Christening of Princess Athena: May 20, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The middle names are expected, don't like the use of the French version of Margrethe.

But Isla, Savannah and Leah are no princesses! They just happen to be the great-grandchildren or granchildren in Leah's case of the reigning monarch. Whereas Estelle and Athena are definitely princesses and the grandchildren of the reigning monarch. Huge difference! :)

The baby is adorable! The name is unexpected but nice!!!

Personally, I love the name Athena! I had a good chuckle when I checked Twitter this morning and saw that Joachim and Marie had chosen my name for their daughter.

And just to put things in perspective: innocent people being killed in a landslide, tsunami, earthquake, tornado, or hurricane counts as a disaster. Giving an unconventional name to a royal princess does not count as a disaster.

Princess Tina sounds adorable if that's the correct pronunciation and if they call her by a nickname. In the U.S., that's how the spelling would be according to how the name is pronounced.

Last edited:
But Isla, Savannah and Leah are no princesses! They just happen to be the great-grandchildren or granchildren in Leah's case of the reigning monarch. Whereas Estelle and Athena are definitely princesses and the grandchildren of the reigning monarch. Huge difference! :)
I really don't see the difference between Leah Isadora and Athena; both are daughters of younger children, granddaughters of the Monarch, and very remote in the line of succession. Estelle is the future Queen, so I'll agree her situation is different.

I do like all these new (royal) names; you can re-use old ones only that many times. And at the end of the day, every "royal" name started as unusual for its time. :)

Last edited:
yes, you're right, I want to say members of the royal families, really now you see rare manes or no traditional names

I love this Danish tradition of revealing the names at the christening. It really makes this moment even more special.

The names are beautiful.

The music/choir was just awful.

Athena Marguerite Françoise Marie

Yay! Again I guessed one of the names right, just as I did with little princess Josephines 4th name (Mathilda) last year. And what a beautiful and unusual first name the youngest danish princess has. I really love it and I also love the fact that we always get this big surprises from the danes. To badthat aftereight children the chances are very limited that we'll get a lot more surprises. If even one more.

:previous:
I actually guessed three of the names right, but I doubt anyone guessed Athena.
It thought her first name would be Odile, but Athena is beautiful too. :)

Princess Tina sounds adorable if that's the correct pronunciation and if they call her by a nickname. In the U.S., that's how the spelling would be according to how the name is pronounced.
As for a "correct" pronunciation of the name Athena, it will vary whatever language you speak, I would pronounce it in a different manner depending on whether I spoke Swedish, Finnish or English, the same with names such as Victoria, Elizabeth, Anne or Marie.

We could go back and forth with this all day, and everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions BUT at the of the day IMO riding with your younger half siblings (and really I hate the word half) and your father and stepmother in a car or posing with them in front of a church does not make you a family.

You know what makes you a family....showing love, respect and compassion to each other at all times not just because you are in the public eye for show. It what happens behind closed doors. Marie and Joachim showing Felix and Nikolai (as well as Henrik and Athena) that they are loved and cherished by showing them love with affectionate hugs and kisses, attending school recitals, listening to their stories, going to soccer games, etc. Helping them grow into positive members of society. That's being a true families.

And you know what, Marie showing affection to her stepsons at the` end of the christening, gives me hope that this is a true family.

Of course, we can't know what is going on behind closed doors. Maybe, Marie gave attention to Felix because of cameras. Maybe, she cares them so much, we can't be sure. But there is no photo of them together. They didn't seem to me a family, they seemed to me as two seperate family. I know there will be official photos with Nikolai and Felix but there will also be official photos of only Marie, her chidren and Joachim like two seperate family.

Last edited:
I didn't like the name Athena at first. But I love it the more I get used to it. It's not the most conventional name, but not strange either.

As for a "correct" pronunciation of the name Athena, it will vary whatever language you speak, I would pronounce it in a different manner depending on whether I spoke Swedish, Finnish or English, the same with names such as Victoria, Elizabeth, Anne or Marie.

That's understandable but by correct, I meant the Danish pronunciation of the name since that's how it's pronounced in that country; again, similar to how we Americans would pronounce and spell "Tina." The full name Athena would be pronounced here as "a-thee-na."

Last edited:
It was very easy to guess the three middle names, and nobody guessed Athena as I've just double checked the name thread.

Of course, we can't know what is going on behind closed doors. Maybe, Marie gave attention to Felix because of cameras. Maybe, she cares them so much, we can't be sure. But there is no photo of them together. They didn't seem to me a family, they seemed to me as two seperate family. I know there will be official photos with Nikolai and Felix but there will also be official photos of only Marie, her chidren and Joachim like two seperate family.
Do remember that Marie herself have grown up with step-parents and half-siblings so she is probably very aware of the risk of treating her children and step-children differently. Both Nikolai and Felix are old enough to have their own opinions by now and I wouldn't be surprised if they were asked how they would like to be seated in church and so on, and their mother would also have her say in these matters, so I don't think it's fair to put the blame on Marie, as we don't know real story behind.

any idea when the official pictures will be released?

athena is definitely a lovely name. i just *hope* they don't start calling her "princess tina". it would be the most horrible deformation of a beautiful name.

carlota said:

athena is definitely a lovely name. i just *hope* they don't start calling her "princess tina". it would be the most horrible deformation of a beautiful name.

Agree. Her name is beautiful. I think Athena is very old world elegant :)

danish pronounciation is different from english. They pronounce Josephine like Yozephine.

Where did I say it wasn't different? English isn't my first language so I understand the concept of names being pronounced differently. I was just saying what I heard on the video and what it sounded like to my ear. I never said it wasn't correct.

Danish language wiki about the goddess Athena lists both Athena and Athene. Are both forms used in Danish?

http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athene

Last edited:
I don't blame Marie, it is also Joachim's decision. And yes, we don't know story behind so I am talking about only photos. The boys seem more relaxed with their step-father than Marie. But boys caught up them while leaving the chuch. that's why we can say that boys want to be with them.

Where did I say it wasn't different? English isn't my first language so I understand the concept of names being pronounced differently. I was just saying what I heard on the video and what it sounded like to my ear. I never said it wasn't correct.

Danish language wiki about the goddess Athena lists both Athena and Athene. Are both forms used in Danish?

Athene - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopædi

I didn't say that you said "it wasn't correct". I have just added information that Danish and English pronounciation are different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Athena is one of my favourites names. It´s original, it sounds nice, really beautiful.

Athena???? Like the capital of Greece???? In my opinion it is a tough name for a little girl!!! And it is not beautiful at all. Why not Lisbon or Paris? :))

I can just imagine the posts in here if they named her Paris. I do like the name though. I think the people in the forums take the names way too seriously and forget that it isn't their kid that has the name.

Last edited:
Athena is Greek goddess of wisdom. The city is named after the goddess. Paris is also a character from Greek mythology. To me it is one of the beautiful names in royal circle.

Athena???? Like the capital of Greece???? In my opinion it is a tough name for a little girl!!! And it is not beautiful at all. Why not Lisbon or Paris? :))
The capital of Greece is Athens, which was named so after Greek Goddess of wisdom, Athena.
If Athena is an inappropriate name, than so is Diana (Roman Goddess of Moon), Selena (Greek Goddess of Moon), and quite a few other names.

Probably tomorrow, I remember I read somewhere they will release the photos on 21st

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the name. I think Joachim and Marie chose a non-royal name because it is highly unlikely Athena will become Queen, unless something very terrible happens - which is also unlikely.

What consitutes a Royal name. Just because because someone on a throne or born in a royal family had that name doesn't automatically makes it a royal name. And all of their names at one time was probably not considered royal like name.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom