Disparity of Patronages between Princess Marie and Countess Alexandra

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a new Danish princess (and the only one at the time), Countess Alexandra certainly did take on quite a number of patronages. She had a business background and was fully cognizant of her role as a princess. Looking back, the marriage may have suffered on account of this.

Marie has taken the princess role at a slower pace. She has concentrated on her wifely and family role first. This is, in my opinion, as it should be.

However, that can't last forever, and now is the time to evolve into her princess role, and think about areas in which she can be helpful. Saving the world is for others, but she can certainly do something in Denmark in her capacity as princess. She could start small, even in the area where she lives, but starting is important.

I don't think that taking Alexandra off some charities only to replace her with Marie is what this is about. It is about Marie's becoming part of the fabric of the royal family and getting to the point of being able to communicate at some level with the Danish people.

There again, it's quite possible that Marie might want another child or children, which would mean that she won't have much time for supporting charities.

True, having more children would certainly keep her off charities as well as personal appearances which would include speaking Danish. She appears to be a warm person when attending functions, usually with Joachim. It would be to her benefit to begin standing on her own two feet, so she can have her own personal touch with her public. It is, after all, the Danish public, who for the most part, support her and her family. If she were married to a wealthy landowner with no royal responsibilities, it would be a different matter.

Hopefully, she'll enjoy her little prince for a little while before adding to the family.

Last year, before her wedding, two suggestions were made as patronages for Marie. One was the Hojer Design Efterskole, which is very near Schackenborg, the other was the Danish Ski Federation, seeing that Marie is fond of skiing.

Starting slowly, close to her home, and following her natural interests, are good guidelines to follow with regard to accepting patronages. After the Music Festival at the end of this month, perhaps the forementioned will be acknowledged and accepted.

Now that her first child has been born and christened, she can have the opportunity of complying with more royal duties.

She has done very well so far, in my opinion. Last November, she flew to Morocco to distribute Legos to children in an orphanage. She had the event in March for UNESCO, where she spoke in Danish. She has complied with every royal duty that has been sent her way. We have never heard of her backing out of anything, or not showing up to anything where she was expected.

In addition to these events, she has made official visits with her husband. This isn't too shabby for a person who has barely been princess for a year; most of which was spent pregnant, studying the new language, and getting used to her new role. If in a year's time (and if she isn't pregnant again), she hasn't done anything else, then serious criticism is in order, IMO. But to me, it looks like she is off to a great start.

Yes, she's beginning her duties gradually, all the while coping with learning the language, a pregnancy, and adjusting to the roles of new wife, new princess and new stepmother. The trip to Morocco was perfect, as she was able to handle the language requirements easily. Going with Joachim to Russia also good, she represented the country well, and had Joachim for support.

Since she has completed a year's cycle of royal events, she will be prepared for them this year and know what to expect. She's pacing herself carefully, a good idea. Hopefully she and Joachim will expand their family, but not immediately, so that she can be better known in the country before the second child is born.

I just don't understand why Countess Alexandra has so many patronages.Shouldn't Pr.Marie play a more active role from now on,since she is now the wife of Pr.Joachim?I mean,who allows this situation?

I just don't understand why Countess Alexandra has so many patronages.Shouldn't Pr.Marie play a more active role from now on,since she is now the wife of Pr.Joachim?I mean,who allows this situation?

Melina, if I remember correctly this has been discussed in the Countess Alexandra threads. However you have a valid point - or two :flowers:, and so does "jacknch" in a previous post on this thread.

I also happen to find it odd that we have a former member of our RF still having "public duties", but that's part of the divorce package - Alexandra was allowed to continue with a number of charities.

As for Princess Marie, I don't expect her to get many patronages in the immediate future. Firstly, she's a new mother, secondly, her Danish is still shaky according to reports (I doubt that the DRF would want to subject another native French speaker to the scrutinizing media!) and last but not least, being the second wife of the second son I only see her in a supporting role.

Alexandra arrived in the DRF at a time with no immediate "competition", so to speak. Most of the other members of the DRF were in ripe middle age, and CP Frederik was still several years from settling down. The timing was right, Alexandra filled in a void, took to royalty like a duck to water and became very popular.

Princess Marie on her part is up against a popular crown princess Mary and the popular, albeit fading star of Countess Alexandra. IMO she will eventually take on a number of patronages, but not till the time is right!

Viv

Alexandria started off slowly, throughout the years she got more patronages. Marie is still newly married, got pregnant and had her baby therefore she wasnt able to do much. Now Marie seems to be getting her schedule back with accepting her first partonage and attending a show. Im pretty sure we will start seeing her more and accepting more partonage as time passes.

You were both really clear,Viv and Dazzling.Thank you for the explanation!I'm gonna visit Countess Alexandra's threads soon.

Not only was Countess Alexandra the only princess when she married Joachim, but she waited several years before having a child (despite his wishes to start a family earlier). The princess role thrived, while the wifely role didn't fare as well. All know the results.

Princess Marie has come on the scene as the second wife of the second prince, with a very capable crown princess handling the major duties. A different time, a different role. She can go ahead and start her family without negatively impacting awaiting patronages. She has the luxury of time, not only to take on royal activities, but to learn the Danish language.

Alexandra learned it quickly, was a different type of woman, an achiever from Hong Kong, a very busy city full of international activity. Marie, on the hother hand, came from working for her stepfather, a more protected job, if you will. She has a different tempo.

Hopefully, it won't be so slow that she gets more criticism than praise.

Marie has taken her role as Joachim's wife as her first duty, just as she said in her engagement interview. They have also started a family, much as they mentioned in that same interview. Her role as wife, mother and stepmother are central to anything else. I believe she is putting her priorities in the right order.

That being said, it is also important to learn Danish, so she can communicate, at some level, with the people of her new country. As a princess, she is a high profile individual who has priviliges that most do not have. Certain responsibilites come with the privileged life and she will be expected to do her share of "royal work." Marie is coming to this crossroads at present.

During this time that she is a new mother and is at home, she could be perfecting the language skills as well as looking over the possibilities of patronages so that she will be ready to step up to her obligations in the not too distant future. At the moment her "approval rating" is rather low, as is Joachim's, so this is an area in which she should concentrate.

I do not find Marie to be very motivated to be a "Royal" in the same way we saw Mary or Alexandra in their roles. She seems to be much more content being by Joachim's side following him on the racing circuit, skiing and his other interest. The other two had patronages shortly after their marriage, and even during pregnancy. They stepped up to their roles in the Royal family as soon as they were married. I think Marie is a lovely young woman, yet I do not see her ever being a anymore than she is now. She just does not seem to have the interest to be a Royal other than the "perks" her title affords her.

I do not find Marie to be very motivated to be a "Royal" in the same way we saw Mary or Alexandra in their roles. She seems to be much more content being by Joachim's side following him on the racing circuit, skiing and his other interest. The other two had patronages shortly after their marriage, and even during pregnancy. They stepped up to their roles in the Royal family as soon as they were married. I think Marie is a lovely young woman, yet I do not see her ever being a anymore than she is now. She just does not seem to have the interest to be a Royal other than the "perks" her title affords her.

Finally someone who thinks along the same lines as me:flowers:
I agree with everything you wrote. I see no royalty in Marie when I see her at the events she has attended. She does as you say, seem very happy to just sit back and reap the benefits. :)

Marie does give the impression of liking the perks of royalty and holding back on the responsibilities. She would come across better, and as a more likeable princess, if she made more of an effort to pull her weight.

So far, she has gone to Morocco on her own, gone to Russia with Joachim, given a little speech in Danish, while still pregnant, didn't learn the hymns or prayers for the christening of her first child, has attended a couple of fashion shows, openings with Joachim, visited her grandmother, had a nice long honeymoon followed by more vacation at the chateau, gone to Switzerland for a skiing holiday, attended parties for her father-in-law, and I think that pretty well wraps it up.

Perhaps I've left something out...

She has a super smile and I have a suspicion that it has enabled her to duck responsibilities before. Hopefully, the Danish will get to a level that she can hold her own and she can be a princess in more than one aspect.

I also teach languages, and agree with sgl, it takes about 7 years to become truly proficient with the nuances of a new language. However, Mary managed to emerge and didn't have the language advantage that Alexandra had. (I agree, by the way, that having Martin Jorgensen in a fuzzy role, as a quasi-royal is disturbing. Friends of Joachim and Marie, of course, but not more than that.)

This is not about comparing anyone to anyone else, just a matter of putting the key in the ignition and getting started.

Since Princess Marie is starting to choose her patronages and the discussion is veering off on a tangent, this thread is now closed. Thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom