Confirmation of Prince Felix: April 1, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #13, 2017.
Written by Henrik Salling.

On Saturday 1. April Felix will be confirmed at Fredensborg palace church.
The ceremony starts at 11.00 and is expected to last 45 minutes.
His five godparents are expected to be among the guests. BB speculates that there will be about 50 guests.
When the ceremony is over, the Regent Couple will host a lunch for all at Amalienborg. Amalienborg, because the Regent Couple haven't moved to Fredensborg yet.
How long the celebrations will last is not mentioned in the article.

- There is a long standing tradition, going back at least a hundred years (because I remember relatives talking about taking part in it in 1921) called Blue Monday.
Blue Monday takes place on the first Monday after the Confirmation, where the confirmands (Or whetever you call them) celebrate their "coming of age" on their own.
Dressed in brand new clothes and money in the pockets they descend on the amusement parks and larger cities in droves. Raiding the local McDonalds and shopping like mad.
Beforehand they used to be completely on their own, but they are easily spotted by pick-pockets and criminals, so a number of parents usually ride shotgun, staying within easy reach and a telephone call away, in case we are needed.

They usually start out with a group of friends meeting for a breakfast at a friends house, before going out to town: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vE0rLBGLhD0/maxresdefault.jpg
Going shopping:
The group photo after the confirmation, which is often done with their classmates: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T1n8yd9yu4Q/S6-Y0b7elyI/AAAAAAAADxM/xlr0j4u2cGQ/s1600/DSCF6941.JPG
At the amusement park: As you can tell that while the girls are half grown up, the boys are very much still kids: https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/resolve/image_1240/image/7/70467/8725392-bl-mandag.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kHE1kZgBlhM/maxresdefault.jpg
A couple of dads on shotgun duty: http://aarhus11.mediajungle.dk/files/2011/05/Jan.jpg

There are a number of local traditions about what to do or where to go.

P.S. You're gonna love the photos of some of the DRF members from their confirmations, when I get around to scan the mag. :D

I understand that "Regent couple" in this case means Prince Joachim and Felix's stepmother Princess Marie are to co-host the reception after the confirmation ceremony, so does that mean the boy's mother Countess Alexandra will attend simply as a guest?

Interesting question.
I wondered why J&M couldn't host the celebration, Surely they have room in their new home.
But perhaps by letting the grandparents be the hosts, they circumnavigate the problem about who attends as guest.
Now both Felix parents are guests, so to speak.

I understand that "Regent couple" in this case means Prince Joachim and Felix's stepmother Princess Marie are to co-host the reception after the confirmation ceremony, so does that mean the boy's mother Countess Alexandra will attend simply as a guest?

Regent Couple means Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik.

:previous:Wow...I had no idea...I thought since Queen Margrethe is the actual Sovereign she would not be referred that way.

A little confusing but thank you for the reply!;)

Good solution as well Muhler, I agree.

:previous:Wow...I had no idea...I thought since Queen Margrethe is the actual Sovereign she would not be referred that way.

Regent in Danish & Swedish can mean both a temporary ruler, as in the Prince Regent, & the monarch her- himself.

"The confirmation takes place in Fredensborg Palace Church at. 11:00 by Royal Chaplain Erik Norman Svendsen.

Church has in recent times been the setting for royal following confirmations: H.M. Queen (1955), HRH Princess Benedikte (1959), H.M. Queen Anne-Marie (1961), HRH Crown Prince (1981), HRH Prince Joachim (1982) and H. H. Prince Nikolai (2013)."

H.H. Prins Felix konfirmeres i Fredensborg Slotskirke | Kongehuset

"The confirmation takes place in Fredensborg Palace Church at. 11:00 by Royal Chaplain Erik Norman Svendsen followed by lunch in Christian IX's Palace, Amalienborg."

JR76 is right :flowers:

QMII is referred to as:
Dronningen = the Queen.
Monarken = the Monarch.
Regenten = the Regent. - While Frederik is merely acting as a regent, when he is standing in for his mother.
Majestæten = the Majesty.
She is not referred to anything that is equivalent to sovereign though. - That word is difficult to translate into Danish.

Last edited:
"The confirmation takes place in Fredensborg Palace Church at. 11:00 by Royal Chaplain Erik Norman Svendsen.

"The confirmation takes place in Fredensborg Palace Church at. 11:00 by Royal Chaplain Erik Norman Svendsen followed by lunch in Christian IX's Palace, Amalienborg."

I was just about to ask who performs the Confirmation Ceremony as in RC Ceremonies its performed by the diocesan Bishop.

Didn't Chaplain Erik Norman Svendsen perform the wedding ceremony of Joachim and Marie?

:previous:

Yes, Svendsen performed Joachim and Marie's wedding, as well as Frederik and Mary's. He also christened Christian, Isabella, the twins, Henrik and Athena.

Last edited:
Felix really is a handsome young man!

I guess this kind of confirmation usually takes place with the rest of your classmates?

Maybe it's just this one photo, but I think Christian has been eating a bit too much candy and crisps lately :lol: Ah yes, he's coming to that age where his physics will really start to change...

Felix really is a handsome young man!

I guess this kind of confirmation usually takes place with the rest of your classmates?

Maybe it's just this one photo, but I think Christian has been eating a bit too much candy and crisps lately :lol: Ah yes, he's coming to that age where his physics will really start to change...

Christian has his grandfathers shaped face nothing to do with what he eats

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Iceflower and Eya. :flowers:

Good grief, I had to look twice before I recognized Alexandra!

The Regent Couple are looking ever more frail. Just look at the video.

And Josephine almost stole the day. :lol:
I would so much like to see her and Athena on their own. Perhaps at the Gråsten photo-shoot? If the weather is good the children (and adults) have been playing around the swings before.
Or perhaps at QMII's birthday at Marselisborg?
The terrace is large enough for the children to roam around freely.

ADDED: Here is a BB-video report: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...paa-sin-konfirmationsfest-omgivet-af-familien

Which building do we see through the chapel's window? (thank you, Eya!)

https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn....=93beae9469a27a350ac39e3f27a1f547&oe=595064F0

If you stand with your back to the main stairs in the courtyard, facing the road to the palace, this is the angled wing to your left.

Is it just me or do Marie and Alexandra seem kind of standoffish towards each other?

I thought Marie and Athena looks fabulous. JMHO, but Alexandra looked a bit swollen in her face.

As for the CP family -- Josephine looked adorable. Christian -- a mini-John Donaldson!

I heard in the video Alexandra saying Felix and he entered the Church with his brother and grand mother.

Is it just me or do Marie and Alexandra seem kind of standoffish towards each other?

I saw nothing strange but it will have been walking eggs for both ladies.

Prince Henrik is so immensely proud on his grandson. He can look a decisive pater familias but he seems to have a soft spot for his grandchildren.

Prince Joachim should have been next to his Son Felix and not Marie.

Athena looks so much like her mother! Christian is the spitting image of his father, and little Josephine is growing up so fast.

It would suit Nikolai to smile a bit. Why so serious??

Felix looks very happy and the rest of the children are adorable.

Prince Joachim should have been next to his Son Felix and not Marie.

In the video was to be seen that Prince Joachim directed the group. He stood next to Prince Felix but swapped places with Marie and moved one step lower than her, because of his height. Of course Marie is the mother of Felix' siblings, so it is logical that she has a prominent place, I think.

In the video was to be seen that Prince Joachim directed the group. He stood next to Prince Felix but swapped places with Marie and moved one step lower than her, because of his height. Of course Marie is the mother of Felix' siblings, so it is logical that she has a prominent place, I think.

I think it would have been even more logical, that the boys mother, Alexandra, would have been standing next to her son and not one step up on the side.
If someone who doesn't know who these people are looks at the video and photos, they probably think Marie is the mother. I thought it was odd.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSVvdBmjmxb/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

I think it would have been even more logical, that the boys mother, Alexandra, would have been standing next to her son and not one step up on the side.
If someone who doesn't know who these people are looks at the video and photos, they probably think Marie is the mother. I thought it was odd.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSVvdBmjmxb/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

Maybe, but Alexandra herself stayed next to Nicolaj and Marie initially stood next to Joachim when he directed her to a place next to Felix. Maybe it was agreed this way. Everyone looked comfortable with it, in the video.

Back
Top Bottom