What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jasl thank you for your post, it was a pleasure to read :) I agree with absolutely everything you wrote, couldnt have put it better myself.

Jasl, I second that - great post.

I too like royals to recognize their backgrounds and so far I like the balance that Mary has between being undeniably a Danish princess now and her Aussie roots. She will of course have to keep that balance and put her present position first but so far she seems to be doing fine.
IMO, it's important to recognise the place where you spent you formative years since it's usually an important part of the person you have become.​

I think this dicussion called "What bothers you about Mary and Fredrik" is a bit odd. We can discuss this forever but the fact is none of us has ever sat down and had a normal convesation with them. All we know is how they act when they are in public doing their work which the seem to do very well, all in all we don't really know them at all, just their public persona. They are only humanbeings with the same insecurites and faults, noone is perfect.

UserDane said:
I too like royals to recognize their backgrounds and so far I like the balance that Mary has between being undeniably a Danish princess now and her Aussie roots. She will of course have to keep that balance and put her present position first but so far she seems to be doing fine.​
IMO, it's important to recognise the place where you spent you formative years since it's usually an important part of the person you have become.
The Crown Princess associates greatly with her upbring and homeland...that is expected and no doubt, shall never change.

The Crown Princess is Danish first & foremost. She is now part of Denmark's national identity and international image. Mary is part of the country's cultural blanket and executes her duties as Crown Princess & future Queen Consort With such poise, grace and humility...

"MII"

Last edited by a moderator:
UserDane said:
Jasl, I third that - excellent comments.
clap.gif

Amen

It's interesting Jasl thatyou praise Mary's background becuase for several Danes I know the fact that she is constantly emphasising her "Australianess" is a root for contention.

As they see it, she hasn't really embraced her new way of life at all. Her Australian background seems paramount.

I don't know what to think, in one hand there are danes that are very proud of her and think she is doing a good work, in the other hands, there are people on this forum that knows danes that have a different opinion. So probably if i have to make my own idea about how Mary is doing as a princess, it will be a match. I think people can make their own mind about other people and arrive to different conclusions, based on facts or even prejudices. Hope one day, all these things will calm down a bit and people try to know better how she is, giving her the opportunities to learn and evolve, not in what they wish but in what she is able and wish to.

Last edited:
I don't think that Mary is constantly emphasizing her "Australianness",
at least no more than Henrik is emphasizing his "Frenchness" or Alexandra her "Eurasianness".
(The British/Australian media does emphasize it and sometimes her step-mom.:) )

Several Danes I know think that Mary is and behaves just like a Dane.
I personally think that she has adjusted herself well to her new country's lifestyle.
Much better than for example Maxima who is still very "un-Dutch" in my eyes (I lived in the Netherlands for 3 years.) -
and I don't mean this in a negative way, she is just very "South-American".

But of course Mary will never be 100% Danish.
Some Danes may have a problem with that and others don't.

Last edited:
[Much better than for example Maxima who is still very "un-Dutch" in my eyes (I lived in the Netherlands for 3 years.) -
and I don't mean this in a negative way, she is just very "South-American".]

Maxima is my favourite european princess, and i think that she doesn't have to be dutch to be a good princess, she just needs to embody dutch values and tradition, i think that her personality and latin roots is an advantage to her, she's just do lovely.

i like Mary, but i wish she was just not so resrved in public, but i do agree with those that say that she has adapted to a danish way of life, which is good.
and no, we will never know her personally and i think this discussion isn't focusing on that but on how she comes across to the people, our impressions not what she is or like behind closed doors or as a friend, the point of a monarchy is the way you represent yourself to the people and she seems to come across to ME as reserved and too selfconsience on being the perfect princess, not a bad thing but thats how i see her

ricarda said:
I don't think that Mary is constantly emphasizing her "Australianness",
at least no more than Henrik is emphasizing his "Frenchness" or Alexandra her "Eurasianness".
(The British/Australian media does emphasize it and sometimes her step-mom.:) )

I agree with your view. I have not met any fellow-Danes who complain about her being 'too Australian'. We are used to influence from outside and the only negative voices I have heard on that account has been the French influence from prince Henrik; a lot of things about him, not least his methods of child rearing, have over the years been discussed in the media as being 'too French'.

And perhaps a lot of the Australia-related activites are more or less forced upon Mary? Every museum, company and institution will be eager to make the best out of an increased contact with another country - it may not be Mary who comes up with the idea of exhibitions focusing on Australia, trade initiatives tailored for Danish-Australian connections - but she may very well give offence if she declines to attend them.. who knows?

I dont think Mary acts alone, I think the way she does as a princess is of course based on her own character and personality but also on the way she is being advised. If she is reserved and try hard to embody a certain type of role, it is based on the advises of the people that is working with her. She is not the one that has the experience of how to behave as a princess but probably the people that is working from the beggining with her who teach her how to perform in public. Those are possibly the ones that are responsible, without taking her own for learning or not what she is being taught.

Little_star said:
It's interesting Jasl thatyou praise Mary's background becuase for several Danes I know the fact that she is constantly emphasising her "Australianess" is a root for contention.

As they see it, she hasn't really embraced her new way of life at all. Her Australian background seems paramount.

Your relations (or people you know) are but 7 indaviduals within a nation of around 5 million or so..there shall no doubt be others who may share their view but they are definitly the minority.

"MII"

__________________________________________________________________________________________

It is possible that we can expect a drove a Mary "lashings" when HRH opens the Australian Art Exhibition on the 7th, or infact when the Crown Princely Couple recieve the Tasmanian Devils. Heaven forbid she be seen being involved with anying Australian.lol. j/k

Last edited:
In Mary's defense of what some find promoting her Australian roots, Princess Grace of Monaco during her life went as far to set up a foundation in her name in the United States for American artists. I think it was called the Princess Grace of Monaco Foundation-US branch. It set up for Americans only, and I don't think anyone in Monaco had a problem with it. Maxima travels to Argentina quite a bit.

Monaco is very small and very international so there would be no problem with her American connections. Maxima travels to argentina alot and keeps connections with her roots but she doesnt exploit it. I dont have a problem with Mary being australian and I dont even think it is her fault all the time for the australian side of her being emphasized so much. The media does that alot but is all a part of the fairytale image.

Little_star said:
In what way is Scottish society "conservative"? Moreoverhow exactly is there a culture clash between the 2 countries?

Countries with a long history of political problems with their own structures of society (clan system) and with their neighbours (England) tend to be quite traditionalistic. Add to that a rough climate and thus poorness, a position apart from the main trade routes and you get a society which needs to upheld "conservative" views and virtues as a means to survive. While of course Scotland and the Scottish change with every new generation, I think it can be safely said that Scotland in its attitudes is still a rather conservative country.

While Australia features a different climate, a very different history and a society mostly based on immigrants. There are quite some books on the market which deal with the cultural clash Europeans expereince when they emigrate to Australia - just go to your local bookstore and ask for recommendations (I could give you only some in German language at the moment).

But maybe you are interested in reading a book about the confrontation of Scottish settlers with a Briton who lived for 16 years with aborigines - then this might be something for you:

The novel "Remembering Babylon" by David Malouf deals with the cultural clash between 19th century white settlers (from Scotland) in Australia and the native Australian world view. Praised by many critics, the book won the 1996 International Impac Dublin Literary Award and was short-listed for the 1993 Booker Prize.

Jo of Palatine said:
Countries with a long history of political problems with their own structures of society (clan system) and with their neighbours (England) tend to be quite traditionalistic. Add to that a rough climate and thus poorness, a position apart from the main trade routes and you get a society which needs to upheld "conservative" views and virtues as a means to survive. While of course Scotland and the Scottish change with every new generation, I think it can be safely said that Scotland in its attitudes is still a rather conservative country.

While Australia features a different climate, a very different history and a society mostly based on immigrants. There are quite some books on the market which deal with the cultural clash Europeans expereince when they emigrate to Australia - just go to your local bookstore and ask for recommendations (I could give you only some in German language at the moment).

But maybe you are interested in reading a book about the confrontation of Scottish settlers with a Briton who lived for 16 years with aborigines - then this might be something for you:

The novel "Remembering Babylon" by David Malouf deals with the cultural clash between 19th century white settlers (from Scotland) in Australia and the native Australian world view. Praised by many critics, the book won the 1996 International Impac Dublin Literary Award and was short-listed for the 1993 Booker Prize.

Whilst that is fascinating and I will look for the book, I fail to see in what way 19th century settlers have to do with modern Scottish life, which is what Mary would have been exposed to.

My cousin moved from Glasgow to Melbourne, having lived her entire life in Scotland. She found the countires incredibly similar with the only main exception being the excellent weather.

There may be historical differences between the 2 countries but I think suggesting that that means they are automatically at odds culturally is a little unfair. After all, Britian has always been a nation of immigrants and Scotland reflects that.

Margrethe II said:
Your relations (or people you know) are but 7 indaviduals within a nation of around 5 million or so..there shall no doubt be others who may share their view but they are definitly the minority.

"MII"

You know, I'm not quite sure why you bother responding to my posts as all you ever seem to do is try to undermine what I have written.

My family may not number alot of people, but they live and breathe Copenhagen. They know what their friends and neighbours (who are Danish) are thinking and from what my cosuisn has told me it's more than a "minority" as you seem determined to persist who are dissatisfied with their Crown Princess.

hi
I am a new member here
i'd had to agree with little star. she expressed clearly what she and some of her family and friends think. which in my opnion is the aim of the forums for people to express their opnions. of course some people will disagree with others opnions which doesnt mean it is incorrect or to underestimate it.

you can say that we dont the princess truley but who know the royals in real life?!! even if some of us know them personally it will be minority of us. our opnions are based on what we see of them through media or short conatcts in the events but that doesnt mean we should hold our opinions back

that is why it is called opinions not facts.

Ariel said:
I don't know what to think, in one hand there are danes that are very proud of her and think she is doing a good work, in the other hands, there are people on this forum that knows danes that have a different opinion. So probably if i have to make my own idea about how Mary is doing as a princess, it will be a match. I think people can make their own mind about other people and arrive to different conclusions, based on facts or even prejudices. Hope one day, all these things will calm down a bit and people try to know better how she is, giving her the opportunities to learn and evolve, not in what they wish but in what she is able and wish to.
I think it's a good idea to make up ones own mind.

Personally I haven't met many Danes here in Copenhagen that dislike Mary, but as there are a great number of people in Copenhagen, it is difficult to know what all of them think ;)

Little_star said:
You know, I'm not quite sure why you bother responding to my posts as all you ever seem to do is try to undermine what I have written.

My family may not number alot of people, but they live and breathe Copenhagen. They know what their friends and neighbours (who are Danish) are thinking and from what my cosuisn has told me it's more than a "minority" as you seem determined to persist who are dissatisfied with their Crown Princess.

Off course people in Denmark and Copenhagen may have very different opions of Mary. But I 'live and breathe Copenhagen' as you say aswell. To the best of my knowledge the people in Denmark who find Mary to be too rooted in Australia (and do not like her) is by far a minority as I have never met one person who has expressed that. what I have always heard from other danes is that they like Mary and are very proud of our crownprincess! Also non of the media in Denmark spend time critizising Mary - she is always
praised highly.

Every time I log on to this forum I am so sad to see that this particular thread is still open - it makes me not wan't to post anymore. I still have not figured out why there are so many people around who dislike Mary. As I just said I strongly believe that Mary is quite loved and adored here in Denmark, but I would love it if people outside of Denmark would be able to recognise what a gift Mary has been not only to our country but to her husband aswell. Frederik is smiling from ear to ear everytime we see him, and I believe that Mary is responsible for that.

Besides from that I find that she fulfills her duties perfectly and she is a lovely wife and mother. I do not know Mary personally - like the rest of you I can only judge her by pictures and interviews. Even so I find her amiable and admirable and I trust she will be a wonderfull queen one day.

I sincerely hope that this thread soon will loose the interest it has had from so many people - it makes me sad everytime I see it.

I never posted in thread, not because I find it stupid or something (all people have their right to express themselves and their opinion sould be respected) but because I don't have anything to say.
There is nothing that bothers me about Crown Prince Frederik and nothing that bothers me about Crown Princess Mary. They are a very nice couple, who do a hard job for their country, and do it very well indeed.
As for Crown Princess Mary's Australian roots, I am afraid I'm biased. I love Australia, so for me it's only an advantage;) . And, judging by the Danes who post here, the majority of the people of Denmark are perfectly satisfied with her. And they surely know better then us.:rolleyes: :)

I think its about time I made this comment/warning.

Please don't bring your relatives into the fold. This forum is about discussion where you may definitely bring in YOUR own opinion, but please don't make assumptions about your relatives and their opinions. If your relatives are interested in monarchy, they may join the forum and speak for themselves.

From this point onwards, please refrain from commenting for someone else (unless you have substantial proof) of their opinion, talks with relatives at family gatherings don't count.

I know the above may be seem harsh, but this is a necessary step to keep the thread from going insane and prevent harsh comments.

Thanks for your intended cooperation,

pdas1201
Danish Family Supermoderator

P.S. If you have any comments/questions about this warning, please PM me and don't post it directly onto the thread.

Little_star said:

waitaminute, how is it bad that Mary's Australian background features still in her life? Of course her Australian background is paramount--to her. It helped sculpt her identity, as she lived there till well into adulthood.
To compare to myself, I lived in the Netherlands until age 25 and then moved to the States. I chose to live abroad, certainly, but somehow that hasn't kept me from referencing my European culture quite often, whenever appropriate. I don't mean to do it, and even try not to bring up my background a lot, but every so often, I do simply because having lived there for most of my life, it is still a HUGE point of reference. Can't help that. I bet the same is true for Mary.

Of course, I am nowhere near a situation where I have to represent the country that's my current home, like Mary does. Only if she's riding around Copenhagen on her horse touting the Aussie flag, then you might have a point. Otherwise, I don't really see how she is referencing her background so much that it's annoying, or hurting Denmark. Certainly, when I read about things like those poor Tasmanian Devils having to make the 1000-mile-plus trek to cold rainy Denmark for reasons that have to do with Mary, I do scratch my head, bt that's not necessarily Mary's fault. She certainly didn't tell anyone in Tasmania to send her those two devils, at least, I doubt she did.

Well...I know I'm not the first, or last for that matter, but at first I didn't think too much about Mary. Now, I really like her. She is gorgeous and seems to know what she's doing--and that's what I admire her for. I would like to see her pick up more charity works, though. :)

Princess Mary is doing a great job..at the beginning I didnt find anything special in her..but with the time, I have seen how she´s improving in her duties..looking very secure, smiling, trying to take more and more the danish culture for herself..she seems very very comfrotable with her role and she shows it through her style and attitude...well done Princess Mary of Denmark!!:eek::)

Australian said:
So you are converted now, princess olga? lol

I really like the recent pics of her:)

I might well be, Australian, I might well be.

I am starting to come around to something here: what I previously thought to be annoying goody-two-shoesness might well actually be nothing less than utter decency.

Margrethe II said:
Its not just about what HRH wears "PO"..its the whole package!!! :)

"MII"

Very true, MII. Stylishness is after all always more than just wearing the right outfit.

kaydura0717 said:
Well everyone is allowed a fashion mistake once and awhile. I mean she can't be perfect all the time. But most of the time she is.

Is there really such a thing as being "perfect" a majority of the time? For all rational & logical human beings this theory is completely impossible. No one in this world is "perfect" in every sense of the word. We all have our imperfections, we "mess up" and make silly decsions from time to time, that is what makes us unique. Even Princesses are not perfect; we would like to think so, but let's be rational here, they're not.

Mary has done a pretty good job so far as a representative for Denmark. People should be proud, but by no means is she perfect. I'm sure she would agree with me on this one if she took an active participation in this discussion.

GlitteringTiaras said:
Is there really such a thing as being "perfect" a majority of the time? For all rational & logical human beings this theory is completely impossible. No one in this world is "perfect" in every sense of the word. We all have our imperfections, we "mess up" and make silly decsions from time to time, that is what makes us unique. Even Princesses are not perfect; we would like to think so, but let's be rational here, they're not.

Mary has done a pretty good job so far as a representative for Denmark. People should be proud, but by no means is she perfect. I'm sure she would agree with me on this one if she took an active participation in this discussion.

No, obviously the perfect human being does, luckily, not exist. However, and I know that I am putting words in the mouth of kaydura0717, I think that what was meant was that HRH Crown Princess Mary is "most of the time" perfect in the role of crown princess. After all, that is the only base of judgement that we have. And here, I absolutely agree with kaydura0717.

On an entirely different note, HRH Crown Princess Mary will participate in the celebrations in connection with the 60th birthday of HM the King of Sweden on April 29 and 30. I wonder what her husband is doing since she will go by herself:confused:

/Lasse Pedersen

No, obviously the perfect human being does, luckily, not exist.

No? No what?

If I think you mean, what I think you meant:), basically you just concurred my original argument.

I think that what was meant was that HRH Crown Princess Mary is most of the time perfect in the role of crown princess.

But you just contridicted yourself here. You noted that no one is perfect, yet as a Crown Princess Mary is perfect most of the time. Logically you cannot have it both ways. What is the perfect or most of the time perfect Princess? Rationally speaking there is no such thing. Humans, even Princess, are not perfect.

Getting way off topic here so let's stick to the main topic.

/Lasse Pedersen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom