Christening of Prince Henrik: July 26, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was a little disappointed in the clothing worn by the ladies. It seemed rather colorless, even if they wanted to simplify this christening. It would have been a good opportunity to wear color (even if in simple outfits) just to celebrate this wonderful event and the lovely summer weather.
I agree , all the Marie and Mary both wore the Grey/Silver tones , for as this would have been an opportunity for something a bit more festive and colourful

This was a beautiful christening. So glad the baby was named after Henrik, and that both Joachim and Alain were included in the names. The tribute to Carl is also toucing, if done as a tribute to Queen Ingrid's brother, who attended the christening.
Lots of family ties with those names, just beautiful.

The flowers amazing, the way they decorated the church's altar was delicate and very classic, much though and good taste went into this.

All very special, except the dresses - so much beige, and BLACK! Black at a christening? I liked the capelet effect of Prince Gustav's girlfriend - it looked feminine, yet subdued, not a little sweater, as Mary wore. Marie's lace dress did not show well, it looked old fashioned and bunched up at the neckline (the white underdress - lining). Her face and hair were stunning. Joachim beaming, genuinely touched (unless it was pollen allergy that caused the kleenex).

Surely the queen will have a word with Joachim's older two boys about paper airplanes in church. She kept glancing over for a reason.

A lovely ceremony over all. Now Schackenborg has young life again, that in itself is fulfilling. Good for Joachim, Marie, and the family. Many blessings.

I wish they will called the little Prince Alain, to me is such a beautiful name.

However I don't think they will since it is the last name honoring Marie's father, but I hope. :blush:

On the other hand almost all boys on the family (except Joachim and Nikolai) has the Henri/Henrik on their names, (either the french or the danish version).

Henrik ne Henri Marie Jean André

Frederik Andre Henrik Christian
Joachim Holger Valdemar Christian

Nikolai William Alexander Frederik
Felix Henrik Valdemar Christian
Christian Valdemar Henri John
Henrik Carl Joachim Alain

Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe (Even though Henrietta comes after Mary's mother's name, Henrietta is also the feminine version of Henri/Henrik/Harry/Henry/Enrique, so they killed two birth with one stone).

rylt11 said:
Surely the queen will have a word with Joachim's older two boys about paper airplanes in church. She kept glancing over for a reason.

:D

Anyways, I was told the paper planes had psalms printed, but don't take my word for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think official pics will be released???

I agree , all the Marie and Mary both wore the Grey/Silver tones , for as this would have been an opportunity for something a bit more festive and colourful

Toned down colours are a very Scandinavian minimalistic sort of thing! It's cultural, Scandinavians normally don't like being too conspicuous! We do wear colours, but not to the same extend as in say, warmer climates. It's difficult to explain :whistling:.......I think it has something to do with the intensity of the sunlight. IMO the stronger colours come out when it's hot and sunny, but when it's gets cooler we tend to tone down again. We don't really think about it, it's second nature.

Sorry for wandering off the subject, but some of you noticed ......

Viv

Anyway, that's probably more than you wanted to know! Short version: The media here would probably call him Henrik II or Henrik Jr. regardless of the proper form!

Kalnel, on the contrary, it was very enlightening, thank you!

Viv

I have another solution in the difference question:

The husband of the Queen is Prins Henrik af Danmark, and the little prince is Prins Henrik til Danmark.

The toned-down colours are also a way to concentrate the attention to the one celebrated.

Princess Marie looked lovely and I found the whole "feel" of this christening far more relaxed than Christian's or Isabella's. IMO it is probably deliberate as they aren't the Crown Princely family and I assume they wanted something less formal.
Yes, it seems to me that this christening, with it's slight unformality, no ladies with hats, no major royals, other than the closest family, was an unofficial or even subconscious statement saying "we know our position given the state of things". Last time by Nikolai and Felix, the Crown prince wasn't even married, and they were the only grandchildren of the monarch, so it was with pomp and grandeur that they were christened. This time, the CP has 2 children and resumes the major duties, besides the queen, and they know that by the next generation they will go from being son and daughter in law of monarch to brother and eventually uncle/cousin of the king.

I was a bit disappointed in the name Henrik as the first name, all the other names are lovely would have preferred Henri as a first name instead of Henrik. Anyway, that's their choice. Christian looked very cute in his suit, especially the 3/4 length pants, pocket handkerchief cute too. It looked very informal hence no hats for the ladies. Isabella seems to be a very determined young lady with a mind of her own.

The official photos are beautiful. I was hoping for one, of just Marie,Joachim, Henri and the godparents, but oh well.
I had a dream last night that for some reason they changed the name Carl.
It was a beautiful ceremony, but I was disappointed there was no hats. Mary looked best I think :flowers:

Prins Christian charmer pressen - BT TV - BT.dk

In this video clip of the crown prince family exiting the church, it sounds like Frederick says , "Christian come here." followed closely by "Boy!"
I find it amusing to watch famous couples parent in public.
I don't think Frederik spoke English. The English "come here!" sounds very similar to Danish "kom her!", and then he said something else, that was hard to distinguish, and repeated "kom her, hurtigt" which means "come here, quickly!".

I liked the atmosphere at the christening. But it was sad, that about 50 % of the guests could not follow the service as it was in Danish. During the first choral you could see that only half of the people were singing and the other half looked bored or distracted.
It also seemed to me that Marie was not able to follow the service completely.

Christian was very funny and seems to be a very nice kid. But they should have an eye on Isabella's build. She seems to me quite plump.

Clothes:
I liked Mary's dress a lot, but Marie's dress was strange with the white underdress. In general i think it is nothing wrong with wearing any color - also black- at a christening. At least in Germany i've got the feeling you can wear any color everywhere. I also found it nice that they did not wear headpieces/hats. They always look very disguised with hats and in a informal service and reception it is very exceptional to wear a hat. (At least from my background i do not know a single woman who owns a headpiece.)

To me it is strange, that they bought a new christening robe. Why did they not use one already used by family members???
(Here you may see, that the one Nicolai and Felix wore is different to the one yesterday:
Kongehuset - Kongehuset - HH Prins Nikolai - Fotogalleri pic no 19. (tulle with satin bands)
Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Billedkalender (cotton) )

Henrik Carl Joachim Alain is a wellreasoned name to me, with references to the father, the godfather and the grandfather. But it is also very boring. I would have used Carl as the first name. Two Henriks in one family is confusing. (At least in Germany (We do not "number" people e.g Henrik II. or use Jr./Sr.) it will be very confusing.)

I wasn´t at all surprised by the chosen name. It´s a lovely name and it makes sense to me. Prince Joachim can be very proud of his gorgeous family. His sons are by far IMO the handsomest of the DRF. The little one is simply adorable .
What a nice ceremony as well.

That was my first royal celebration on-line. This is completly different feeling to see everything 'live'. I was a little surprised by the chosen name, but I like it. Whole ceremony was very familiar.
Now I can only wish little Henrik all the best in his life :D

I did a mistake , the two most elegant ladies were Baroness Flemming and Marianne Engel.
I was very disapointed about Marie/Marie's dresses as mother and godmother.

For me Prince Joachim was looking if it was his first born child..both Marie and Joachim did not listen to much to the Bischop 9 minutes's speach and the whole church was singing except them.
For me it is too easy, the first wedding failed , each had mistresses and lovers , they had to wait until Fredrick's wedding to divorce.
And now Alexandra remains a Danish Countess , may keep her royal tiara which was a present, is married to a handsome young man and is happy again.
Joachim found a beatiful french middle-class young lady , married her has a wonderful third boy and they are happy.
If this little Prince is called Henrik is it surely because Prince Henrik is the one who is the most involved with Alexandra's boys , he likes them and they like him.
But this situation is to me as a H.C. Andersen's fairy tale. (sorry for my ad english)

To me it is strange, that they bought a new christening robe. Why did they not use one already used by family members???
(Here you may see, that the one Nicolai and Felix wore is different to the one yesterday:
Kongehuset - Kongehuset - HH Prins Nikolai - Fotogalleri pic no 19. (tulle with satin bands)
Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Billedkalender (cotton) )

I read somewhere that the older boys' christening gown was purchased by Alexandra so maybe Marie didn't want to use it.

Maybe they (and we) will refer to the new prince as little Henrik. I don't see why people are so concerned about confusion. Will you be confused when they say "Henrik is learning to ride a tricycle"? I think you'll know by context and photographs.

I`m the only one who liked Marie`s dress?;)

I liked it too. I think it was a good choise for the mother of the chistening child to wear, i bit sober but stylish.
Marie is a very beatiful woman.

I would like to thank everyone who provided us all the videos and photo links. Thank you.

Is there a diminutive form of Henrik is Denmark? In Britain they used the nickname for Prince Harry who is actually Henry (the English version of Henrik). Maybe at home they will call him Rik or something shorter.

If you say so....why are the duke's of York daughters titled HRH as he is not going to be a king?

Becuase its the monarc who desides it and this is what Queen Margrethe have chosen.
In UK the rules are different because its Queen Elizabeths decision.

I thought Alexandra, Joachim's cousin, had a nicer looking dress than either the mother or stepmother. One has to be careful with lace dresses, the lining has to be just so to look well. Perhaps a lace jacket with a plain skirt or over a dress would have worked better...

Where was Princess Benedikte? There were pictures of her at Grasten, but didn't see her at the christening. Good of Anne Marie to come. She looks so charming, always. Nice summery dress.

As to the christening robe, did Felix and Nikolai wear the same one, the one used by all royal babies, or is there a special robe for those who are born to the immediate successor to the current monarch?

Though pretty, this christening robe did not rise to the level of something a prince might wear. Just wondering if only Frederick's children are permitted to wear the special one now that he is married and has a family. Were Joachim's first children permitted to wear it before, since there were no children of Frederick's at the time? Or did they wear a different one that Joachim and Alexandra bought?

Does anyone know?

I meant the mother or godmother. Please merge this to fix it. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom