Prince Frederik & Princess Mary's Official Visit to Australia: Feb. 27-March 11, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great photos, pdas1201 and Danielle. Marymania continues. It´s great to see everybody happy too!

I really agree with Alexandria with the issues.

When it comes to the act of giving in charities or funds, I think every individual has a perception on the roles of A-lists people involved and in an event wherein ordinary people are the only ones present. Because others have different opinions when famous people are involved in the event, some will say its just the same while some will remark that it raises the status of the said fund raising or event. But one thing is sure that influence can really play a big factor also in events like this may it be local, national or global.

But when it comes to giving I personally think of it not as a duty but as a privilege.

I certainly love The Royal Forums, people voice out their great ideas and true opinions! To all the members, let's do this together to make the board the best!

It just said on a news update that Mary and Frederik spent the afternoon climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge. :) I haven't seen any photos on the internet though.

I'm lucky and privileged, says Mary, and my shoes don't hurt a bit

By Matthew Benns
March 6, 2005
The Sun-Herald

Page Tools

Crown Princess Mary faced the tough questions yesterday when she visited sick children in the wards of the Children's Hospital at Westmead.

"Do those shoes hurt?" asked cystic fibrosis sufferer Danny Lees, 15, from Sydney.

The princess smiled and told him her chocolate-brown stilettos were "just fine, thank you very much".

"What's it like being a princess?" asked another.

"I am lucky I have a privileged position. I enjoy my charity work, it's a wonderful chance to highlight problems," she replied.

And she was certainly true to her word yesterday. Showing no sign of fatigue from her time on the dance floor at the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Ball the night before.

After visiting the neo-natal intensive care ward, Princess Mary went to the cardiac ward where five-year-old Daniel Martin from Ballina pretended to shoot her with his Spider-Man web.

The princess was astonished to hear the bouncing boy had had surgery on his heart the day before.

AdvertisementAdvertisement
Daniel was not impressed with the celebrity visit. His father, Niall, said: "He was hoping it would be the Wiggles."

Jerome McCready, 13, from Morisset, met the princess after being flown to the hospital because he was suffering chest pains at school on Tuesday.

"She was nice but different to how I expected," Jerome said. "I was expecting her to be in a big dress with a crown and stuff, but she looked quite normal."

Cystic fibrosis sufferer Danielle Mitchell, 15, from Quakers Hill, said: "I would have thought princesses like her would be snobby, but she is really caring and she takes everything to heart. She feels what we feel."

Clair Sanson, 14, from Doonside, who is suffering from depression and diabetes, said: "She asks how we are and not many people do that. She doesn't look at us and go, "They're sick, let's go away'."

paulette said:
When it comes to the act of giving in charities or funds, I think every individual has a perception on the roles of A-lists people involved and in an event wherein ordinary people are the only ones present. Because others have different opinions when famous people are involved in the event, some will say its just the same while some will remark that it raises the status of the said fund raising or event. But one thing is sure that influence can really play a big factor also in events like this may it be local, national or global.

I think that is so right! Mary has attended alot of charity events and done a great job on this Australia trip. And I think she does enjoy helping out. But does she have to wear a brand new ballgown or prada skirt every time? Look at CP Victoria or CP Mette Marit who does just as much for charity but actually use their wardrobe and mix and match it with old and new things every time. The work they do is important to them, not the clothes they are wearing, which I think is the way it should be.

A Very Big Deal Indeed

Larzen said:
Im a little confused about this number, shall I understand it like that if Mary had not attended theese charity balls there would have been raised 0$ ? Or is this two million dollars comming from arrangements that would not have been hosted if Frederik and Mary was no there, like the lunch? I mean the redcross and Victor Chang ball would surly have been a sucess and raised money without Marys attendance I suppose?

Goodness me its hard to please some people isn't it?

For a fact, some of these events were specifically aranged for the Royal visit.
eg the private society Cancer Research function which raised several hundred thousand dollars was organised by Mary's former boss from when she worked in Melbourne.

And believe me, people in Sydney would not have paid up to $3,000 a ticket to attend an event if Mary and Frederik were not in attendance.
I can assure you the average Red Cross Ball would not be a sell-out or achieve front-page newspaper and prime-time television coverage without the attraction of the Crown Princess.

I would have thought this was pretty much self-evident.

Mary and Frederik have taken this town by storm; we have not seen anything like it since Charles and Diana visited us in the early eighties.

And more

I hope I haven't duplicated any.

No watermark: Courtesy SMH (front page), Getty Images

There should soon be some spectacular pictures of Frederik and Mary on top of the arch of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Attachments

• SMHa.jpg
    SMHa.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 513
Last edited by a moderator:
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif

Sydney, March 6, 2005. Crown Prince Frederik and Princess Mary of Denmark arrive to a community hall after a service at the Danish Lutheran Church in the Sydney north western suburb of Pennant Hills today. (AAP Image/POOL/Mick Tsikas)
blank.gif
blank.gif

[font=Arial, Helvetica]March 6, 2005. Sydney, NSW. Danish Royal Tour. Crown Prince Frederik and Princess Mary of Denmark on The Sydney Harbour Bridge climb. Pic Nathan Edwards
Photographer - NATHAN EDWARDS
[/font]

Attachments

• mary church.JPG
    mary church.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 369
  • DR1.JPG
    DR1.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 362
  • DR2.JPG
    DR2.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 378
  • DR3.JPG
    DR3.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 450
  • DR4.JPG
    DR4.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 248
Last edited by a moderator:
bolla said:
I think that is so right! Mary has attended alot of charity events and done a great job on this Australia trip. And I think she does enjoy helping out. But does she have to wear a brand new ballgown or prada skirt every time? Look at CP Victoria or CP Mette Marit who does just as much for charity but actually use their wardrobe and mix and match it with old and new things every time. The work they do is important to them, not the clothes they are wearing, which I think is the way it should be.

Mette-Marit's wardrobe also increased quite a lot in the first year she was married. As she pointed out then, she didn't have the wardrobe suitable for a Crown Princess from before the wedding. Neither did Mary.

I expect we'll see a lot of Mary's recent new gowns and outfits at a later date, perhaps remade slightly... The Scandinavian Royals are fairly good about using their outfit several times, and over several years, with small changes.

norwegianne said:
Mette-Marit's wardrobe also increased quite a lot in the first year she was married. As she pointed out then, she didn't have the wardrobe suitable for a Crown Princess from before the wedding. Neither did Mary.

did she actually say that?

Mette-Marit said this in an interview about her shopping spree: "Dronningen og Prinsessen har jo en garderobe de har bygget opp i mange år: Jeg hadde ikke akkurat så mange gallakjoler før jeg ble kjent med Haakon." Or in English: "The Queen and the Princess have a wardrobe they've built up over many years: I didn't have that many ball gowns before I got to know Haakon."

I think the case is similar to Mary's.

I actually think Mary does a pretty good job at recycling her things. Granted that she does have quite an extensive wardrobe, I love the way she mixes and matches her clothes. Sometimes she does it so well, it takes a while to notice that it's actually something she's worn before. I think that's the true talent of mixing and matching. To wear something again but having no one notice it at first glance.

More pics from visiting Children's Hospital at Westmead

Like photo where's she waving with teddy in her arms..cute..lol..but all photos are so great..

Attachments

• PRINCESS_MARY6_008.jpg
    PRINCESS_MARY6_008.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 303
  • PRINCESS_MARY6_006.jpg
    PRINCESS_MARY6_006.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 332
  • PRINCESS_MARY6_002.jpg
    PRINCESS_MARY6_002.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 287
norwegianne said:

I expect we'll see a lot of Mary's recent new gowns and outfits at a later date, perhaps remade slightly... The Scandinavian Royals are fairly good about using their outfit several times, and over several years, with small changes.

I totally understand that Mary needed to get a brand new wardrobe for her royal duties as CP, but I cannot remember Mett-Marit having that many new clothes in her first year as a CP

bolla said:
I totally understand that Mary needed to get a brand new wardrobe for her royal duties as CP, but I cannot remember Mett-Marit having that many new clothes in her first year as a CP

If you remeber she did get some critique in the papers for going to NY and spending 100 000 kr (or something like that) on clotes. I think this was straight after the engagement. And Norway have less pomp and circumstance than Denmark, so Mette-Marit doesn't necessarily need a huge warderobe, such as Mary might need. I think its easier on Mette-Marit than Mary, because nobody in Norway will get upset if Mette-Marit wears her jeans and t-shirts, but I think Mary would get "in trouble" for that in the press. But then again I might be way off here :)

The pics of her in the shop holding up a casual red floral dress, with some clothes thrown in a box; these clothes don´t seem to be the ones a Crown Princess needs to build up her wardrobe for Crown Princessy duties, my dear.
I think she´s just fixated with shopping, and now she has the loads more money to spend.

KikkiB said:
Norway have less pomp and circumstance than Denmark, so Mette-Marit doesn't necessarily need a huge warderobe, such as Mary might need. I think its easier on Mette-Marit than Mary, because nobody in Norway will get upset if Mette-Marit wears her jeans and t-shirts, but I think Mary would get "in trouble" for that in the press. But then again I might be way off here :)

I know that Mette-Marit's wardrobe is probably one of the more relaxed and casual wardrobes of the present Crown Princesses, but I've never seen her show up for a royal function in jeans and a t-shirt, even if it was a sporty one or one involving kids. And if Mette-Marit's showing up at private parties or for a day in the park with Marius in jeans and a t-shirt, why would anyone complain? Just as why would anyone in the Danish press complain about Mary showing up in jeans and a t-shirt at a private party, a sporting event or to go shopping? I can hardly see Mary going for a private ride on her horses in one of her suits or skirts.

I don't think there is any reason for Mary to have a larger wardrobe than Mette-Marit. I think the reason why some people think of Norway as less pomp and circumstance then Denmark is perhaps because the Norwegian CP couple has not been on that many "glamorous" state visits with large charity event balls. They've been to places like Africa where showing up in hot cotoure would simply be rude. Although F & M has been to NY and Sydney and she has always had a new outfits does not mean she really needs it for her work.

bolla said:
I don't think there is any reason for Mary to have a larger wardrobe than Mette-Marit. I think the reason why some people think of Norway as less pomp and circumstance then Denmark is perhaps because the Norwegian CP couple has not been on that many "glamorous" state visits with large charity event balls. They've been to places like Africa where showing up in hot cotoure would simply be rude. Although F & M has been to NY and Sydney and she has always had a new outfits does not mean she really needs it for her work.

A good point bolla about Norwegian "versus" Danish pomp and the difference between the trips Haakon and Mette-Marit have been on "versus" the trips Frederik and Mary have been on. (Although, even when Mette-Marit visited New York several years ago her wardrobe was a heavy dose of mix and match separates; she didn't seem to pack as much as Mary did on her trip.)

I get the feeling that it may also have to do with the personalities of the two couples. Haakon and Mette-Marit seem (to me) to be a very down to earth, laid back, more casual (less formal) couple and that is reflected in their wardrobes while Frederik and Mary seem to indulge a bit more in the glamour and gliltz of royal life than their Norwegian counterparts, hence more holidays and the more extensive wardrobe.

I'm not saying either Haakon and Mette-Marit or Frederik and Mary's way is right or wrong, but that there is a difference in the two couples as there is a difference in the trips they've each undertaken so far.

I am not against Mary in any way. I do not think she is superficial or stuck up like I have seen some posts claim. I just feel that sometimes her beautiful wardrobe "rescues" her and make people forget why she is actually there. It seems to be a major part in why she has become popular so fast that she knows how to dress, and I think that is wrong because frankly that is not the biggest part of being a royal.

When CP Mette-Marit went to Africa she dressed so casual and elegant and really seemed to be touched by the people that was there. That made me have so much more respect for her as a royal. That she genuinly seemed to care about people and the causes she support. I am sure when Mary grows and become more confident as a royal she will do the same, and realise that you can get as much attention for the causes you support without wearing a brand new designer outfit every time or bring a personal make-up consultant when she is representing abroad.

To me the danish court is the most "traditional", not in a bad way, along with the British, meaning that when the royal ladies are out and about they often wear hats and their ladies in waiting are very prominent. If you look at pictures of the spanish, norwegian and belgium ladies there are rarely (norway and belgium) and never (spain) hats and you have to really look to see who is their personal helper, in lack of better word. None of theese courts has ladies in waiting AFAIK.

I dont think any royal lady goes on a official trip without someone to help them with wardrobe and makeup, when MM went to Malawi she had with her a woman that helped her with makeup and clothes.

The trip to Australia is indeed very glamerous with alot of balls and dinners and more to come, and Mary has not attended so many such occations before so she therefor needs some new gowns, but when you see so many so closely after each other and she is accompanied by a stylist, a hairdresser, a chambermaid and a lady in waiting and then you compare her to Letizia who I dont think wore any new clothes for her intired five days trip to Brazil and Uruguay it is easy to draw conclusions. Guess one should not compare as the courts are different.

I also think the fact that MAry has done three fashionshoots and attended alot of fashionshows also contribute to the "feel" that she has more clothes than the rest which Im not intiredly sure she does All the CPs has huge and expensive wardrobes and some recycle ALOT like Letizia and Victoria (yes same velvet jacket three times in nine days:rolleyes: ) and some more seldom, like Maxima and then there are the three remaining M-s somewhere in between IMO.

Larzen said:
To me the danish court is the most "traditional", not in a bad way, along with the British, meaning that when the royal ladies are out and about they often wear hats and their ladies in waiting are very prominent. If you look at pictures of the spanish, norwegian and belgium ladies there are rarely (norway and belgium) and never (spain) hats and you have to really look to see who is their personal helper, in lack of better word. None of theese courts has ladies in waiting AFAIK.

I dont think any royal lady goes on a official trip without someone to help them with wardrobe and makeup, when MM went to Malawi she had with her a woman that helped her with makeup and clothes.

The trip to Australia is indeed very glamerous with alot of balls and dinners and more to come, and Mary has not attended so many such occations before so she therefor needs some new gowns, but when you see so many so closely after each other and she is accompanied by a stylist, a hairdresser, a chambermaid and a lady in waiting and then you compare her to Letizia who I dont think wore any new clothes for her intired five days trip to Brazil and Uruguay it is easy to draw conclusions. Guess one should not compare as the courts are different.

I also think the fact that MAry has done three fashionshoots and attended alot of fashionshows also contribute to the "feel" that she has more clothes than the rest which Im not intiredly sure she does All the CPs has huge and expensive wardrobes and some recycle ALOT like Letizia and Victoria (yes same velvet jacket three times in nine days:rolleyes: ) and some more seldom, like Maxima and then there are the three remaining M-s somewhere in between IMO.

Well said Larzen!

Melbourne Herald Sun

Royal rules out the window

07mar05

"AUSSIE, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi" is not the usual greeting for royalty. But when that royalty is home-grown, rules of decorum appear to go out the window.

Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik and Princess Mary were greeted with the popular catchcry as they arrived for a service at a Danish church in Sydney yesterday.

More than 1000 people waited up to six hours to see Prince Frederik and his Australian-born wife arrive at the Danish Church in Australia in Pennant Hills.

People, many clutching flowers and cameras, stood behind barriers on the street, perched on ladders and even climbed trees to catch a glimpse of the couple.

Princess Mary, 33, said the response was overwhelming after shaking hands with people and accepting flowers.

Prince Frederik has not accompanied his wife to many official engagements while in Sydney last week, but joined her on her walkabout yesterday.

He said later it felt fantastic to have such a popular wife.

"We love you Princess Mary," young girls called out as their mothers leaned forward to shake the hand of the prince.

Anita Zeaiter, who lives opposite the church, draped her front garden with red and white streamers and put out a large banner that read, "G'day and Welcome Frederik and Mary".

"I think it's wonderful," Mrs Zeaiter said of the royal couple's tour. "They've touched the hearts of so many people."

Ms Zeaiter said the first fan arrived outside the church at 4.30am.

AAP March 7, 2005

Danish Crown Princess Mary and Prince Frederik will announce six celebrity Hans Christian Andersen ambassadors at the Sydney Opera House to mark the bicentenary of the writer's birth.

The royal couple will also unveil a bust of Andersen on Observatory Hill, near the Sydney Harbour Bridge, before attending a cocktail party and meeting the family of Jorn Utzon, Danish architect of the opera house.

The six appointed ambassadors will represent the Hans Christian Andersen 2005 Foundation to promote celebrations of the storyteller's life and work.

The organisers are remaining tightlipped about the identities of the ambassadors, of whom four are Australian and one is from New Zealand.

"One is an Oscar winner, one is a best-selling author, one a modern day children's storyteller, one a diva on the world stage and one a television and radio host," a statement said.

Prince Frederik will also announce an Honorary Hans Christian Andersen Ambassador for Australia. The ceremony will be immediately followed by the unveiling of the Andersen bust, which has been donated by the Australian Danish community and replaces one stolen from Phillip Park - now Cook and Phillip Park - in 1984.

The Age

Royal gaze turns to Melbourne
March 7, 2005

It's a flush season for royals.

Victoria Ingrid Alice Desiree, Crown Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Vastergotland, will be in Melbourne mid-week as the titular head of "Swedish Style in Australia".

The event, which will be launched at a gala dinner on Thursday, is a celebration of all things Swedish (and excellence) in design, fashion, music, travel, environment and food.

While Australia has bid farewell to Prince Charles, Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary will arrive in Melbourne on Thursday, having continued their public relations blitz in Sydney yesterday.

Clearly touched by the welcome they received at a Danish Lutheran church in Pennant Hills, the royal couple mingled with the record crowd, some of whom had been waiting since 5am. Dressed in a cream top and white-spotted black wrap skirt, Mary accepted bunches of flowers, while Frederik, in a beige suit, greeted some aspiring princesses.

Zoe Anstee, 7, was elated she was able to give Mary a packet of Fruit Tingles. "She's probably the best princess I've ever seen," Zoe said.

Attachments

• 7n_mary_wideweb__430x279.jpg
    7n_mary_wideweb__430x279.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 242
The Australian

Princess to be storyteller ambassador

March 07, 2005

DENMARK'S Crown Princess Mary was appointed an honorary Hans Christian Andersen ambassador by her husband Crown Prince Frederik at the Sydney Opera House today.

The announcement launched Hans Christian Andersen Day, celebrating the bicentenary of the Danish storyteller's birth.

The ceremony took place in the Jorn Utzon Room, named in honour of the Opera House's Danish architect.

Princess Mary chose a figure-hugging outfit with dark brown bodice and bronze-coloured skirt, topped with a matching broad-brimmed hat, for the occasion.

Prince Frederik wore a light brown suit with a bronze-coloured striped silk tie.

Kissing his wife as he appointed her ambassador, Prince Frederik said the Crown Princess "knew three Danes" when she first went to Denmark.

"Andersen, Utzon and my humble self," he told invited guests at the Opera House today.

"So it seems only natural that today here in the Utzon Room I have the great pleasure of appointing Crown Princess Mary as honorary Hans Christian Andersen ambassador to Australia."

Prince Frederik also appointed TV host Andrew Denton, children's author Mem Fox, Oscar-winning actor Geoffrey Rush and author Bryce Courtenay, saying they were "all storytellers in their own right".

They join soprano Dame Kiri Te Kanawa who was named ambassador for New Zealand in promoting celebration of Andersen's life and work.

The royal couple will head to Sydney's Observatory Hill where they will unveil a bust of Andersen at noon today.

Canberra Times

Princess charms a whole new crowd
By Jenna Price
Monday, 7 March 2005

Australian-born Princess Mary wowed a brand-new crowd in Sydney yesterday, ordinary suburban mums, dads and babies in strollers. Imagine what it will be like when she turns up to traditionally warm and welcoming Canberra tomorrow.

She also took charge in her native country and Crown Prince Frederik learned a thing or two from his wife about how to charm an Australian crowd.

The couple went to a service at the Danish Church in Pennant Hills at 10am yesterday, utterly astonishing police by the number of people who came. And some of those turned out very, very early.

Senior Constable Daniel Turner, of Eastwood, said they had expected few more than 200, but the turnout was closer to 2000, royal fans seven and eight deep in some areas. By the time police actually arrived to mark the access areas, 200-300 people had already bagged favourite spots and were none too cheerful about having to move.

First there was Brooke Ireland, 23, of Blacktown, a mere 20km from Pennant Hills who began her vigil at 5am.

"I didn't know how many people were going to be here but I wanted to get a good spot," she said.

Brooke started to get company at six (including visitors from Gosford, 50km; and Kemspey, 400km). By the time the princess arrived the crowd was huge - but still generous enough to let anyone under 12 with a bunch of flowers sit in the front row, perched under the barricades.

The barricades were a bit of a hoot, really. There weren't enough to contain the numbers but the crowd was so obedient, so happy to be part of the fairytale, that imaginary barricades kept them in place.

Obedient - but certainly keen to see the princess. At 9.55am, plenty of middle-aged mums started clicking their tongues and murmuring about punctuality and then just two minutes later, she arrived.

Total cheering mania and cries of "Mary, Mary," erupted from the crowd, about half of whom claimed to have Danish connections. The couple emerged from their car and Frederik moved towards the church.

Hobart Mercury

Agents offer royals a home
By LUKE SAYER
07mar05

REAL estate agents are eagerly preparing property portfolios to show Danish Crown Prince Frederik and his wife, Crown Princess Mary.

The couple, who arrive in Tasmania on Thursday, have expressed an interest in buying a property in Tasmania for a "home away from home".

Real Estate Institute of Tasmania executive officer Martin Harris said agents statewide were interested.

Properties proposed range from Hobart penthouses with water views through to country estates.

Mr Harris said the type of property would depend on the royal couple's needs.

"The word was that they could be spending up to $3 million. You can buy a lot of property in Tasmania for that," he said.

East Coast agent Robert Evans, of L.J. Hooker Bicheno, said there were many good East Coast properties.

"We have at least three -- one in Coles Bay, another just north of Bicheno and another in Bicheno -- that may suit them well," he said.

"I would be quite happy to show them around if they are interested, although I thought they might send someone ahead of them to do that sort of thing."

Other suggestions include the $1.85 million Musselroe House in the North-East and a $1.08 million Queen Anne Federation mansion in Launceston.

Closer to Princess Mary's old stomping ground is a six-bedroom home near Hobart's Royal Yacht Club, going for about $1 million.

Elders Real Estate agent Betty Kay, of Smithton, suggested a couple of properties in the North-West -- including a large rural property at Circular Head and another with a "Danish-style home" nestled in the hills behind Ulverstone.

"Both have the privacy that they would no doubt be looking for, somewhere they could be secluded," Mrs Kay said.

"It would be good for the North-West."

Daily Telegraph

Congregating to worship princess

By NICOLETTE CASELLA

March 7, 2005

THERE can be no doubt about the power of Mary-mania – more than 1000 well-wishers were bordering on hysterical when the Princess hit the suburbs for the first time yesterday.

Children, many in princess costumes, chanted "we love you, Mary" and adults – both men and women – jostled to shake hands with the Princess.

Other admirers tried to get her attention by paying homage to her heritage, shouting in unison: "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oi, oi, oi."

Mary took the adulation in her stride, accepting countless bouquets of flowers and gifts, including teddy bears and a Leggo set which required the assistance of her aides to carry.

When asked what she thought of the crowd, Mary seemed lost for the right word before settling on "overwhelmed".

Prince Frederik enthusiastically added in Danish that it was "fantastisk" to have such a popular wife.

The throng of admirers filled both streets surrounding the Danish Church in Pennant Hills, where the royal couple attended an hour-long service and visited the adjoining Sunday school.

The 10am service was conducted in Danish and Princess Mary impressed parishioners with her grasp of the difficult language at a morning tea that followed.

Official figures estimate there are 7000 Danes living in Sydney, including 300 members of the Lutheran-Evangelical church – although only 168 could squeeze into the unassuming stone building.

Tom and Lone Jansen, who were invited to attend the church service, said they were impressed by how Mary had adapted to her Danish royal role.

"She spoke in Danish the whole time and she was very good at it," Mrs Jansen said.

"Her Australian accent crept in at times but so it should."

Mr Jansen said he liked that the couple had taken the time to meet the children.

"They are very sweet and natural with children. It was very much a thrill to see them," Mr Jansen said.

Their children, Sofia, 8, and Marta, 5, both met Mary and Frederik at the Sunday school.

Marta gave Mary a drawing of her and Frederik with a large red love heart between them.

Attorney-General Philip Ruddock, who also attended the service with his wife Heather, talked to Prince Frederik about the warming Australian and Danish relations.

"He is very bright, very alert and very engaging," Mr Ruddock said.

"Inevitably in that position they are the attributes you need to have to fulfill your responsibilities.

"It is good to see he is broadening his horizons because one day he will be king of Denmark."

Mrs Ruddock said she thought Mary was confident in her new job and seemed to be enjoying it immensely.

Guests at the morning tea dined on Danish delicacies including a pastry called wiener kringler, a marzipan cake in the shape of a church and warm ham and cheese crescents, which Mary took a particular liking to.

The royal couple also nibbled on prawns wrapped in prosciutto and asparagus with prosciutto and a bernaise sauce.

In the meantime, well-wishers waited two hours in the surrounding streets, which were a spectacle of homemade banners, red and white streamers and a sea of digital cameras and Danish and Australian flags.

Some fans in prime positions had waited even longer in the hope of meeting the couple, who wore matching outfits.

Mary was dressed in a conservative cream fitted jumper and a chocolate brown and white polka-dot skirt while Frederik wore a fawn suit with a bronze silk tie.

Apart from a visit to Westmead Hospital, the couple had spent their trip until yesterday around the city and Eastern Suburbs.

After returning to their hotel, the royal couple re-emerged at 5pm to join the legions of celebrities who have climbed the Harbour Bridge.

The Prince and the Princess were joined by Mary's sister Jane Stephens and her husband Craig, bridesmaid and best friend Amber Petty and, as always, their security guards.

Photo from the Sydney Morning Herald today from yesterday and the cover of the Sunday Telegraph as well.

Attachments

• maryfred_wideweb__430x338.jpg
    maryfred_wideweb__430x338.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 238
  • Mary.jpeg
    Mary.jpeg
    20.1 KB · Views: 301
Back
Top Bottom