General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 6: January 2021 - December 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Marie attended the opening of a new exhibition in Paris last week and answered a few questions from Paris Match:

About whether she’ll still be in Paris in 2024: “I live a little day by day, we don't know yet. It's always been like that.

About whether the rumors of a move to Washington D.C were false: “Nothing has been confirmed, nothing has been announced, so [the rumor] does not come from us. There are always changes, after the end of something there is a new beginning somewhere.”

Q: The last few months have been special, with the removal of the princely titles of your husband's four children, including your children Athena and Henrik. Has the situation calmed down with your in-laws?
A: We are a very united family and we are doing very well. Thank you.

https://www.parismatch.com/royal-bl...ie-de-danemark-coupe-court-aux-rumeurs-222242

...The thing about DC isn't confirmed? :blink: I'm so confused.

Marie's line about a "very united family" is quite slick, but she does not say of whom the very united family consists...

Sounds as if the DC offer might have been revoked...

Sounds as if the DC offer might have been revoked...

Or given the Queen's health issues the situation has changed. Until we know what's going on, we won't know what's going on.

...The thing about DC isn't confirmed? :blink: I'm so confused.

Marie's line about a "very united family" is quite slick, but she does not say of whom the very united family consists...

Me too.

I thought it was pretty much a done deal they were going to USA.

Me too.

I thought it was pretty much a done deal they were going to USA.

Maybe things are happening bts that would require them to remain close to or back in Denmark.

It was never confirmed by the Royal house.
Only BT, and our favorite journalist friend, via independent sources
https://www.bt.dk/royale/bt-afsloerer-prins-joachim-scorer-job-i-usa

Joachim did say the Paris job "stops this summer" and also the embassy job for Marie
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...og-prinsesse-marie-forlader-deres-job-i-paris

- Everyone asks that - and yes, I know what I want. And the right bodies, authorities and people also know what I want. I'm just waiting for the phone to ring and they say "Go", says Prince Joachim.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...achim-nu-venter-jeg-bare-paa-telefonen-ringer

but yes, Joachim never said D.C.

Was Joachim at mother's side during her today's back surgery?

:previous: Why? Not saying I think he should have been by her side. But a procedure doesn't need to be life-threatening for it to be nicest for both patient and relatives to have the relatives nearby for when the patient comes out of recovery.

I don't think it would've been particularly concerning if Joachim had wanted to sit tight as his 82-year old mother underwent extensive surgery.

Where I live in USA, the hospitals still have very strict rules on visiting, surgery or just visits. One person is allowed to be with the patient. This is because of the respiratory illnesses and Covid still. maybe there are hospital rules we don’t know of that is why Joachim is not there, perhaps the Queen did not want to make a big issue of surgery and requested limited number of people coming to the hospital. More royals means more security….so many whys and ifs. I do hope the back surgery was successful.

:previous: The COVID visitation limits have been lifted a long time ago in Danish hospitals.

Why would Joachim - or any other - be there?
There is nothing anyone can do anyway. Such a procedure may very well take hours, including preparation. And QMII won't even know what planet she is on for hours afterwards.

Better to visit before the operation and otherwise stay at home near a phone.
I guess a couple of relatives went to see her briefly last night and that's it.

Mr Muhler, I read in Marie et Joachim centerblog that they have money problems. They sold their house at Montauroux (Var France) in 2022.
They have a lot of coasts with their Big House in Denmark and have to pay their appartment in Paris. Is that true ?

:previous: It could indeed be true - if J&M were in the habit of lighting their candles at home with 1.000 € notes.

I've heard no indications of their economy being bad. The villa they sold was an investment, because AFAIK they have never stayed there themselves but rented it out.
And their house in Copenhagen is also rented out, so costs for heating, electricity and so on is not something J&M have to cover and they get a a monthly rent. Whether that rent is enough to cover all expenses of having the house, is of course an open question. But they can always sell, so no big deal.

To sum up: I think their economy is fine.

We finally have news about the future of Prince Joachim and his family.
A statement published on the Royal website today says that: "On 1 September 2023, His Royal Highness Prince Joachim will take up a new position under the Ministry of Defense as Defense Industry Attaché at the Danish Embassy in Washington D.C., where the Prince, as Denmark's representative, in the coming years will help strengthen the defense industry cooperation with the USA and Canada.
Four years ago, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie moved to France together with the couple's two children when Prince Joachim started attending France's highest-ranking military training course following the Prince's years long involvement with the Armed Forces. After graduation, both the Prince and Princess were attached to the Danish Embassy in Paris as Defense Attaché and Special Cultural Representative respectively.
Prince Joachim and the family will move to Washington D.C. during the summer of 2023"

I think the path is set for Joachim and Marie, and I think this is a neat solution. As long as they want, he can keep get these roles as Defense Industry Attache in some of the leading capitals of the world. Marie can carry out some culturtal engagements. This should allow them both to get the space to have fulfilling careers.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are fast! :flowers:

He will also be acting defense attache/military attache.

That is quite a promotion!
Because DK will be buying lots of weapons over the coming years, and there will also be a lot of cooperation between US and Danish producers and developers of weapons and especially components to weapons, including software. Joachim will in many ways act a contact, liaison, trouble shooter and the one who will approach US companies on behalf of Danish companies.

Joachim will still carry out some jobs for the DRF, time permitting. (In the eyes of the government this, Joachim the attache, is way more important than Joachim the Prince showing up for something.) As such the PM, Mette Frederiksen, will ensure that Joachim keeps his apanage while working at the embassy in USA. The bill will be proposed next week, and such a bill always pass. There is a long standing traditions for bills regarding the DRF automatically being passed in the Parliament.

Last edited:
The Danish version of the announcement:

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/d-k-h-prins-joachim-og-prinsesse-marie-flytter-til-washington-d-c

From the prince's interview last November:

Surprising news: Prince Joachim and Princess Marie are leaving their jobs in Paris

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...og-prinsesse-marie-forlader-deres-job-i-paris

It's a fantastic job, but it stops here this summer, it does, Prince Joachim explains over the phone.
- That is why I am also happy to have been able to help start an industrial rapprochement between Denmark and France in the area of ​​defense, which has already really gained momentum. A momentum which of course I seek to spread as long as I am here and as long as my footprint can be left on it, explains Prince Joachim, who, despite the fact that he is already stopping now, is in the process of preparing for a major event within the defense industry for next year.
Because as he says:
- It's not something you just leave behind. It must be kept going and forged while the iron is hot.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/prins-joachim-vi-flytter-fra-frankrig
When asked whether the prince already knows whether he and his family will stay in France after he has stopped at the embassy, ​​Prince Joachim replies:
- No, it won't be France.

Are you moving to Denmark?
- We will see, is the answer from Prince Joachim

More from the interview
"And there are new and exciting challenges ahead, says Prince Joachim, when BILLED-BLADET asks him if he already knows what will happen.
- Everyone asks that - and yes, I know what I want. And the right bodies, authorities and people also know what I want. I'm just waiting for the phone to ring and to say "Go", says Prince Joachim.

Will it be within the military?
- Yes, I would hope so, says Prince Joachim, who does not wish to elaborate further. "

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...achim-nu-venter-jeg-bare-paa-telefonen-ringer

Are we to understand that the authorities approved what he "knew he wanted"? It is interesting that he is now much more enthusiastic about the overseas role in comparison to his and his wife's interviews several years ago.

It will be interesting to see what role Princess Marie takes up in the United States, as the announcement does not mention it.

Are there indications of how long this posting will last? In my opinion, while the couple's children are no longer Prince/ss to Denmark, they remain members of the Royal House of Denmark and in line to the throne of Denmark and so it would be preferable for them to be raised in Denmark, or at least maintain a strong connection with their country. And on a personal level, they have not yet had the stability of permanently settling in one country.

Last edited:
Just what I thought.

Another job served to him on a silver tablet ("I know what I want and I told Mother to arrange it for me").
Who came up with that nonsense that an American company offered him a job?

And I am willing to bet money that they will keep their apanage.

Last edited:
Just what I thought.

Another job served to him on a silver tablet ("I know what I want and I told Mother to arrange it for me").

And I am willing to bet money that they will keep their apanage.

It could be argued that he is entiled to keep his apanage as he continues to serve Denmark.

Yes, that's always the argument.
The question is why not give the job to somebody else who costs less?

Though, from the royalist point of view it's probably a good decision. I said years ago that the military would be the best solution for Denmark's Prince of Arrogance. He really isn't good for anything else.

Regarding Prince Joachim's public funding the Prime Minister will put forward a proposal to Parliament next week for them to vote on if Prince Joachim will get to keep his appanage or not while working in the USA.
Added to that §11 of the Danish Constitution states that a member of the Royal family requires special permission by Parliament to keep their appanage while living abroad there's also the term in §2 of the law of 1995 regarding his appanage that he can't hold a salaried public position and receive his appanage at the same time.
Today's statement by the Prime Minister:
https://www.stm.dk/presse/pressemeddelelser/beslutningsforslag-om-aarpenge-til-hkh-prins-joachim-1/
Law of 1995:
https://www.retsinformation.dk/eli/lta/1995/1119
Danish Constitution:
https://www.retsinformation.dk/eli/lta/1953/169

Last edited:
Just what I thought.

I do think that this is an arrangement that his mother and/or other well connected people made for him.

On the other hand: even though he may be a spoiled brat, he also has a relevant military education, speaks several languages and probably has a good network with relevant contacts. So it's not a match made in hell. He will probably be able to do something with his life that is actually relevant.

Yes, that's always the argument.
The question is why not give the job to somebody else who costs less?

Though, from the royalist point of view it's probably a good decision. I said years ago that the military would be the best solution for Denmark's Prince of Arrogance. He really isn't good for anything else.

Come on. Do you need to call him Prince of Arrogance?

It's not serious and any arguments you present are as such instantly dismissed as deeply biased.

-------------

The editor in chief of very serious defense media Olfi, Peter Ernstved, does not consider this a promotion for Joachim. He claims that Joachim will get a lot less responsibility and influence compared to the French posting.

Now, I have a lot of respect for Peter Ernstved, his expertise and assessments, so that's a noteworthy perspective I will keep in mind.

I will assume that Joachim now needs to build up contact and knowledge in USA. Being fluent in French and having completed the most prestigious staff-course in France will no doubt have opened a lot of doors to Joachim in France. But in USA he will have to open the doors himself, so I suppose he may be an apprentice so to speak first, before moving up. In which case J&M are probably destined to stay in USA for at least five years.
Anyway, they won't send a man who is incompetent to USA and certainly not now.

So the "rumors" were true, even though Marie tried to throw us off the trial ;);)
This post aligns with Joachim's expertise and training. I hope they find it a good fit and can be happy in D.C.

Come on. Do you need to call him Prince of Arrogance?

It's not serious and any arguments you present are as such instantly dismissed as deeply biased.

-------------

The editor in chief of very serious defense media Olfi, Peter Ernstved, does not consider this a promotion for Joachim. He claims that Joachim will get a lot less responsibility and influence compared to the French posting.

Now, I have a lot of respect for Peter Ernstved, his expertise and assessments, so that's a noteworthy perspective I will keep in mind.

I will assume that Joachim now needs to build up contact and knowledge in USA. Being fluent in French and having completed the most prestigious staff-course in France will no doubt have opened a lot of doors to Joachim in France. But in USA he will have to open the doors himself, so I suppose he may be an apprentice so to speak first, before moving up. In which case J&M are probably destined to stay in USA for at least five years.
Anyway, they won't send a man who is incompetent to USA and certainly not now.

Thanks for your insights, Muhler but I am fascinated that the Canadian portion of HRH Prince Joachim new assignment is not included in your writing. La belle province de Québec is home to the largest French speaking city outside France and I believe Montréal is also where the prince spent his honeymoon with Princesse Marie! I think the Prince will do well in North America and I will watch closely to see what he achieves here. :flowers:

A statement from Joachim

"- My family and I look forward to our future existence in Washington. It has been a privilege to be posted to Denmark to promote Danish interests in France. Now we are turning our focus to America, where I will contribute to Denmark's transatlantic cooperation in the defense industry, says an expectant Prince Joachim."
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...anske-eventyr-min-familie-og-jeg-ser-frem-til

from the government regarding Joachim's appanage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom