Prince Christian's First Day of Primary School: August 12, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Mary is wanting her children to grow up in a normal life. Just the same as Diana had wanted for William and Harry. I think she ought to be commended for this. On a whole, I do love this royal family. They are extremely down to earth, modest, sensible and certainly display the good family values that one would expect to see. They are also well loved and respected by the Danish people.

Last edited:
http://www.bt.dk/bttv/clip/19163
This is what Christian said to the press on his first day to school:

Thanks a lot for that, I could gather from Christinan, Frederik and Mary's facial expressions and from the reporters' laughters when it was that he was saying something funny, but it's much clearer now...
Well, F&M seem to have done a good work with C so far, he sounds nice and confident. As for the two of them, I like it that they seem to pay attenion to the oldest two while looking after the twins. It soulf be exausting, but they seem to be doing just fine!

Last edited by a moderator:
well maybe is just me but I think what Christian say or didn't said...was not political correct...to say "I won't say..." and It's a secret...why? is it so bad to say what is on his lunch bag??:ROFLMAO:

well maybe is just me but I think what Christian say or didn't said...was not political correct...to say "I won't say..." and It's a secret...why? is it so bad to say what is on his lunch bag??:ROFLMAO:

They were certainly direct answers. :)

As to not saying who his friends are could be down to shyness or he is already now being trained to not saying anything about his friends to the press, lest they are hounded by the media.

As for "it's a secret". Well, this is pure speculation: Either he has got wits or he has been told that this is a way to avoid answering a question.

Last edited:
As for "it's a secret". Well, this is pure speculation: Either he has got wit or he has been told that this is a way to avoid answering a question.
Actually it was CPss Mary who started this by saying: "It´s personal" and Prince Christian added: "It´s a secret" :flowers:

- BT TV - BT.dk
This is what Christian said to the press on his first day to school:

Muhler, I hope your father in law is doing ok! It's always stressful when a family member is ill.
I continue to enjoy your translations! I especially like any sort of translation of the family speaking directly, such as this latest little interview with Christian, as a lot is written about the family but it's always nice to hear things straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. :)

It's interesting to me that the children in each class stay together for ten years, and that the teachers are putting so much effort into choosing the classes because of this. IMO I think it's reasonable to try to put a group together that will mix well for one year, but a group that mixes well at five may be completely different at eight or twelve or fifteen years old. Looking out further than a year they might as well pick them at random.

Last edited by a moderator:
and when I saw the video again I had the same opinion from the Grasten photos, Mary is very "interested" in her hair, and how to move her head and again her hair...

I'm not at all certain about how much interest there really is in the summaries that I write.
There's lots of interest!!!! But of course, I realize that it must take you a lot of time...! :wave:

I honestly can't believe how quickly almost 6 years has gone, he's a charmer.

Hello everyone. I have been reading this forum for quite a long time but have decided to join in mainly to thank Muhler for all the effort he goes to. Your translations and insights are much appreciated. :)

I am from Australia ( near Sydney) and have followed Mary's journey with interest.

I won't have much to add to the discussions but will continue enjoy reading all about the lovely Danish Royal Family.

For how many hours a day does Christian attend school? I was surprised to hear that he brought a lunch. On the very first day? I thought there would be a "phase in" period.

Hello everyone. I have been reading this forum for quite a long time but have decided to join in mainly to thank Muhler for all the effort he goes to. Your translations and insights are much appreciated. :)

I am from Australia ( near Sydney) and have followed Mary's journey with interest.

I won't have much to add to the discussions but will continue enjoy reading all about the lovely Danish Royal Family.

Congratulations on your first post, Lady Rosie :flowers:

And thank you for your kind and very encouraging words.

However, I'm certain you can contribute a lot to this forum. If by no other means, then simply by asking questions. - And before you know it you will be answering questions.

For how many hours a day does Christian attend school? I was surprised to hear that he brought a lunch. On the very first day? I thought there would be a "phase in" period.

Four hours, Juliette2.:) (Thanks to you too).
So there will be time enough for a lunch break and a long intermission (where he and the other children can be studied while interacting). In many ways it won't be much different from his time in kindergarten.

With Christian now starting school, does it mean he wont be on the cruise with his parents?

I don't think it's official but according to tabloids from months ago Christian (and perhaps Isabella as well) will not go on the cruise with their parents.

With Christian now starting school, does it mean he wont be on the cruise with his parents?

I doubt that very much. Especially here in the early assessment phase at school.
I don't even think we should expect to see the twins, except for the odd nanny with a pram.

As for Isabella? Don't think she will be on the cruise either.

I doubt that very much. Especially here in the early assessment phase at school.
I don't even think we should expect to see the twins, except for the odd nanny with a pram.

As for Isabella? Don't think she will be on the cruise either.

I can understand why but it is a shame, every opportunity to see the children is wonderful.

I thought the purpose of the cruise would be for the people to see their royal family including children. A pity though if the 2 older ones don't join them but I'm sure the twins will accompany them (at least I hope so.)

Iam sure the twins will be with them and I hope we see them with Mary and Frederik when they arrive, like we did with Christian when he was on the cruise with the family. I think on one of the another cruises we also saw Isabella or am I getting confused with a Naval celebration.
I also hope Isabella goes.

Last edited:
Four hours, Juliette2.:) (Thanks to you too).
So there will be time enough for a lunch break and a long intermission (where he and the other children can be studied while interacting). In many ways it won't be much different from his time in kindergarten.

I see, but I suppose then that it's not really "lunch" but more like a snack? And then the children go back home for their midday meal? (Thanks - sorry about the "picky" question: my eldest son is beginning preschool soon so all I do now is thinking about schedules, schools and "first days"!!).

I see, but I suppose then that it's not really "lunch" but more like a snack? And then the children go back home for their midday meal? (Thanks - sorry about the "picky" question: my eldest son is beginning preschool soon so all I do now is thinking about schedules, schools and "first days"!!).

We are not talking about hot meals here. Not at school. He will have a few sandwiches in his lunchbox and probably a couple of fruits as well.
He'll get 0.25 litres of milk from the school. - And as that is hardly enough he'll most likely bring a bottle which he can fill with tap-water. (Also known as goose-wine).

After school, there is an arrangement for the children to stay until 17.00. Here he can take part in various activities, do his homework or just play under the supervison of teachers. It is expected that Christian will stay on for another couple of hours after school most days, - simply to be with his mates.
It's most likely he'll eat the rest of his lunch during that period.

When he comes home Christian will probably have a fruit or two to munch on, until it's time for dinner around 18.00. Then it's off to bed at no later than 20.00.
- That is, if he follows the pattern of a normal Danish child at his age.

M&F may go through the parental ritual of preparing the children's lunchbags in the evening.
Depending on when his class starts, at 08.00 or 09.00, my guess is 08.00, it's up at 06.00-06.30. Giving him about an hour to wake up, shower, get dressed and have a breakfast, before it's off to school.
I understand they start the day with a song. Not a psalm or the anthem, just some sort of goodmorning song.
But then perhaps they'll start the day with: I østen stiger solen op = The sun rise in the east? In fact a beautiful song but so hated by generations of schoolchildren and recruits. :lol:

But then perhaps they'll start the day with: I østen stiger solen op = The sun rise in the east? In fact a beautiful song but so hated by generations of schoolchildren and recruits. :lol:
And churchsingers :whistling::lol::whistling:

All of a sudden it's Thursday again and Billed Bladet is out.

It's easy this week, there are basically only 3½ DRF stories.
It's not that BB don't write about royalty, they do! Down to Pippa's handbag...
And there is no prize for guessing next weeks main story...

Frederik competing is his boat and Christian and Isabella stealing the show. - I'll write a few lines about that later. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...d-sailing-competitions-19107.html#post1304572

An article about where the Scandinavian royals prefer to spend their summer vacation.

Something about Nikolai and Felix first day in school after the holiday. - That has also been covered.

And this:
Brief summary of article in Billed Bladet #33, 2011.
Her kommer jeg - Here I come.
Written by Anna Johannesen.

Mary was wearing a Boss Orange dress.
Christian's rucksack was from Napapijri.
We already know what was said. There were however a few things missed by the DK networks, and a couple of questions from the foreign media.

To the question as to why M&F had chosen a public school rather than a private, Frederik replied: "Thriwing along with the pedagogics have been one of the reasons".

Will Mary from time to time bake cakes for Christian's class?
- "I would like that very much if it's possible. I'll certainly try".

Will mum and dad pick up Christian from school?
- "Christian: "I think so, but it'll most likely be mother".

To the question as to whether he will stay after class, the GFO/SFO arrangement explained elsewhere in this thread, Christian replied: "Perhaps not every day, but nearly".

There will be two classes of 0 graders at Tranegårds School, one with 24 pupils and another with 25 pupils.
The new 0 graders were recieved with flags and singing, all that being organised by the 5th graders, who will act as buddies for the new pupils until they themselves start in 5th grade and become buddies of the new 0 graders.

The schoolmaster, Torben Lind, welcomed the new pupils in the great hall. The 5th graders and the 0 graders were introduced to each other and after an hour and twenty minuttes Christian's first day in school was over.

The day before Christian had dropped by the school, along with his future classmates to have a look at the after-school activities, which they can attend along with other pupils from the younger classes. (But in the eyes of a six year old, they are nevertheless "the big".)

Mary, as you probably know, went to school in Hobart, Tasmania, after having attended preschool in Houston, Texas.

Frederik was homeschooled along with Joachim and they started together in 3th grade at Krebs School. Not only was there a lot of attention and photographers, which Frederik hated, but due to traffic they were also ten minuttes late.
Joachim and Frederik however did not go in the same class. - It must in every respect have been frightening for a shy boy.

Last edited:
We are not talking about hot meals here. Not at school. He will have a few sandwiches in his lunchbox and probably a couple of fruits as well.
He'll get 0.25 litres of milk from the school. - And as that is hardly enough he'll most likely bring a bottle which he can fill with tap-water. (Also known as goose-wine).

After school, there is an arrangement for the children to stay until 17.00. Here he can take part in various activities, do his homework or just play under the supervison of teachers. It is expected that Christian will stay on for another couple of hours after school most days, - simply to be with his mates.
It's most likely he'll eat the rest of his lunch during that period.

When he comes home Christian will probably have a fruit or two to munch on, until it's time for dinner around 18.00. Then it's off to bed at no later than 20.00.
- That is, if he follows the pattern of a normal Danish child at his age.

M&F may go through the parental ritual of preparing the children's lunchbags in the evening.
Depending on when his class starts, at 08.00 or 09.00, my guess is 08.00, it's up at 06.00-06.30. Giving him about an hour to wake up, shower, get dressed and have a breakfast, before it's off to school.
I understand they start the day with a song. Not a psalm or the anthem, just some sort of goodmorning song.

Thanks so much for the info. I really love to learn about other people's/countries' children schedule since I'm always struggling to find the "perfect one" one with my little ones. And since my oldest child will start preschool for the first time in a few weeks I'm trying to adjust now...Do parents I suppose go to bed no later than 10pm then?

P.S. Goose-wine??? :ROFLMAO:

Thanks so much for the info. I really love to learn about other people's/countries' children schedule since I'm always struggling to find the "perfect one" one with my little ones. And since my oldest child will start preschool for the first time in a few weeks I'm trying to adjust now...Do parents I suppose go to bed no later than 10pm then?

P.S. Goose-wine??? :ROFLMAO:

Your are welcome. :)

Well, I guess that depends on how rested you want to be when you get up, eh? :coffee: or :bounce:

Most people I know with a day job, including Mrs. Muhler, go to bed around 23.00. (I work odd hours so I don't count and I only require five hours anyway).
It also buys some time if your children only have say five minuttes on a bike to school. - That doesn't mean it's any easier to get the children out of bed, because it is not!
In fact I envy you. For the next few years it'll be no problem for you to get your son off to school. But in about four years from now, you'll literally have to drag him out of bed and you'd wish it was possible to teleport him directly from bed to school. :beamup:
At least Christian can sleep a little in the car on the way to school.

I have to give props to the princely couple for holding up so well on their oldest child's first day of school. When my first child started kindergarten, I cried like a baby. As a matter of fact, I cried when each of my children started kindergarten. They're a beautiful family, though, and you could certainly see the pride on their faces as Prince Christian answered questions about his school. No doubt he'll have a wonderful school year!

In fact I envy you. For the next few years it'll be no problem for you to get your son off to school. But in about four years from now, you'll literally have to drag him out of bed and you'd wish it was possible to teleport him directly from bed to school. :beamup:
At least Christian can sleep a little in the car on the way to school.

Ah ah ah! I know this is completely OT...sorry but I just wanted Muhler to know that today after dragging my 3 and 1 year old around all day and tiring them as much as possible I told my husband we were on a "Danish schedule" and by 8:10pm they were both sleeping...I needed some motivation to start reorganizing the day before preschool starts!

Kansasmama4: I was also very surprised at how composed the three of them were but I also think that they held up for those ten minutes of press conference and then they probably became just like any other parent: tears and camera ready!

It's not that far. It takes about 13 minutes to drive to Tranegaards School while Krebs School is only 7 minutes away from Amalienborg.
Maybe Frederik and Mary didn't want to be pressured to pick Christian up on a bicycle! At that distance, they'll need to drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom