the French ambassador was present as well.

They both look so happy and Marie looks so lovely in black velvet!

Brief summary of article in Billed Bladet #52, 2015.
Written by Henrik Salling.

Joachim and our Marie did indeed go to the French embassy to see the premiere of the new series, which is about the court of Louis XVI.

Outside the embassy the square is made from cobble stones, and stilettos and cobblestones don't mix, so Marie nearly fell, fortunately the ambassador got hold of her. As you can see in the article.

Well inside they were met by two pretty adorable flowergirls in the shape of eight year old Anna and six year old Viktoria.
Present was also PH's nephew, Charles-Henri Keller, who has been studying in Copenhagen for years, along with his Danish sweetheart, Nathalia Harris. (That name is familiar but I can't remember why).

J&M were invited, partly because they do quite a lot to improve Danish-French relations, but also because of the support by the DRF after the recent terror attack in Paris.

https://app.box.com/s/tv5twxtd9p1o1aehn2jrzbt5i13y0ji0
https://app.box.com/s/k0w8rl4equc6yq8vs98sgpp88zvtbpl1

... along with his Danish sweetheart, Nathalia Harris. (That name is familiar but I can't remember why)
Perhaps you think of Bende and Preben Harris, the directors of Folketeatret through a long period of over 25 years, IIRC :)

Interesting that Henrik's nephew attended! To what extent do the French family members have a bond with Denmark? Are there any others who have lived in DK as well?

Interesting that Henrik's nephew attended! To what extent do the French family members have a bond with Denmark? Are there any others who have lived in DK as well?
Yes, there´s at least one other newphew, who has lived and find his wife here in Denmark. But can I remember his name? Nope :ermm:

today Joachim and Marie participate in the selection of Danish-Icelandic Society's 100th anniversary.

An upcoming trip for them,
" Prince Joachim and Princess Marie participate in the selection of Danish-Icelandic Society's 100th anniversary on January 21 to 22. Reykjavik, Iceland." :flowers:

They haven't really had any official events overseas, looking forward to it

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #02, 2016.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

Prior to Joachim and Marie's official visit to Iceland later this month, the two of them went to an evening event at the Danish-Icelandic Society in Copenhagen, in celebration of its 100th anniversary. - That is also why J&M are going to Iceland.
Our Marie wore a black dress from Rikke Gudnitz. (Yes, you'll see it eventually).
Among those present was the Icelandic President, Olafur Ragnar Grimsson.

The dress code was smoking (I can never remember the English name, black butterfly-suit). Icelandic delicacies were served and the evening ended with dancing, including the menuet Les Lanciers.

- It looks like J&M are handling the DRF coverage of the various diplomatic events here in DK.

- Iceland was colonized by the first humans, Vikings, around the 800's, who established a surprisingly democratic society.
Later on the Norwegian kings took over and when Norway a few hundred years later de facto became a part of the Danish realm, so did Iceland, the Faeroe Islands and Greenland, and part of the Shetland Islands BTW.
When DK was occupied in 1940, Britain in return occupied Iceland and Faeroe Islands and in 1943 or 44 Iceland declared itself independent and became a republic.
Iceland was until the 1700's located at the very edge of the Danish realm. Greenland was only re-colonized in earnest at that time. Until then only Scandinavian traders, whale-hunters and temporary settlers of hunters made it to Greenland.
In fact when a volcano caused a "nuclear-winter" in Iceland, that caused starvation that killed off a considerable percentage of the populations it took months for the news to reach Copenhagen, let alone for a response to be organized and by then it was too late.
In the 1600 and early 1700's Iceland, just like parts of the waters around the British Isles, were raided by North African pirates who captured women and children for the slave markets. It has been estimated that well above a million Europeans were captured and sold as slaves in North Africa in that period.
Many converted and were set free, sometimes to pursue an illustrious career. Others were able to by themselves free or be ransomed. There were public fundraisings offering insurance for captured passengers, traders and (mainly skilled) sailors in case they were captured by pirates.

:previous:Looking forward to it. Its been a while since they have done a visit overseas. And thank you for the mini history lesson

"- It looks like J&M are handling the DRF coverage of the various diplomatic events here in DK." what do you mean?

:previous:Looking forward to it. Its been a while since they have done a visit overseas. And thank you for the mini history lesson

"- It looks like J&M are handling the DRF coverage of the various diplomatic events here in DK." what do you mean?

I mean that we have seen them, perhaps understandably, with several events with the French ambassador and now also with the Icelandics. I'd say they are beginning to get well acquainted with the various ambassadors and diplomats by now.

Here is the official two day program form http://kongehuset.dk
TRH Prince Joachim and Princess Marie participate in the selection of Danish-Icelandic Society's 100th anniversary on January 21 to 22

THURSDAY, Jan. 21, 2016
Kl. 18.30: Reception by Danish-Icelandic Society
TRH Prince Joachim and Princess Marie participate in the reception by Danish-Icelandic Society.

FRIDAY, Jan. 22, 2016
Kl. 10.30: Tour of Reykjavik
TRH Prince Joachim and Princess Marie gets tour of Reykjavik in the car and be amongst showcased Danish architectural influence.

Kl. 11.15: Visit at the cultural center Harpa
TRH Prince Joachim and Princess Marie will have a guided tour of the cultural center Harpa

Kl. 14.00: Visit by furniture house EPAL
TRH Prince Joachim and Princess Marie have showcased exhibition of contemporary Icelandic design in furniture house EPAL

Kl. 19.00: Celebration dinner
TRH Prince Joachim and Princess Marie participates in Danish Icelandic Society 100th Anniversary dinner​

I always wonder when I see royal couples on tours without their kids: do the kids stay in their own home with nannies, or do they (with nannies in tow) go stay with grandparents or such? Joachim's older kids would just be with their mother.

I've read that Queen Letizia's mother will stay with her granddaughters when their parents are away on extended tours. It is possible that Joachim and Marie ask her mother to come and stay if they have a tour that takes them out of the country. Otherwise they might stay with their nannies and have their other relatives check on them.

I always wonder when I see royal couples on tours without their kids: do the kids stay in their own home with nannies, or do they (with nannies in tow) go stay with grandparents or such? Joachim's older kids would just be with their mother.

I think that it is possible for Henrik and Athena to stay with kids of Crown Prince's Couple. Fred and Mary are in Denmark.

The older boys may stay with their mother?

:previous: Perhaps they are having a sleepover with friends?

Otherwise the nanny can look after them I guess.

Marie and Joachim went today on a tour of the Harpa, our new opera house designed in part by the danish-icelandic Ólafur Elíasson then they went to Epal, A store that sells predominately danish and Icelandic design.

Harpa (video with fitting music by the Olsen brothers:)):
Kóngafólkið skoðar sig um: myndskeið - mbl.is

Epal (you can see in the backround of photo nr.6 pictures of Frederik and Henrik):
Jóakim og Marie skoðuðu Epal - mbl.is

shouldn't the visit to iceland have its own separate thread?

i like that joachim and marie are doing some representation abroad, it's been a while!

Wow nice hotel. I like the pics so far of the trip.

Not sure about Marie's jacket. It seems a bit odd to me

Thanks, Valberg, :flowers:

My Icelandic is, ahem, a bit rusty... What's the interesting building with the grid-like structure they are visiting?

BB has an article: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...-paa-island-nogle-gange-gaar-vi-under-radaren

The building I asked about above is that the culture-house?

Actually Joachim and our Marie have been to Iceland (that admittedly is a spectacular country) three times before. Joachim said: "It's not always we are here officially, sometimes we fly under the radar".

Iceland suffered an almost total economic collapse during the financial crisis, now it's working itself back to again being a very affluent country: "It's fantastic to see. One thing is what Iceland has been through both on the long and short lane. But here is a belief in yourselves and the drive to move ahead and onward - and back on top again".

Last edited:
:previous:
Yes Muhler I think so, they had a fair amount, there was a live segment on the evening news when they visited the nordic house, and in online newspapers. so the visit was fairly hard for anyone to miss unless they ignore all news:)

Back
Top Bottom