Mary as Patron for the World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe: 2006-22

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
Moldovians has nothing else to export. The country was/is known for its wines. There were fruit orchards too. I am not sure if they still exist.

Overall, the visit is for appearances' sake.

Last edited:
Day 2:

Picture:
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...media/article/_mho4985_copy.jpg?itok=J3IUsgHB

Article: "Crown Princess Mary is popular in Moldova"
Kronprinsesse Mary er populær i Moldova | BILLED-BLADET

When Mary today visited the vaccine storage in the capital all of the country's leading TV stations were present with reporters and cameramen.
The Crown Princess answered so friendly and smiling to the questions that the local journalists expressed how sweet and down to earth they think the Danish Crown Princess is.

Crown Princess Mary gave an interview after seeing the vaccine warehouse, which mothers and children especially have good use of. With using of a very fast-speaking interpreter was the Moldovan questions translated into English so Crown Princess Mary could answer, and then Mary's answers was translated to local journalists.

Day 2:

Gallery from Kongehuset:
http://kongehuset.dk/foto-video/besoeg-i-moldova-dag-2

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark was awarded the honorary title Doctor Honoris Causa of USMF.

At a special event at the Medical University of Moldova's capital recieved Crown Princess Mary an honorary doctorate and wore a special dress with matching hat.
Mary went humblyon stage wearing the hat and cape and began by saying that, as she was wearing this particular dress, she felt like her father John Donaldson, who is mathematics professor :D

Video and pictures:
VIDEO: Kronprinsesse Mary blev æresdoktor i Moldova | BILLED-BLADET

Day 3:

Mary's last event in Moldova

Visit at health center
9.30 am
The Crown Princess visits a health center that offers vaccination of children.

Video from BB of Mary visiting Health Center:
Kronprinsesse Mary holdt lille Ecaterina i hånden | BILLED-BLADET

The little baby girl fell in love with Mary, and Mary couldn't resist her and her soft baby hand. They held each others hand in a good time while Mary talked to the mother about vaccines.

Before departure from the clinic to the airport Crown Princess Mary was interviewed by Moldovan TV. Mary expressed that it general had been a positive experience to see how dedicated the country's health sector is working to improve the situation of mothers and their young children.

it was last event for Mary during her 3-days visit with WHO in Moldova. With a short flight home must Mary have landed back in Denmark already and can hold Friday evening with husband and children :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the Crown Princess has traveled to Moldova before no?

Day 2 and Day 3

Gallery from Kongehuset:
https://kongehuset.dk/foto-video/besoeg-i-moldova-dag-2

Lovley pictures of Mary visiting the newborn babies and their mothers when she visited a maternity ward:

https://www.facebook.com/detdanskek...6931031645484/386927954979125/?type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/detdanskek...6931031645484/386927958312458/?type=3&theater

Pictures and information on the DRF's Official Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/detdanskekongehus/posts/386931031645484

ADDED:

The DRF's official Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNOrk5AAAS3/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

Wearing cape and hat recieved HRH Crown Princess Mary yesterday an honorary doctorate at the State University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Chisinau. As patron of the WHO visited the Crown Princess Moldova. �� WHO © #kongehuset

Day 3 gallery from Kongehuset.dk

Besøg i Moldova - dag 3 | Kongehuset

Last edited by a moderator:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #48, 2016.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

As patron for the European region of WHO, Mary went to Moldova, which is one of the most poor and backward (let alone forgotten) parts of Europe.
As such the healthcare system in that country is very poor. Things like measles and polio are real dangers!
This visit was therefore very much about the vaccination-programmes in Moldova. (While it has been fashionable for some in the West to gamble with their children's health by deciding to do without vaccinations, Moldova is an example of what happened in pre-vaccination Europe).
WHO has helped Moldova in getting the vaccination programme up and running. (The country have had problems finding and funding the resources for carrying out vaccinations).

Mary said to Moldovian TV: "My children er vaccinated, just as I am. Every child has a right to be vaccinated and I would never risk my child catching a decease that could have been avoided with vaccination. It's not a risk worth taking".

Mary said to our reporter: "It's been a good programme. We have experienced and seen much during the few days we've been here. We've been given a good impression of how the healthcare sector here looks like today and what their plans are for the future, but there is much to do. It takes a lot of effort but they do that with the help of WHO and other international organizations.
It's a country that is developing, but it takes time and it needs investments in a country full of contrasts. (The country is a mix of Moldovians, Rumanians, Russians and Ukrainians!) We have right now experienced a simulation-center and a health-clinic with a high standard internationally speaking, but it may be something different out in the countryside (yep, fake vaccinations, diluted vaccinations, people having to pay for vaccinations and incompetent medical personnel) away from the big cities. So there is a long way to go, but there is a lot of will and actions are taken in order to create a robust healthcare system and heighten the quality of life and cure the public in general.
I've only been here for a short while but I have already been given a very positive impression of the country. I've been received with warmth and generous hospitality. It's very touching.
The visit is of course focused on the the serious issues regarding the healthcare sector in Moldova. it's been uplifting to see the co-operation there is between the Minister of Health in Moldova and WHO".

Mary was accompanied by chief of WHO (Europe), Zsuzsanna Jakab, who praised Mary for help putting focus on the need for vaccinations, because many in Moldova, especially in poor rural district are against vaccinations, partly because of the reasons I mentioned above, but also because of deep distrust of the authorities and because many have reverted back to advise by "wise women" and traditional "folklore-treatment".

Because of the need to get the message through and because Moldova don't get foreign visitors of any particular standing every day..., the visit was covered massively by Moldovian media.

As part of the visit, Mary visited a children's health clinic, where personnel practiced on dolls, in regards to how to carry out basic examinations and give vaccinations. (*)
And here she saw a vaccination on one year old Ecaterina, who held on to Mary's finger.

Mary was also made an honorary doctor at the medical faculty in the Moldovian capital of Chisinau.
The traditional square hat was placed on Mary's head by a local girl wearing a Moldovian local costume.

But of course Moldova as a country wasn't only delighted by Mary's pretty brown eyes, she was drafted in to help promoting Moldovian export as well.
As such the visit ended at a wine-chateau, Castel Mimi. The purpose of course being to promote Modovian wine and cuisine. Here Mary visited the cellars holding barrels of wine going back to the 1700's.
The cellars are actually previous mines with corridors stretching for kilometers and to get around you drive in cars, with the same rules for driving on roads on the surface, or go by mini-train.
Both Angela Merkel and Vladimir Putin have stored wine in these corridors.

See for yourself here: BB48, 2016

(*) We went through a similar basic training before deployed to Croatia in the 90's. Because doctors and nurses there had either fled or been drafted and the few remaining were overworked and stayed at the hospitals in the cities. So we medics from the UN-Peacekeepers on our patrols were more often than not the only thing resembling healthcare personnel.
We were actually not supposed to, because somewhere up in the UN-system someone, in their infinite wisdom, had decided that that would be interfering... But since even Red Cross convoys and cars were regularly fired on, there were no one else.

For those interested in last weeks issue, see here: BB47, 2016

Last edited:
:previous:

Thanks Iceflower :flowers: And well deserved, Mary.

Pictures:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5V4L26W8AEJ6e7.jpg

Video on the DRF's Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/detdanskekongehus/

As a Danish man has comment under the video on DRF's Official Facebook:

"Congratulations and again VERY well deserved.
- HRH Crown Princess Mary do not recieves these awards due to her titles or beautiful exterior, she receives them because of her huge work makes a difference and is considered the world over... !!
And if the Crown Princess at a time should be in doubt she simply needs to glance at the much acclaim she gets everywhere, it is so remarkable and gives so much respect <3"

Hardworking CP Mary has two official events today.
I will post pictures and information about her second event in the other thread.

Last edited:
How lovely surprise, that she was in my country! 80 km far from me... :) I think I will be never closer to her, or to any other royal... :)

Out of curiosity, how is her English? Any accent?

There's a definite accent but I can't quite work it out - there's an Australian twang there but it could also reflect her time in Denmark and be a mixture of a Danish and Australian accent, lol! Prince Frederik, when he speaks English, has a Danish accent whereas his brother and especially his mother both have perfect English accents (or maybe I should say British accents, so as not to upset our American friends :flowers:)

I'm not Australian but did live in Melbourne for a couple of years and to my ear in this speech she sounds like a well educated, city dwelling Australian, except with more of a lilt to her voice.

I wonder what her English sounds like in conversation with friends and family. She's never had a particularly strong, stereotypical Aussie accent, from what I remember.

Thanks - that's probably why I couldn't work out the accent as it wasn't the stereotypical Australian accent :flowers:

There's a definite accent but I can't quite work it out - there's an Australian twang there but it could also reflect her time in Denmark and be a mixture of a Danish and Australian accent, lol! Prince Frederik, when he speaks English, has a Danish accent whereas his brother and especially his mother both have perfect English accents (or maybe I should say British accents, so as not to upset our American friends :flowers:)
I agree, the accent is Australian, but toned down and more international.

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #15, 2018.
Written by Marianne Singer.

Mary gave the opening speech at the recent WHO conference in Copenhagen. It was an optimistic speech about an otherwise serious topic.
Each year some 40 million people worldwide die from so called "non-contagious illnesses," so it's a global priority to deal with that challenge. Most is contributable to cancer, diabetes, and vascular diseases. Not to mention infections which is still a major killer.

Among the many people Mary met at the conference was the Jordanian Princess Dina Mired, who is president for the Union for International Cancer Control. The two of them had a fairly long meeting and afterwards Princess Dina Mired said: "Mary is a fantastic speaker, she knows her fields and is beautiful both inside and outside." - It was a !Wonderfully relaxed meeting."

Today, April 20, Crown Princess Mary as WHO Patron met with Zsuzsanna Jakab, Director of the World Health Organization's Regional Office for Europe, and "received a briefing on WHO's focus areas and the organization's efforts to improve health and living standards and discussed future joint activities". She also viewed an WHO/UNICEF photo exhibition on the occasion of the European Immunization Week:

** fb gallery **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom