General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 5: September 2019 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is indeed interesting to know how they traveled back to Paris (and how they travel to Denamrk to begin with).
I'm not certain on the travel restrictions if any France has at the moment. If the family will have to quarantine for some time after traveling from abroad.
With Henrik's health issues with asthma I hope the traveling and moving about doesn't affect him.
I wonder if Marie and the kids could have stayed in the larger space of Schackenborg for a few more weeks before traveling back with Joachim.

It is indeed interesting to know how they traveled back to Paris (and how they travel to Denamrk to begin with).
I'm not certain on the travel restrictions if any France has at the moment. If the family will have to quarantine for some time after traveling from abroad.
With Henrik's health issues with asthma I hope the traveling and moving about doesn't affect him.
I wonder if Marie and the kids could have stayed in the larger space of Schackenborg for a few more weeks before traveling back with Joachim.

I think travel to France depends on your own country's government guidelines. Here in the UK, for example, the government advises against travel to France and other countries for that matter, too, unless it's essential. Those already travelling or working/living abroad are encouraged to return to the UK immediately if they can. I'd presume the travel measures have been more relaxed now in Denmark as Joachim and his family are already back in Paris.

I think travel to France depends on your own country's government guidelines. Here in the UK, for example, the government advises against travel to France and other countries for that matter, too, unless it's essential. Those already travelling or working/living abroad are encouraged to return to the UK immediately if they can. I'd presume the travel measures have been more relaxed now in Denmark as Joachim and his family are already back in Paris.

The Danish border is still closed - to foreigners, with the exception of foreigners working in DK foreigners delivering goods.
But Danes can freely travel in and out, provided they can get into whatever country they go to. And are the French borders closed?
If they are, can foreigners with a residence permit get in?
And are they indeed required to quarantine?
I guess someone like Joachim will be able to gain entry to France, despite restrictions. There are after all perks in being a royal.

The travels from Paris to Denmark and later from Denmark to Paris were strange.
I think the Children were not used to French schools and don't want to miss 2 months.
For their short stay in Denmark they should have stay in Amalienburg without moving!

The Danish border is still closed - to foreigners, with the exception of foreigners working in DK foreigners delivering goods.
But Danes can freely travel in and out, provided they can get into whatever country they go to. And are the French borders closed?
If they are, can foreigners with a residence permit get in?
And are they indeed required to quarantine?
I guess someone like Joachim will be able to gain entry to France, despite restrictions. There are after all perks in being a royal.

The lockdown has ended in France since yesterday Monday 11 May and the schools have reopened.
No quarantine is required for foreigners arriving but as everyone else they are asked to respect social distanciations and precautionary rules ( wearing masks and/or gloves...)

:previous: Thanks. ?

So we can expect Henrik and Athena to have returned to school, no later than today.

When do the French schools close for the summer holiday?

The schools are set to close on July 4th for now.
Though It may change in the near future if the number of coronavirus cases soar again.

Thanks, and in case they stay in France, when do the schools open after the summer holiday?

In DK it's about a week or two into August.

Very negative french posts about their return !

If they don't want their children missing french schools means they they intend to stay next year in France.

Very negative french posts about their return !

If they don't want their children missing french schools means they they intend to stay next year in France.

The children now attend French schools, so one would expect them to be back in France now that the schools there have reopened.

The travels from Paris to Denmark and later from Denmark to Paris were strange.
I think the Children were not used to French schools and don't want to miss 2 months.
For their short stay in Denmark they should have stay in Amalienburg without moving!
I think everything is very "touch & go" for the moment. Maybe they though the lockdown in France will be extended (so the move would make sense), but in the end it was not, so they decided to go back?

Thanks, and in case they stay in France, when do the schools open after the summer holiday?

In DK it's about a week or two into August.

It's on September 1st this year.

Thank you, Polyesco.

And according to the papers this morning Joachim is very vague in regards to their future and whether they will return to DK.

I will buy BB today and translate that part of the interview here.

FOLLOW UP.

Okay, I have the magazine and I have read the interview, which is very much about how the family is coping and thinking in regards to Corona and the worries they have.
We also get to know the children a little better.

It's Trine Larsen who did the interview, so it's informative and correct.

I'll write a more general summary later. (Along with scans.)

But let's get to the most important bit, the future.

I will write the replies in Danish and translated to English.

Q: When You are finished at Ecole Militaire is it then the plan that the family go to Denmark?
J: Hvem ved? Hvad fremtiden byder på, er det nok for tidligt at sige noget om. Der kan ske så meget og jeg holder optionerne åbne. Så tager vi den derfra.

- "Who knows? It's probably too early to say something about what the future holds in store. So much can happen and I keep the options open. Then we'll take it from there."

Q: The education You take now, could perhaps lead to a job abroad?
J: Det kunne det måske... - Lad mig sige det sådan at i disse Conrontider ved vi ingenting. Alt kan ændre sig. Der kan ske så meget.
M: Ja, vi ved ingenting. Det er der vel ikke rigtig nogen, der ved, før vi alle sammen får en nogenlunde normal hverdag igen. Det håber jeg, sker snart. For alle mennesker.

J: "It might... - Let me put it like this that we don't know anything in these Corona-times. Everything can change. So much can happen."
M: "Yes, we know nothing. There really aren't anyone who does, until we all have a semblance of a normal day-to-day life again. I hope that will be soon. For everyone."

Last edited:
FOLLOW UP.

Okay, I have the magazine and I have read the interview, which is very much about how the family is coping and thinking in regards to Corona and the worries they have.
We also get to know the children a little better.

It's Trine Larsen who did the interview, so it's informative and correct.

I'll write a more general summary later. (Along with scans.)

But let's get to the most important bit, the future.

I will write the replies in Danish and translated to English.

Q: When You are finished at Ecole Militaire is it then the plan that the family go to Denmark?
J: Hvem ved? Hvad fremtiden byder på, er det nok for tidligt at sige noget om. Der kan ske så meget og jeg holder optionerne åbne. Så tager vi den derfra.

- "Who knows? It's probably too early to say something about what the future holds in store. So much can happen and I keep the options open. Then we'll take it from there."

Q: The education You take now, could perhaps lead to a job abroad?
J: Det kunne det måske... - Lad mig sige det sådan at i disse Conrontider ved vi ingenting. Alt kan ændre sig. Der kan ske så meget.
M: Ja, vi ved ingenting. Det er der vel ikke rigtig nogen, der ved, før vi alle sammen får en nogenlunde normal hverdag igen. Det håber jeg, sker snart. For alle mennesker.

J: "It might... - Let me put it like this that we don't know anything in these Corona-times. Everything can change. So much can happen."
M: "Yes, we know nothing. There really aren't anyone who does, until we all have a semblance of a normal day-to-day life again. I hope that will be soon. For everyone."

The lack of a straight answer clearly indicates that things in the future, COVID notwithstanding, could be substantially different for Jaochim and family than they have been in the past, and living abroad is a real possibility.

That's indeed a pretty clear indication that they don't intend to return to Denmark (if that were the case, there wouldn't be a need to avoid saying that); however, they seem to understand that the situation might 'force' them to return to Denmark instead of their desired stay abroad.

The lack of a straight answer clearly indicates that things in the future, COVID notwithstanding, could be substantially different for Jaochim and family than they have been in the past, and living abroad is a real possibility.

One wonders why it is a real possibility now but not in 1995 or 2008. A move to live in his spouse's country upon marriage, as did both of the Queen's sisters, would have spared his wives the necessity of ending their careers and uprooting their lives to move to Denmark and become working royals.

That's indeed a pretty clear indication that they don't intend to return to Denmark (if that were the case, there wouldn't be a need to avoid saying that); however, they seem to understand that the situation might 'force' them to return to Denmark instead of their desired stay abroad.

Not necessarily; he may simply not want to prematurely close the door on remaining abroad even if it is most likely that they will return to Denmark.

Not necessarily; he may simply not want to prematurely close the door on remaining abroad even if it is most likely that they will return to Denmark.

In that case, a 'we expect to return to Denmark but of course these are uncertain times, so you never know' would be a more likely answer imho. As in that case 'returning to Denmark' would be the base case; and if things turn out differently, they still can explain why they pursued that option at that time.

One wonders why it is a real possibility now but not in 1995 or 2008. A move to live in his spouse's country upon marriage, as did both of the Queen's sisters, would have spared his wives the necessity of ending their careers and uprooting their lives to move to Denmark and become working royals.

or maybe he wants to show solidarity with Harry Sussex and the school of second sons! Although the celebrity attached to British royals is, I think, distinctly lacking in their Danish counterparts, Prince Joachim must indeed wish for his family the anonymity of being 'just like everyone else' and not subject his children to the burdens of being Royal.

Commentators here in DK are in agreement with your comments.

It is not a headline news as it was when it was announced they would move to France, so it's my impression that it is no surprise to the media and the public.

I cannot interpret this as meaning anything else than that there are specific plans for Joachim to take on a job (provided he passes the examinations) abroad. But that there isn't a final OK yet. Presumably from the government, specifically the Foreign Ministry and/or the Ministry of Defense. - (Because things and priorities can of course change.)
And that the family expects to spend at least some years stationed abroad.

The question of Joachim's apanage has of course been mentioned by the commentators. They are in agreement that Joachim cannot keep an apanage if he has a career abroad that is not linked directly to the DRF - which is unlikely.
And especially if they live abroad.

However, none of the commentators have mentioned our Marie.
Will she continue to have a number of protections and events she will attend to? That will involve some traveling back and forth from DK and where ever their home will be.
My guess is that J&M will have an expense account, or IMO more likely will be covered under QMII's apanage, like Benedikte (who doesn't have a staff either.)
In other words: J&M expenses will have a post on it's own in QMII's accounts and that will include an unspecified "salary" as well.

That seems to me to be the most likely and discreet solution. Because it also prevents the press from reading to much into what specific expenses J&M gets covered. Just as it is with Benedikte.

In response to questions in the Parliament, it has emerged that there were five applicants for the job as defense attache in France.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/fem-ansoegere-vraget-til-fordel-for-prins-joachim

Joachim was not among the applicants.
He was approached by the Ministry of Defense, seemingly being the best candidate at hand.

Here is the job advert: https://www.ft.dk/samling/20191/beslutningsforslag/B184/spm/6/svar/1673685/2214014.pdf

I will go to the competence, experience and skills preferred:

In depth knowledge to current Danish defense and security political priorities, including the Danish defense, as well as a broad knowledge about international politics and co-operation within international organizations.
You have an interest in defense, security political and economic conditions in France. And you have experience from international positions within the defense, security politics and/or the department (the Ministry of Defense.)

Your skills in communicating in Danish, English and French are strong. If you are not fluent in French, you must be ready to attend a preparatory language-course in French and complete a language test in French prior to being stationed in Paris.

- In fact the other five candidates never stood a chance. The application process was halted when the opportunity for Joachim to get the post arose.

In response to questions in the Parliament, it has emerged that there were five applicants for the job as defense attache in France.

He was approached by the Ministry of Defense, seemingly being the best candidate at hand.

Here is the job advert: https://www.ft.dk/samling/20191/beslutningsforslag/B184/spm/6/svar/1673685/2214014.pdf

In depth knowledge to current Danish defense and security political priorities, including the Danish defense, as well as a broad knowledge about international politics and co-operation within international organizations.
You have an interest in defense, security political and economic conditions in France. And you have experience from international positions within the defense, security politics and/or the department (the Ministry of Defense.)

Your skills in communicating in Danish, English and French are strong. If you are not fluent in French, you must be ready to attend a preparatory language-course in French and complete a language test in French prior to being stationed in Paris.

- In fact the other five candidates never stood a chance. The application process was halted when the opportunity for Joachim to get the post arose.

I hope he does well in the job, and can build a suitable career out of the role.

I am sure the other candidates are quite unhappy with their prince receiving preferential treatment...

According to Se & Hør, the court has confirmed that J&M intends to rent out their home in Copenhagen.
Presumably for the next three, perhaps five, years they are in France. And then we shall see.

The previous tenant, Caroline Fleming has moved out and into her own newly purchased house.

I had no idea who Mette Rode Sundstrøm was.
She's a co owner of the auction house Lauritz.com. Together with Bruun & Rasmussen probably the two largest and most reputable auction houses in DK.

Interesting they are good friends of J&M.

Is that a mini beard (goatee) Joachim is sporting? ��
The family looks good.

Princess Marie has taken and shared some lovely photos of the family's vacation at Château de Cayx today:

** kongehuset gallery **

:previous:

I hope everythinh going well for the Prince

"His Royal Highness Prince Joachim was admitted to the University Hospital of Toulouse, France, late last night. The prince was operated on immediately afterwards for a blood clot in the brain and the operation was successful. The condition of His Royal Highness is stable today.

The Royal House does not currently have further information, but it is Her Majesty the Queen's wish that the family be reassured by the public during the hospitalization. Her Royal Highness Princess Marie is with her husband.""

http://kongehuset.dk/nyheder/hkh-prins-joachim-indlagt-i-frankrig

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom