Marie's Family and Circle of Friends

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Discretion in these matters is always a plus. That it should be required is the puzzlement.

He was married on both occasions, in Australia with Frederick and at the shooting party with Marie. So, it seems to underscore the fact that the marriage to Alexandra already had its cracks in it. Otherwise, they most likely would have been together at both events.

Sad, really.

Yes, the meeting at Caroline Fleming's was in the fall of 2002. The follow-up came in the spring of 2005 according to the engagement interview.

In the meantime, there were vacations in various places, visits in France and Denmark, also together at CFleming's castle before the christening of her youngest child.

More than anything, it is important to note that they seem to be very natural and happy in each other's company, that she wants to be a wife first. Perhaps with Alexandra, it was the responsibilities of being a Danish princess first - Frederick wasn't married at the time - and her princess role was more prominent than Marie's. It seems she really wanted to live up to those responsibilities and perhaps the role got away from them as a couple.

Timing is so important in life. Joachim has now matured as well, and realizes the complexities of relationships a bit better, I think. He speaks very well about his boys, his new wife, the new future at Schackenborg.

Hopefully, they will continue to have more children after this little son and the royals at Schackenborg will have a very happy life together.

Marie's mother is a very elegant woman! It was nice to see her parents attending the gala together; even though they are divorced, they seem to get along quite well. Marie really resembles her father. She is petite like her mother, but her face resembles her father.

Yes, Marie's mother always looks elegant, she has a simplicity about her that is charming, very understated, but beautiful. It's nice to see the parents together, and I just wonder if her current husband was not invited...

Marie's father looks charming, like he is really enjoying all of this. I'm sure he's thrilled with the little grandson, as is Marie's mother.

It's much easier for her parents to come to Denmark for events such as this from France and Switzerland, than Mary's family from Australia. It's quite a distance and far more expensive....

It would be so nice to get a little family picture of the grandparents and parents with the little one...

BT.dk has an article that talks about how Denmark's most powerful business leaders were well-represented at the christening. Joachim has been friends with many of these people since he was a child. The article also talks about Marie having connections to members of high society (doesn't specify whether it is Danish or French). Her grandmother is a baroness, her father is a partner in an advertising agency. She knows a lot of the business-elite in Switzerland, who are leaders of some of the world's luxury brands, particularly alcohol and fashion. The article also points out that they had a common friends (Caroline Flemming and Rebecca Wedell) before they met each other.

Barnedåb p å 1. klasse - Royale - BT.dk

Does the article mention how Caroline Flemming (who supposedly hosted the shooting party where J and M met) and Marie knew each other before Marie met Joachim? They didn't grow up in the same places, nor went to same schools...

Caroline Flemming is a very beautiful woman as well, looks like she is full of personality from the video...

Sorry, rylt11, the article doesn't mention how the two women met each other. I am also curious about that, but have yet to read anything about their connection. It is really great to see that Joachim's friends have warmed up to Marie. I was happy to see that she included Britt among the godparents.

Yes, I was also happy to see Britt as one of the two godmothers. I have read that she has spent much time with them, as they live very near Amalienborg. They also came over with sandwiches right after the baby's birth. Only VERY good friends know how important those gestures are, as opposed to a "gift." She's been in many pictures with J and M.

The very different backgrounds of Caroline Fleming and Marie, different countries, different schooling, make it hard to figure out how these two women could have walked similar paths that would enable them to meet and become good friends over the years. Maybe this mystery will be revealed in the course of time.

I find it a little incredible that this romance began quite by chance at Caroline Fleming's castle, despite that being the official story, and that they met while Joachim was married, with Felix a few months old, I believe.

I can't remember the dates exactly, but it would seem strange for a new father to go off to a shooting party without his wife. Would Joachim do that now with Marie? I think very unlikely.

Yes, I was also happy to see Britt as one of the two godmothers. I have read that she has spent much time with them, as they live very near Amalienborg. They also came over with sandwiches right after the baby's birth. Only VERY good friends know how important those gestures are, as opposed to a "gift." She's been in many pictures with J and M.

The very different backgrounds of Caroline Fleming and Marie, different countries, different schooling, make it hard to figure out how these two women could have walked similar paths that would enable them to meet and become good friends over the years. Maybe this mystery will be revealed in the course of time.

I find it a little incredible that this romance began quite by chance at Caroline Fleming's castle, despite that being the official story, and that they met while Joachim was married, with Felix a few months old, I believe.

I can't remember the dates exactly, but it would seem strange for a new father to go off to a shooting party without his wife. Would Joachim do that now with Marie? I think very unlikely.

I personally think there's more to the meeting than we will ever know. I don't think it was a set up (since he was married at the time) but Marie's father knew Henrik before they met so who knows?

Yes, there must have been quite a spark at that first meeting, if it still had life several years later (2002 to 2005, I think are the years we're talking about).

She is very striking, and it would be totally reasonable to have a special remembrance. I read recently that Alexandra's house was purchased in Feb 2004 and given to her on her birthday in June of the same year. This was about 10 months before they had gone through the required 6 months separation before filing for and being granted the divorce....

Of course, Mary and Frederik were at the height of the news with pending marriage at the time, so Joachim and Alexandra were just waiting for the nod from the queen to proceed.

Felix was baptized in October of 2002. The shooting party was in 2002, in the fall, I believe. By February of 2004 A and J had to know it was pretty much over for Joachim (or the queen, or both?) to purchase a separate house for Alexandra.

April 2005, divorce is finalized. He begins calling Marie to see if they can get together in Paris - 2005. (remember the song "April in Paris"?)

Last edited by a moderator:
How nice for Marie to attend concerts, fashion shows, and the like with women friends, and to be asked to be a godmother to one of Joachim's closest friends' child. Their friendship is mutual and they are making Marie feel very welcome to this circle of friends.

I had been under the impression that it was Oscar's mother who was known for the famous sandwiches, but it is Britt's mother, as it turns out. She is Davidson (?) and he is Siesbye (?), then? I hope the spelling is correct.

I don't know for sure, but both of them are listed as Davidsen Siesbye. This article says that it is Oscar's mother that runs the shop, but her name is Ida Davidsen, and he is often listed as Siesbye or Davidsen Siesbye. However, I have also read that Britt's mother owned the shop. Perhaps one of the Danish members knows for sure. Here is the article that says that Oscar is the son of Ida Davidsen:
El príncipe Joaquín y la princesa Marie coinciden con la condesa Alejandra y su marido en el bautizo de unos amigos

I read about the history of the restaurant in the website, and it seems there have been Oskars before, so I tend to think that the present Oscar is in the business.

Sometimes these facts are written one way, and other time, the other way, so it is confusing to someone who does not have first hand familiarity with the restaurant.

The website lists several of the most famous combinations and sandwich names, they sound very good.

Regarding the Davidsen-Siesbyes; from what I can gather (and have interpreted from the restaurant website), Oscar is Davidsen-Siesbye by birth. Davidsen from his mother (Ida Davidsen of the sandwich family) and Siesbye from his father (Adam Siesbye). Britt married in, she took her husband's last name (a combination of his parents').

This quote from the website explains it:
Since 1978 Ida Davidsen has, together with her husband Adam Siesbye
So my guess is that because Ida inherited the business from her father, she gave her last name to her son (Oscar) along with her husband's last name to keep the Davidsen name within the next generation.

Thank you, JessRulz for the quote. This makes sense. I kept seeing different stories in articles that have appeared over the years.
Meanwhile, BB must be on the same wavelength as those of us here at the Forum who are curious about their friends. Here's a look at some of the friends of the couple:
Billed-Bladet - Marie og Joachim - her er vennekredsen
It talks about how Marie has also made her own friends in Denmark, among them, Agathe de Sacies, whom Marie met through the French embassy in Copenhagen. It also says that "Marie has learned the Danish language, and has settled in Denmark. The partners of Joachim's friends are, lucikly, are those whom Marie gets along well with".

Last edited:
Nice for Marie to have some French speaking friends as well. I would think that many of the Danish friends probably speak English as well (from school and international travels, plus business needs), so that their conversations don't need to be carried out exclusively in Danish.

That Marie is making gains with her Danish is very good, so she can perhaps answer ilmpromptu questions from the press, or make appropriate comments when receiving flowers, etc. They say it takes 7 years to become fluent in a foreign language. She still has a way to go, but the progress is what's important.

Billed-Bladet has a short little article about Britt Siesbye:
Billed-Bladet - Britt Siesbye - Prinsesse Maries gode veninde
It says that Prince Joachim has always known Oscar and Britt Siesbye, and that Britt was one of the very first people to be introduced to Marie by Joachim. The article says that Marie and Britt often meet up, and that they have children in the same age group.

Regarding the Davidsen-Siesbyes; from what I can gather (and have interpreted from the restaurant website), Oscar is Davidsen-Siesbye by birth. Davidsen from his mother (Ida Davidsen of the sandwich family) and Siesbye from his father (Adam Siesbye). Britt married in, she took her husband's last name (a combination of his parents').

This quote from the website explains it:
So my guess is that because Ida inherited the business from her father, she gave her last name to her son (Oscar) along with her husband's last name to keep the Davidsen name within the next generation.

I explained it yesterday on the Countess Alexandra thread, in case anyone's interested:). If you're not interested, it's still on the Countess Alexandra thread; sorry I don't know how to cross reference :ermm:!

Viv

So, then, this means that when Britt married Oscar Davidsen Siesbye, she became Britt Davidsen-Siesbye (as though the last two names were connected). What was Britt's maiden name?

Her maiden name was Tang-Lassen.

Quote from tv2vip:
Forholdet mellem den 42-årige prinsesse og den 28-årige fotograf havde i et års tid været en offentlig hemmelighed, da parret for første gang optrådte sammen foran blitzende pressefotografer i september 2006, da smørrebrødsdronningen Ida Davidsens søn Oscar og hans kæreste Britt Tang Lassen giftede sig ved et celebert bryllup i Marmorkirken i København.
This quote talks about the relationship between Alexandra and her new husband first going public at the wedding celebrations of Oscar Davidsen Siesbye and Britt Tang Lassen.

http://vip.tv2.dk/article.php/id-6053480.html (source)

Last edited:
Yes, there it is, so now there is no question that it is Oscar who is Ida Davidsen's son, and she, of course, is the sandwich queen of Stockholm (or perhaps Denmark?),

Thank you, sgl.

Now, as to the article that was the source, there is a picture of Alexandra and Martin at a wedding, would this be Oscar and Britt's wedding, or someone else's?

So, then, this means that when Britt married Oscar Davidsen Siesbye, she became Britt Davidsen-Siesbye (as though the last two names were connected). What was Britt's maiden name?

No, she didn't, the two names are not hyphenated :)! Davidsen is the middle name of Oscar, Siesbye is his surname. BTW the definition of a middle name is a name with "surname characteristics".

She most likely became Britt Davidsen Siesbye! At least that's the way her name was written on the DRF website in connection with the baptism.

Background:
A new Danish name law was inroduced in 2006, according to which you keep your own name when you marry, unless you apply for the name of your spouse!
The most obvious thing is to apply for the surname, but it is now also possible to apply for the middle name of the spouse. Sometimes a couple even combine a their names, giving themselves a hard time whenever they have to write their full names on the dotted line .................:D.

Viv

Yes, there it is, so now there is no question that it is Oscar who is Ida Davidsen's son, and she, of course, is the sandwich queen of Stockholm (or perhaps Denmark?),

Thank you, sgl.

Now, as to the article that was the source, there is a picture of Alexandra and Martin at a wedding, would this be Oscar and Britt's wedding, or someone else's?

The picture was taken at the wedding of Britt and Oscar, which took place at the "Marble church" in Copenhagen in September 2006. Let me add that I happened to pass the church when the couple left, but I had no idea that it was a society wedding! I was exhausted because I had been following the coffin of the Dowager Empress of Russia, Maria Feodorovna to some, Empress Dagmar to us Danes, who was sent back to Russia on the very same day!

viv

Last edited by a moderator:
How interesting, about following the coffin of Maria Feodorovna and seeing this wedding as well. Some members of the royal family were in attendance at these proceedings, I remember seeing the pictures. A tragic story that is getting rectified. I understand that the remains of two of Nicholas' children are still not buried with the rest of the family.

In Spanish speaking countries, one is baptized with a first name, then a middle name (can be the feast day of the saint of the day of the birth), the father's surname, followed by the mother's maiden name. This way, it is fairly easy to trace a family tree, figure out cousins, etc.

Sometimes, a family will want to keep two names together (such as Davidsen Siesbye), and they will do that by hyphenating them.

When a woman marries, she keeps all of her baptized names, adding "de" (which means "of") and adding the husband's paternal surname. She never loses her family surnames. I think this comes from the Napoleonic code, but am not positive.

It looks like the new 2006 Danish law is following this system.

Here in the US, Mary Ann Smith can marry Robert Harry Thompson and becomes Mary Ann Thompson. The Smith is gone, unless she chooses to include it in her signature. Legal papers might ask for her maiden name as a way to distinguish her from all the other Mary Ann Thompsons.

Thank you, Viv.

I read somewhere, I can't remember where, that Marie's grandmother is a baroness, is this true?

:previous: Yes, it is. Earlier this summer, Joachim and Marie took baby Henrik to her home in France because the Baroness was not able to attend the christening. Marie seems to be very close to her grandmother.

Marie's father has siblings I believe. At least one sister if I recall. I wonder if they are at all close with Prince Henrik's family. I believe I read that her father was an acquaintance or friend of theirs, but don't remember if they mentioned any of Alain Cavallier's siblings as well.

How did the Baronne acquire her title? Was she born with it, or marry into it? How does this peerage fit with Alain Cavallier? There must be a connection somewhere.

I'm not sure about the Baroness' title and nobility. I don't know how she acquired it (marriage or birth), but I do know that Alain and his siblings do not have a title. They would have been addressed by them on the guest list released by the DRF for the wedding and christening if that were the case. The Baroness was the only one listed with a title from Marie's side of the family.

Back
Top Bottom