Prince Frederik and Princess Mary's Official Visit to Brazil: September 16-21, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've enjoyed following the coverage of this tour. It looks like it's been quite successful. I think Brazil would be a wonderful place to visit.. wonder if Mary and Frederik will squeeze in any private travel time?

I think they will.
As far as I understand they have friends in Brazil.

As a matter of fact, it is not a bow and an arrow. It is a one string musical instrument known as Berimbau (Berimbau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and is used to mark the rhythym of people playing Capoeira (Afro-Brazilian martial art. The slaves used to play it to avoid being captured by their owners when they ran away.

Thanks cmbruno :)
It's details like that I love to know about.

There is a nice article on a Brazilian magazine praising F&M for being very down to earth. Zero afetados, príncipes curtem o Rio como locais Zero afetados, príncipes curtem o Rio como locais – Bruno Astuto – Época
According to the article, they and their companions occupied all the apartments on the 36th floor of Windsor Atlantica Hotel. They also tried a little bit of the carioca (how the natives of Rio are called) way of life – as soon as they arrived in Rio (at 7PM on Tuesday) they walked by the beach and then has drinks at the top floor of the hotel. Frederik had a caipirinha (Brazilian fire water, lime, sugar and ice) and Mary had a dry martini. The next day in the morning, Frederik went bicycle riding and Mary ran by his side on the track by the beach. Later they had lunch at the hotel restaurant. On Thursday morning they had breakfast prepared by the Danish Chef Nicolai Tram and offered by the Danish Tourism Bureau.

Also on Thursday, Mary visited The Fernandes Figueira National Health Institute of Women, Children and Adolescents where she learned about The Brazilian program to promote breast feeding. When some children started singing for her, she spontaneously joined them on the stage. The woman you see by the Princess’ side is Maria Paula, a Brazilian comedian who breast fed her two children till when they were 2 years old. Maria Paula is also patroness of the movement to create the World Day of mill donation. CARAS - Realeza - Princesa Mary é recebida por Maria Paula no Rio de Janeiro

Afterwards, Frederik and Mary visited Olimpic Comitee in Rio. Príncipe herdeiro da Dinamarca é recebido no Comitê Rio 2016

Then they left Rio to Belo Horizonte, capital of of the state of Minas Gerais where they had dinner with the governor. See video here CARAS - Realeza - Princesa Mary é recebida por Maria Paula no Rio de Janeiro

Thank you for the information, cmbruno. It's good to have you in this thread :flowers:

Great to see Mary and Frederik got to experience some of the Brazil's beautiful nature. I guess Frederik and Mary had a romantic walk on the beach and probably remembered their first visit to Brazil many years ago. I can almost see them for me along the water's edge. It's nice that they have a little time to enjoy twosomeness on these trips, despite a very busy schedule.

Can you take a bit of romance?
No? Then skip this gallery from BT of M&F strolling hand in hand along the beach. http://www.bt.dk/royale/se-billederne-kronprinsparret-haand-i-haand-paa-strandtur

A couple of comments.
I don't know much about fashion, I do however remember the 70's and the last time I saw anyone in a suit like that was around 1974 I think. - Because it is the Age of Aquarious..... :whistling:
(We seriously need two more smilies, one that is a hippie and one which is smoking pot).

I also notice that Frederik has sunk his teeth into Mary, because she has been infected with the when-doing-nothing-else-with-my-hands-put-them-in-my-pockets-syndrome.

Last edited:
Can you take a bit of romance?
No? Then skip this gallery from BT of M&F strolling hand in hand along the beach. Se billederne: Kronprinsparret hånd i hånd på strandtur | www.bt.dk

(...)

I also notice that Frederik has sunk his teeth into Mary, because she has been infected with the when-doing-nothing-else-with-my-hands-put-them-in-my-pockets-syndrome.

Thank you Muhler. Beautiful pictures of the couple on the beach. I especially like picture 5 :wub: It could be a postcard.
(Or perhaps the new cover of Billedbladet next week :p)

Has Frederik infected Mary to put her hands in her pockets? I haven't noticed :D

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a nice article on a Brazilian magazine website praising F&M for being very down to earth. Zero afetados, príncipes curtem o Rio como locais Zero afetados, príncipes curtem o Rio como locais – Bruno Astuto – Época
According to the article, they and their companions occupied all the apartments on the 36th floor of Windsor Atlantica Hotel. They also tried a little bit of the carioca (how the natives of Rio are called) way of life – as soon as they arrived in Rio (at 7PM on Tuesday) they walked by the beach and then had drinks at the top floor of the hotel. Frederik had a caipirinha (Brazilian fire water, lime, sugar and ice) and Mary had a dry martini. The next day in the morning, Frederik went bicycle riding and Mary ran by his side on the track by the beach. Later they had lunch at the hotel restaurant. On Thursday morning they had breakfast prepared by the Danish Chef Nicolai Tram and offered by the Danish Tourism Bureau.

thank you cmbruno :flowers: its nice reading a little bit about their down time and that they have made a good impression

Article and a videoclip from their last day in Brazil from billedbladet:
Billed-Bladet - Video

And then it is all over. Mary and Frederik must now be back in Denmark. :flowers:

Thanks to all for posting articles, photos and information. It has been a delightful visit to follow.

On a superficial note, Mary wore some great clothes on this trip! The weird 70s jumpsuit at the beach made my eyes burn, but other than that I've loved most of her styles. I think the blue dress at the dinner with the governor was one of the nicest I've ever seen on her.

According to Ekstra Bladet: Ekstra Bladet - Mary syg p flyveturen

Mary was ill on the plane home.
They quote Frederik for confirming that and saying it had something to do with the air condition.
That would also be the reason why only Frederik, but not Mary, attended a birthday shortly after returning to Copenhagen.

Fantastic photos, thanks to all that posted.

There are some many great photos, love the ones of M&F on the beach, they look so serenely happy. The chair pictures (as I call them) are also lovely but I especially love the ones with Mary and children, she is so gentle and tender when around little ones.

Are the chairs M&F sitting in by a Danish designer?
Sorry, I know it is probably somewhere in this thread but I am trying to catch up as I have not had a computer for a few weeks.Thanks

Fantastic photos, thanks to all that posted.

There are some many great photos, love the ones of M&F on the beach, they look so serenely happy. The chair pictures (as I call them) are also lovely but I especially love the ones with Mary and children, she is so gentle and tender when around little ones.

Are the chairs M&F sitting in by a Danish designer?
Sorry, I know it is probably somewhere in this thread but I am trying to catch up as I have not had a computer for a few weeks.Thanks

Yes they are

The CPCe participate in the opening of the Fritz Hansen chairs exhibition at MuBE (Mudeo Brasileiro da Escultura). The exhibition includes 50 Arne Jacobsen 'Egg' chairs, decorated by the Danish artist Tal R.

Thanks Binz

I like how they are decorated and they look so comfortable.

By all accounts and the photos that I have had a chance to see it appears to have been a very sucessful trip for.

Yes they are

The CPCe participate in the opening of the Fritz Hansen chairs exhibition at MuBE (Mudeo Brasileiro da Escultura). The exhibition includes 50 Arne Jacobsen 'Egg' chairs, decorated by the Danish artist Tal R.

Wish they'd stop beating that horse. Sure the "Egg" chair is beautiful etc. but there is so much out there - also from Danish designers.

However, Fritz Hansen only have two or three chairs (all Arne Jacobsen) that are interesting, so they think that by draping them in any kind of fur etc. must make them all the more interesting.

Fail!

:previous: Of Frederik.

Modelled from how he looked when he was to embark on Sirius 2000, hence the beard.
It was originally placed in a park in Brasilia, but vanished. It was later found in a lake and has now been restored - including having the ears cleaned as Frederik jokingly pointed out.

Frederik obviously isn't used to seeing busts of himself, I guess he isn't sufferering from this syndrome: :napoleon:
(I've been longing to use that smiley!)

Last edited:
:previous: Of Frederik.

Modelled from how he looked when he was to embark on Sirius 2000, hence the beard.
It was originally placed in a park in Brasilia, but vanished. It was later found in a lake and has now been restored - including having the ears cleaned as Frederik jokingly pointed out.

Frederik obviously isn't used to seeing busts of himself, I guess he isn't sufferering from this syndrome: :napoleon:
(I've been longing to use that smiley!)

thanks Muhler.
I'd say the artist did a very good job.
Frederik is too humble to get used to seeing busts or paintings of himself. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom