Princess Mary's Personality

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would appreciate it if you can respond without the word "prejudice" or sarcasim. And let me refresh my points one more time since you don't seem to get it.

But I think there is a heavy element of prejudice here - so why should I not mention it? I have no problems understanding what you say - it's the reasoning behind that doesn't make any sense to me.

Mary modeled for fashion magazines and was hyped as fashion icon long before Danish court came up with the lame excuse of "supporting Danish fashion industry" as the reason for her doing fashion shoots in mostly foreign designers' gear no less. That sort of trapped her into the responsibility of promoting Danish fashion.
Saying that the Danish court came up with a lame excuse of supporting... is nonsense. Whether you can accept it or not, the fashion industry is BIG money-making business in Denmark these years. Not the haute-couture kind - no one never said that - but wearable 'ordinary clothes. Top earning industries in DK will naturally seek royal patronage.

(BTW, she's attending more fashion shows than the CIFF shows.)
Which was that? I only recall seing her at CIFF in later years, think the attended the children's show at one of the latest CIFF events.

Please refresh my memory.

I doubt that they will develop strong personalities like Margrethe is f.e.
I don't agree with your view about their suitability, quite the contrary.

And don't think that Margrethe was hailed as a 'natural' when she became queen in the early 70s. She followed her father who was a very down to earth person (Frederik is said to resemble him a lot); Margrethe was extremely shy and in 'people situations' clearly uncomfortable - a very different appearance than her father's. Margrethe has modelled her reign in accordance with her personality traits - her own son will do the same, and it will be fine I'm sure. Mary is already better in dealing closely with people than Margrethe ever was IMO.

....and if it bothers people that Mary knows how to put two pieces of clothing together and look the part that she is - viz. the crown princess - I am sure she can be convinced to spend a couple of years in ill-fitting clothes - if that will make her a better CPss :rolleyes: It seems that a sense of dressing yourself well and being a good CPss are considered to be mutually exclusive these days .....

Well, there isn't much of a choice, hmm?:rolleyes:
Which takes me back to the question if getting a job just by being born into a certain family is a good concept...:ermm:.

Then that question is applicible to all those who are 'due' to inherit the throne upon their parent's passing (long may that be), not just Frederik and Mary.

Clearly Germany didn't think so and well, here you are (respectively).

Well, we will see in a couple of years if there is any substance whatsover in Fred & Mary. They look nice now, but they will get older and they won't be pretty royal images anymore.I doubt that they will develop strong personalities like Margrethe is f.e.

I'm sorry, but I've found this paragraph to be rather weird.

Unless Denmark's populous has the mentality of 10 year old's (which I know it most certainly does not) then I cannot see, in any way, what the aging process has to do with Frederik's ability to perform his duties as sovereign, or Mary's as his supporting consort.

To state, as it seems you have, that Denmark's monarchy is to survive on the youthfullness of her Crown Princely couple, or that their personalities aren't the same as Margrethe (one should hope not), is in my mind, a naive avowal.

But Fred wants to go sailing and Mary wants to look good and that's it pretty much. They doesn't hurt anyone, well except the Danish taxpayers who care

Yes, I think the 'mobs' marching on Amalienborg as we speak... :neutral:

Why is it that foreigners are the first to care about the Danish Tax Payer?

Last edited:
Heavy foundation? Would be good if you could actually provide an accurate and high quality picture which supports your contention.

From Madeleine website, look at some of the closeups taken outdoor, under the sun light , you can see heavy foundation on her face.

I wonder her white face is because of heavy foundation or not. When she went to Australia in Jan 2004 (winter in Denmark) attending her sister Patricia's wedding, her face still looked tan. If 2 years in Europe didn't change her skin color, why it got changed another 9 months later ?;).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've viewed Madeleine's photos already. But thank you all the same.

If 2 years in Europe didn't change her skin color, why it got changed another 9 months later ?

I divide my time between Australia and Britain. On average I spend around 3, sometimes 4 months of the year in England. I leave Australia tanned, guaranteed..I arrive back quite pale. Now that's only a 3rd of a year, yet in time that...

Feel free to ask BeatrixFan, he's seen a photo of me!

Not being from Australasia, the UV rays you, as a European receive, are less harsh than that of Australia so it really is no wonder Mary's colouration turned to a more pale complexion.

I've also never said Mary hasn't received any chemical facial peels (if that's was you were alluding too). Infact, I'm sure she has but then again, so have I and many other ladies I know.

Last edited:
Why is it that foreigners are the first to care about the Danish Tax Payer?
I have never understood that either!!! The royal family get about DKK 80 mio each year - that is literally peanuts in the big picture!
Our minister of defence recently sold a number of fighter planes which hadn't even been used -but have cost the Danish tax payer DKK 470 mio. They were sold to Canada for around DKK 40 mio. Now that annoys this Danish tax payer!

Denmark would hardly be able to buy the publicity which the country gets in connection with the royal family.

Last edited:
I divide my time between Australia and Britain. On average I spend around 3, sometimes 4 months of the year in England. I leave Australia tanned, guaranteed..I arrive back quite pale. Now that's only a 3rd of a year, yet in time that...

Feel free to ask BeatrixFan, he's seen a photo of me!

Not being from Australasia, the UV rays you, as a European receive, are less harsh than that of Australia so it really is no wonder Mary's colouration turned to a more pale complexion.

I've also never said Mary hasn't received any chemical facial peels (if that's was you were alluding too). Infact, I'm sure she has but then again, so have I and many other ladies I know.

I know you will get tanned after spending a period of time in Australia, but that's not my point. After two years in Europe Mary didn't arrive in Australia in Jan 2004 with the pale skin she started to have a few months after the wedding (until now). I know about chemical facial peels. If her white face is not because of makeup (foundation), it's more than chemical facial peels IMO.

I know you will get tanned after spending a period of time in Australia, but that's not my point. After two years in Europe Mary didn't arrive in Australia in Jan 2004 with the pale skin she started to have a few months after the wedding (until now). I know about chemical facial peels. If her white face is not because of makeup (foundation), it's more than chemical facial peels IMO.

Mary's complexion was actually quite light even before her wedding. Infact, it was relatively light at the time of her engagement.

Engagement press conference, Fredensborg, 2003
(Note: Slight colouration of arms and legs)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/comtessede/24813f4a.jpg

Wedding Day, Copenhagen, 2004

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/ryguy19/999a742f.jpg

More than just chemical Peels? Of course it is!

No doubt it's also her diet, lack of excessive sun exposure which enables your skin to remain hydrated and not discolour etc and so forth.

Last edited:
I have never understood that either!!! The royal family get about DKK 80 mio each year - that is literally peanuts in the big picture!
Our minister of defence recently sold a number of fighter planes which hadn't even been used -but have cost the Danish tax payer DKK 470 mio. They were sold to Canada for around DKK 40 mio. Now that annoys this Danish tax payer!

Denmark would hardly be able to buy the publicity which the country gets in connection with the royal family.

It also annoys this Danish tax payer...I woud rather give som of my tax monyes to the royal family than to a president and his/her family.

Which was that? I only recall seing her at CIFF in later years, think the attended the children's show at one of the latest CIFF events.

Please refresh my memory.

In Milan for the fashion shows with her stylist Anja. Nothing to do with promoting Danish fashion as they were at Italian designers' parades.

What publicity in particular? - and how is it used?

What publicity in particular? - and how is it used?
For example as a tourist country; the tourist industry loves the fact that DK has a monarchy - as I think the tourist industries in most monarchies do. Whether one likes monarchies or not they do attract attention to the country and may lure some potential visitors to the country as well.

In Milan for the fashion shows with her stylist Anja. Nothing to do with promoting Danish fashion as they were at Italian designers' parades.
Thank you, I didn't know that. Where there pictures of it in the media?

They are definetely both no leaders , they don't have this " together we are strong as a rock " aura around them like Willem and Maxima f.e..They look nice and sweet and pretty . But Fred wants to go sailing and Mary wants to look good and that's it pretty much. They doesn't hurt anyone, well except the Danish taxpayers who care.

Amen! to everything you mentioned here :flowers:

About the tax thing. I wouldn´t want to pay my taxes to a president either but rather keep our royal family. But I don´t want to pay them to go sailing or buying 50 pairs of shoes in a day when I can´t even do that myself and I work so hard for that money

I'm sorry, but I don't see what this all has to do with Mary's personality (chemical peels, fashion etc). It just seems to be all the previous arguments, re-hashed again. I like Mary but, don't get me wrong, I know she is not 'perfect' as nobody is.
From what I have read in magazines (that's all I have to go on) etc, she appears considerate, caring, likeable, hard working and professional which I think is a pretty good package for a crown princess.

Some people don't like Mary, WE GET IT. If that point was stated and left at that, I would not see the problem. But where it gets outright silly is when people try to justify their dislike by stating either outrageous or unfair reasons. We DON'T KNOW Mary, therefore we have limited information to go on. It's OK if some of you don't like her, I GET IT. Honestly!

Was she there in her role as patron, or was she there as a private person who was doing a bit of shopping? If it was not an official event, then why is it being mentioned here?

Furthermore, when people, any people, start judging a woman because of what makeup she uses or what color her skin is, it really becomes completely absurd. This thread is about Mary's personality. The fact that she wears make up like 95% of the females in the world has ABSOLUTELY no bearing whatsoever on her personality. Nor does the color of her skin or the fact that she has nice clothes.

Move on people. Come up with something that is not so arbitrarty and ridiculous. A speech, a serious faux pas, something that is quantifiable and that would reflect on her personality. How can anyone be judged personality wise on the color of their skin?

Seriously - move on.

wow, i've just finished reading this thread and am blown away by it!

i never knew that mary was the only princess to wear make up, lose weight, wear nice clothes, and heaven forbid, attend fashion parades..

my take on her personality is: i liked her at the beginning, then for a while there, though very little of her, and now like her again.. why? because i believe that she is growing into her role.. and obviously she is aware that she is under immense scrutiny..

btw, being linguistically challenged is not the 'be all and end all' of life.. criticising a person for their 'lack of articulation' is low.. also a lack of articulation does not equate with a lack of depth and intelligence..

without a doubt everyone should be entitled to their own opinions and have the right to voice them..
my gripe is when ppl criticise her for her "inarticulation of either english or danish".. i too am linguistically challenged and find it extremely difficult at times to string a coherent sentence together!
her linguistic abilities and fashion sense really should not play a role in how she is perceived..

If you don't count black eyeliners and sliver eye shadow, what other things you count as "makeup"? As for foundation, you would have to look for photos yourself. You can start with her Australia trip.

If you're judging Mary's personality for the quantity of make-up she wears? For your information, all princesses wear make-up, all of them. I would say that Letizia, Mette-Marit and Mary are the most natural ones.

Well said Empress...

Was she there in her role as patron, or was she there as a private person who was doing a bit of shopping? If it was not an official event, then why is it being mentioned here?

She was there in a private capacity with her stylist. IIRC there were no photos, just a small blurb from newspaper. Mind you this shopping trip was almost 3 years ago!

We can like or dislike whoever we wish. We can say whatever it is we have to say, but no one can expect not to be met with opinions which differ to their own.

I place my opinion, another places theres, someone doesn't agree, it gets discussed etc and so on.

I state my comments, and responses are what naturally follows. If anyone finds it difficult to cope with opinions which differ to theirs, then theres always an alternative...

If someone doesn't agree with me or my opnion, that's fine, I'll get over it.

People who don't like Mary for whatever reason quite often than not resort to trivial, unsubstantiated and down right aggressive rumours and press articles to back up their standpoint. Or, if she wasn't smiling a certain way in a photograph, she wears "too much" makeup, she's a clothes horse etc etc.

Why is there a need to be purely negative about someone 'we' do not know?

Why is there a need to be blatantly insulting?

Why is there a need to believe everything you read?

Put aside the fact she is the Crown Princess, and take a moment to see the whole picture. We are speaking of someones mother, someones wife, someones daughter and sister...this is a lady who married a man and is now in an extroardianry position, but it doesn't make her any less real or human.

So many times you read 'I mean no offence by it', but if they mean no offence then why go for the jugular, instead of being constructive? Why? Because they choose not to.

So if anyone feels somewhat uncofmortable about posting within this thread, I wouldn't start laying blame at everyone elses feet before acknowledging their own involvement.

Last edited:
This topic is becoming a little controversial in my opinion, but I wanted to say this: People are either going to like or dislike Princess Mary, it is a choice that as individuals we make. Maybe the reasons that some people give for disliking her are not valid to some board members, but are valid to the person expressing their opinion, as petty as that opinion may be its important to them. Your perception is your reality, I was once told , and its true...some want to glorify Mary, others are neutral and others are going to find fault with her. Each opinion is our own.

Your perception is your reality, I was once told , and its true...
I would argue that the "truth" shall set us free. And the truth of the matter is: we do not know this woman. Our perception is based on a limited understanding of her.

I would argue that the "truth" shall set us free. And the truth of the matter is: we do not know this woman. Our perception is based on a limited understanding of her.

It is still "our" perception, whether its true or not. How many times have we not met people and disliked them or not trust them at first sight, only to find out that they are wonderful people. Why are we suppose to dress nicely when we go for a job interview? because that first impression counts. We do not know this woman so we all have a different perception of who she is, therefore, everybody's opinion of her should be valid since we all bring something different to the table. Different people, different perceptions.

It is still "our" perception, whether its true or not. How many times have we not met people and disliked them or not trust them at first sight, only to find out that they are wonderful people. Why are we suppose to dress nicely when we go for a job interview? because that first impression counts. We do not know this woman so we all have a different perception of who she is, therefore, everybody's opinion of her should be valid since we all bring something different to the table. Different people, different perceptions.
You are correct and I am in complete agreement with your above statement. However, not liking someone is not justification to say hurtful things for the precise reason you stated. It's only a perception - meaning you could be right or wrong. If you could be wrong, people should measure their words. I don't think it's wise or kind to say mean things about people, just because you can. We are all entitled to our opinions - within reason - or perhaps, that's asking too much...

Last edited:
Oh its makeup alright, but heavy? I think not.

I have seen a large quantity of photos from the Australian trip (amongst many other trips undertaken by the royal couple in an official capacity) and needless to say, the heavy use of makeup you so obstinately refer to, seems to remain elusive.

Not being able to back up your claim with substantiative evidence, gives your argument very little credibility.

If you don't consider silver glittering eye shadow and black eye liners "heavy" makeup, it's pointless to point to any photos. You are not going to see it.

Enough about the make-up. Move on please.

Danish Forum Moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom