Christening of Prince Henrik: July 26, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are some photos of the Danish royal children during the christening:

Billed-Bladet - Kongelige krudtugler til barnedåb - se billederne
Rylt11-you raise some very good points about Marie's participation in the service. It is quite possible that she does know the songs and some of the prayers, but perhaps she just became nervous and giddy during the christening, and was more focused on her family and keeping the baby calm. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that she helped to select, or at least knew the hymns that were sung, and probably knew what the bishop would say and/or read. I think that she was just so focused on the baby, and also on the fact that her family members were there. Of course, this is just my assumption.

Someone asked about Princess Benedikte's absence from the christening. She was attending the dressage championships that her daughter, Princess Nathalie, was riding in (and won):
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=972094&postcount=41

Last edited:
hey people who are the godparents of the little prince Henrik

The godparents are:
Benjamin Grandet (Marie's brother)
CP Mary
Britt Siesbye (friend of Joachim and Marie)
Charles Cavallier (Marie's brother)
Christian Scherfig

sgl --- Thank you for acknowledging Marie's actions during the ceremony. I think the baby, who is only a couple of months old, was not happy because he was being propped up to a sitting position for too long a period for his developmental stage. He would have been happier lying down in his mother's arms. Marie was probably trying to enable others to see him, but it was for too long a period and he reacted accordingly.

I mention her lack in participation only because she is seen so rarely that it is important for her to put her best foot forward and act like the princess she is now. I am reminded of the director of her school in Switzerland, who said she was in the wrong place at the wrong time but for the right reasons. Her winning smile has enabled her to sidestep expectations before !

On viewing the video again, a very good video, thank you, I noted that it was Prince Frederick who was also engaged in folding paper to create airplanes. If he initiated the activity, then Joachim's boys should not take the blame. It should go elsewhere.

It was also noted that Christian had behaved so well at Isabellas' christening. If he could behave for his sister's event, then he should behave equally well for his cousin's christening. Expectations should be the same, whether it's a country church or a big cathedral in Copenhagen, or if it is the crown prince's child versus the child of a different prince. Just a little too much "relaxez-vous" on Sunday in my opinion.

I agree with you, rylt11. I was also surprised to see the older children creating paper airplanes during the ceremony. I know that it is difficult to keep young children still during church functions, but Nikolai and Felix should have known better. I'm sure that they received quite the talking-to by their grandmother and father. It was cute to see, but it was not appropriate for the service. Princess Alexandra's children seemed well-behaved during the event. And as for Crown Prince Frederik, there are simply no words. He definitely knew better, but maybe he figured that it would keep Christian quiet. Who knows. Overall, it was a very nice christening, and the church looked beautiful. The nicest part, IMO, was seeing Prince Joachim and Princess Marie beaming with happiness and love for their baby.

Here is another article about the christening:
http://www.merryroyals.com/2009/07/27/christening-of-denmarks-new-prince-henrik/

Last edited:
Yes, theirs is a real love-match. He, in particular, I think, values his new life, as he knows the tragedy he went through when his first marriage failed. This is a wonderful new beginning for him, and establishing a home once again, where all of his children feel that familial love and warmth, is paramount.

As for Christian and Isabella, the nanny was there and should have done what had to be done at the first sign of disruption of the beautiful service. If they can't behave, then out they go. Period.

I'm sure the queen was devastated, as she sang the hymns and participated to the fullest, like the queen she is. Marie should pick up on this. Mary has, and stayed with the service until her daughter's behavior got in the way of things. Poor Mary. She should have been relieved at the first inkling that Isabella was going to act like a normal 2 year old.

Children were ok during the christening! let them act like children! ok they made paper airplane but it's really no big deal! the ceremony was long for them and they certainly didn't understand what was going on.

Children were ok during the christening! let them act like children! ok they made paper airplane but it's really no big deal! the ceremony was long for them and they certainly didn't understand what was going on.

:previous:
I quite agree actually. At Princess Ariane's christening Amalia and Alexia messed about but they were being children. They will learn. I think they made the christening rather than spoilt it. :flowers:

There were two categories to the misbehaviors - the airplane making in the pews and the crying and wailing at the baptismal font.

The airplane incident was visually disruptive. If young children can't be calmed down with a snack, a book, something that is done discretely, then they can be removed from the premises by a nanny who was brought for that purpose. Nikolai and Felix don't need nannies to remove them, but should not be encouraged by adults to continue with those actions.

The crying at the baptismal font, totally interrupted the service, but was done by a very young child who obviously didn't know what was going on, and that her mother was busy with another obligation at the time. She should have been removed at her first resistance to stay where she didn't belong - and the noise she created later was not amusing.

I feel for Marie and, particularly, Joachim, to whom this service and this baby is so symbolic of a new life for him. I think it was total disrespect to allow Isabella to wail away as the bishop continued with the christening. She was not crying in the back of the church somewhere, but right at the font. Totally wrong, not cute, whether it involves royal parents or any parents.

To be honest I don''t think the children's behaviour was that bad. To me the most important thing was that they remained fairly quiet. You could still hear the bishop's talk and the singing. And I am sure none of the guests even noticed the making of paper planes we only saw it ourselves because the cameras focused in on it. Its not like they were throwing them about the church.

I think Isabella got upset when she had to leave her mother to go and sit back in the pews. Personally I don't think it would have done any harm to leave her sitting on her mummys knee for the short time that was left. Would have saved all that shouting!

I wonder why only the Danish royal children went up to the font and not Marie's nephew Zachary? I'm sure he was more than welcome at the front but was perhaps a bit shy

I could not see the video jet but how is doing Maire with her danish?

Granted that the airplanes could only be seen through the eyes of the camera and those who were immediately there. However, Nikolai and Frederik knew better. Goodnes knows, the wedding ceremonly last year was longer, they were younger, and there were no airplanes to be seen.

Christian wasn't there and neither was Isabella. Too young, altogether. Isabella is still young enough not to know when to stop talking because there is something important going on. For this reason, when she didn't stop becoming the focal point, she should have been gently removed from the scene, by a courtier, lady-in-waiting, her father, somebody. Then the nanny could have taken her outside to talk all she wanted.

I agree about Zachary, Marie's nephew. That would have been a very nice inclusion. Perhaps nobody told him ahead of time, or Marie didn't let him know how special it would be for her to have him there, as part of her family.

Alexandra's children were completely well behaved during the service. She was looking over at the goings on in front of her in total disbelief. It's all in the video.

Granted that the airplanes could only be seen through the eyes of the camera and those who were immediately there. However, Nikolai and Frederik knew better. Goodnes knows, the wedding ceremonly last year was longer, they were younger, and there were no airplanes to be seen.

Christian wasn't there and neither was Isabella. Too young, altogether. Isabella is still young enough not to know when to stop talking because there is something important going on. For this reason, when she didn't stop becoming the focal point, she should have been gently removed from the scene, by a courtier, lady-in-waiting, her father, somebody. Then the nanny could have taken her outside to talk all she wanted.

I agree about Zachary, Marie's nephew. That would have been a very nice inclusion. Perhaps nobody told him ahead of time, or Marie didn't let him know how special it would be for her to have him there, as part of her family.

Alexandra's children were completely well behaved during the service. She was looking over at the goings on in front of her in total disbelief. It's all in the video.

I have to agree that Alexandra's children were very well behaved and they are the same age as Joachim's boys. However I would have to say that Frederik should not have encouraged the plane making. He should have shown Christian how to make one.

I think Isabella was hardly making any noise until she was being taken away from Mary. She should have been left with her to sit on her knee. Yes Mary was there as a godmother but she didn't have to give a reading or anything. She was just required to sit in a seperate seat. And personally I think it would have been acceptable to Isabella to join her. When the nanny did come and take her thats when the screaming started. So if it was me I think it would have been preferable to leave her at the front than to have had the noise disruption

I'm sure the queen was devastated, as she sang the hymns and participated to the fullest, like the queen she is. Marie should pick up on this. Mary has, and stayed with the service until her daughter's behavior got in the way of things. Poor Mary. She should have been relieved at the first inkling that Isabella was going to act like a normal 2 year old.

IMHO the Queen was more than likely not devastated. My goodness, this is real life and these are young children, not robots. Marie did her best to keep her baby calm and quiet. Why poor Mary? It would have been worse to take Isabella away and have her scream at that. Yes, it would have been better if the paper airplane making never started, I think people are blowing this out of all proportion.:)

Did you not see the video and her expression? The queen was not pleased.

Frederick showed much disrespect to his brother and his wife - and, worse than that- letting his nephews know that it was OK to do that. I'm sure that if the situation had been reversed, Joachim would certainly not have been involved in teaching kids how to make paper airplanes.

Mary knew that Isabella should be removed. She was talking through the bishop. Her mother tried to stop that,to no avail, she signalled to her husband to come and get her, to no avail. Mary knew all of this was wrong. By letting it go, Isabella escalated and by the time somebody got her out of there, the incident took a life of its own.

This is not the baptism of a third child of a princely couple, but the first baptism of a child who symbolizes a new beginning of a new life for his father. It is a very special day for that very reason.

Marie and Joachim made a lot of arrangements and went to a lot of detail to ensure a beautiful church, service, meal, opening their home to family and closest friends. They derserve better than that.

Well I guess everyone is going to have different opinions. Personally I think it is great to see this generation of royal children acting like children. I don't see anything disrespectful about that. Acting as though it somehow ruined the whole ceremony is taking thing at little too far for me.

Did you not see the video and her expression? The queen was not pleased.

Frederick showed much disrespect to his brother and his wife - and, worse than that- letting his nephews know that it was OK to do that. I'm sure that if the situation had been reversed, Joachim would certainly not have been involved in teaching kids how to make paper airplanes.

Mary knew that Isabella should be removed. She was talking through the bishop. Her mother tried to stop that,to no avail, she signalled to her husband to come and get her, to no avail. Mary knew all of this was wrong. By letting it go, Isabella escalated and by the time somebody got her out of there, the incident took a life of its own.

This is not the baptism of a third child of a princely couple, but the first baptism of a child who symbolizes a new beginning of a new life for his father. It is a very special day for that very reason.

Marie and Joachim made a lot of arrangements and went to a lot of detail to ensure a beautiful church, service, meal, opening their home to family and closest friends. They derserve better than that.

I did see the video. Yes, it would have been ideal if all the children had behaved better, and Fred really shouldn't have started the airplane incident. Marie and Joachim did go to a lot of trouble, and by their smiles it seems that this was still a very special day for their family. :flowers:

Completely agree with your posts rylt11. Couldn´t believe my eyes when I saw that Frederik was involved with the airplane making and agree that it showed a lack of respect. I think Frederik was probably feeling a little overwhelmed with keeping 4 kids entertained :rolleyes:

This is not about ruining the ceremony. The ceremony was beautiful. These are comments about behaviors among those who should know better.

Children will be children. However, it is the role of the adults to guide them. When the adults are encouraging disrespect (and I'm referring to Frederick with Nikolai and Felix, not so much little Christian, who doesn't know the difference too much yet), then that's wrong.

Isabella should have left when she started talking through the ceremony. Talking in the pews in one thing, talking at the font is something else. Wailing is off the radar.

Re keeping 4 kids entertained - last year the two older children did not need to be entertained through a longer service.

Frederik needs to watch out for his own two, the others are fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the name but I didn't think they would have chosen Henrik for a first name. I never thought i'd see Carl as a middle name for a royal child. :flowers:
Does anyone know why Isabella was crying? Because she didn't like being away from her mother perhaps? :)

Well, Sweden has a King Carl XVI... or were you just thinking middle names?

Let's move on. This is suppose to be a record of Prince Henrik's christening. It is not meant to be a debate about who was right or wrong about making paper planes in church. Let's not try to impose our standards on others by repeatedly stating or viewpoint and always trying to get the last word in.

Thanks for your cooperation! :flowers:

Mandy
Danish Forum Moderator

Maybe royals have a greater sense of heritage and tradition than others, because of the position they are in? That might promote more naming of children to honor their ancestors and family members.

It is often because they want to honor family members, and also to keep tradition alive. For example, the male heir to the Danish throne is usually named Christian or Frederik. The names are alternated between generations.

Mandy, I think you're right. The behavior issues will be handled privately within the royal family.

It was a very beautiful event, the weather couldn't have been better, the parents were happy and beaming with pride, many family members from both sides were able to attend.

The town also had a chance to pay tribute to their little prince, who they will see often as he grows up, goes to school, and leads his life there. Much pride and happiness all around.

Are there some videos on youtube???

I have to say that I don't really like the official pictures.
The background looks kind of cold and the pictures look so stiff.
I haven't been a fan of this room when they did the official wedding pictures there, and I like it even less now.

What surprised me was the small or non existing role of Nikolai and Felix. They were not included in the ceremony. I thought that they would have a seat after Joachim and Marie.

Back
Top Bottom