Possible names and godparents for Joachim & Marie's baby

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling that this time Prince Nikolaos could be one of the godfathers, or is he godfather of Nikolai?
I guess also that CP Mary and one of the Maries brothers and Britt or Oscar Siesby would be among the godparents

When do they usually announce the God Parents ?
Is Joachim close with the other Royals .. W-A, Haakon,Felipe,etc ?

Godparents are usually annouced the day of the christening.

I Tried to reply to this the other day but turned out my account had not got the ok to reply so I hope it has been sorted now.

I think if it is a girl the name Desire' is highly likely it has been used a lot in the Danish royal family over the years but is French of origin. I do not think names like Louise Leonora or Christine are likely to be used due to associations with x royals (one in particular I am thinking about was called Leonora Christina)
I also think that whilst obviousluy Alexandra would have had a say in what style of names she and Joachim did agree together so I think we can say that Joachim appears to like names that are fairly modern yet traditional so I cant help but wonder if Christopher or Magnus can come in for a boy .

I belive middle names will include Joachims paternal grandmothers name (renee') and then names from Marie's side for a girl with boys I think it wil be the two grand fathers and then a very traditional Danish royal name for the last one like Valdemar (I cant recall what Nikolai and Felix are called for their middle names) or Hans

Desiree is more in the Swedish royal family or have i missed something.
I like the name Christopher too but pls not Hans. Its soooo oldfashioned

Most of you agree that if the baby is a girl she should be named a variant of Amalia/Amalie/Amélie. What's more, Victoria, Louise, Sophie, Ingrid and Dagmar are close runner-ups. You are also fairly keen on names like Tyra, Emma, Laura, Caroline and a variant of Mathilde/Mathilda.

It will be very interesting to see what they will go with. If you look at Nikolai and Felix's names, you see that Joachim have chosen royal names for the middle-names, but very common, modern and even quite special names for the first name, and I think we can expect that here as well.

I think Ingrid and Emma arn't very realistic because there are already kids in the Norwegian royal family that are named this. Also, Tyra and Dagmar also seem quite old-fashioned and royal, so I don't think they will go with those either, only for, perhaps, middlenames.

A question - we will ahve to wait till cristening to know the name of the baby?

When do they usually announce the God Parents ?

After the christening. It's usually in the same announcement along with the christening and baby's names. Look for it on the DRF's official site. If the baby comes in early May, the christening will probably be around the first or second week of August.

I've guessed before, but I'm gonna guess again. :-D

Noah August Christian Henri
Amélie Louise Renee Francois

I could also picture them not hournering any family members though, and really, besides protocol, why would they need to do that? It's not that common in Denmark, and Joachim and Alexandra didn't really use to many names from family.

Other names that I think are great for first name, and that I believe could be potential names for the new Prince(ss). :-D

Marius
Magnus
Tristan
Samuel
Andreas
Theodore
Christoffer
Phillip
Sebastian
Oliver
Jakob

Sophie
Louise
Amalie
Emily
Caroline
Mathilde
Pauline
Tabitha
Theresa
Regitze
Sienna
Cianna
Mille
Laura
Augusta
Emma
Emilie
Esther
Malia(H). :-D
Jeniffer. :-D

I just think that it is SO ufortunete that the name Alexandra can't be usen anymore. :-D

I think that we can rule out Alexandra/Alexandrine for a girl. I know Alexandrine is a family name, but I think it would be really strange to have your daughter named after or close to your ex-wife.

I absolutely agree with you. I don't think they would name a boy Alexander for the same reason.

Indeed, as is Danish Tradition.
It's about 3 months after the birth.
x

Is it a traditional for Danish royals or for all Danish people?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a traditional for Danish royals or for all Danish people?

It is a Danish tradition not only a royal one. I did not know the names of my nephews and nieces until their baptism about 3 months after their birth. I don't think all Danes follows the tradition though - but many do.

Billed-Bladet has an article about the naming of Joachim and Marie's baby. The royal editor of the magazine thinks that if the child is a girl, she will be called Louise Francoise Alexandrine Marie, and if the child is a boy, he will be called Albert Marie Holger Frederik.

Billed-Bladet - Marie og Joachim - hvad skal barnet hedde?

Marie for a boy's name? Even if it is a 2nd or 3rd name seems odd to me. I like Albert though. How does this person possibly "know" the name of the baby. I thought the DRF was tighlipped about their new additions until the christening.

On another note I would love for her to have twins. Two little girls would be awesome. I think she is very close to delivery, but I doubt 2 babies. She has such a small frame. I think that's why she looks larger around her middle.

Can't wait. I know this is an exciting time for Denmark, Joachim and their sons.

Good luck to Marie and Joachim.......Hope this is not the only pregnancy for this gorgeous couple. Their babies will be beautiful.

Marie for a boy's name? Even if it is a 2nd or 3rd name seems odd to me.

I agree, Tx Pride, that Marie seems unusual for a boy's name especially here in the States. However, I have been surprised before -- for example, Princess Caroline's son's name "Andrea" still throws me every time I see it. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a lovely name, but I'm always reminding myself that he's a son, not a daughter. Naming conventions must be a bit different in Europe.

Regarding twins...I do think it would have been announced by the Danish Royal Court but WOW what a great surprise it would be!

I agree, Tx Pride, that Marie seems unusual for a boy's name especially here in the States. However, I have been surprised before -- for example, Princess Caroline's son's name "Andrea" still throws me every time I see it. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a lovely name, but I'm always reminding myself that he's a son, not a daughter. Naming conventions must be a bit different in Europe.

Regarding twins...I do think it would have been announced by the Danish Royal Court but WOW what a great surprise it would be!

As far as I know, a French boy would never be given the name Marie as a first name, but only in combination with other names.

As for Andrea, you have to remember that his father, Stefano Casiraghi, was Italian and that's probably why he was given an Italian name.

Prince Joachim of Belgium has 'Maria' in his name, and Prince Amadeo of Belgium has 'Marie' in his name. Prince Felix of Luxembourg also has 'Marie' in his name. It does seem strange to give this name to a male child, but perhaps it is a family tradition.

I really do hope that Joachim and Marie have a girl, though. It would be lovely to see a new little princess, especially since most of the Danish royal children are male.

Last edited:
However, I have been surprised before -- for example, Princess Caroline's son's name "Andrea" still throws me every time I see it. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a lovely name, but I'm always reminding myself that he's a son, not a daughter. Naming conventions must be a bit different in Europe.
Naming conventions are different all over Europe, it depends on the region and the language.
Andrea is traditionally a male Italian name. Only since the ship "Andrea Doria" people call their daughters Andrea some countries other than Italy. They heard the name, didn't speak Italian and thought it would be a lovely name for a girl.

Prince Joachim of Belgium has 'Maria' in his name, and Prince Amadeo of Belgium has 'Marie' in his name. Prince Felix of Luxembourg also has 'Marie' in his name. It does seem strange to give this name to a male child, but perhaps it is a family tradition.
It is a tradition in catholic Europe for little boys to have Marie/Maria as a second/third etc but never as a first name.
So it is an old tradition but not necessarily a royal one but more a catholic one.
As the baby won't be catholic and this isn't a tradition in the Danish Royal Family, I doubt he would have Marie as one of his names.

Last edited by a moderator:
Naming a boy after Virgin Mary is not unusal in some Catholic countries. The King of Spain was named Juan Carlos Alfonso Víctor María.

Joachim and Marie naming a boy after a famous soccer player is a lot more likely then naming him - a Lutheran Protestant - after the Vergin Mary ;).

In that perspective a name could be:

Michael Peter Diego Edison

Michale after Michael Laudrup
Peter after Peter Schmeichel
Diego after Diego Maradonna
and Edison after Pelé

On the other hand, taken Joachims interest in cars into considerration a boy might more likely be named after famous racing drivers.

:flowers:

I doubt if he'll take the liberty of naming a child after a racing driver. He is a royal and will adhere to rotal protocol, using historic names of ancestors or royals from the past. Perhaps a little mix with names of living family members.

Prince Joachim is very formal in his demeanor, even though he thouroughly enjoys racing, discos, etc.

Joachim and Marie naming a boy after a famous soccer player is a lot more likely then naming him - a Lutheran Protestant - after the Vergin Mary ;).

In that perspective a name could be:

Michael Peter Diego Edison

Michale after Michael Laudrup
Peter after Peter Schmeichel
Diego after Diego Maradonna
and Edison after Pelé

On the other hand, taken Joachims interest in cars into considerration a boy might more likely be named after famous racing drivers.

:flowers:

Oh, Lilla, you are very funny! You forgot Becks and Ronaldinho. :lol:

I agree with the other posters. I'm sure that the baby will have names that are traditional for the royal family. I would like to see Marie's parents honored with having one of their names included in the baby's names, like Frederik and Mary did with Christian and Isabella.

I doubt if he'll take the liberty of naming a child after a racing driver.

It was a joke dear Rylt11 :flowers:.

I too would be very surprised if the child was not named according to tradition.

You forgot Becks and Ronaldinho. :lol:

Oops....yes, how could I. But her is another namesurgestion:

Ronaldo David Cristiano Lionel

13.gif

Hehe. :-D It's like, in the Us, you also use Kristian as a girls name right? Now THAT I find strange. :-D

In Denmark Kristian is a boys name only. The name can't be used for girls unless an a or an e is added forming the names Kristiana and Kristiane or the last two letters an is replaced with either the letters na or the letters ne forming the names Kristina and Kristine.

Girl
Catherine
Christine
Erika
Joanna
Caroline
Charlotte

Boy
Andre
Oliver
Johan
Erik