Princess Isabella's First Day of Primary School: August 13, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The bolded text above is so true; so many parents believe that their child can do no wrong, is extremely intelligent, and entitled to everything. Unfortunately, no one ever sides with teachers, because principals want to make sure that they keep the parents happy. It's quite disgusting, but it's OK, because when real life sets in, the 'little wonder' will be wondering why, oh, why is nothing going his/her way.

Many parents don't want any homework assigned to their children, because after school, it should be family time. Same goes for any breaks. While I'm all for 'no homework', since it would lessen my workload at home, I have to say that without at least a little bit of reinforcement, the skills that are learned in the classroom may be lost. The argument is of course; teach them all you need to teach them while they're at school, but if skills are not learned, then there's no time to teach all that has to be covered. I wonder, is there anti-homework movement in Denmark too, or is this strictly a US trend?

No, there are schools here that have abolished homework. The purpose of the All Day School is also to give the children the opportunity to do their homework, or at least most of it, while still at school.
I'm a little bit pro and against homework at the same time. Too much homework is a bad idea, I think. A little homework is better. It doesn't hurt the children to learn that there are obligations, because later on in life, depending on the job, they are likely to get "homework" from time to time.
Some children also learn better by self-study or by doing it with the parents, which can also be a kind of quality time while you at the same time get a look at what your child is working on and assess the skills of your child - and sometimes you learn something yourself...:p

I strongly believe that at least Christian and Isabella speak English (the twins are probably too young to fully master it, but I suppose they're learning it). There doesn't seem to be a language barrier when they spend time with Mary's family. However, I don't think that it is a Mary talking English and Frederik talking Danish to the kids kind of thing, like it is with Marie (in Marie's case, French) and Joachim.

I'm convinced the four kids are fluent in English. At least I'd hope so - what an advantage to have an English speaking mother!

School children in DK have those holidays I listed above. A week every couple of months or so.

Thanks Muhler. :)

ADDED: Summary of article in Billed Bladet #33, 2013.
Skoleprinsessen - The school-princess.
Written by the omnipresent Ulrik Ulriksen.

Not that there is much news. He tells us that there were press from a number of countries and that the mood was relaxed and good. Bella was initially shy but loosened up.
This was incidentally Isabella's first press conference as the majority of the questions were directed and answered by her.

Q: What do you look forward to the most at school?
Bella: "Doing homework".

Q: What do you have in your school bag?
B: "School-folders, cryons, pencil house and then there is a lunch bag".

Q: Do you know some letters already?
B: "Yes, a little".

Q: What's in the lunch bag"?
B: "There is something nice".

Q: What have your big brother told you about how it is to go to school?
B: "That it's good".

Q: Do you know some of your new classmates in advance?
B: "Yes, a couple of girls, who are sweet". (That's not exactly how she said but the meaning is the same).

Q: Shall Prince Christian help you with your homework?
B: "No"!

Q: Prince Christian could write his own name when he started in 0. grade, can you also write your name?
B: "Yes, I can".

Isabella ended the interview by saying: "Thank you very much".

A little later Bella and her parents drove to school where the new 0. graders were recieved by the principal and older pupils singing in a choir. - I learned that the school has a mentor policy. That means that the 0. graders attach themselves to a pupil from 5th grade, who will look after the little one, give advise and help. So when Bella become a 5th grader herself, she will become a mentor.

Mary said: She is very ready for school. So there hasn't been much preparation. She's really ready and very good at writing". Frederik added that they had a most read a little in an ABC and run through the alphabet.
Isabelle will attend SFO, said Frederik: "She has good opportunities for that and she will now". (Referring to the All-Day-School to be implemented next year).

Princess Isabella seems to be a very sweet little girl, thank you for the translation of the interview. I particularly like this bit: "What's in the lunch bag?" "There is something nice". That's very cute!

Last edited:
Yep, six weeks of summer holiday. One week of winter holiday in February. One week of autumn holiday in October (week 42), three days of holiday around the Easter weekend. Christmas Holidays from 22 December to 2 January depending on weekdays. And a couple of holidays more during spring.
Yes I knew the Danish kids had a shorter summer holiday than their other European counterparts children. The Easter and Christmas holidays seem to match with my country's holidays, although the February winter holiday is not a week in my country but 3 days just because of the Carnival.
Now one thing that I didn't know was the Autumn holiday in October, that's knew to me.;)

Parents sometimes are a problem in school and out of school!! I had an "encounter" with a 6-year old at the playground a few days ago which left me aghast. I was sitting far away and observed him bothering my (younger) son. I did not intervene. NOT AT ALL. When my son was fed up he came (visibly upset) closer to me. This rascal came to me to COMPLAIN that my son had not answered him how he was expecting about I don't know what. I started to explain a few things nicely to him but he was so rude, so disrespectful, (you have no idea!) it ended up with me raising my voice saying: " Now, you need to be quiet and listen to me because I'm an adult!". (His father was around somewhere by the way, I had seen him). Needless to say he looked at me like I was from Mars, turned around and went away. What kind of parent raises a brat like that??!! :eek:

So, I deeply feel for the teachers who need to face this kind of parents every day. Children just don't see adults as a source of authority/wisdom anymore. It's sad. That's why I think we are all so attracted to royalty because in a way, they still (or should) represent politeness, education, caring, understatement, etc.
Princess Christian and Isabella look exactly that: polite, energetic, happy, sweet children. Just children! It's funny, I was commenting with my husband the little press conference of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on their exiting the hospital with their baby and we were saying how nobility was once considered classist, snob and presumptuous, while today these adjectives apply more toward reality tv participants than royals! Where do you find these days people so soft-spoken, witty, educated, humble (royals??) and caring?

Ok - sorry...I vented my frustration...!! :lol:

Last edited:
To all the English-speaking I found these gifs of charming Bella. The translations matches precisely.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/dbfa3e4cc935665bf6136b9368f83e63/tumblr_mrjah0haf51qkoeepo3_250.gif

http://31.media.tumblr.com/63199d9fcc09931c5e53e677006bfe30/tumblr_mrjah0haf51qkoeepo4_250.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/7d17f3e97de6605b5b434e11431d3a34/tumblr_mrjah0haf51qkoeepo2_250.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/be0c2cff184db377432b40e6169274f9/tumblr_mrjah0haf51qkoeepo1_250.gif

A new question. Are all of Isabella's skills in Danish? Is she only learning English in a spoken way when her mother speaks to her? Or is there no English at all in the home.

I strongly believe that at least Christian and Isabella speak English (the twins are probably too young to fully master it, but I suppose they're learning it). There doesn't seem to be a language barrier when they spend time with Mary's family. However, I don't think that it is a Mary talking English and Frederik talking Danish to the kids kind of thing, like it is with Marie (in Marie's case, French) and Joachim.

I'm convinced the four kids are fluent in English. At least I'd hope so - what an advantage to have an English speaking mother!

I remember Mary has said she actually wish she was better to speak English with her children at home, but that she found it quite difficult because everything in their daily life is in Danish. Now it's some years ago and she said she would try to get better and maybe she has? To the photo session in Verbier last year we heard Isabella call Mary for 'mommy' instead of 'mor' in Danish, but it was also on a vacation where Mary's sister Jane was with them so they probably talked a lot English in that week.

I think that Mary learn her children English, step by step, as the years go by, but I don't think Mary speak much English with her children at home - everytime I hear or everytime I have heard Mary (and Frederik) and the children talk together, it has been in Danish. My feeling is, like Archduchess Zelia, that Christian and Isabella are good or fluent in English, but I doubt that Vincent and Josephine are it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I knew the Danish kids had a shorter summer holiday than their other European counterparts children. The Easter and Christmas holidays seem to match with my country's holidays, although the February winter holiday is not a week in my country but 3 days just because of the Carnival.
Now one thing that I didn't know was the Autumn holiday in October, that's knew to me.;)

That holiday, always in week 42, used to be called the Potato Holiday. Because DK was a predominantly agricultural society until three generations ago, children were needed harvesting the potatoes and children were kept home from school anyway during the harvest, so it was decided to simply turn it into a mandatory school holiday.
The necessity of children during the potato harvest is explained very well in the British BBC series Edwardian Farm, which along with Victorian Farm and Wartime Farm can only be recommended. - Even for those who have no interest at all in agriculture.

Parents sometimes are a problem in school and out of school!! I had an "encounter" with a 6-year old at the playground a few days ago which left me aghast. I was sitting far away and observed him bothering my (younger) son. I did not intervene. NOT AT ALL. When my son was fed up he came (visibly upset) closer to me. This rascal came to me to COMPLAIN that my son had not answered him how he was expecting about I don't know what. I started to explain a few things nicely to him but he was so rude, so disrespectful, (you have no idea!) it ended up with me raising my voice saying: " Now, you need to be quiet and listen to me because I'm an adult!". (His father was around somewhere by the way, I had seen him). Needless to say he looked at me like I was from Mars, turned around and went away. What kind of parent raises a brat like that??!! :eek:

So, I deeply feel for the teachers who need to face this kind of parents every day. Children just don't see adults as a source of authority/wisdom anymore. It's sad. That's why I think we are all so attracted to royalty because in a way, they still (or should) represent politeness, education, caring, understatement, etc.
Princess Christian and Isabella look exactly that: polite, energetic, happy, sweet children. Just children! It's funny, I was commenting with my husband the little press conference of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on their exiting the hospital with their baby and we were saying how nobility was once considered classist, snob and presumptuous, while today these adjectives apply more toward reality tv participants than royals! Where do you find these days people so soft-spoken, witty, educated, humble (royals??) and caring?

Ok - sorry...I vented my frustration...!! :lol:

:) I know your feeling. I wonder how the DRF handles such parents which they are bound to encounter. I can well imagine that Joachim and Frederik's patience is limited.

(Removed OT part)

You can't blame the children, but why is it so difficult for some parents to understand that children need boundaries? They do their children a disservice.

You are welcome, HereditaryPrincess :)

Last edited:
what a little cutie
she has the cutest little sturdy legs....and so happy. i cant believe she has grown so much.

:)

I remember Mary has said she actually wish she was better to speak English with her children at home, but that she found it quite difficult because everything in their daily life is in Danish. Now it's some years ago and she said she would try to get better and maybe she has? To the photo session in Verbier last year we heard Isabella call Mary for 'mommy' instead of 'mor' in Danish, but it was also on a vacation where Mary's sister Jane was with them so they probably talked a lot English in that week.

Speaking English is essential for anybody today and royal family members have always been excellent at speaking a number of languages. I was quite surprised at how good Queen Margarethe's English is. In fact, it's much better than Frederick! There's no doubt that all of Frederick and Mary's children will become more than fluent in English, though Danish will be their first language for obvious "institutional" reasons. Prince Christian also used to have an Australian nanny if I am not mistaken.
It is also a sensitive question. Of course, Mary will say that she speaks Danish almost 100% during the day. She has more pressure than, say, Princess Marie, because she will be a Queen of Denmark. My guess is that when she is alone with the children (one on one or all of them) she speaks English with them (and so she should!). It's wonderful that they'll have more than one language known at the native level.

I'm also pretty sure they will learn French fairly well especially being so close to their grandfather and cousins. And German will come along, too, in due course...

:previous: I definitely not think it is something Mary says, because she feels pressured to say so. I honestly believe that she speaks Danish with her children at home. I think she speaks English too, but I'm almost convinced that she mainly speaks Danish at home. But your bid is as good as mine, since we aren't a part of the their private situations :flowers:

From my experience with mothers who are bringing up children in a country that is not their native born, it is easier to go with the language of the country. There fore, it is now easier for Mary to speak danish at home, that's why I asked. If they have english speaking nannies, that will really help

So, I deeply feel for the teachers who need to face this kind of parents every day. Children just don't see adults as a source of authority/wisdom :lol:
I can visualize the situation very well I would say that it would be ok to intervene, imo of course, in a very easy going way with such a young child so that things had not progressed to the bad level you described.
Something like you standing up and saying, "ok (son), we have to go now"
And briskly exit

From my experience with mothers who are bringing up children in a country that is not their native born, it is easier to go with the language of the country. There fore, it is now easier for Mary to speak danish at home, that's why I asked. If they have english speaking nannies, that will really help
You are absolutely correct that it is much easier to not speak one's native language when living in a foreign country. However, Mary is denying her children the gift of being bi-lingual if she is not speaking English to them. For a child to be truly bi-lingual the parents should each speak their own native tongue. Of course, the royal family has the issue of the public's opinion if the entire family is not speaking Danish among themselves. Having an English speaking nanny will certainly help but will in no way take the place of Mary being the English speaker.

I raised two bi-lingual children and that gift to them is absolutely precious. Having friends where both parents were non-native English speakers and both speaking their respective native tongue and English being the language the children spoke with everyone else works just as fine as well.

I hope being a royal mother does not preclude them from giving their children this special gift. It will give their children a skill that is invaluable.

Unfortunately there are lots of adults raising children but refusing to be parents. Parenting is a job that takes lots of energy and hard work. Anyone who is not willing to put in the time and energy should abstain from having children. It is the rest of us that become the parent to those children; on the play ground, in the schools, at after school activities and the hardest part is we end up hiring these kids once they are out of school.

Unfortunately there are lots of adults raising children but refusing to be parents. Parenting is a job that takes lots of energy and hard work. Anyone who is not willing to put in the time and energy should abstain from having children. It is the rest of us that become the parent to those children; on the play ground, in the schools, at after school activities and the hardest part is we end up hiring these kids once they are out of school.

Holy words! :clap:
Good luck to Mary and Frederick and all parents with children starting school!!

I've observed this on a personal level, and saw two opposite sides of the spectrum; when my younger sister was born, my mother had full intention of speaking Russian to her, so that she'd be bilingual, but that never happened, because everything was in English. The task became too difficult, and no one in the household that did speak Russian wanted to bother (mostly myself and my mother). My aunt and uncle came across the same situation with their son. The result is; that both, my sister and cousin understand simple commands in Russian, but cannot carry on a conversation, read, or write in it. Now, I have distant cousins whose mom is from Israel, and all three of them speak fluent Hebrew. The mother spoke nothing but Hebrew to them, and send them on to a Hebrew-based school in their community in New Jersey. Because their father is an English speaker, the children are fluent in it too. I think at the end of the day, it depends on the family, and how much time they want to invest in exposing a child to a second language. I'm sure all of Mary and Frederik's children at least understand English, and if they don't already speak it fluently, after some in-depth instruction from school, and contact with their family in Australia (and Mary speaking it to them at least at some points during the day), they'll have the command of it in no time.

Pretty sure being at least passable in English is a must for all the younger royals, particularly ones who have an important role to play in the future.

Pretty sure being at least passable in English is a must for all the younger royals, particularly ones who have an important role to play in the future.

I don't think passable would do. Just as it is for any diplomat, for instance, their English should be excellent, which I'm sure it is or will be soon! :flowers:

Mary and Frederik's children have spent time alone with their Australian family. I recall instances of John Donaldson babysitting them, for example, and of them spending time with one of Mary's sisters on a visit to Australia. It would be pretty hard to do that if the children couldn't at least get by in English.

I think the path of least resistance would be for Mary to speak mainly Danish with the children, but OTOH, she seems like such a practical person that I have a hard time believing she'd pass on the opportunity for her children to be native level English speakers.

Children are like sponges when it comes to language. My sister's niece moved to Italy and their son was speaking 4 languages at 4 years old. The Mother spoke English to him, her husband spoke German (his native language0, the nanny spoke French and the child went to school in Italian. I have always been envious of people who are bi-lingual.

I seem to remember that Mary and Fred said they spoke English at home in a documentary?? If thats the case considering the amount of time the family kids included are out in public with engagements and school that would probably help a lot in terms of grasping good English whilst maintaining Danish as their primary language.
Im not trying to antagonise here but rather acknowledge that the other royals have more than adequate grasps of the English language and assume that it must be considered an important diplomatic skill for royals to have.
I guess that Joachim and Maries children may not end up so accomplished in English but will have the benefits of learning french with Marie.
I wonder if Joachim was skilled in french or they spoke English when they first met and Marie couldnt speak Danish....hmmm anyway Im sure the CP family should be well skilled in English by the time they grow up.

IMO this is not that big of an issue. Most Europeans I've met speak multiple languages with English being amongst the most common. I think Fed and Mare as well as Joachim and Marie's children will be multi-lingual just be the nature of their lifestyle. I don't think this is that big of an issue.

I seem to remember that Mary and Fred said they spoke English at home in a documentary?? If thats the case considering the amount of time the family kids included are out in public with engagements and school that would probably help a lot in terms of grasping good English whilst maintaining Danish as their primary language.
Im not trying to antagonise here but rather acknowledge that the other royals have more than adequate grasps of the English language and assume that it must be considered an important diplomatic skill for royals to have.
I guess that Joachim and Maries children may not end up so accomplished in English but will have the benefits of learning french with Marie.
I wonder if Joachim was skilled in french or they spoke English when they first met and Marie couldnt speak Danish....hmmm anyway Im sure the CP family should be well skilled in English by the time they grow up.

Joachim was fluent in French long before he met our Marie. In fact that's why Marie was seated next to Joachim, when they met for the very first time.
I'd say both Joachim and Frederik's children will end up being fluent in English already in their teens.
I'd say practically all reasonably educated Danes are fluent in English and M&F's children have the added advantage of having relatives who are English speakers. At least Christan had an English nanny and even though she had spend a year or so in DK before that I doubt she was more than at best competent in Danish, so she must have spoken English.
Apart from that nowadays the internet, advertising and subtitled TV all play a crucial part in teaching children English. So English isn't a big worry.

I think bette Henrik and Athena will be proficient in German as well, living and probably going to school so close to the border. Typical for a border region, Southern Jutlanders are on average at the very least able to have a simple conversation in German - and they watch German TV down there.

I remenber last year on the February photosession, Christian and Isabella were speaking english to each other, they probably speak english at home. Besides, the children need to speak english to their maternal family, because they don't speak danish.

But english is not an issue, it's a worldwide language, it's not dificult to learn it. They all can study aboard and have a better grasp of the language and that's it. (which will happen for sure, maybe for college or university days).

The problem of Mary speaking only English to her children would be that she then repeated a behaviour which Prince Henrik - and queen Margrethe - have been widely critized for during the years - viz. that of speaking French in private also with their sons. This has been explained as one of the reasons why Prince Henrik speaks Danish with such marked accent, even after so many years in the country. In an interview, the queen has admitted to be part of that problem because they didn't carry on their daily conversations in Danish.

So either we get royal children who are naturally bilingual - or we get a foreign-born queen/king consort who may never be really fluent in Danish because it's not spoken daily in the family environment ;)

This said, the royal family has learned from the Henrik experience and all three daughters in law seem to have been exposed to much more Danish also at an earlier stage than Prince Henrik was.

If Mary speaks English at home it's something completely new to me. She has always said that to fully master our language she almost exclusively speaks Danish - to the point where she actually think in Danish. To be blatantly honest, I'm almost 100% certain that Mary speaks Danish all the time (unless she speaks with foreigners or non-Danish speakers, that is), she's no Prince Henrik, her accent isn't thick or heavy. While I'm sure that Christian and Isabella do speak English really well, I highly doubt that that is the spoken language at home.

Last edited:
Hello - does anyone know where I can see Isabella's first day of School interviews translated into English please?

Also - years ago Mary said she would raise her Children to be Tri-lingual; Danish, English & French :)

A very beautiful Family <3

Hello - does anyone know where I can see Isabella's first day of School interviews translated into English please?

Also - years ago Mary said she would raise her Children to be Tri-lingual; Danish, English & French :)

A very beautiful Family <3

Yes, you can see the translations here in this thread. :)

Back
Top Bottom