What Advice Would You Give To Mary?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Emmily said:
Well said. I'm amazed at some of the posts here and how mean and critical they are. No, she's not perfect, but give her a time to grow into her role! She's been married a little over a year and is now expecting her first child. I think she'll do her new country proud.

Right on Emily!! These negative criticisms of Mary are not warranted IMO. Give the woman a break! You cannot become royal overnight. She wasn't born a royal. She needs time to get into her role and on top of that she is pregnant!!

If I was going to give her advice, it would have been NOT to get pregnant in the first year of marriage. Settle in with Frederik and start adapting to your role. The children would soon follow.

no more covers or interviews on magazines! honestly, my idea of mary changed so much after seeing all those covers in such a short time after her marriage. to me, that isn't the way of supporting monarchy or the associations she is patron to. as other poster in this forum said, having to support the fashion of a country doesnt mean you need to pose for vogue wearing expensive clothes (practically all of them, excluding one or two, from international designers) and most of them were non danish magazines (except from dansk). also, being princess doesnt mean you need to give interviews telling how much your life changed since. to me that was really pretentious and not discreet or elegant at all. seemed to me she wanted to be a model more than a princess and that she had her ego as high as a mountain.

"no more covers or interviews on magazines! honestly, my idea of mary changed so much after seeing all those covers in such a short time after her marriage. to me, that isn't the way of supporting monarchy or the associations she is patron to. as other poster in this forum said, having to support the fashion of a country doesnt mean you need to pose for vogue wearing expensive clothes (practically all of them, excluding one or two, from international designers) and most of them were non danish magazines (except from dansk). also, being princess doesnt mean you need to give interviews telling how much your life changed since. to me that was really pretentious and not discreet or elegant at all. seemed to me she wanted to be a model more than a princess and that she had her ego as high as a mountain."

I completely agree, Mary is not the only woman of a non-royal background to marry a Crown Prince and yet she's the one who has handled the tranistion the worst.

The topic is about adivce that can be given to Mary, it can come in many forms.
It's not just a Mary lovefest.

well personally i think she has handled the position quite well. It is a difficult position to take on and my hat goes off to Mary. So what if she does alot of photos? She is trying to become the face of Denmark, she is trying to publicise the country that she happens to be the future queen of. Why critisize for trying to do that?

Last edited:
"So what if she does alot of photos? She is trying to become the face of Denmark, she is trying to publicise the country that she happens to be the future queen of. Why critisize for trying to do that?"

Except Denmark features very little in alot of her interviews. It's often just fluffy stuff about how wonderful being a Princess is and how she met Frederick.

Little_star said:
"So what if she does alot of photos? She is trying to become the face of Denmark, she is trying to publicise the country that she happens to be the future queen of. Why critisize for trying to do that?"

Except Denmark features very little in alot of her interviews. It's often just fluffy stuff about how wonderful being a Princess is and how she met Frederick.

But its not upto her what questions she gets asked, she only answers the questions she is given, im sure if the interviewers asked her questions about her role and important stuff, then she would answer them properly and actually talk about them. If she gets asked questions about how she met Fred and being a princess etc, its not her fault, it is just the questions she is given to answer.

Australian, as with most celebrity interviews, the questions are agreed on by the interviewer and the interviewee before it takes place. Moreover there will be certain topics that will be expressly forbidden. For example Mary might say she doesn't want to comment on Alexandra's divroce. She can steer th interview whichever way she chooses by simply saying she doesn't want to talk about how she met Frederick. She never does that though.

She is fairly new to the media game, its only been a year and a bit. But i think we are going to have to agree to disagree :)

I have to point out that Mary has only done two fashion shoots. Then a Vanity fair (done by almost every royal in Europe) nd her engagement interview which Alex also did. The only reason you see the photos everywhere is b/c other magazines are reproducing them. She has only done a few interviews too. Again, they have been reproduced extensively. So yes, you are going to read about her and Fred meeting. Because in the few interviews that were done with her that is what they asked.

I do not believe that the anger towards Mary is unwarrented. If you are going to be pissed at Mary for something so little as the above, then you have to be angry with all the other crown princesses too. I would be easy to pick all of them apart if that is what you wanted to do. It just happens you don't like Mary.

I think Mary is doing fine and a fantastic job. I hope she keeps it up.

Fashionista100 said:
So yes, you are going to read about her and Fred meeting. Because in the few interviews that were done with her that is what they asked.

I think Mary is doing fine and a fantastic job. I hope she keeps it up.

That is what i tried to say above. She only talks about meeting fred etc because they asked her, she didnt say anything like "please ask me about me meeting fred, please" or something, C'mon, honestly.
And yes, she is doing a top job

"She is fairly new to the media game, its only been a year and a bit."

True, she is new to the fame game, but we live in an era where fame and celebrity somtimes seems to be everything. Everyone knows the power and responsbility that comes with being famous and these days nobody can, in my opinion, claim they did not know what to expect. Maybe they could get away with that excuse 10 to 15 years ago but not anymore.

"If you are going to be pissed at Mary for something so little as the above, then you have to be angry with all the other crown princesses too. I would be easy to pick all of them apart if that is what you wanted to do. It just happens you don't like Mary."

I don't believe I've ever discussed Mary with you, so how can you possibly know my opuinion of her. In addition I don't even know the lady so how can I possibly dislike her? From what I've seen of her so far I don't think there's much to her and ther are other Royal ladies who've adapted to their roles much better.

"She only talks about meeting fred etc because they asked her, she didnt say anything like "please ask me about me meeting fred, please" or something, C'mon, honestly. "

The questions will be vetted and approved by her and her press advisers beforehand. That's the way most interviews work these days.

well if it is approved by her advisers, blame them. If the journalists do want to ask questions about how she met fred etc, then it would seem pretty rude of mary to tell them i dont want to aswer it, why would she want to not talk about it if she is asked? I mean its not a major thing to be concerned about.

Next year i graduate from uni and will become a journalist. Sometimes interviewees agree not to see the questions before hand in order to get some emotion when answering the questions so it seems they are not robots. I remember in the Denton interview, he asked Mary about a republic and you could tell she was not expecting the question. So after a moment of silence, Fred told Denton that it is not for them to answer.

My advice to Mary would be not to worry about the arm chair critics who find it so easy to criticize as they are not the ones in the 'hot seat'. Keep doing what you are doing! You have the love, support, loyalty and admiration of your husband Fred and the rest of the DRF, your own family, the Danish people and those people all over the world who have truly seen you grown in confidence in your role as Crown Princess of Denmark!

gattica28 said:
My advice to Mary would be not to worry about the arm chair critics who find it so easy to criticize as they are not the ones in the 'hot seat'. Keep doing what you are doing! You have the love, support, loyalty and admiration of your husband Fred and the rest of the DRF, your own family, the Danish people and those people all over the world who have truly seen you grown in confidence in your role as Crown Princess of Denmark!

Hi gattica28

All I can say is " WOW " ! IT IS ABSOLUTELY A " TERRIFIC ADVICE " ! WELL DONE ! :p

As a Crown Princess of Denmark, Mary is doing an excellent job and definitely she will continue to improve ! Keep up your good work, Mary ! We are sooooooo proud of your hard work and your dedication to your role ! :)

MAY GOD BLESS MARY AND FREDERIK AND DENMARK FOR EVER AND EVER ! :p

AMEM :p

Linda Hsu said:
Hi gattica28

All I can say is " WOW " ! IT IS ABSOLUTELY A " TERRIFIC ADVICE " ! WELL DONE ! :p

As a Crown Princess of Denmark, Mary is doing an excellent job and definitely she will continue to improve ! Keep up your good work, Mary ! We are sooooooo proud of your hard work and your dedication to your role ! :)

MAY GOD BLESS MARY AND FREDERIK AND DENMARK FOR EVER AND EVER ! :p

AMEM :p

I second that!!:):D :) :D :p :)

The topics of her interviews will change as time goes on. I doubt journalists ask Queen Sonja the same questions today as they did back when she'd first married Harald. People change, the press change.

Thanks for pointing out that it was not many interviews, Fashionista. I thought it wasn't, but everybody kept dragging it out, so much that I began to doubt myself. It's not much in the span of a year. It would have been much if she'd done one big one every month, but she doesn't.

I think the most important piece of advice for Mary is to be herself, as others have pointed out. If you start to change who you are, without really wanting to, then you quickly get miserable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom