Confirmation of Prince Nikolai: May 18, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting Fairy Tale, :)

So I guess he won't be confirmed with his classmates and since only his immediate family is attending, we can't expect the same amount of pics either, I presume.

Perhaps it's part of the family tradition of the DRF, where they are confirmed privately?
And/or a curtesy to other confirmantees (or whatever the word for people who are being confirmed is in plural) as well? Because if Nikolai is confirmed in a public church along with others, there would with guarantee be a lot of press there as well - which would of course distract from the other confirmantees.

Last edited by a moderator:

So I guess he won't be confirmed with his classmates and since only his immediate family is attending, we can't expect the same amount of pics either, I presume.

Perhaps it's part of the family tradition of the DRF, where they are confirmed privately?
And/or a curtesy to other confirmantees (or whatever the word for people who are being confirmed is in plural) as well? Because if Nikolai is confirmed in a public church along with others, there would with guarantee be a lot of press there as well - which would of course distract from the other confirmantees.

Maybe so, but I would put money on Frederik and Mary's children, including the future King, being confirmed with their classmates in a regular ceremony.

thank you Fairy Tale for the information.
it will be nice to see some photos.

Are there any pictures of when Joachim and Frederik were confirmed?

What counts as "immediate" family? (Biological) father and mother and siblings and grandparents obviously. Does it include stepmother, -father, uncle (Frederik is his godfather), aunt, cousins?

What counts as "immediate" family? (Biological) father and mother and siblings and grandparents obviously. Does it include stepmother, -father, uncle (Frederik is his godfather), aunt, cousins?

In my definition that would be parents (including step parents), siblings, grandparents, uncles and aunts and to some degree cousins.

Then this is probably the first event where we will see all of them together - if we will see anything.

Will it be public or private? I guess it'll be private since kongehuset.dk hasn't officially announced it (or put it one their website at least).
18 May is a great date and hopefully the weather will turn out to be good too, I was confirmed on 9 May myself and I was happy to be one of the "last" to be so (I have friends who already got confirmed in April and that was slightly cold for beautiful, white, though slightly thin gowns).

I think it´s part of the tradition and by the growing interest in the DRF (and more and more press) has become a curtesy.

Here you can see that from King Frederik IX and onward all confirmations (of the DRF) have taken place in Fredensborg Slotskirke :flowers:

BB has a few more details about who will attend Nikolai's confirmation.

His parents of course - with spouses.
QMII and PH.
Christa Manley. Nikolai's mormor. (Maternal grandmother).
His five godfather will also be present with families. (*)

His godfathers are:
Frederik.
Prince Edward.
Peter Steenstrup.
Camilla Flint.
Alexandra's sister, Nicola Baird.

(*) BB states in the article that these persons will come to the confirmation. I'm a little sceptical about that. These persons have no doubt all been invited, but whether they will all attend, with families, well... Not so sure.

His five godfather will also be present with families. (*)

His godfathers are:
Frederik.
Prince Edward.
Peter Steenstrup.
Camilla Flint.
Alexandra's sister, Nicola Baird.

(*) BB states in the article that these persons will come to the confirmation. I'm a little sceptical about that. These persons have no doubt all been invited, but whether they will all attend, with families, well... Not so sure.
I´m pretty sure that CP Frederik and Nicola Baird will come :p
But the others... Hmm, we´ll have to wait and see :flowers:

I think the thing about the godparents attending is more guessing than knowing from BB and I personally very much doubt that Prince Edward, for instance, will be there. I guess it depends on how much contact the two have had during the last thirteen years, they could obviously have had contact that we don't know about. However, it would be lovely if Edward (+ Sophie) attended.

It would be lovely if Edward went as he did not attend the Christening, but we shall see. It does depend on the contact the two families have kept up, but considering Edward did go to Joachim and Marie's wedding I wouldn't be surprised if he did not attend. Joachim did attend Edward's wedding - he was one of the few Royals at it (Felipe, Haakon and a couple of others attended.)

It would be lovely if Edward went as he did not attend the Christening, but we shall see. It does depend on the contact the two families have kept up, but considering Edward did go to Joachim and Marie's wedding I wouldn't be surprised if he did not attend. Joachim did attend Edward's wedding - he was one of the few Royals at it (Felipe, Haakon and a couple of others attended.)

I know he attended Joachim's first wedding but I don't think Edward attended the marriage of Joachim & Marie.

I know he attended Joachim's first wedding but I don't think Edward attended the marriage of Joachim & Marie.

Yes Edward attend Joachim and Alexandra's wedding but he did not attend Joachim's second marriage. No idea why he didn't, perhaps it clashed with other commitments or they just were not that close by that stage. I meant to put did not go to their wedding. That was a typing error on my part, sorry!

In English, plural of confirmand is confirmands.

Are there any pictures of when Joachim and Frederik were confirmed?

Here is one taken at Joachim's confirmation: Prins Henrik, Kronprins Frederik, Prins Joachim, Dronning Margrethe, Dronning Ingrid, Greve André de Laborde de Monpezat, Renée de Monpezat, Prinsesse Benedikte, Prinsesse Anne-Marie, Prince Henrik with members of his family | Mogens Ladegaard

And here is a slideshow of confirmands and the way they looked 'back then' - http://www.b.dk/billedeserier/saadan-saa-konfirmander-ud-da-farfar-var-dreng - a very young looking Frederik as confirmand in the 3rd picture.

And an interesting last picture in the show: King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine at 'their sons' confirmation', Frederik and Knud. From the text it appears that the boys were confirmed at the same time. Didn't know that.

Last edited:
Funny picture. Frederik and Joachim have the same height although Frederik is standing one step higher.
A similar situation as in Spain where Sophia is already as tall as Leonor and in a few years will be taller than her elder sister IMO.

Last edited:
And an interesting last picture in the show: King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine at 'their sons' confirmation', Frederik and Knud. From the text it appears that the boys were confirmed at the same time. Didn't know that.
IIRC then Frederik and Knud were raised as pseudo-twins :flowers:

I think this is just a family event and not a big royal ceremony for Edward & Sophie to attend.

I think this is just a family event and not a big royal ceremony for Edward & Sophie to attend.

It's common for godparents to attend the confirmation of their godchildren, or at least it is in Denmark. I personally have little faith that Edward and Sophie will attend, but it's not unlikely.

It's common for godparents to attend the confirmation of their godchildren, or at least it is in Denmark. I personally have little faith that Edward and Sophie will attend, but it's not unlikely.

Godparents often attend Confirmations in other countries. I am sure my brother's attended his confirmation. I was never confirmed so cannot speak for myself. Perhaps it depends on the family.

I have little faith Edward will attend either. Was there any reason given for his not attending Nikolai's christening? Are we sure Edward definitely is a Godparent? I read somewhere it was not true, but I am unsure.

Are we sure Edward definitely is a Godparent? I read somewhere it was not true, but I am unsure.

He is, I'm sure. Either way BB wouldn't mention it. I don't know why he's his godparent though, I didn't know that Joachim and Edward were so good friends that Joachim would make Edward his son's godfather.

Prince Edward attended Prince Joachim's first wedding in 1995. Edward was still a bachelor back then and maybe it was one of the first continental RF weddings he went to?
I remember reading that Edward and Sophie visited Joachim and his first wife at Schackenborg at some stage, but I don't remember whether it was before or after the baptism of Prince Nikolai.
Like other Danes on this forum I doubt that Prince Edward will attend the confirmation, but I won't bet on it ;).

For the record: Contrary to confirmations elsewhere Danish confirmations tend to be 'big productions' with the ensuing party and shower of gifts as a considerable incentive for the confirmand!

The families of each confirmand are normally allotted a number of seats at the church acording to availabilty. You can't apply this limitation to the RF and IMO they've done the right thing by planning a separate event!

I agree, it's a very big thing to get confirmed here in Denmark, even if you don't actually get confirmed most young people still get a party similar to those of their class mates who do get confirmed (commonly known as a non-firmation, or at least here at Amager it is :p).

It's gonna be so big when Nikolai is gonna get confirmed, I cannot believe he's already turning fourteen this year. Time sure does fly.

more information Privat til redaktionerne: H.H. Prins Nikolais konfirmation - Kongehuset
Google Translation

Private confirmation at Fredensborg Palace Church at 11am, followed by a lunch at Fredensborg Palace.
The press will have the opportunity to photograph the confirmand with the immediate family on the main staircase at Fredensborg Palace at 12.00 immediately after the confirmation has taken place.
Official photos from Prince Nikolai's confirmation will be given out on the DRF website (kongehuset.dk) on May 18th in the afternoon.

Nikolai will be confirmed in a couple of days and Billed Bladet has written a portrait of him.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #20, 2013.
Lidt af et pragtseksemplar - Bit of a wonder. (Meant with humourous tone).
Written by Trine Larsen, who is the BB journalist who knows this branch of the DRF best.

Nikolai is pretty much like other thirteen year old boys.

A bright young man or as farbror (paternal uncle) Frederik put it: "He's equipped with an unusual good harddisk".

Nikolai is used to chores and duties, they may not always be that amusing but so far there haven't been a teenage rebellion.
Among the daily chores is walking the dog with Felix.
Setting the table and moving the lawn.

Nikolai likes to jump on a trampoline, his aim is to become more fit so that he can take up another sport, parkour. Apart from that he is having tennis lessons.

Other interests are: Piano lessons, actually he got a bit fed up with the piano a couple of years ago, but realised he would have wasted all he had learned previously if he didn't keep practising, so he is soldering on with the lessons.
He used to play bassguitar.

He is good and swimming and very good at skiing.

Computergames is also a favorite passtime, so much that his parents have set up limits, otherwise it would get out of control. (*)

An interest Nikolai does not have is clothes. He doesn't care about what he is wearing as long as it's comfortable and quick and easy to get in.

A place you won't find Nikolai, unless when he is eating, is the kitchen. He has no particular interest in cooking - it's just food. However lobster is among his favorite dishes.

Among the music he likes to listen to is David Guetta and DJ Avicii. (**)
He likes watching Jackass, Top Gear (***) and South Park.
Discovery is also something he watches, especially Bear Grylls.

Unsurprisingly Nikolai is fluent in English, pretty good at German and getting well versed in French as well.

His wishlist for his confirmation isn't much different from other boys his age:
iTunes cards.
X-box games.
Cool sunglasses.
Cufflinks.
Cool leather wallet.
Smart looking hunting bag.
Watch.
Fountain pen.

Nikolai will be confirmed at 11.00 at Fredensborg. At 12.00 there will be a photosession at the stairs to the palace, where Nikolai will pose with close relatives. And then it's time for dinner, presents and being celebrated.

(*) Welcome to the club. We also had to ration computergames for our oldest. :online2lo

(**) I have no idea, who they are! I'm old, you know, old. :yoda:

(***) He met Jeremy Clarkson and Captain Slow a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
:previous:thank you Muhler:flowers:

Nikolai looks like a very smart and nice boy.
although, Im not sure how many teenage boys I know would want Cufflinks ;)

and i loved that little quote from Frederik, that Nikolai is "equipped with an unusual good harddisk". :D

looking forward to seeing some pics

Back
Top Bottom