What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ricarda said:
I don't think Madame Royale was referring to the other cp couples
but she was responding to Francos statement (which she quoted)
that J&A, although divorced, would make the better cp couple.

The best couple:
IMO meaning: the majority of Danes is very fond of them and thinks they couldn't be better,
IMO not meaning: the other cp couples are not as good.

IMO, I think Marengo's interpretation of Madame Royale's statement is right on the money.

I think that Mary and Frederik are good, in that they don't really make large mistakes. However, I wouldn't go as far as to say that they are great. I'm not Danish, so as people are so fond of saying here, I am not in a position to judge. So, i'll say this: for all their gaffes, divorces, and airing of Dirty Laundry in public, Im very, very glad that Queen Elizabeth II is my head of State. As messed up as Prince Charles' personal life is, you can't say that he doesn't take his duties very seriously.

Last edited:
Thanks Ricarda, after re-reading Madame Royale's post that is indeed the most logical way to interpret it. If so, I do apologise for jumping to conclusions to soon.

ricarda said:
And it is Joachim and Alexandra who had affairs during their marriage
and provided the royal family with the first divorce since ages (though they handled it very well).
Alexandra's relationship with Martin started in 2003, for example.

I don't think that Joachim and Alexandra have had affairs has ever been concretely proven. It has been constantly speculated but it has never been proven. Martin and Alexandra met in 2003, I believe; they did not start dating then. Unless you have sources to prove otherwise?

How can things like that be proven?
I do have several sources but I doubt that these persons were actually in the room when A&M started their affair.
Unless A decides to tell it all (which I don't thing she will do) everything will be speculation.

The facts are: they met, there was a divorce, they are a couple now.
And several persons I know had the impression that their intimate relationship did not start after the divorce but before.

Anyhow, it doesn't really matter anymore and it's not really the topic of this thread.
(I was just responding to a post.)

As long as Frederik and Mary manage to make their marriage a success they will always be the better couple in my eyes.
And Frederik is IMO definitely more amiable and suitable for the throne than his brother.

Marengo said:
Thanks Ricarda, after re-reading Madame Royale's post that is indeed the most logical way to interpret it. If so, I do apologise for jumping to conclusions to soon.

Yes Marengo, you most certainly did jump to conclusions I'm affraid, but all is well and good..no harm done.lol.

My meanning was that the Danish populace would want no other couple than Frederik & Mary. My comment had absolutely nothing to do with their counterparts in any way, shape or form. Infact, the confusion didn't occur to me until after I had read your post.

IMO, I think Marengo's interpretation of Madame Royale's statement is right on the money

How wrong you were Jamerican.lol.

Lesson be taught: Never jump to conclusions :flowers:

Last edited:
Marengo said:

<Remarks deleted by Mandy/Administrator>

I'm not sure if Joachim would make a good king, but I think that Alexandra would make a great queen.

It is a good thing that the standards for 21st century royals have changed to the point when all you have to do is smile, and make a few speeches to be considered a good prince or monarch.

My apologies, Danes, but my perception of Fred is that he is a nice guy, but not the hardest working chap in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jamerican said:
I think that Mary and Frederik are good, in that they don't really make large mistakes. However, I wouldn't go as far as to say that they are great. I'm not Danish, so as people are so fond of saying here, I am not in a position to judge. So, i'll say this: for all their gaffes, divorces, and airing of Dirty Laundry in public, Im very, very glad that Queen Elizabeth II is my head of State. As messed up as Prince Charles' personal life is, you can't say that he doesn't take his duties very seriously.

Glad you are glad.:flowers:
I admit I personally would be very unhappy to have Charles for my future king.
I think he should leave the throne to his son.
I could cope with any of the current cp couples except for Charles&Camilla (and I am not a fanatic Diana fan:lol: ).

And who says Frederik doesn't take his duties seriously?
This is just an opinion stated by some messageboard members.
I happen to have a different opinion.:bang:

ricarda said:
How can things like that be proven?
I do have several sources but I doubt that these persons were actually in the room when A&M started their affair.
Unless A decides to tell it all (which I don't thing she will do) everything will be speculation.

The facts are: they met, there was a divorce, they are a couple now.
And several persons I know had the impression that their intimate relationship did not start after the divorce but before.

That's a bit black and white and most divorces are not so black and white.

There were also many stories of Joachim having affairs or drinking too much but that doesn't make those stories true or the sole reason for his and Alexandra's divorce either.

ricarda said:
Anyhow, it doesn't really matter anymore and it's not really the topic of this thread.
(I was just responding to a post.)

And I was just responding to yours. ;)

No offense taken here Jamaican. Madame Royale was spot on in her assessment as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't prefer Joachim and Alexandra as the reigning couple - never did, not even when Frederik was still unmarried. Frederik and Mary are IMO the right CP couple for DK (as to laziness I still don't subscribe to work for royals being only what is reflected in the media so can't even agree with you re Frederik there I'm afraid).
I don't quite understand why so many people find that Alexandra would make such a splendid queen - unless that is precisely what Alexandrea most aspires to become of course; the heart's desire is always a powerful driving force :rolleyes:.
But diversity of opinion is what makes the boards interesting of course :)

Added: this was meant as a reply to post 1266.

Jamerican said:
My apologies, Danes, but my perception of Fred is that he is a nice guy, but not the hardest working chap in the world.

Hmm...Lets see. He has trained in all 3 branches of the Danish Royal Millitary, working full time throughout most of his adultlife.

He is a frogman in the Special Forces of the Royal Danish Navy, a Major of the Army and Air Force Reserve, and a Commander in the Navy. He has been Senior lecturer with the Institute of Strategy at the Royal Danish Defence College since 2003.

In adition to that he has studdied at the University of Aarhus earning a Master in Political Science, also spending a year studdying at at Harvard University - Science of Government.

He has worked at the Danish UN mission in New York, and been stationed at the Danish Embassy in Paris.

He has partisipateded in several missions including Expedition Sirius 2000, and is an avid sportsman, fond of running and has completed several marathons, aswell as tennis and sailing.

He is a member of the International Sailing Federation and Young Global Leaders aswell as President of The Royal Danish Geographical Society and A Patron for Danish Red Cross and more then 20 other organisations and chareties.

In adition to fulfilling his royal duties on a daily basis.

It all sounds pretty hard working to me....

Alexandria said:
That's a bit black and white and most divorces are not so black and white.

There were also many stories of Joachim having affairs or drinking too much but that doesn't make those stories true or the sole reason for his and Alexandra's divorce either.

And I was just responding to yours. ;)

And I was responding to Franco's post who claimed that Frederik and Mary are a hedonistic couple
and that J&A would make a better cp couple.

I was not commenting the reasons of their divorce (nor am I in any way interested in them).
I simply stated the fact that so far J&A are the supposedly hedonistic couple.
Because I can't quite understand why some people insist that J&A are/were a perfect couple
although there were many rumours about them and although their marriage ended up in divorce.
I also said that it is Joachim who is supposed to be the heavy drinker and smoker.
But you put that one piece of my post out of its context.

I know that most divorces are not black and white.
And since I never saw J&A as a matching couple to begin with
I was not in the least surprised when the divorce was announced,
affairs or no affairs.

Last edited:
Well what I think about Mary is onlly what we can see in picutures and I must say that sheb really looks always a Princess, very profesional and very fashion all the time! But once I see some videos of her I think that she shows sometimes not a frindly face, sometimes it semas that she is "faking" and that she is not true at all! But just my opinion

biboquinhas said:
Well what I think about Mary is onlly what we can see in picutures and I must say that sheb really looks always a Princess, very profesional and very fashion all the time! But once I see some videos of her I think that she shows sometimes not a frindly face, sometimes it semas that she is "faking" and that she is not true at all! But just my opinion

I actually have the reverse opinon of Mary. In pictures I think she comes off as rather cold and distant but if you see video footage of her live she comes off as quite warm, friendly and sociable with whomever she is meeting or engaging with.

In pictures she comes off as a deer caught in the headlights and rather stiff in her posture and movement but in video she is quite charming and personable.

I agree with Alexandria.
At the beginning I thought Mary appeared quite cold and distant on pictures.
And she still does sometimes IMO.
But many people mentioned her warmth in interviews. So, I did not really know what to think of her.

But when F&M visited Germany this year I had the chance to see a little bit more of her on live-TV.
And I thought she was very warm and charming.

Mary is often accused of being media-crazy (I guess because of her Vogue-shooting).
But I actually think Mary likes her new life and role
but she does not feel comfortable in front of the photo and film cameras.
IMO she looked uncomfortable at her wedding and the baptism.
But she looked very comfortable in Schleswig when she was greeting the people and did not notice the filmcameras
or at the baptism in Norway when she was not the focus of attention.

Her behaviour reminds me a bit of my elder sister who also gets a bit stiff and somehow unnatural
whenever she is photographed or interviewed or the center of attention.

Last edited:
It's quite worrying that the Australian posts are constantly becoming personal in this thread. The thread is entitled, what is your opinion of Fred and Mary, and I have responded accordingly, with my own image. There is no need for personal attack. This is supposed to be a forum for dialogue and exchange. I am interested in European royalty, and this is my image of the Danish CPs.

It is my opinion that the Fred and Mary are not the ideal royal couple, that they do not look like they have values, that they do not work as hard as other CPs, that they are more hedonistic than other CPs - my image of the Danish CPs is very different to what I have of other European CPs. Just as other people love Fred and Mary and disagree, and the Danes seem to be very happy with them, and of course, I respect these opinions and do not engage on malicious attack.

It is also offensive and inappropriate to hear other posts rebuking and disagree with my OPINION (what I have never claimed as fact, but the thread does asks for your 'opinion') with some psychical response 'and you know it'. Go true blue.

Franco said:
It's quite worrying that the Australian posts are constantly becoming personal in this thread. The thread is entitled, what is your opinion of Fred and Mary, and I have responded accordingly, with my own image. There is no need for personal attack. This is supposed to be a forum for dialogue and exchange. I am interested in European royalty, and this is my image of the Danish CPs.

It is my opinion that the Fred and Mary are not the ideal royal couple, that they do not look like they have values, that they do not work as hard as other CPs, that they are more hedonistic than other CPs - my image of the Danish CPs is very different to what I have of other European CPs. Just as other people love Fred and Mary and disagree, and the Danes seem to be very happy with them, and of course, I respect these opinions and do not engage on malicious attack.

It is also offensive and inappropriate to hear other posts rebuking and disagree with my OPINION (what I have never claimed as fact, but the thread does asks for your 'opinion') with some psychical response 'and you know it'. Go true blue.

why do you say they LOOK like they have No values- what do you mean??

Last edited:
Of course people can disagree with other people's opinions. This whole thread is full of contradictory opinions. Disagreement isn't restricted to fact.

Franco, I am very interested about your opinion that Fred and Mary lack values and, as you say, are hedonistic. I have always adored them, but I'm genuinely curious about what makes you have such an impression. I don't want to engage in a duel or anything. I just would like to know more about an impression that is so different from mine. More specifically, to whom are comparing them and how do you justify the idea that they are more hedonistic than their princely peers?

I'm really interested in your opinon Franco as I find it interesting, particularly since you come from Australia and are not as seemingly ga-ga for Mary (and by extension Frederik) as many others I've encountered are. I do hope that you'll keep posting as I found your previous post in this thread quite interesting.

Franco said:
It is my opinion that the Fred and Mary are not the ideal royal couple, that they do not look like they have values, that they do not work as hard as other CPs, that they are more hedonistic than other CPs - my image of the Danish CPs is very different to what I have of other European CPs.

I think, to be fair to Frederik and Mary, the schedule of the Danish royals doesn't seem to be as rigorous or as demanding as the schedules of other royal families, such as the British or the Spanish royals who seem to carry out public engagements daily, sometimes two or even three a day.

I am disappointed however that in light of recent health issues faced by Queen Margrethe (knee surgery and the like) that Frederik especially has not stepped up to the plate a bit more and done more work as she's scaled back her duties in order to mend physically.

Mary seems to do more duties than her husband, which doens't bode well in my eyes as it is he who will be king one day and if in his thirties he performs just a handful of duties a week while his wife is performing double that, his leadership skills and his sense of responsibility do not seem that high for me.

Unlike other crown princes, I am not instantly familiar with a social issue that Frederik has taken to heart and championed in his role as crown prince. Willem-Alexandre is greatly concerned with water issues, Charles with environmental issues and organic farming, Felipe (by his country's association with these other countries) is frequently involved with Hispanic relations. Mary has thrown herself into representing Danish fashion and mental health, but what does Frederik represent as a "pet" cause?

To me, in his thirties, now married and with an almost one year old son, Frederik still comes off as a young adult. He shows no signs of maturing or leadership skills that will serve him in the future as King of Denmark. He seems to like his sports and his sailing (which is fine, it's good to have an outlet), and is in love deeply with his wife and his son (which is very important) but other than that I don't see much else in Frederik. He didn't even show up at the opening of the Danish parliament last week very polished. I read more than one comment here and at other forums about Frederik's need for a proper tailor.

Alexandria said:
Mary seems to do more duties than her husband, which doens't bode well in my eyes as it is he who will be king one day and if in his thirties he performs just a handful of duties a week while his wife is performing double that, his leadership skills and his sense of responsibility do not seem that high for me.

Have you researched Frederik's engagements? In the past week, he has participated in 6 activities. On the 2nd, he attended the ISWA Congress, the 3rd-the opening of the parliament, he also opened a railway exhibit and attended a memorial service for fire and rescue workers killed while on duty. Also, on the 8th, he inaugurated a new train. All this, while Mary has participated in four, including today's activity.

I think what happens is that Mary's activities are shown more in the press than Frederik's because of her popularity (compared to Frederik's), not just this week, but more than not.

Mathilde, I was just going to post the exact same thing you just said:)
I thought it a strange moment to comment on Frederik's activities since he has got so much coverage this week alone.

Alexandria, I think Frederik have a balanced representation of patronages ranging from association connected with Greenland to the Danish Dyslexia Organization, the national confederation of Hearing impaired to various arts and crafts associations and the Save the children fund.

Hi Alexandria, I don't think the term "ga ga" is the right word to use when referring that most Aussies are like that towards Mary. Perhaps a bit protective, but thats what "mateship" is all about when a peer gets shot down for so many wrong reasons by some people. But i can definately understand how that may seem come across as being "ga-ga"

In my opinon, as a Mary fan and an Aussie, I do not think Mary is perfect or extraordinary and she does have a lot to learn, understandably. Just like the other crown princesses. However, I think Mary is cool. :)

Last edited:
I second that Australian. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Australian said:
Hi Alexandria, I don't think the term "ga ga" is the right word to use when referring that most Aussies are like that towards Mary. Perhaps a bit protective, but thats what "mateship" is all about when a peer gets shot down for so many wrong reasons by some people.
What makes them "wrong"? The fact that you disagree with them?

princess olga said:
You know what I seriously don't understand about that? How come they are so, so very popular?! Is it because all the star-struck Aussie readers of Hello are voting as if their lives depended on it?

Seriously, when I think about what I know about Frederik as a person, it really is not much.

1. Is he smart? Dunno. The one interview with him I read had only one interesting thing to say, which was that he as a child felt distant from his parents. But that was it. Not someone with an interesting vision, imho.

2. Is he good looking? Mwah. He's ok looking but certainly not better looking than the other princes in the poll, Haakon and Felipe of Spain.

3. Mary.
Is she prettier, smarter, nicer or otherwise more special than, say, Letizia of Spain or Maxima of the Netherlands? What are Mary's redeeming qualities? She's not artistic and eccentric like Margarethe, she's not of the exotic beauty of her ex sister in law. Heck, she doesn't even work as hard (ok, not yet) as Alexandra.

I know liking someone (especially having only the media as a source) is in the eye of the beholder, but come on, what on the planet is just so special about this prettyfied girl-next-door over an obivously smart girl like Letizia, or an obviously gregarious and social girl like Maxima?

Why oh why, is really my question, is Mary so lionized? I'm mystified... I take it I must have some perhaps obvious blind spot when it comes to this, in my view, average-on-all-fronts couple.

The only reason I see for liking her is, weirdly, her father: he seems to be a down to earth kind of guy, a bit no nonsense. Maybe she is like him and is down to earth and that's what people like about her?

I think that they are who they ARE and we cannot make them perfect or change them. The most important thing is that they are happy the three together and that the Danish People likes them. But you cannot change them. I read and saw many interviews and he is quite intelligent and Mary does her job very well.

Little_star said:
What makes them "wrong"? The fact that you disagree with them?

Nope Little_star :)

When I say wrong, I mean reasons that are spiteful etc...i dont mean what is wrong as in correct or incorrect or in my personal opinon, that is not what i am referring to. It is wrong according to the term "mateship". I was explaining it in the context of mateship.

Last edited:
Australian said:
Nope Little_star :)

When I say wrong, I mean reasons that are spiteful etc...i dont mean what is wrong as in correct or incorrect or in my personal opinon, that is not what i am referring to. It is wrong according to the term "mateship". I was explaining it in the context of mateship.
Ah, ok. I see what you mean.
However, I'd have to disagree with you, as I don't know what the personal motivations of posters are, so I certainly wouldn't think that they were being spiteful or jealous, for example.

No 'click' yet

It is a pity that posters feel a Princess should 'transform' with stylistes et al. When you look at pictures of Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Máxima and Letizia, they are very much the same before and after the marriage. Prince Willem-Alexander even publicly stated that he hoped that the Máxima he learned to know and became in love with, would always remain the same Máxima (and not let her unique self be buried).

From all the 'Crown Princesses', let me name it that way, I have never felt a 'click' with Mary. She is the fake one, with her stylistes and her strange cover-photographs which are not at all comme-il-faut for royalty. Diana started with this and caused the Beckhamization of the monarchy. Mary should not let the old and ancient House of Schlesvig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg going the same path into the present anglosaxon disease of worshipping of celebrities and kissing every pooh-pooh of the likes of Paris Hilton or Madonna's African baby (the poor, poor thing).

It must be personal. Others praise her all the way up towards cloud nine. But there are always people you like or dislike on first sight. An initial feeling that is. I have that with Mary. For no second I believed in that marriage of her. She is the first who comes in my mind when it is about royal crises of the future.

Don't get misled by fairytale pictures. We all remember the last fairytale pictures of Alexandra and Joachim in between autumn leaves, with filtered light and oh-la-la l'amour. Not long later they announced their separation.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
It is a pity that posters feel a Princess should 'transform' with stylistes et al. When you look at pictures of Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Máxima and Letizia, they are very much the same before and after the marriage. Prince Willem-Alexander even publicly stated that he hoped that the Máxima he learned to know and became in love with, would always remain the same Máxima (and not let her unique self be buried).

From all the 'Crown Princesses', let me name it that way, I have never felt a 'click' with Mary. She is the fake one, with her stylistes and her strange cover-photographs which are not at all comme-il-faut for royalty. Diana started with this and caused the Beckhamization of the monarchy. Mary should not let the old and ancient House of Schlesvig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg going the same path into the present anglosaxon disease of worshipping of celebrities and kissing every pooh-pooh of the likes of Paris Hilton or Madonna's African baby (the poor, poor thing).

It must be personal. Others praise her all the way up towards cloud nine. But there are always people you like or dislike on first sight. An initial feeling that is. I have that with Mary. For no second I believed in that marriage of her. She is the first who comes in my mind when it is about royal crises of the future.

Don't get misled by fairytale pictures. We all remember the last fairytale pictures of Alexandra and Joachim in between autumn leaves, with filtered light and oh-la-la l'amour. Not long later they announced their separation.

Wow Henry M., very well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom