Prince Christian's confirmation: May 15, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Right, and JHJ writes that it probably wouldn't have been a problem for him to adapt the rules in this situation as well by scheduling work from home during the self-isolation. It depends on your priorities and Joachim didn't prioritise the confirmation but that's his own choice.

:previous: Right, and JHJ writes that it probably wouldn't have been a problem for him to adapt the rules in this situation as well by scheduling work from home during the self-isolation. It depends on your priorities.
Joachim might not have the possibility at the moment to isolate at home for the whole period necessary to be able to travel.

:previous: Right, and JHJ writes that it probably wouldn't have been a problem for him to adapt the rules in this situation as well by scheduling work from home during the self-isolation. It depends on your priorities and Joachim didn't prioritise the confirmation but that's his own choice.

How do you know he chose this?

To postpone it another time would point out more and more that the party was more important than the religious idea of conformation, which for a commoner might be acceptable but less for a future heir ;-)

To postpone it another time would point out more and more that the party was more important than the religious idea of conformation, which for a commoner might be acceptable but less for a future heir ;-)

I would say, that the postponements have more to do with hoping it would allow Christian's foreign godparents and family abroad to be able to attend the religious confirmation. Not about "the party".

Last edited:
I would guess, that the postponements have more to do with hoping it would allow Christian's foreign godparents to be able to attend the religious confirmation. Not about "the party".

I do not know, but tried to show a further problem with postponing it like some posters suggested not saying Christian goes only for the party, how could I am danish:D

How do you know he chose this?

Seems pretty logical to me. They've known the date long time in advance, Joachim mainly does desk work and Marie is a stay-at-home mum. If they'd considered the confirmation important enough, it shouldn't have be hard to work out a way to get through the self-isolation. But nevermind my own musings, that's what the article says and I was just relaying from that.

I do not know, but tried to show a further problem with postponing it like some posters suggested not saying Christian goes only for the party, how could I am danish:D

It's pretty evident the postponements have had everything to do with hoping it'd allow for the international family and friends – including, as @Nordic mentions, his godparents – to attend so the suggestion that anyone would think it's about the party doesn't make sense.

Seems pretty logical to me. They've known the date long time in advance, Joachim mainly does desk work and Marie is a stay-at-home mum. If they'd considered the confirmation important enough, it shouldn't have be hard to work out a way to get through the self-isolation. But nevermind my own musings, that's what the article says and I was just relaying from that.

It's pretty evident the postponements have had everything to do with hoping it'd allow for the international family and friends – including, as @Nordic mentions, his godparents – to attend so the suggestion that anyone would think it's about the party doesn't make sense.

Thank you for your response.
I am laughing because the irony is that postponing for the sake of more attendees means it's all about the party.
But never mind, I was not speculating this was Christians intention especially as he might have a say but is not to make final decision
and the pandemic still running for quite a while.

Well, he will deal with it as so many others have to, He is then a full member of church which can be seen as an important step, too.

All the best! Velsignelser for ham.

:previous: But it doesn't though :ermm: Getting confirmed is a big thing. Wanting your family and your godparents to be there to see it has just as much to do with the ceremony as it has with the following celebration.

And now for another angle on Christian's confirmation.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/kongehusek...s-christians-konfirmation-han-har-naeppe-haft

The historian Michael Bregnsbro says that Christian hardly has had any say in regards to his confirmation, let alone whether he wanted to be confirmed at all.
Being a future king and head of the state church he has to be confirmed. And that means that certain things regarding his celebration and the guests are determined in advance.
- Well, no surprise there.

His siblings will, at least on paper, have a more free hand in regards to whether they want to be celebrated. In reality IMO certainly Isabella will have no choice either. She is the spare and must be expected to stand in for Christian from time to time - and in the case of a major tragedy...

But there are some things about the confirmation, historically, that was new to me.
It was normal up to 1960 or so to leave school after 7th grade and that was also the same time you were confirmed.
The popular remarks in DK that you by having been confirmed now enter the ranks of the adults was to a large extent true. At least around 100 years ago.

You were examined at your confirmation back then, about the Christian faith and you could actually fail the examination.
If you failed, you couldn't become an apprentice, you couldn't sign legal documents, you couldn't become a soldier, you couldn't get married, you couldn't take an oath. (*)
That didn't mean you had full legal rights though. You still couldn't vote until you were older, if were you were eligible to vote at all. That depended on when you were confirmed in regards to the changes in the Constitution. It was only after the change of the Constitution in 1915 that for example women and domestic servants were allowed to vote.

(*) A Danish oath is based on "faith and law" I.e. I pledge on faith and law that...
So if you weren't a part of the State Church or any other religious community, you couldn't pledge on your faith.

Fascinating history.

Being a future king and head of the state church he has to be confirmed. And that means that certain things regarding his celebration and the guests are determined in advance.

Well, but this "he has to be confirmed" does no mean, he has to be a Christian, the Christian, right?

I mean, Crown Prince Frederick, as I think to have been reading here in the Forums, has for example his polite difficulties with the church rite and leaves on a regular basis before the end of the church service.

Well, but this "he has to be confirmed" does no mean, he has to be a Christian, the Christian, right?

I mean, Crown Prince Frederick, as I think to have been reading here in the Forums, has for example his polite difficulties with the church rite and leaves on a regular basis before the end of the church service.

Yes, that was based on an interview Frederik gave in the early 90's IIRC. Where he among other things expressed his doubts about becoming king. But also very much his uncertainty about his life in general. - Which of course suggests that he is a ponderer.
In that interview he also expressed a doubt as the whether there is a god and whether things really are just as it is taught by the church.
- While most people could easily relate to his thoughts there were some in the State Church who said that surely he cannot be head of the State Church if he doesn't believe in God.

I think it's safe to say that today Frederik does believe in God, or at least an omnipotent deity/Creator. But in his own way, with his own interpretation.
That I think is in line with most Danes who are religious (Lutherans). I.e. what the church teach is an interpretation that may not line up with your own interpretation or experience with God and your faith.
Frederik has found his interpretation and I think he is at peace with that.

But mind you, religion is considered a very private matter in DK. In some countries and cultures there are constant referring to God, which is here seen as presumptuous, hypocritical and even arrogant. - It's considered presumptuous and arrogant to claim that you know what God want and that God is on your side. And it's considered hypocritical to constantly flaunt your religion. Calling upon God to help you or your cause in public is also very frowned upon. As if God hasn't got better things to do.
All this is to explain why we actually know very little about the DRF-member's personal faith.

Frederik and Christian are both destined to become head of the State Church, which of course means that they have to be members of the State Church and preferably also believe in the whole thing. Hence why the Confirmation is important, and why Christian in this case really has no say. He is to be confirmed, period.

I am sincerely sorry that such a big event as the confirmation of a heir to the throne and a great way of focusing on Prince Christian has ended up having to be so toned down. Most of all that Prince Christian's grandfather and Susan can’t attend, the same with Mary's entire family in Australia and the rest of family, friends and all of Prince Christian's godparents abroad. But after postponing the confirmation twice I understand if Christian would like the confirmation completed now. I hope Prince Christian gets a really fine and lovely confirmation tomorrow with 25 close guests, which means a more intimate and cozy confirmation. I look much forward to follow the event tomorrow even though it will be from the sickbed and thus as a not so active member in here.

I understand there will be no TV-coverage of the confirmation tomorrow. But check Billed Bladet and BT, they may have some sort of live coverage from outside Fredensborg.

Frederik and Christian are both destined to become head of the State Church, which of course means that they have to be members of the State Church and preferably also believe in the whole thing. Hence why the Confirmation is important, and why Christian in this case really has no say. He is to be confirmed, period.

Is there any talk of doing away with the idea of a State Church? It seems the Lutherans stick to State Churches while the Calvinists didn't. Meaning that when king Willem-Alexander confessed his faith, it was not at the expected age of 18 but 10 years later when he decided that he indeed wanted to do so.

We don't know whether his brothers did or did not confess their faith.

Is there any talk of doing away with the idea of a State Church? It seems the Lutherans stick to State Churches while the Calvinists didn't. Meaning that when king Willem-Alexander confessed his faith, it was not at the expected age of 18 but 10 years later when he decided that he indeed wanted to do so.

We don't know whether his brothers did or did not confess their faith.

There has been some talk. But not nearly to the same extent as in Sweden and Norway. In Norway the monarch is no longer also head of the State Church. Not sure off hand how it is in Sweden.

I think one of the reasons is that in comparison to Norway, much fewer Danes identify themselves as Christians and let alone feel they have a particular affiliation with the State Church. I think it is much more common in DK to have personal interpretation of Christianity, where the State Church is not that necessary and as such who leads it, is really not that important either.
Those who don't care or are atheists have simply signed out of the State Church.

Another reason is that the current system works fine, so why fix what ain't broken?

A third reason is probably comparable to why the Danish monarchs still have a very specific Constitutional role, (Laws must be signed in order to be valid. All power comes from the Majesty and so on.) is that most people actually like the idea of the politicians having to be accountable to someone, that there is someone above them, even if it's mostly in theory.
Instead of QMII we would have the Minister of Church as head of the State Church. I can't even remember the name or the face, or gender of that minister!

A fourth reason is that there is little political will to change the system. And even less public will. Not to mention that it will a huge trouble! Because it will require a change of the Constitution.

While an overhaul of the Constitution might be needed, it really doesn't matter that much. Because in most cases the Constitution de facto says that X, Y, Z is definite - unless another law says something else...
The Constitution is for most practical purposes not particular rigid.

So Frederik will in all likelihood become head of the State Church. Whether things will change before Christian sits on the throne is an open question, but it's far from certain, and not something that the DRF can plan for by not having Christian confirmed.

There has been some talk. But not nearly to the same extent as in Sweden and Norway. In Norway the monarch is no longer also head of the State Church. Not sure off hand how it is in Sweden.

I think one of the reasons is that in comparison to Norway, much fewer Danes identify themselves as Christians and let alone feel they have a particular affiliation with the State Church. I think it is much more common in DK to have personal interpretation of Christianity, where the State Church is not that necessary and as such who leads it, is really not that important either.
Those who don't care or are atheists have simply signed out of the State Church.

Another reason is that the current system works fine, so why fix what ain't broken?

A third reason is probably comparable to why the Danish monarchs still have a very specific Constitutional role, (Laws must be signed in order to be valid. All power comes from the Majesty and so on.) is that most people actually like the idea of the politicians having to be accountable to someone, that there is someone above them, even if it's mostly in theory.
Instead of QMII we would have the Minister of Church as head of the State Church. I can't even remember the name or the face, or gender of that minister!

A fourth reason is that there is little political will to change the system. And even less public will. Not to mention that it will a huge trouble! Because it will require a change of the Constitution.

While an overhaul of the Constitution might be needed, it really doesn't matter that much. Because in most cases the Constitution de facto says that X, Y, Z is definite - unless another law says something else...
The Constitution is for most practical purposes not particular rigid.

So Frederik will in all likelihood become head of the State Church. Whether things will change before Christian sits on the throne is an open question, but it's far from certain, and not something that the DRF can plan for by not having Christian confirmed.

Thanks for your explanation!

If there is no longer a state church, I don't see why a government (i.e., state) minister would be head of a non-state church... My suggestion wasn't about removing the monarch as head of the state church but doing away with the Lutheran church as the state church altogether.

However, I do see the issue with the Constitution if that would have to be changed. This doesn't seem important enough to drive a change of the Constitution but could probably be tagged on at one point if it is considered better to separate church and state.

Ah, I see.

Well, that would also call for a change of the Constitution. Because the Constitution says very clearly that Denmark is a Christian country, adhering to the Lutheran faith. I.e. the State Church.

And then we are back to square one. Those who care are members of the State Church and they are unlikely to abolish the State Church.
And those who are not members of the State Church, don't pay church-tax, so it really doesn't matter to us.
So it's only a small minority who, mainly for principle, wish to abolish the concept of a State Church.
It certainly ain't something that's gonna sell and get people off the couches and off to the ballot boxes!

I do however disagree with you on one thing: There will be a minister for religious affairs even after the State Church was abolished.
The current Church Minister also oversee the affairs other religions.

Last edited:
Ah, I see.

Well, that would also call for a change of the Constitution. Because the Constitution says very clearly that Denmark is a Christian country, adhering to the Lutheran faith. I.e. the State Church.

I'd say that is a much larger change than just removing the Lutheran Church as the State Church. Although I would think that theoretically it is possible to define yourself as a Christian country without having a State Church.

But if I understand it correctly, in practice, there is very little practical significance of Denmark being a Christian country? Or do(es) Christianity/Christians receive a preferential treatment over other religions/believers?

And then we are back to square one. Those who care are members of the State Church and they are unlikely to abolish the State Church.
And those who are not members of the State Church, don't pay church-tax, so it really doesn't matter to us.
So it's only a small minority who, mainly for principle, wish to abolish the concept of a State Church.
It certainly ain't something that's gonna sell and get people off the couches and off to the ballot boxes!

I do however disagree with you on one thing: There will be a minister for religious affairs even after the State Church was abolished.
The current Church Minister also oversee the affairs other religions.
We weren't discussing that issue, so I am not sure how you could disagree with a position I never expressed :flowers: I only stated that there would not be a minister who would be the Head of the Church in this scenario. I did not say anything about whether there would be a minister for religious affairs or not (personally, I don't see a need for it, as many countries do without but if Denmark wishes to have one, why not?).

Last edited:
If there is no longer a state church, I don't see why a government (i.e., state) minister would be head of a non-state church...

It is as well a tradition founded by Luther himself. While he preached at one point, that everybody should be one's own preacher... the quarrels of the times made it necessary to protect the new church.

And then he declared the Princes as "emergency bishops" and protectors. That is, how the state churches developed later on. (A provisional institution became, what the lutheranian churches in some countries are today - a wordly power thingy. Imho...)

I'd say that is a much larger change than just removing the Lutheran Church as the State Church. Although I would think that theoretically it is possible to define yourself as a Christian country without having a State Church.

But if I understand it correctly, in practice, there is very little practical significance of Denmark being a Christian country? Or do(es) Christianity/Christians receive a preferential treatment over other religions/believers?

We weren't discussing that issue, so I am not sure how you could disagree with a position I never expressed :flowers: I only stated that there would not be a minister who would be the Head of the Church in this scenario. I did not say anything about whether there would be a minister for religious affairs or not (personally, I don't see a need for it, as many countries do without but if Denmark wishes to have one, why not?).

Apart from a pretty generous funding from the state, not really I'd say.
The state is not obliged to fund building of non-State Church shrines.
And Lutheran holidays also being national holidays.
But it is really something our resident theologian Benedikte can answer better than me.

I interpreted from your reply that you believed there would no need for a Minister of Church if there was no State Church, hence my reply.
There will be a need for an administrator to handle funding, permits, regulations, checks, vetting and what not. The easiest would be to do what is being done today, having a ministry dedicated to that.

On another note:

BB will send live from Fredensborg tomorrow.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/saadan-foelger-du-med-i-prins-christians-konfirmation

Further details and link to be added.
You should be able to watch it outside DK.
Whether there will be that much to see is another matter though.

Suggest you keep an eye under "Video".

Last edited by a moderator:
More information and pictures on the church where Christian's confirmation will take place.
https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/fredensborg-slotskirke-0
(..)
Up until his confirmation, which takes place today at 11.00, His Royal Highness Prince Christian has participated in confirmation preparation. ⁣ ⁣ The actual preparation has, among other things, consisted of conversations with the royal confessor, Bishop Henrik Wigh-Poulsen. The picture in this post is from one of these conversations in Frederik VIII's Palace at Amalienborg. In addition, Prince Christian has followed confirmation preparation together with his class at Tranegårdskolen in Gentofte.⁣ ⁣
Confirmation is the ecclesiastical act in which God confirms the promise made at baptism and the confirmand receives a blessing at the same time. Prince Christian was baptized on Saturday 21 January 2006 in Christiansborg Castle Church. The prince was held by his mother, Her Royal Highness the Crown Princess, and was named Christian Valdemar Henri John. The last time Christiansborg Castle Church formed the framework for a similar event was at Christian 10.'s baptism in 1870. In addition to being baptized in the same church, Prince Christian was also baptized in the same baptismal gown, which in its time was sewn to Christian 10. - Prince Christian's great-grandfather.⁣

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO4cv_sgrII/

What a handsome and well dressed confirmand Prince Christian is!
Lovely family, they all 7 looks so beautiful today. Lovely to see all the local greeted Prince Christian and family.

Now the private church service...

---------------

Benedikte is not present.
She is in DK, but she will not be present for the confirmation.
No explanation as to why.
To keep the number of guests down?

Don't think so. They are AFAIK far from exceeding the limit of private gatherings.

He sure has become tall! He's towering over his parents.

And Isabella has become a young lady now. She seemed slightly uncomfortable to me though. Hope she hasn't become too self-conscious about her appearance. They are vulnerable at that age.
EDIT: I take that one back. In further footage she looks fine. Perhaps the cobblestones combines with high heels?

I noticed that Josephine, being a little ham, liked the attention. :lol:

A running commentary from BT:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/live-foelg-prins-christians-konfirmation-fra-fredensborg-slot

Check regularly for updates, photos and videos.

---------------

Benedikte is not present.
She is in DK, but she will not be present for the confirmation.
No explanation as to why.

------------

Are you able to watch this short video from TV2?
https://nyheder.tv2.dk/2021-05-15-lige-nu

Scroll down to 11:07

--------------

Gallery from BB, will probably be updated:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...ne-fra-prins-christians-konfirmation#134468-6

-------------

I noticed the Reedtz-Thotts were among the guests.

The CP family walked from Kancellihuset, past the onlookers and press at the entrance of the palace complex, through the courtyard towards QMII standing in the door of the main entrance.

Nikolai and Felix arrived some time before and were met by QMII.

Yes, why not. Perhaps for the two friends of Christian who attend.

Added and quoting Billed Bladet:

"It seems that Prince Christian was very much involved in deciding who he would include as guests for his confirmation on Saturday morning.

there was a larger group of young happy people among the 25 guests that the Crown Prince's family had invited to the prince's confirmation in Fredensborg Castle Church. "

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom