Prince Frederik and Princess Mary's Official Visit to Iceland: May 5-8, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, Paty.
That's a pleasant surprise. I like watching them doing official visits together.
Iceland is a beautiful place and I hope we will get to see a lot of beautiful pictures. :)
When I visited Iceland a few years ago I was lucky enough to experience the most beautiful weather (quite unusual as I was told),
I hope they will have the same luck.

According to the embassy's website they will visit the capital Reykjavik and some places in South and West Iceland.
KONGELIGT BESØG
I begyndelsen af maj fra 5. til 8. maj vil deres kongelige højheder kronprins Frederik og kronprinsesse Mary komme på besøg til Island. De er inviteret af Islands præsident hr. Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson og vil besigtige forskellige seværdigheder i Reykjavik og på Syd- og Vestisland.

Last edited:
Thaks also for the info Ricarda. They will spend 3 days visiting the country and they will visit for sure many beautiful places, so I hope this thread will be a window to know, more closely, the culture of Iceland and also to know what type of ralations Iceland and Denmark have.

I have never been in Iceland so I´m unpatience for the begining of the visit

Last edited:
This will be interesting. Official visits made by the couple are always nice to follow, im pretty sure we will get tons of beautiful pictures. Any word if the young one/s are going as well? Programme of the visit?

Official Program, English Version

Day 1
11:40 - Arrival and meeting of the press. Brief photo opportunity
13:30 - Visit to a school
14:20 - Visit to a culture house
14:55 - Mary will be viewing various designs by local artists and designers
15:05 - Visit to the Icelandic University
15:20 - Attendance at a mini-conference on volcanoes and glaciers
16:30 - Visit to an art museum
19:30 - Gala dinner

Day 2
09:00 - Visit with Icelandic horses, presumably at a farm
11:00 - Visit to a geothermic power plant
11:50 - Stroll through a town to the PM's summer residence
12:30 - Lunch with the PM
14:30 - Visit to the Gullfoss Waterfall
15:10 - Stroll to some restored royal stones
16:55 - Visit to an old church in a town, followed by a visit to the town museum

Day 3
11:00 - Visit to a school, will be received by a brass band
11:45 - Visit to another museum
12:10 - Visit to a local museum, located in a restored merchant house
13:05 - Sailing trip on a boat, with lunch onboard
17:30 - Reception onboard the patrol-frigate ship Vædderen in the Reykjavik Harbour. The Vædderen is a Danish ship.

Day 4
09:00 - Visit to the genom research institute Decode Genetics
10:20 - Visit to the Danish Embassy

:):)

*Big thanks to Muhler at the CPMMB for the translation

Thank you Jess for posting. Day 1 seems to be pretty long. Its going to be great to see Frederik after not seeing him for a while working.

I think this is going to be a great visit. So much to see and do! Lots of photo oppurtunities hopefully. Can't wait!:flowers:

Are the children with them on this trip?

What absolutely horrifying stockings the Icelandic first lady has on. Good grief! On another note, it's nice to see the CP couple out and about. Is Iceland still a protectorate pof Denmark, or do they just have political ties?

Here is a VIDEO from the conference. Start if the video, the first lady takes off her sunglasses & hands them over to Frederik but he doesnt take them:Dbut then everyone laughs about it.

What absolutely horrifying stockings the Icelandic first lady has on. Good grief! On another note, it's nice to see the CP couple out and about. Is Iceland still a protectorate pof Denmark, or do they just have political ties?

No it isnt. It gained their independence from Denmark in 1904. I think there is some kind of relation between the two countries.

Last edited:
Fantastic! Thank you Ayvee and Princess Maxima. Hopefully we'll be able to see a better view with details of the gown soon. The trip so far seems to be running smoothly and all parties look great.

However, I must say that Mary's make-up at tonight's gala was a little on the heavy side. I prefer a more "light" look for evening... something similar to the late Carolyn Bessette Kennedy's make-up style.

A few more pictures from the press conference
Group picture **
I have to say that the First Lady of Iceland has got a very peculiar taste in fashion. Her ensemble reminded of the 1980s fashion: large belts and huge shoulders. As for the stockings, I am speechless.
Crown Princess Mary looked great wearing a classical and demure outfit. I wish she wore brighter colour to enhance her complexion. I also liked Crown Princess Mary's gala hairstyle.

[URL="http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/video/index.php/nodeId-11456593.html"]Here[/URL] is a news clip from TV2. I had a chance to see the dress, semi-full length, and well... I hate it. Why? It drowns her. Mary is a small woman (height wise), and those types of dresses (with exaggerated, light textured fabrics etc, etc) would suit one who is at least 5'10" and up. Anyone shorter than that, even with heels, ... ahhh no. By the way, this is simply my opinion so don't freak out.

I think Marys hair looks beautiful. Classic and elegant. So hard to believe that she was not born into this life. She is such a natural.

I'm not so fussed on the dress either, although her hair, makeup and jewells are gorgeous as usual. At least she wears a variety of clothing, not all of a similar style.

[URL="http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/video/index.php/nodeId-11456593.html"]Here[/URL] is a news clip from TV2. I had a chance to see the dress, semi-full length, and well... I hate it. Why? It drowns her. Mary is a small woman (height wise), and those types of dresses (with exaggerated, light textured fabrics etc, etc) would suit one who is at least 5'10" and up. Anyone shorter than that, even with heels, ... ahhh no. By the way, this is simply my opinion so don't freak out.
I won't freak out, I promise! (At least not until I've seen a full view of the dress for myself:D) It's frustrating that the photographers couldn't get a full view of her in the gown. Love the hair, the eye make-up a bit over done (IMO), but all in all lovely as always! I'm sure her appearance and warmth made a favorable impression on her hosts.

Cat

Last edited:
I really want to see more of this dress! Hopefully there'll be more (and bigger) pictures soon! Until then, I cant judge it.

She really looks like she was born royal...her cool beauty and grace. I like her day suit but hve no comment on her evening gown as you can't get a real good picture of it...shame.

I thought Mary's dress was very pretty & very different for her, im not too sure about the hair do with that dress, it seems abit too much. Finally Frederik smiling & not looking bored at an official event.

now that we can see her face, i think not only her hair but also her makeup is stunning. Remember, it is an evening event and that calls for a touch more glamour. Night time light is so different to the daytime. The overall look is glamour and sophistication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom