Prince Christian's First Day of Nursery School: March 27, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for yhe beautiful photos.
Lovely pictures of happy family.

Lena said:
On Danishroyalwatchers they are talking about an "PET officer" as co-teacher for Christian. What is that? Is that some kind of bodyguard keeping distance to Christian, but protecting him...or is that some kind of extra nanny/teacher. The first thing I´d understand, the 2nd thing not so much :wacko:

Yeah, it is his body guard, but it is not a normal body guard, it is Secret Service (PET). :)

He's such a serious baby. So sturdy and mature for his age. I love the lilleprinsen.

Sweet lil boy, Hed make a cute match for Princess Louise of Wessex :)

Prince Christian is so adorable and huggable little prince. He has a very serious look on his face. Looking at the picture of prince Fredrix touching prince Christian's face. His little face expression as if he wants to ask “why are so many cameramen around dad?”

MissSaga said:
Cutest pic ever. What expressive beautiful blue eyes he has :wub: http://i11.tinypic.com/2yxn7te.jpg

In that pic the expression on his face reminds me of Mary. I think he looks a lot like his paternal side but that look on his face shown here, seems like a Mary type of look to me.

Great pics! And no crying! I didn't think he would cry. He's just too young to really understand what's going on. Maybe that's why starting him at nursery school was so important to his parents to kind of get some of the fanfare out of the way. I'm sure it will still be reported about when he actually starts school but maybe not in the same "public" way. We'll see.

Christian is so cute and grown up very fast.
He look more and more to his daddy, I agree with Aurora810 in this pic have the expressions of Mary and in other pics he have the expressions of Fred.

Christian is just a sweetie-pie. Aww. It is so funny- besides his Mama's eyes (the shape, size, and sparkle), he is all his daddy (or his daddy's parents)! In polfoto pic 07032727 (bottom row of the first page of Christian going to daycare), he is the splitting image of Henrik. And in the picture right before it, I can see so much Margrethe (I'm thinking of pics of her on the balcony).

I love to watch him, and his parents interacting with him- he seems like such a sweet toddler, and he just makes you want to pick him up and give him a hug!

I too agree that it was a good decision to have Christian attend day care. This way he can interact with children his own age and learn much needed social skills. Also, love Mary's outfit today, the top is great and paired with pair of jeans makes her look like just one of the other moms.

In my opinion this was not day one at nursery school!!!!He stayed there for only two hours, he wasn't left alone with his teachers and wiht other kids, he didn't sleep his siesta there, he didn't took his meals there!!!Yes it was day one but if their parents want him to stay there they should have left him, maybe after spending some time with him there but then they must say goodbye! Maybe he was left alone for an half a hour maybe but...

And today did he attend nursery school??I don't think so.

Last edited:
biboquinhas said:
In my opinion this was not day one at nursery school!!!!He stayed there for only two hours, he wasn't left alone with his teachers and wiht other kids, he didn't sleep his siesta there, he didn't took his meals there!!!Yes it was day one but if their parents want him to stay there they should have left him, maybe after spending some time with him there but then they must say goodbye! Maybe he was left alone for an half a hour maybe but...

And today did he attend nursery school??I don't think so.

Many many nurseries in the world are applying this system, for the chld's first day they ask parents to stay there, so the baby gets used to the places and other people's presence, while his parents are with him, and smoothly, day bay day parents reduce their presence and finally they stop going. Of course this is being applied for "lucky" parents who have the proffessionnal freedom to be so absent from their job. For average working people this is quite impossible...
But our Christian has this luck

So to me this was not his first day!The first day will be when he spends the day there and do the same things has other children! I'am not saying that it was not correct for the parents to stay there, but I think that after that they should go away and come back only to pick him up! I also stay for a while when I first left my son in the day care school, but then I left and two hours later I was there to pick him up, so he stayed for a while in the first days but he was used to stay with his teachers and not with me!It is more difficult for him to stay there now alone!

It is quite normal for parents of small kids who start at 'vuggestue' here in Denmark to spend a couple of hours the first day with your child there and then leave together; the next day or days the parent may then go to another room for an hour or two and gradually step up the hours the little child is away from its parents - how long this takes depend entirely on the child in question. I have 'started' three children in vuggestue in the same way.

UserDane said:
the next day or days the parent may then go to another room for an hour or two and gradually step up the hours the little child is away from its parents -
I guess this child is quite used already to be away from his parents for some hours a day. What's new is the fact that there are other children there to play with and that the whole attention is not focused on him but on the children as a group. My own son hated kindergarden (went there from age 2 1/2) but my nephew, who started at the same age not only loves it there but is cared for by a day care mother from 7.00 am to 6.00 pmwith the kindergarden time in-between and has no problem at all with this concept - he simply likes to be with other kids. So it depends on the kid - we'll see how Christian copes.

practical too, can you imagine the tabloids if he'd showed up with a prada backpack ;). he looks so much like henri to me i don't see anyone else, but he's the cutest little prince, i love the affection with his parents, sweet to see, i bet leaving him will be harder on them than him, mary looks near tears in a few photos i've seen, totally understandable.

I"ve read some of the previous posts about how this wasn't a traditional first day for Christian and all that. I think this was a day for the media in my personal opinion. This was a time that was purposely set-up for the media to get their pictures and film their videos. Nothing wrong with that! But just mentioning that Christian will ease into this nursery school once the cameras are gone. Also do we know how many days a week he will attend? I just find it curious that they chose to start him on a Tuesday. Also another reason for him to start on Tuseday would make it a little shorter week for him and that way next week he can start for real and without the media.

Last edited:
There is a video on Danish Royal Watchers where Mary is talking to the photographers (both in English and Danish) and she says that Christian will probably not go to nursery school every day but doesn't specify how many days a week he will attend.

She also hints that the main reason why they are sending Christian to nursery school is for him to be around other children his age.

DRW also mentions that the school he is going to does not offer lunch so he will always have to pack his lunch with him the days he attends.

Aurora810 said:
I"ve read some of the previous posts about how this wasn't a traditional first day for Christian and all that. I think this was a day for the media in my personal opinion. This was a time that was purposely set-up for the media to get their pictures and film their videos. Nothing wrong with that! But just mentioning that Christian will ease into this nursery school once the cameras are gone. Also do we know how many days a week he will attend? I just find it curious that they chose to start him on a Tuesday. Also another reason for him to start on Tuseday would make it a little shorter week for him and that way next week he can start for real and without the media.

ldt20 said:
DRW also mentions that the school he is going to does not offer lunch so he will always have to pack his lunch with him the days he attends.

If he even goes that long during the day. I can imagine he would go for only a half day, and be home for lunch. But he probably does need a snack most kids his age do.

first school day

please post first royal school days. i think we're going to have so many cute pictures with all the royal children

That's very uncommon not to offer lunch. Ussualy kids around his age eat lunch very son in the morning 11:30am and sleep his siesta after that around 13:00pm!Also is very strange that he will have to pack his meal, kids ussualy needs to eat soap, so I think they will not pack the soap every day for him!! It doesn't make any sense concerning we are talking about kids of around one year old!

biboquinhas said:
That's very uncommon not to offer lunch. Ussualy kids around his age eat lunch very son in the morning 11:30am and sleep his siesta after that around 13:00pm!Also is very strange that he will have to pack his meal, kids ussualy needs to eat soap, so I think they will not pack the soap every day for him!! It doesn't make any sense concerning we are talking about kids of around one year old!

The Danish system is apparently one of the best, so rest assured they know what they're doing. "Lunch" may not even mean a sandwich, but something more easily digestible, who knows.

Some kids have "naps" (siesta's are more of a Latin thing... means the same i suppose) at different times. I remember when I was in kindy, we had naps around 11am. But that's going back many years so I don't even know it if was 11! But I think it was 11 :wacko:

Look - all I can say is that different countries/regions/localities can have different customs, and from what I've read, what Christian is going through is fairly common in a public Danish pre-school (or whatever they call it in Denmark) - brining lunch to school etc. There's bound to be some differences with the Danish system, and the systems we are used to. Doesn't mean the Danish way is "uncommon"... because in Denmark, it is common.

Last edited:
biboquinhas said:

I hope you are meaning that children around his age should eat soup, not soap. I am thinking that his parents would rather he eat what he is used to and what they know he likes to eat.:flowers:

Yes sorry "soup", but has Jasl has said maybe in Denamark is different, in Portugal kids around one year old ussualy take their luch at 11:30 soup and fruit and them take a nap from 13:00 to 15:30 and then they have lunch (milk, or iogurte), so I think it is not so usual to take soup to school, but once again sorry because I wasn't thinking that maybe luch in Demark could not be soup and then other normal meal, but maybe a snack!

biboquinhas said:
Yes sorry "soup", but has Jasl has said maybe in Denamark is different, in Portugal kids around one year old ussualy take their luch at 11:30 soup and fruit and them take a nap from 13:00 to 15:30 and then they have lunch (milk, or iogurte), so I think it is not so usual to take soup to school, but once again sorry because I wasn't thinking that maybe luch in Demark could not be soup and then other normal meal, but maybe a snack!

Its very normal in Denmark that the kids eat "Rugbrød" a very dark type of bread with lots of nutrition in it. Very healthy indeed and one of Denmarks specialities in food.
In kindergarden they also eat fruit aroung 14-15 as a little refresher. cant see why soup should be more important than the dark bread we eat. Countries just have different traditions

biboquinhas said:

If Denmark is anything like Norway when it comes to pre-schools and nurseries, the lunch meal would consist of bread and coldcuts and cheese etc. (sandwiches). Though, often (at least in Norway) the kids will make something in the kitchen for all to enjoy (rolls, waffles, soup, pizza etc.), but not every day.

Also, in Scandinavia it has been (and still is) common to bring packed lunches (not only kids, but in work life too). I think it often depends on the economy of the nursery/pre-school/school whether or not they serve lunch. I guess it has something to do with the rythm of the day too, in continental Europe it's common to have longer lunch breaks (in Scandinavia 30-60 minutes depending on where it is), so we often haven't got time to go out buy something, sit down and enjoy it and get back to work in time. Also we usually eat dinner from 3 o'clock to 7 o'clock in the evening, while in continental Europe dinner is eaten quite late in the evening, around 10 o'clock. And the working life's rythm of day affects the kids in the pre-school, since most parents who have their kids in pre-school works.

Last edited:
KikkiB said:
If Denmark is anything like Norway when it comes to pre-schools and nurseries, the lunch meal would consist of bread and coldcuts and cheese etc. (sandwiches). Though, often (at least in Norway) the kids will make something in the kitchen for all to enjoy (rolls, waffles, soup, pizza etc.), but not every day.

Also, in Scandinavia it has been (and still is) common to bring packed lunches (not only kids, but in work life too). I think it often depends on the economy of the nursery/pre-school/school whether or not they serve lunch. I guess it has something to do with the rythm of the day too, in continental Europe it's common to have longer lunch breaks (in Scandinavia 30-60 minutes depending on where it is), so we often haven't got time to go out buy something, sit down and enjoy it and get back to work in time. Also we usually eat dinner from 3 o'clock to 7 o'clock in the evening, while in continental Europe dinner is eaten quite late in the evening, around 10 o'clock. And the working life's rythm of day affects the kids in the pre-school, since most parents who have their kids in pre-school works.

Yes Denmark and Norway are very similar at that point :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom