Marie in the Princess School

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Royal Darkness

Aristocracy
City
NoName
Country
Germany
Have we some informations about the experts which train Marie as a princess?

Are it the same, which also trained Crownprincess Mary (language, history, style)?

Which teachers are necessary?

AND I don't mean speculations like: "Her style is awful. She needs a stylist..." - etc.

What is necessary to become a princess? And which options exist to "make" a princess by training her?

I'm still trying to find the website but I remember an interview with Princess Alexandra when she turned forty when she talked about becoming a Princess. I'll keep searching...

I've just found this quote form Costume Magazine's interview with the then-Princess Alexandra on the challenges of becoming a Princess:
“My life had turned upside down when I came to Denmark almost 10 years ago. From one day to the other getting engaged, married, getting used to been a public person and getting other duties was overwhelming. All of a sudden, you get a role you have to fill and get to know your new country and finding new friends. I didn’t know anyone. I remember it as being a 5 year old again, you have to learn things from scratch. It took about 3 years for me to say that I got the things in place and then could focus on my job that was important to me.
In the beginning it was like a typhoon that turned things upside down in my life. It was confusing.
Fortunately, I was open and stubborn. I am a person who says this is my situation if anything has to get better then I have to do something about it.
I have a close family and they mean the world to me.
In the beginning I was thinking am I doing a good job? Where can I buy a calendar?
At that time it was important to me not to start a family. How could I do that when I felt like a 5 year old? I had a lot to learn,” said Alexandra."

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just found this quote form Costume Magazine's interview with the then-Princess Alexandra on the challenges of becoming a Princess:
“My life had turned upside down when I came to Denmark almost 10 years ago. From one day to the other getting engaged, married, getting used to been a public person and getting other duties was overwhelming. All of a sudden, you get a role you have to fill and get to know your new country and finding new friends. I didn’t know anyone. I remember it as being a 5 year old again, you have to learn things from scratch. It took about 3 years for me to say that I got the things in place and then could focus on my job that was important to me.
In the beginning it was like a typhoon that turned things upside down in my life. It was confusing.
Fortunately, I was open and stubborn. I am a person who says this is my situation if anything has to get better then I have to do something about it.
I have a close family and they mean the world to me.
In the beginning I was thinking am I doing a good job? Where can I buy a calendar?
At that time it was important to me not to start a family. How could I do that when I felt like a 5 year old? I had a lot to learn,” said Alexandra."

Thanks! Already! :flowers:
But we have no informations about Marie's "experts"...

thanks for the article!

i believe i read some time ago what per hornit said about training mary in order to be a princess. he mentioned talking about danish culture in danish and basically mastering the language. if i find the article, i will post it here. i guess something similar will happen with marie.

I wonder if there is a lot of critique while learning the ropes. If Alexandra felt like a five year old after being so confident in her engagement interview, I would wonder how grueling and demanding the schooling was at the time.

I wonder if there is a lot of critique while learning the ropes. If Alexandra felt like a five year old after being so confident in her engagement interview, I would wonder how grueling and demanding the schooling was at the time.

But then Alexandra came from a totally different culture - society in Hongkong works very different from that of Denmark or other European capitals. While Marie grew up in Paris and Geneva and attended an upper-class school in the French (formal) style. So I guess she already knows how to behave on a top notch party and a formal dinner and only has to learn things she needs to know as a new Danish citizen.

But then Alexandra came from a totally different culture - society in Hongkong works very different from that of Denmark or other European capitals. While Marie grew up in Paris and Geneva and attended an upper-class school in the French (formal) style. So I guess she already knows how to behave on a top notch party and a formal dinner and only has to learn things she needs to know as a new Danish citizen.

However, I believe that some of the problems she will face will be the same as Alexandra, for example, Alexandra said that she had no idea how to work this new system - and neither Alexandra nor Marie, obviously, have had much first hand experience of the royal system before marrying:
“In the beginning I felt very lonely. I went from working with 200 people
if I had a question about something you knew where to go. Here I came to
another big system and I was all alone. I felt it that was frightening.” (From the Costume interview).

However, I read (and I believe the quote can be found in the Countess' current events thread) that Marie, Joachim, Alexandra and Martin can still go out to parties etc together - they don't avoid each other, so I should expect that Alexandra will give some advice to Marie.

[...] However, I read (and I believe the quote can be found in the Countess' current events thread) that Marie, Joachim, Alexandra and Martin can still go out to parties etc together - they don't avoid each other, so I should expect that Alexandra will give some advice to Marie.

That would be nice. I think that Countess Alexandra is a person who will help Marie so often it will be possible.
Marie has one "problem" more, than all the "new" (Crown-)Princesses: She even must learn to be a mother for Nikolai and Felix. And she has to learn to handle the education in cooperation with Prince Joachim and Countess Alexandra.
Marie's decision to become a princess of Danmark and to marry a man with children and to handle it all - a complete new life - is very admirable.
I wish her luck and I hope, that she will get all the help she needs. The best experts who can train her to become a princess.

That would be nice. I think that Countess Alexandra is a person who will help Marie so often it will be possible.
Marie has one "problem" more, than all the "new" (Crown-)Princesses: She even must learn to be a mother for Nikolai and Felix. And she has to learn to handle the education in cooperation with Prince Joachim and Countess Alexandra.
Marie's decision to become a princess of Danmark and to marry a man with children and to handle it all - a complete new life - is very admirable.
I wish her luck and I hope, that she will get all the help she needs. The best experts who can train her to become a princess.

Not only can Countess Alexandra help, maybe Crown Princess Mary can help her too, since she was once her position long ago.

Very interesting point. I dare to assume that the protocol in Asian culture is as formal and rigid as in any European one.

So I guess she already knows how to behave on a top notch party and a formal dinner and only has to learn things she needs to know as a new Danish citizen.

Probably yes, but still I'm sure she'll need classes for mastering Danish, protocol, learning about Denmark's history, culture, economics... she must have started earlier with all these items, (as Máxima did before the announcing of her engagement)...but from now on everything will develop at WARP speed...

Though - in my opinion - she will have a less relevant role than Mary (who is the spouse of the Heir and future Queen consort) and therefore not the same expectations will be placed on her, the pressure must be enormous - after all she will be a Princess!

Probably yes, but still I'm sure she'll need classes for mastering Danish, protocol, learning about Denmark's history, culture, economics... she must have started earlier with all these items, (as Máxima did before the announcing of her engagement)...but from now on everything will develop at WARP speed...

Though - in my opinion - she will have a less relevant role than Mary (who is the spouse of the Heir and future Queen consort) and therefore not the same expectations will be placed on her, the pressure must be enormous - after all she will be a Princess!

That is true, but remember anything can happen to Prince Fredrick and Princess Mary, so they should prepare Marie just in case she is next in line, to be Queen of Denmark.

That is true, but remember anything can happen to Prince Fredrick and Princess Mary, so they should prepare Marie just in case she is next in line, to be Queen of Denmark.

If anything happens to Frederick and Mary, Christian will be next in line and after Christian, Isabella is in line. Only then comes Joachim which means that the chances for Marie becomming queen are tiny. Hopefully she never will - as that senario involves a terrible loss.

If I remember correctly, Mary's first Lady-in-Waiting was chosen because she was an older woman who spoke fluent English. She was able to help Mary when she needed help with her Danish. She was also, I believe, titled, so she could assist Mary if she had a question about protocol. I'd expect Marie would have someone similar.

Whilst I'm certain (as one can be) that nothing horrible shall befall either Frederik or Mary, there is no need to prepare Marie for the role of Queen Consort in the event that anything tragic should occur.​
Joahcim would act only as regent until Christian came of age and assumed the responsibilities of his sovereign office. Joachim would not be King, but govern on behalf of his nephew, whilst all the time remaining HRH The Prince Joachim of Denmark.

Whilst I'm certain (as one can be) that nothing horrible shall befall either Frederik or Mary, there is no need to prepare Marie for the role of Queen Consort in the event that anything tragic should occur.​
Joahcim would act only as regent until Christian came of age and assumed the responsibilities of his sovereign office. Joachim would not be King, but govern on behalf of his nephew, whilst all the time remaining HRH The Prince Joachim of Denmark.

Oh of course I wouldn't want anything happen to them, Crown Princess Mary is one of my favorite Princess. However, everyone has to understand that Prince Joachim is the fourth in line to the Throne. If anything happens, like abdication or death he will become King of Denmark. See anything can happen, its best to be prepared than sorry.

If anything happens to Frederick and Mary, Christian will be next in line and after Christian, Isabella is in line. Only then comes Joachim which means that the chances for Marie becoming queen are tiny. Hopefully she never will - as that senario involves a terrible loss.

I understand the rules of the future heir, but if you understood what I meant, I don't think Prince Christian at the age of 11 would become the future King of Denmark. I guess I have to ask the same question to my professor? (By the way she from Denmark and if anyone was wondering the class is called the History of Denmark and Sweden).

Last edited:
However, everyone has to understand that Prince Joachim is the fourth in line to the Throne. If anything happens, like abdication or death he will become King of Denmark.
If abdication or death occurred for Frederik, then the throne would be placed under Joachim's better judgement and governance until Christian comes of age. Joachim would not inherit the throne (thus remaining only a Prince) unless unforeseen circumstances occured for Frederik, Christian, Isabella and any other prospective children of that particular union. Then, and only then would Joachim become King.​
It's rather horrible to talk of really, and again, I'm positively certain no harm shall come to the Crown Princely family.​

Last edited:
If abdication or death occurred for Frederik, then the throne would be placed under Joachim's better judgement and governance until Christian comes of age. Joachim would not inherit the throne (thus remaining only a Prince) unless unforeseen circumstances occured for Frederik, Christian, Issabella and any other prospective children of that particular union. Then, and only then would Joachim become King.​
It's rather horrible to talk of really, and again, I'm positively certain no harm shall come to the Crown Princely family.​

You really think I want harm to go to the royal family, if only read what i said above,"Oh of course I wouldn't want anything happen to them, Crown Princess Mary is one of my favorite Princess."

I wonder how Marie's introduction to 'all things Danish' shall be conducted. Whether or not it shall be something similar to Mary's 'education'
i'm not so sure. Given Mary's position amongst the family is considerably different to that of Marie's, I could understand if an alternative course were taken.

Perhaps it won't be so 'exacting'and expectations won't be as high as they were with Mary. Infact, I think that already proven at the engagement press conference where Marie addressed the media in english.

Last edited:
Very interesting point. I dare to assume that the protocol in Asian culture is as formal and rigid as in any European one.

Surely, probably even more rigid as we can see with the Japanese rules of conduct when it comes to their Imperial family. But it's a different set of rules, that probably made the switch more difficult.

It wasn't my aim to discuss the line of succession. It wasn't my aim to discuss in which situation Marie will become Queen of Danmark...

Even as a "normal" Princess (and not as the CROWN-Princess) it will be necessary, that she will learn much about Danmark, the Danish history, etc...

But one question: We already have Countess Alexandra who will help Marie and maybe a Lady-in-Waiting and some Danish teacher, etc...
And we have Crownprincess Mary which Marie - she said it in the interview - met twice and the meetings weren't very intensive... Do they live at the same place? How often will they meet each other in the future? Is Crownprincess Mary one of the "real" teachers, we can name in combination with Marie's education or is it just the (romantic) hope - that Crownprincess Mary is so nice, that she will help Marie as often as possible?

What is about the Queen? What will she do to educate or train Marie?

I guess I have to ask the same question to my professor?

What a very good idea:) - and if you will share the answer with us here on TRF, I will be very glad. But of cause you don't have to:flowers:

I wonder how Marie's introduction to 'all things Danish' shall be conducted. Whether or not it shall be something similar to Mary's 'education'
i'm not so sure. Given Mary's position amongst the family is considerably different to that of Marie's, I could understand if an alternative course were taken.

Perhaps it won't be so 'exacting'and expectations won't be as high as they were with Mary. Infact, I think that already proven at the engagement press conference where Marie addressed the media in english.

I think - wether Marie is going to learn how to speak danish or not - depends upon the way she, Joachim and QMII defines her role. If she is going to be a housewife hardly without anny officile dutys, then speaking danish isn't nessesary. But if she is going to preform official dutys in a scale similary to Alexandra, IMO speaking danish is a must. Not because there is any formal rules on the issue but because danes are not good at welcoming foreigners, setteling in Denmark, if they don't speak the language. Her becomming a princess woun't change this attitude among danes - quit the opposite.

I think - wether Marie is going to learn how to speak danish or not - depends upon the way she, Joachim and QMII defines her role. If she is going to be a housewife hardly without anny officile dutys, then speaking danish isn't nessesary. But if she is going to preform official dutys in a scale similary to Alexandra, IMO speaking danish is a must. Not because there is any formal rules on the issue but because danes are not good at welcoming foreigners, setteling in Denmark, if they don't speak the language. Her becomming a princess woun't change this attitude among danes - quit the opposite.

Well... I read, that Marie will take over the whole "live" of Countess Alexandra. So the role is already defined. She won't be a "housewife".

For all those who want to inform themselves about the "line of succession" ...
Take a look here (german):
Thronfolge (Dänemark) - Wikipedia
or here (english):
Line of succession to the Danish Throne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think that Countess Alexandra is a person who will help Marie so often it will be possible.
Is Alexandra one of the "real" teachers, we can name in combination with Marie's education or is it just the (romantic) hope - that she is so nice, that she will help Marie as often as possible?
Marie didn't talk very friendly about Alexandra during the engagement interview although she already met her several times. Actually Alexandra seemed much more enthusiastic about their relationship than Marie - but then Alexandra always knew how to make things appear more positive than they really are. I personally think they will have a polite relationship but that will be all. I definitely don't see Alexandra as one of Marie's teachers. IMO neither would Marie want that nor would Alexandra take the trouble.

Marie didn't talk very friendly about Alexandra during the engagement interview although she already met her several times. Actually Alexandra seemed much more enthusiastic about their relationship than Marie - but then Alexandra always knew how to make things appear more positive than they really are. I personally think they will have a polite relationship but that will be all. I definitely don't see Alexandra as one of Marie's teachers. IMO neither would Marie want that nor would Alexandra take the trouble.

Marie didn't talk badly about Alexandra either. IMO Alexandra has every interest in the world to see Marie get settled in Denmark in the best possible way, as Marie is going to spend a lot of time with Alexandras children. That doesn't mean that Alexandra is going to teach Marie how to be a princess but it surely is in Alexandra interesst, that the stepmon of her children, can provide af secure and loving enviroment for Nicolai and Felix, when they are in the care of Joachim and Marie.

If one of the things necesssary for creating such an inviroment, is for Marie not to feel a huge an overshadowing pressure (because of the role as princess), it will only be natural for Alexandra to give her the best advise she can give - if asked. On the other hand Alexandra has to have a sense of propriety as she can't just mix herselfe up in the new marrige of her former husband like Joachim can't mix himselfe up in her marrige with Martin.

Last edited:
I didn't say Alexandra has no interest that Marie settles well and gets along well with her sons. But this thread is about Marie in princess school, who is teaching Marie to become a princess? I don't see Alexandra (or Mary) teaching Marie how to be a princess. This is really just a romantic idea IMO.
It might be possible that Alexandra gives her advice if she is asked. But I personally have the feeling Marie is not going to ask her. And considering how things turned out I wonder whether Alexandra is the right person to give advice. :)

For all those who want to inform themselves about the "line of succession" ...
Take a look here (german):
Thronfolge (Dänemark) - Wikipedia
or here (english):
Line of succession to the Danish Throne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the links. I just want to add, that the system of male-preference is going to be changed. It will be a part of the formal procedures included in the upcomming election to parlament at the 13th of november this year. After that date there will be no gender-preference.

I didn't say Alexandra has no interest that Marie settles well and gets along well with her sons. But this thread is about Marie in princess school, who is teaching Marie to become a princess? I don't see Alexandra (or Mary) teaching Marie how to be a princess. This is really just a romantic idea IMO.
It might be possible that Alexandra gives her advice if she is asked. But I personally have the feeling Marie is not going to ask her. And considering how things turned out I wonder whether Alexandra is the right person to give
advice. :)

Wether Marie is going to ask Alexandra for advice or not, niether of us knows - only Marie. Considering how things turned out - Alexandra might be exactly the right person to ask.

Anyway I agree. The idea of her an Mary teaching Marie to become a princess is more of a romantic idea than a realistic one.

Wether Marie is going to ask Alexandra for advice or not, niether of us knows - only Marie. Considering how things turned out - Alexandra might be exactly the right person to ask.

Anyway I agree. The idea of her an Mary teaching Marie to become a princess is more of a romantic idea than a realistic one.

I doubt either of them would actually sit down and give her the tips & tricks of princess-ship (is that a word?;)) but I would expect that she would pick up something from conversation with one or the other of them. I'm sure the Queen will give her some advice, as will Joachim.

I don't dispute that society in Hong Kong is very different from its Danish counterpart, but I don't think behaving at a "top notch party" or a formal dinner is something that people from Hong Kong aren't used to, especially someone with Alexandra's background. As a former British colony which was at Alexandra's time (and arguably still is) a very cosmopolitan city with a lot of European influence, a high class party or formal dinner in the "Western" tradition isn't exactly alien to people from Hong Kong. I think it's more important to point out Alexandra's transition into royal life, rather than "upper class" life. Furthermore, while Marie grew up as an upper middle class, or upper class, woman, I don't think that's quite the same thing as running in aristocratic/royal circles, and I don't think her upbringing necessarily prepares her for the royal life, which is arguably very different from simply living a wealthy person's lifestyle.

I don't dispute that society in Hong Kong is very different from its Danish counterpart, but I don't think behaving at a "top notch party" or a formal dinner is something that people from Hong Kong aren't used to, especially someone with Alexandra's background. As a former British colony which was at Alexandra's time (and arguably still is) a very cosmopolitan city with a lot of European influence, a high class party or formal dinner in the "Western" tradition isn't exactly alien to people from Hong Kong. I think it's more important to point out Alexandra's transition into royal life, rather than "upper class" life. Furthermore, while Marie grew up as an upper middle class, or upper class, woman, I don't think that's quite the same thing as running in aristocratic/royal circles, and I don't think her upbringing necessarily prepares her for the royal life, which is arguably very different from simply living a wealthy person's lifestyle.

Actually, it's quite possible that Marie had/has aristocratic friends, given the schools she went to. Obviously, Marie was well connected, as she attended a party that Prince Joachim did AND her father did business with Prince Henrik.

And I agree that neither Alexandra or Mary will be giving Marie tips on becoming a princess. Just doesn't sound realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom