The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-18-2021, 03:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
When you say you think he has to explain himself, what do you think is at risk if he doesn't?
(1)

Do you think his comments (or his silence) jeopardize the entire DRF? Or is it more that it hurts his popularity and potentially the willingness of Danes to continue paying his appanage?
(2)

I'm still trying to understand how and why Joachim's status became so controversial. I get that some people may question whether his contributions to society are worth what he receives in the appanage. But, there seems to be another layer to all this. Is there a concern that the royal court is mistreating him? Or, is there a sense that he's just pouting because he doesn't get enough attention?
(3)

Or maybe there's something else I'm missing? (And again, I'm not taking issue with anything anyone has written. I'm just trying to delve into it a little and understand things better.)
Okay.

I've added numbers to your post for ease.

(1) Public animosity towards Joachim.
For various reasons Joachim IMO is not a man who is easy to like. You have to look closely at the man. - He is not folksy like his brother, and I dare say father as well, who got on with most people on a personal level.
QMII has for most of her life been much more respected that liked as a person. - And I'm a Jutlander, so words like "like" are pretty big.
So when Joachim voice misgivings about something it is by many seen as complaining, whining if you prefer.
So yes, unless Joachim explains himself well, it will reinforce a negative view, many (unfortunately) have of him.
PH had the same problem. He sometimes "complained" about something. Mostly his status. But when he got the chance to explain himself, many could see that he at least had a point in a number of ways. - Like why shouldn't he get his own apanage? What was his role, apart from fathering an heir and a spare?
There were however also a number of cases, where he IMO really was whining for no particular reason than his own vanity.
But at least he explained himself and that helped changed the public view of him - big time!

(2) It will not influence the other DRF members. I dare say on the contrary. - You always look better yourself, when compared to someone who is seen in a negative light.
M&F have taken over. They are running the show now. They are the de facto Regent Couple. Mary is deeply respected and well liked. Frederik is at the top in regards to his personal popularity.
QMII sits in the background ad the grandmother of the nation. She has been around since forever and is a s close to being publicly venerated as I think you get in DK.
- Nothing Joachim does will change that.

Joachim is not particularly popular. The polls are universal and clear on that.
And when a not particularly popular man takes a job in France, even though it's on behalf of his country, many will be more inclined to say, he shouldn't get an apanage while having that job, since it pretty much prevents him from working for the DRF.
Personally I find that to be a very unfair view but that's my opinion.
So yes, it brings up the question of the his apanage.
The amount is relatively trivial IMO, but easy to relate to, especially if you have a negative view of someone. No work, no pay.

(3) There sure is a broad public view that Joachim is pouting. Again IMO mainly based in his popularity.
Not because he's not getting enough attention, I don't think that's a general view shared by critics of Joachim, more that he acts spoiled, I'd say.
Since I'm a supporter of Joachim, I do not think he has been mistreated by the court.
He may, inadvertently, have been rolled over by the court, in the sense that he faced a de factor order to go to France, rather than presented with an opportunity. But that is of course speculation.
So at worst I'd say the court, and that's mainly QMII, has been thoughtless. In a similar manner as the court was perhaps sometimes thoughtless in regards to PH.
People's feelings matter, even if you from the outside find it trivial.
I think hurt feelings, in one way or another, may also be a plausible explanation for Joachim expressing his misgivings in an interview.

- I hope that made sense.

Old 08-18-2021, 03:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not directed at anyone, but is it really so easy to ignore in all this the fact he came very close to dying or being paralyzed last year?

It doesn't seem surprising at all if he is still trying to work everything out.

Old 08-18-2021, 03:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Not directed at anyone, but is it really so easy to ignore in all this the fact he came very close to dying or being paralyzed last year?

I think it's more than likely that he is thinking about his life, and where he is in his life, and what he wants to do with his life from now on.
I would be only natural that he after his illness would be taking stock of his situation.

But also in regards to his age. It's very common to stop up in middle life and think back, and see what have you done and what haven't you done? And what about your dreams? The midlife crisis, as it's often termed.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post

That's sort of similar to excuse Henrik's outbursts with his dementia. Joachim began voicing his dissatisfaction long before his stroke and his more recent comments are really just a continuation of what he and Marie have spoken of before. So in that sense, I think it's a bit rich to want the press to stop asking for elaborations on his own statements because of the stroke.

Old 08-18-2021, 04:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

As I recall there was no event in the middle of Henrik's dementia which would have caused shock or serious life re-assessment. So I can't see the situations as comparable.

Joachim may not have been happy or settled before, but the events of last year are not particularly likely to have helped.
Old 08-18-2021, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, their situations are comparable in the sense that both Henrik and Joachim voiced their dissatisfaction prior to their illnesses as well. And so I'd consider it it's pretty unreasonable to want to be cut slack on the basis of the stroke for continuing to make comments on his situation that are very much in line with the comments he made before the stroke.

The last interview and Joachim's subsequent refusal to elaborate may have been what tipped the press over the edge but I think the public frustration is rooted in an accumulation of the situations regarding and comments made by Joachim for the past many years – dating back long before his stroke.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:28 AM
Majesty

Again comparing Prince Henrik dementia with Joachim's dissasfaction ! Boaring !!

To me it is a happy Couple , Marie managed well with Joachim's 4 Children. She was lovely attending her last Danish engagements.

The Picture with the Queen at Cayx seems is a happy one .

Never critics about Frederic and Mary . I have but will not written them.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:50 AM
Nobility

As of October 1, Marie becomes Special Cultural Representative at the Danish Embassy in Paris. This post on the DRF IG gives a detailed description of Marie's new role plus a quote from Marie.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUfIIc-j...dium=copy_link

Press Release from the DRF website
https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/hk...rrepraesentant
Old 10-01-2021, 10:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
That's sort of similar to excuse Henrik's outbursts with his dementia. Joachim began voicing his dissatisfaction long before his stroke and his more recent comments are really just a continuation of what he and Marie have spoken of before. So in that sense, I think it's a bit rich to want the press to stop asking for elaborations on his own statements because of the stroke.
As far as I recall Henrik complained about being only a prince etc before he became ill iwht dementia. But when his mental state got bad, he had a few outbursts.. I think that since Joachim has been ill, it problaby has affected him emotionally/mentally
Old 10-01-2021, 10:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie View Post
As of October 1, Marie becomes Special Cultural Representative at the Danish Embassy in Paris. This post on the DRF IG gives a detailed description of Marie's new role plus a quote from Marie.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUfIIc-j...dium=copy_link

Press Release from the DRF website
https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/hk...rrepraesentant
I hope this new role will give the princess fulfillment and help the family settle better in Paris. It seems like a role that is fitting for a Danish princess of French origin. I did notice them mentioning her networking 'skills'. My take is that those 'skills' suddenly increased the moment she married a Danish prince.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:34 PM
Majesty

"In connection with the announcement, Her Royal Highness states the following:
I am both proud and honored to have the opportunity to be part of the new focus area. The job description falls within the focus I have had in recent years on the cooperation between Danish and French actors, and my family and I have now settled in well in Paris, so it is a perfect timing. It was therefore only natural for me to seize the opportunity. In my new role, I look forward to continuing to look after Danish interests - especially in the field of culture - in the coming years. ”

That is good to hear. She is perfect for the role.
And I do hope it was she that decided
Old 10-01-2021, 02:09 PM
Nobility

So with both Joachim and Marie having positions with the Danish Embassy in Paris, does that mean that they are not considered as full time working royals? I am not sure how it works with the DRF. Also, would this affect her work with her patronages?

It does sound like this position is a good fit for her and her interests and it seems she is excited and looking forward to this new position.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
So with both Joachim and Marie having positions with the Danish Embassy in Paris, does that mean that they are not considered as full time working royals? I am not sure how it works with the DRF. Also, would this affect her work with her patronages?

It does sound like this position is a good fit for her and her interests and it seems she is excited and looking forward to this new position.
That has been discussed a lot.
Well, IMO Joachim can't be a full time working royal at the moment. In the sense of him working for the DRF, rather than his country.
That would basically require him taking time off from work to do something for the DRF. Or do it in his holidays.
As for our Marie. Well, now that Joachim has settled in his job, and they have settled in their life in Paris, she will have more time to occasionally shuttle back to DK to do some work, mainly for her protections.
There are of course some logistic problems, but with the children at school most of the day, they are not insurmountable. And she may be able to arrange for relatives or a nanny to help - and now perhaps also Nikolai from time to time.

I won't put too much emphasis in Marie's position at the embassy. Considering her background and the fact that she is an experienced Princess, I find it natural to use these assets in the Danish-French relationship.
On a personal level, it also gives her something to do, rather than being a royal housewife. I believe that matters a great deal to her.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:13 PM
Nobility

Muhler - am I wrong to assume that now that Marie is also at the Embassy that there a clarification as to their roles within the DRF? If that make sense. I know there had been some interviews or statements from them about how they did not have defined roles or something along those lines. Almost as if there was a limbo as to where they fit within the DRF moving forward (especially given how it is more and more M&F running the show).

But now with both settling in with jobs at the Embassy and solidifying their lives in Paris, it seems pretty clear they will not play active roles...at least for the foreseeable future...other than seeing them maybe at a state dinner or public family event, etc.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Muhler - am I wrong to assume that now that Marie is also at the Embassy that there a clarification as to their roles within the DRF? If that make sense. I know there had been some interviews or statements from them about how they did not have defined roles or something along those lines. Almost as if there was a limbo as to where they fit within the DRF moving forward (especially given how it is more and more M&F running the show).

But now with both settling in with jobs at the Embassy and solidifying their lives in Paris, it seems pretty clear they will not play active roles...at least for the foreseeable future...other than seeing them maybe at a state dinner or public family event, etc.
It does make sense.

I don't know to be honest. One commentator (in BT) puts a lot of emphasis into the new job as being a statement of J&M having listened to the public polls and the criticism and that they here show that they do work for their money - i.e. apanage.
Again, appointing our Marie to this position is IMO a natural thing to do, considering her position and background and the fact that she is available and in residence.
Personally I don't think there more into it than that.
Could be wrong of course.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
It does make sense.

I don't know to be honest. One commentator (in BT) puts a lot of emphasis into the new job as being a statement of J&M having listened to the public polls and the criticism and that they here show that they do work for their money - i.e. apanage.
Again, appointing our Marie to this position is IMO a natural thing to do, considering her position and background and the fact that she is available and in residence.
Personally I don't think there more into it than that.
Could be wrong of course.
It might be a combination of quite a few things maybe. Marie is a natural fit for this position, it may help to show that they are working and earning their apanage and it helps to clarify where they stand within the DRF at the moment and moving forward. It could just have all been good timing on all fronts. Marie's statement seemed to show that she is excited/happy about this new position and looks forward to this new chapter for them.
Old 10-02-2021, 05:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Excited to see what this role will entail because at first glance, it sounds slightly insignificant to me. A bit more like a patronage than an actual job and yes, definitely an attempt at damage control from the DRF.

But I am happy for Marie that they've finally found something for her to do. I've always felt that she took the brunt of the relocation by having to just follow along to Paris as, essentially, a stay-at-home mum. I really don't blame her for having been frustrated about that.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Prince Joachim and Princess Marie have given an interview about their life in Paris to Danish magazine Berlingske out today.

The interview is obviously approved by the Palace this time, as it was announced by the Palace as well:

"Now I have a new dimension to the royal role: to be sent out (...) And it is a pleasure to be able to do something for Denmark in a different way."

** instagram post **

** berlingske: Eksklusivt interview med prins Joachim og prinsesse Marie: »Vi har ikke bestemt, hvad der skal ske efter Paris« **
Old 01-02-2022, 05:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Another one?

It's behind a paywall though.
If they say something remotely controversial BT is going to write about it, so I suggest our newsdiggers keep an eye on BT.dk.
BB is going to pick up on this as well, but the personal bits only.

If they say something that is controversial it's gonna be all over the news later today. On this dull Sunday after New Year.

If there is nothing elsewhere, it means they don't say anything interesting. But that would be unusual for a Berlingske interview.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:15 AM
Heir Apparent

The DRF posting about the article makes me think it's extremely non-controversial and something the DRF's press department has had a fairly large hand in.

Without having read the interview, it sounds to me like the DRF has finally gotten around to addressing some of the statements that made J&M's interviews last year controversial. Them using a quote about his role within the firm to promote the interview especially feels like a statement in itself. Only problem about that, to me, is that a follow-up interview like this should've been done a lot sooner after the controversial interviews last. Another example of how the DRF (namely their press department) is completely inept at damage control.