Christening of Princess Athena: May 20, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Athena???? Like the capital of Greece???? In my opinion it is a tough name for a little girl!!! And it is not beautiful at all. Why not Lisbon or Paris? :))
I would have preferred Geneva, but Athena isn't that bad. :)
I would have preferred Athina though (like Athina Onassis).

Last edited:
haven't post here in some time, I figure today would be a special day to do it so.
I like Athena, no it's not Danish, but it sounds different from other royal monikers without going completely crazy. Does anyone have videos link for the ceremony? I wasn't able to watch it live.

I think someone will upload it on youtube in a few days.

The boys seem more relaxed with their step-father than Marie.
Aren't the boys living most of the time with their mother and step-father? I would say that it's normal to be closer and more relaxed with someone they spend the most time with.

Why not Lisbon or Paris? :))

Lisbon and Paris are tacky names, not worthy of a royal Princess. Athena is named Athena, not Athens.

Geneva or Juniper is also not a name for a royal Princess, I only know of one person with the given name Geneva and it is of course most known as the country in Switzerland though it is not the capital, Bern is.

Geneva or Juniper is also not a name for a royal Princess, I only know of one person with the given name Geneva and it is of course most known as the country in Switzerland though it is not the capital, Bern is.
We were joking.
I know very well that Geneva is the name of the city where Marie used to live (and I know it's not the capital of Switzerland). That's why I brought it up.
And so far Athena has never been the name for a princess. Athena does not sound more royal to me than Geneva.

Lisbon and Paris are tacky names, not worthy of a royal Princess. Athena is named Athena, not Athens.
Athens is only the English name, in other languages it's Athena, Athenes, Atene, Athen.

Last edited:
I think they could enter the chuch with Nikolai and Felix. Although the boys caught them, they didn't pose with them after the ceremony. That seemed to me the boys are not a part of the family. I know there is no place in the car, however the queen's car was also crowded with them. During the twins' christening Mary, Frederik came with a car with twins, Christian and Isabella came with another car. They entered the church as a big family.
I think Joachim and Marie could do the same. It seemed too seperate to me. I also think that it was not a good idea for boys to sit with grandparents. They did the same thing while Henrik's christening. Crown Prince couple of Norway was always with Marius during both christening.

As for the name, it is nice. I also realised that Isabella wears the same dress.
I definitely don't think it was a statement or something demeaning to the 2 older princess, just a little missight, I could be that lil' Henri is suffering from jealousy, or prone to tantrums, so they thought to take him along with mummy and daddy, whilst N&F are bg enough to go with granny and gramps. BTW Isabella just stole the show IMO, she is so impish...

I agree with you but Paris Hilton is a bad namesake and the name Paris is considered to be a girl name because of her.

Aren't the boys living most of the time with their mother and step-father? I would say that it's normal to be closer and more relaxed with someone they spend the most time with.

Yes, but Martin seems to be a great step-father for them. He doesn't have to act like he is good for cameras. Because he is not a famous nor a royal person.
And it doesn't mean that you are close with people are living together. Some children have to live with unliked step-father because mother has the custody.

I definitely don't think it was a statement or something demeaning to the 2 older princes, just a little missight, It could be that lil' Henri is suffering from jealousy, or prone to tantrums, so they thought to take him along with mummy and daddy, whilst N&F are bg enough to go with granny and gramps. BTW Isabella just stole the show IMO, she is so impish...

it is widely known that little children are jealous of their siblings and I think that wasn't the issue. Nikolai and Felix are also big enough to go with an extra seperate car.

Last edited by a moderator:
where can those who missed it watch the christening?

Nowhere I can find yet, but it should be up on youtube soon enough. DRFGARDEN usually gets them up quick enough.

Paris isn't horrible as long as it's on a boy since it's a man's name from mythology.

The name's been ruined by both the city and the girl.

Athens is only the English name, in other languages it's Athena, Athenes, Atene, Athen.

The capital is known as Athens, by the majority of people even possibly in Greece it is Athens. It is not known as Athena, or Atene or Athen by the majority of people in the world. In Greek the worlwideweb tells me it is known as Atine or Athine.

Last edited:
Well to those who say Athena is not a royal name, the little girl is a Princess of Denmark so Athena just became a royal name.

Yes, but Martin seems to be a great step-father for them.
It's so stereotypical to blame the step-mother. Perhaps the princes take after their great-grandmother Ingrid who didn't like her step-mother.

Unfortunately I missed the christening, but I saw a couple of short videos and of course the pictures. The little princess is really sweet. I really like her name, especially the second, third and fourth. Athena is pretty unexpected and unusual, but I still like it and I'm sure we will all get used to it in no time, same as with Estelle :flowers:
Can't wait to see the official pictures.

Very strange and peculiar for someone who is not Greek and doesn t have any Greek family...and also more strange for a Danish royal couple....of course they are free To choose the name... but they should have choosen a more Danish name...she is a Princess in DEnmark not in Greece...Very strange indeed and I really don t think that was a Very wise thing.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The capital is known as Athens, by the majority of people even possibly in Greece it is Athens. It is not known as Athena, or Atene or Athen by the majority of people in the world. In Greek the worlwideweb tells me it is known as Atine or Athine.

Oh dear, I can't believe the anglo-saxon smugness presented here... :whistling:Are you seriously saying that English-speaking people are the majority in the world and because of that all places should use English names? Following your logic, Athens should be called 雅典 (Yǎdiǎn)! In my understanding Athens is Αθήνα to Greeks, roughly Athina.

P.S. Good luck trying to find 'Florence' on an Italian language map of Italy then...

She died before Felix was born, when Nikolai was one year old. They don't even remember her. Maybe Marie is nice to them, she doesn't seem bad. But all of them should stay together as a family not two families.

She is not Greek know, ties to Greek family I don't think so. But Joachim's aunt is Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, that's a link. They didn't have to choose a danish name, most names are "universal" these days. If that were the case we'd see strings of Thyra's and Dagmars as well as Christian's and Frederiks which is getting tiresome.

Are you seriously saying that English-speaking people are the majority in the world and because of that all places should use English names?

Nope, you clearly misread what I wrote. I said that the capital of Greece around the world is most commonly known as Athens.

The capital is known as Athens, by the majority of people even possibly in Greece it is Athens.

Nowhere in that sentence did I say the majority of people in the world speak English, nor did I say everywhere should use English names.

Last edited:
Could we move on and stop this debate on whether Joachim and Marie were bad parents because they weren't with Nikolai and Felix the whole time? IMO they were not and we do not know all the details here. The girl has a name. She's not called Pineapple, Cabernet Sauvignon or Dyslexia but she has a fairly normal name. I don't see a catastrophe happening here. That's all.

P.S. To Lumutqueen; the point was that it isn't mostly known as 'Athens', claiming something like that just isn't true. Most of the people in the world aren't English speakers which is why Athens is known as whatever it is on their native language. I could claim that Athens is mostly known as Yǎdiǎn because most of the people in the world are Chinese speakers. But I don't want to start a fight here.

Last edited:
If you think the majority of people in the world use the English name for the capital of Greece then you are quite wrong (unless of course they are talking in English). There are as many different names for it as there are languages (no matter how many people speak those languages).

I think most people in Marie's shoes would prefer it if their husband had not been married before and had children by another woman, it's just human nature. HER family consists of Joachim and their two children but HIS family consists of four children and it would be very unusual for anyone to feel the same about their step children as they do their own. I am sure Marie is lovely to the older boys but I wouldn't blame her if at events like this she would prefer the emphasis to be on herself, Joachim and their children. I'm not saying that she DOES feel like that but that I wouldn't blame her if she did.

Very strange and peculiar for someone who is not Greek and doesn t have any Greek family...and also more strange for a Danish royal couple....of course they are free To choose the name... but they should have choosen a more Danish name...she is a Princess in DEnmark not in Greece...Very strange indeed and I really don t think that was a Very wise thing.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Such names are internationally accepted, actually most names are from Greek such as, Sophia, Alexander, Alexandra. They are common so it isn't weird to you. Athena is weird to you because it is not common.
Diana(Roman mythology) and Athena(Greek mythology) are the same. Why people think the name is weird? I think it is such a lovely name.

I think most people in Marie's shoes would prefer it if their husband had not been married before and had children by another woman, it's just human nature. HER family consists of Joachim and their two children but HIS family consists of four children and it would be very unusual for anyone to feel the same about their step children as they do their own. I am sure Marie is lovely to the older boys but I wouldn't blame her if at events like this she would prefer the emphasis to be on herself, Joachim and their children. I'm not saying that she DOES feel like that but that I wouldn't blame her if she did.

Yes, you are right. But the boys are related 3/4 of Marie's family. She knew Joachim has two boys before. That's why they should have been sit together and come together. Haakon always put Marius into his family, I think that's better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have preferred Athina though (like Athina Onassis).

Yes, you have right, Athina is something else! It is much more feminine! I would preferred too! But, of course, is not my choice. I wish all the best for the little girl. :flowers:

Here are some clips from the christening from DR1.
VIDEO: Se alle højdepunkterne fra dåben - dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland

I think Athena is a lovely name, I predict Athena and the other variation Athene will become popular. (Athene is the Danish name for the goddess).
I also find the name sweet. Our Marie and Joachim's little goddess. That's pretty cute, eh?

It's also a name that can be pronounced in many languages - like Vincent and Josephine to name two other names.
It may not be a common Scandinavian name - yet, but nor were Felix and Vincent common names.

I doubt very much it has anything to do with the Greek capital, which is called Athen in Danish. - And pronounced very differently from the English Athens. Nor do I believe it's a nod to Joachim's Greek branch of the family, even though they may appreciate it.
My guess is that they simply liked it.

Here is a clip from TV2 focusing on how Isabella entertained the audience: http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-50523525:video-prinsesse-isabella-charmerede-alle.html

We could go back and forth with this all day, and everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions BUT at the of the day IMO riding with your younger half siblings (and really I hate the word half) and your father and stepmother in a car or posing with them in front of a church does not make you a family.

You know what makes you a family....showing love, respect and compassion to each other at all times not just because you are in the public eye for show. It what happens behind closed doors. Marie and Joachim showing Felix and Nikolai (as well as Henrik and Athena) that they are loved and cherished by showing them love with affectionate hugs and kisses, attending school recitals, listening to their stories, going to soccer games, etc. Helping them grow into positive members of society. That's being a true family.

And you know what, Marie showing affection to her stepsons at the` end of the christening, gives me hope that this is a true family.

Very well said, Zonk. I couldn't agree more.

Last edited:
I love her name choices, Athena is beautiful. I was definitely not expecting it. I think it will suit her.

I wish British Royal christenings were shown on TV, they are such private matters here. We only ever see one image normally.

Yes, you are right. But the boys are related 3/4 of Marie's family. She knew Joachim has two boys before. That's why they should have been sit together and come together. Haakon always put Marius into his family, I think that's better.

Oh, I have just seen footage of the ceremony and I completely agree with you. I was originally referring to Marie and Joachim posing for pictures with their own children but I didn't realise that Felix and Nikolai had been relegated to the pews during the service. Joachim has banged on since both Henrik and Athena were born about how much his elder children love their little brother and sister. To then have Henrik sitting by the font and not the other two brothers is hypocritical to say the least. Children pick up on everything and Felix and Nikolai must have been wondering why they were not up there with Henrik. What a totally rotten and insensitive thing to have done. What was their father thinking?!!!! And as far as the "no room in the car" for the elder boys goes they could have followed in another car and still walked in together.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom