Portraits of Crown Princess Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
As far as I understand it, it will be exhibited there until April - but I didn't quite catch what was going to happen to it after that? The logical thing would have it either sent to Denmark, or hung at the Danish embassy in Australia.

norwegianne said:
As far as I understand it, it will be exhibited there until April - but I didn't quite catch what was going to happen to it after that? The logical thing would have it either sent to Denmark, or hung at the Danish embassy in Australia.

oh, in that case that would be perfect. let's hope it goes back to denmark. :rolleyes:

by the way, the blue dress mary chose to pose was just beautiful. hope she uses it another time.

Gorgeous blue dress on that portrait, I too hope that she will wear it sometime. But I must say that my expectations on the portait were set higher than what I now see is the outcome - it's not that it's bad or anything, but it's just not as beautiful and regal as I had expected (something about the painting, the artist's way).

carlota said:
oh, in that case that would be perfect. let's hope it goes back to denmark. :rolleyes:

by the way, the blue dress mary chose to pose was just beautiful. hope she uses it another time.
She did use it for one of the gala dinners during the Australian visit.

So the portrait will eventually "live" in Denmark or is it just visiting there in April?

Caroline Mathilda

WOW! Crown Princess Mary looked so beautiful !!!!!!!!!
clap.gif

Mary's eyes are just amazing !!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

I like Mary's painting........Mary looked very alive and it is a wonderful protrait !!!!!

Credit regal_eagle at CPMEMB for the above photo!

Link : http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200510/s1477454.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a picture from B.T., showing how the painting looks while hung up on the wall at the gallery. It will travel to Denmark for a short visit in April, but after that, the portrait painting of Crown Princess Mary will hang at the National Portrait Gallery in Canberra.

Attachments

• Mary.jpg
    Mary.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 724
Nice painting! She looks very regal

I like the painting, and I'm glad it’s going to stay in Australia, after all by my recollection it was painted by an Australian artist, so it sounds as if it was always meant to be displayed in Australia.

And yes while Mary is a Danish princess Australians love it when Australians achieve something overseas, even if it is just marrying someone. It’s my belief that Mary is the first Australian to marry into any royal family, let along married to the crown prince (although there was the story about that lady going around). Meaning that their eldest will be the first King or Queen with Australian blood (al least that’s what the news people said when they found out she was pregnant). So I think it makes sense for the first Australian Princess to have a portrait in an Australian gallery. I'm sure would of got one eventually, it just happened sooner rather than later.

I suppose nothing much is going to happen now until she gives birth. Just a question of my curiosity though, I heard on through our media once she got married she would automatically become ambassador(?) of several (I hear over 25-confirm/deny?) organisations could anyone elaborate on what those where and what they do?

I really don't like the painting, Mary doesn't look good.....

I like the painting. It is classical and bear the likeness of the subject who showed much elegance, regal and poise . The painting also showed cultural symbols of her new home and her native homeland. I think it is a beautiful portrait.

Harmony said:
I like the painting. It is classical and bear the likeness of the subject who showed much elegance, regal and poise . The painting also showed cultural symbols of her new home and her native homeland. I think it is a beautiful portrait.

I think it's a beautiful portrait of Mary, too. It's very classical and timeless and regal. I think the artist did a good job in representing Mary.

Does anyone know when Mary posed for this portrait and how long it was in the works?

Alexandria said:
Does anyone know when Mary posed for this portrait and how long it was in the works?

Mary sat for the portrait back in March (March 1, to be exact) during the couple's trip to Australia. By calculation, the portrait was in the works for about 7 months.

justi [color=black said:
It’s my belief that Mary is the first Australian to marry into any royal family, let along married to the crown prince [/color]

Actually, Mary isnt the first. There is Queen Susan of Albania who was Australian.

Last edited:
Mary is splendid in her portrait and she deserves this honour!

Australian said:
Actually, Mary isnt the first. There is Queen Susan of Albania who was Australian.

Susan Barbara Cullen-Ward was the wife of Crown Prince Leka of Albania. Susan was known as Queen Susan by Albanian Monarchists although her husband never reigned as Monarch (she was infact the Crown Princess).

She was from Waverly, Sydney, New South Wales and before she met Leka was a school teacher in the rural Australian city of Orange.

The Crown Princess died of lung cancer on the 17 July 2004 in Tirana, Albania.

They have one son, Leka Anwar Zog Reza Baudouin Msiziwe (Prince Pretender to the throne of Albania).

The portrait of Her Royal Highness is stunning. It really does capture Marys physical appearance and exudes poise, beauty & grace. I hope to visit it soon (all going well).

The translucency of the skin is remarkable.

"MII"

Last edited:
I just love that painting. It is so gorgeous. Anyone know when and where it will be displayed in Melbourne?

Aussie Princess said:
I just love that painting. It is so gorgeous. Anyone know when and where it will be displayed in Melbourne?

Aussie Princess,

As a fellow Melbournian (I take it you are from Melbourne also), I have not heard when or if the painting shall be coming to Melbourne. As far as I knew it was staying in Canberra until it is due to be taken to Copenhagen next year.

"MII"

static.jpg

Portrait of HRH Crown Princess Mary of Denmark
The National Portrait Gallery is pleased to announce the unveiling of its newest commission, a portrait of HRH Crown Princess Mary of Denmark.

The portrait has been painted by the Sydney-based artist Jiawei Shen. The Princess sat for Mr Shen in March this year during her visit to Australia. The full-length portrait depicts the Princess in a long blue dress with pale blue sash and Order of the Elephant. The background includes references to the Amalienborg Palace in Copenhagen and to Danish architect Jørn Utzon’s Sydney Opera House, which could be seen from the window of the Sydney hotel in which the portrait sitting took place.

The commission is part of the National Portrait Gallery’s on-going program of portrait commissions. It has been made possible by the generosity of one of the Gallery’s benefactors Mrs Mary Isabel Murphy.
"We are thrilled to have the portrait of Princess Mary in our permanent collection; a portrait that so gracefully fuses Danish and Australian cultural iconography" Andrew Sayers Director, National Portrait Gallery, Canberra

After its unveiling the portrait will remain on display at the National Portrait Gallery. In April 2006 it will be part of an exhibition of portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, Canberra to be shown at the Danish Museum of National History in Frederiksborg in Denmark.

http://www.portrait.gov.au/content/menu.htm

Credit onlylucky at CPMEMB for the above photo, information and the link

Last edited:
Re:

It's a beautiful portrait! I can see it becoming a national treasure - just like Mary herself!

Alexandria said:
Does anyone know when Mary posed for this portrait?

Hello Alexandria,

Her Royal Highness the Crown Princess sat/stood ;) for the portrait in the Crown Princely apartment at the Sangri La hotel in Sydney on the first leg of their first Australian Tour.

The artist, Mr Jiawei Shen also took photographs of the Crown Princess after the official three hour session, so that he would still have something to go by and instruct him during the portraits development.

"MII"

Beautiful portrait. Crown Princess Mary looks wonderful and regal.

BeatrixFan said:
It's a beautiful portrait! I can see it becoming a national treasure - just like Mary herself!

My thoughts exactly. It is indeed a beautiful portrait of Mary.

honestly, the portrait is ok.it looks like her. but I think it looks like it could have been made by a highschool student.

its not great art in any sense.

Re;

Awww. I just love Royal Portraits. I think she should have been wearing a tiara but apart from that - I've got no criticism. It could be worse - Rolf Harris could have taken a break from painting QE2 and moved on to paint Mary instead! What a mess that would have been!

pollyemma said:
honestly, the portrait is ok.it looks like her. but I think it looks like it could have been made by a highschool student.

its not great art in any sense.

With due respect pollyemma,

Can I assume from your post that you are infact in a position to state whether or not it is great art? (I am not wishing to question your personal opinion).

And I have to say that I was a little ataken back by the fact you said it looks like it has been painted by a highschool student. Its artist, Mr Jiawei Shen was an official & most destinguished portrait painter for the Chinese Communist Government before migrating to Australia. This indavidual is a most brilliant & skilled painter who has been officially recognised for his works, and to retort that it looks like it were produced by a highschool student, is most definitly an insult to Mr Shen.

Beatrixfan,

At first (before the portrait was unveiled) I too thought that a parure would have been wonderful. But after seeing the finished product I must say that its better without one. The gown (personally, not one of my favourites) is quite busy around the midriff and with the most Noble Order of the Elephant sash, star and family order I (personally) feel that any jewels (apart from Her Royal Highness' earings & blue topaz ring) would have over exagerated the piece greatly.

I do however think that the portrait that is either being or has been commissioned in Denmark, shall most probably have the Queen Desiree parure or Wedding tiara. It would be amazing if the Crown Princess was painted in her blood red, off the shoulder evening gown from the Canberra Sate dinner with the Desiree parure.

That combination would be awe inspiring.

Kind regards to you both,

"MII"

Last edited:
Re:

I agree Margrethe II. The red would have been wonderful but the official portrait photograph of the Princess shoes her pictured in the red so maybe they avoided a painted reproduction of a photograph?

I like the blue and I can see that with a tiara etc it could look quite busy. I think it's wonderful and she looks every inch the Crown Princess and future Queen.

Margrethe II said:
With due respect pollyemma,

Can I assume from your post that you are infact in a position to state whether or not it is great art? (I am not wishing to question your personal opinion).

And I have to say that I was a little ataken back by the fact you said it looks like it has been painted by a highschool student. Its artist, Mr Jiawei Shen was an official & most destinguished portrait painter for the Chinese Communist Government before migrating to Australia. This indavidual is a most brilliant & skilled painter who has been officially recognised for his works, and to retort that it looks like it were produced by a highschool student, is most definitly an insult to Mr Shen.

i agree it is an insult. I intended my comment be interpreted as such.

I'm you can agree with me that there are many artists (painters/sculptors/actors/singers) who are seriously overrated. In my opinion, mr. Shen is one of them.

I do acknowledge that the picture is a life like depiction of mary which is great.

but if you compare this painting to the works of Nelson Shanks (to name just one currently living portrait painter and not going into the legions of excellent deceased ones) it is a pedestrian effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom