Pictures of Mary before her Marriage

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helen88

Nobility
City
Bremen
Country
Germany
Hey,

I'm inspired by a thread in the Swedish forum ;)

Does anyone have pictures of Mary before her marriage and before she met Fred? I only know the picture when she was baby in her mother's arms.
Are there any pictures of her during her time at university?

Thanks in advance!

I would love to see photos of Mary before Fred. I don't recall ever seeing any, but there must be some out there. Does anyone have any?

Actually, there are quite a lot of her. Some from her childhood, teen years and others pre move to France.

Hey,

I'm inspired by a thread in the Swedish forum ;)

Does anyone have pictures of Mary before her marriage and before she met Fred? I only know the picture when she was baby in her mother's arms.
Are there any pictures of her during her time at university?

Thanks in advance!

Check out the threads before Fred and Mary were married. They will be in the first last few pages of this forum and will say "Fred and Mary Donaldson (date)." Lots of pre-wedding photos to be found. :flowers:

As BB noted there are many topics regarding Mary prior to her marriage which includes many links to photos, articles and so forth. Give me a minute and I will link all the known threads, including those of her with Frederik, for you just in case you cannot find them.:)

[URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/mary-donaldson-current-events-september-2002-december-2002-a-15985.html"]Mary Donaldson: Sept 2002-Dec. 2002

[URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/mary-donaldson-current-events-january-2003-december-2003-a-15986.html"]Mary Donaldson: January 2003-December 2003

[URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/mary-donaldson-current-events-january-2004-may-2004-a-15988.html"]Mary Donaldson: January 2004-May 2004

[URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/frederik-mary-current-events-september-2002-september-2003-a-491.html"]Mary and Frederik: Sept. 2002-Sept. 2003

[URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/frederik-mary-news-september-2003-december-2003-a-844.html"]Mary and Frederik News: Sept. 2003-Dec. 2003

[URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/frederik-mary-news-december-2003-may-2004-a-1505.html"]Mary and Frederik: Dec. 2003-May 2004[/URL]

[URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/mary-picture-thread-part-1-a-4349.html?highlight=Mary+Donaldson+Picture+thread]Mary Donaldson Picture Thread[/url]"][URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/mary-picture-thread-part-1-a-4349.html?highlight=Mary+Donaldson+Picture+thread"]Mary Donaldson Picture Thread
[/URL]

[URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/interview-crownprincess-mary-2474.html"]An Interview with Mary[/URL]

Mary and Frederik at her Sister's Wedding in 2003[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics everyone, she looked very nice even before her days as princess. She is just obviously a beautiful woman before and after.

Why is it so hard for some of you to accept that Mary was quite an average gal, or even a plain Jane in her "pre Freddie days" Quite honestly it gives me a smile to see her having a bad hair day, or not so model looking, she is normal!

I think the thread should be called: "Pictures of Mary before meeting Fred", as the transformation started to take place the minute they met. There is a difference between this:

[URL="http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/kategt2/Crown%20Prince%20Frederik%20and%20Crown%20Princess%20Mary/fea88361.jpg"]Mary at the airport from Sydeny. [URL="http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/kategt2/Crown%20Prince%20Frederik%20and%20Crown%20Princess%20Mary/mary-8b.jpg"]Mary's Dad, John, picking her up[/URL][/URL]

[URL="http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/kategt2/Crown%20Prince%20Frederik%20and%20Crown%20Princess%20Mary/Mhrh.jpg"]On her way to another christianing[/URL]
Which is after she met Fred and/or was seriously dating him,

To this:
[URL="http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n38/GRUFKIN/marygrad2.jpg"]University[/URL]
Before she even saw the CPrince in her dreams:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it so hard for some of you to accept that Mary was quite an average gal, or even a plain Jane in her "pre Freddie days" Quite honestly it gives me a smile to see her having a bad hair day, or not so model looking, she is normal!

It's not hard for me to accept. It's inspirational to me! I think Mary's transformation is great. She obviously worked hard to get her skin, physique, etc in check, and I applaud her.

I think the main different between them is 5 or 6 years, a young student graduating university in Tasmania and a young woman working and living in a big city, well there are going to be many differences. Look at your own graduation photographs and look at some taken a few years later and you will see a drastic transformation in yourself also. The way people talk you would swear Mary was 200lb before she met Frederick. All she has done is tone up, she hasn’t had any drastic surgeries, she is a beautiful young woman who now has the advantage of having stylists and make-up/hair stylists to help her daily and she is obviously very disciplined as she has managed to maintain her beautiful figure over the years.

I think the main different between them is 5 or 6 years, a young student graduating university in Tasmania and a young woman working and living in a big city, well there are going to be many differences. Look at your own graduation photographs and look at some taken a few years later and you will see a drastic transformation in yourself also. The way people talk you would swear Mary was 200lb before she met Frederick. All she has done is tone up, she hasn’t had any drastic surgeries, she is a beautiful young woman who now has the advantage of having stylists and make-up/hair stylists to help her daily and she is obviously very disciplined as she has managed to maintain her beautiful figure over the years.

Hear hear. She has access to the best so it makes sense that she would look her best. :flowers:

I am very sorry the Danish Royals did not capitalize on Mary's natural looks and emphasize her out-doors and sporty looks. The made up looks of today is neither flattering nor natural looking on her. I believe the real Mary would have been much more accepted by the Danes in the way Alexandra was and still is. They could have taken a clue from Maxima that has managed to become "royalized" while still being Maxima.

Well to me Mary is still natural and sporty. There are so many photos of her looking like that as a royal. But at public appearances she dresses for the job. I really don't think any of her early photos are unflattering. Photographers catch you off guard. But she still looked nice, slim, pretty, fun, young. etc. Much better than a lot of people walking around. Yes, she became more refined as she got older. But I don't think it is always because she is royal or she changed. If she didn't change I would think there was something wrong. As you grow and mature you change: everything. If you don't, your almost stuck. Everything Mary has now as a person and in terms of looks she always had. But now she just has better tools. Do I think she would have acheived this w/o Fred. Yes, to some extent. But Denmark is not Australia. Royalty is not advertising etc. So yes, she would have continued to improve and be an amazing woman. But without the Prada skirt. However, if you can have the prada skirt, I say to anyone You go Girl!!! And can I have it when your done?

Besides there are still more photos than what is here of her out there in her early days. And if some are a bit unflattering so what. It's not like she was dancing on a table or something. She was having fun with friends or eating popcorn at a movie. And whose parents do not have an unflattering photo of them in their photo album!! I know mine did, until I sneeked in and ripped them up.

Last edited:
I am very sorry the Danish Royals did not capitalize on Mary's natural looks and emphasize her out-doors and sporty looks. The made up looks of today is neither flattering nor natural looking on her. I believe the real Mary would have been much more accepted by the Danes in the way Alexandra was and still is. They could have taken a clue from Maxima that has managed to become "royalized" while still being Maxima.
The only difference that I can see in Mary physical appearance now as opposed to before she married is that she has toned up. This is something that she may of done anyway as the opinions society has about weight have changed dramatically in the last few years. As for being ‘made-up’, I think that she actually tends to lean towards a more toned down lest-is-more style of make-up than she did before her marriage and in regards to the clothes she wears – the only time she is dressed-up is when she is on official engagements, at work if you like, just like most people has a specific style and type of work clothes. Any photographs that have been taken of her out and about with Christian etc she is always dressed casually and comfortably. In regards to being “much more accepted by the Danes” – Mary is very much accepted by her country and while obliviously not every Dane will love her a great majority do, as is the case with Alexandra I believe.

I don't really find any of the pre-engagement photos to be that unflattering. As stated in an earlier post, the photographers managed to snap her going about her day-to-day activities. IMO, the only ones that are out of the ordinary are the Starmakers photos. Otherwise, I don't see any that look too different than Princesses Maxima, Mette-Marit etc...prior to their engagements.

I don't really find any of the pre-engagement photos to be that unflattering. As stated in an earlier post, the photographers managed to snap her going about her day-to-day activities. IMO, the only ones that are out of the ordinary are the Starmakers photos. Otherwise, I don't see any that look too different than Princesses Maxima, Mette-Marit etc...prior to their engagements.

I agree with you TLLK. The Starmakers photos are terrible. The lighting is poor, she is posed in strange positions, and her clothing is very unflattering. I think that this is the reason for the unflattering appearance in these photos. When comparing them to the other photos taken before her engagement, they are really different. The other photos are not that bad. She looks natural and pretty.

She even managed a decent driver's license photo which based upon my personal experience doesn't happen all the time.

The starmakers' pictures were taken shortly after she met Fred, looked less flattering than the graduation picture, which is actually very nice, so much for your so-called a big city life has made differences :lol:. Her nose looked different in her early year pictures.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n38/GRUFKIN/marygrad2.jpg
http://maryletizia.web-log.nl/photos/uncategorized/004met_vrienden.jpg

I think the thread should be called: "Pictures of Mary before meeting Fred", as the transformation started to take place the minute they met.

Isn't there always a man at the beginning of the transformation? :flowers:

I agree about the nose! It looks so different.

Actually, that is not true... at least for me. It's nice to see photos of Mary when she's not all dolled up. In fact, I prefer to see photos of her in a more natural and relaxed state rather than viewing images of her time after time with a lot of make-up on, pretty gowns, jewels, and so forth.

As for the unflattering images, well, that's natural hence it happens. Nonetheless, when there is a certain group of people whose sole intent is to find and post the worst photos of someone time after time, then, yes, it does get old. Furthermore, it's obvious what they are desperately trying to achieve.

Second, photographers are desperate to get a shot of someone in a bad light. For example, if one were looking up, readers would translate that as "rolling their eyes". Once the shot is captured, the photo agency or photographer will store it in their archives and use later to fit another story. As a result, certain individuals feed off of those shots and use them to support their negative claims and to support their perspectives. I’m not saying that members should only link perfect and beautiful shots of Mary. Rather, I would like to see members link well-rounded images, and not solely concentrate on flattering or unflattering photos of her. Or, constantly make negative or gushing posts. Essentially, one does get tired of the predictability of negative postings, in regards to Mary, and of constant gushing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The starmakers' pictures were taken shortly after she met Fred, looked less flattering than the graduation picture, which is actually very nice, so much for your so-called a big city life has made differences :lol:. Her nose looked different in her early year pictures.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n38/GRUFKIN/marygrad2.jpg
http://maryletizia.web-log.nl/photos/uncategorized/004met_vrienden.jpg
My post was in response to someone saying there was a difference in Mary in her graduation photograph and the ones they posted of her when she was older, which of course there is as we all change as we get older and become more of our own person, if you had read my post properly instead glancing at it while rushing off to post your mocking response you would of seen that. However I must ask what is so bad about the starmarkers photographs; besides the fact the photographer is clearly useless. Anyone one with the slightest clue about photography would know that the lighting in the full length shoots would not work, but the other one is not bad. Her nose looks the same to me, it still tips up at the end, and I think her face is fuller in the photograph that is about the only difference.

Mary ,even before meeting Frederick, was an attracive woman. She lost some weight, but her transformation was not that shocking like some believed. I liked her picture as a teen (in that blue dress) she had sweet smile.

My post was in response to someone saying there was a difference in Mary in her graduation photograph and the ones they posted of her when she was older, which of course there is as we all change as we get older and become more of our own person, if you had read my post properly instead glancing at it while rushing off to post your mocking response you would of seen that. However I must ask what is so bad about the starmarkers photographs; besides the fact the photographer is clearly useless. Anyone one with the slightest clue about photography would know that the lighting in the full length shoots would not work, but the other one is not bad. Her nose looks the same to me, it still tips up at the end, and I think her face is fuller in the photograph that is about the only difference.

I knew your reply was to a particular post, however your 'big city life making difference' just didn't apply to other pictures pre-Fred or shortly after-Fred, that was my point. What's bad about the starmakers' photos, terrible clothes and tacky pose. Her face in the pictures of my previous post was not that much fuller than some of her pictures when she was pregnant or shortly after the babies, plus usually fuller face makes nose look smaller relatively (adding my own experience):cool:.

Last edited:
To clarify, she signed up for the Starmakers course BEFORE she met Fred. Fred was not responsible for the transformation. She also took a writing course during that time too. The Starmakers course she took was for business people who needed sprucing up. By Mary's own admission she was very shy about cameras at first. I believe she took these course as a possible move to PR. Where you would be out in front more. Amber was in PR at that time. It would have been a natural move from advertising. She always said she was looking for something, that something was missing from her life. (Which I totally get), It was also after the death of her mother.

As for Starmakers pictures. The whole point was to see your body and how you pose when you take a photo in everyday life. But also how you body and posture and weight affect you. (I've been though a similar course) Usually the photogs they use are new themselves. This is a way for them to get experience.

As for the nose. It definately had to do with weightloss. Sorry Amelia I read your post several times and thought you hinted at a nose job. Please don't be hard on DonnaK. Misunderstandings happen. She meant it as a joke, hence the emotacon. I think your post was fine. There will be misunderstands on the internet, and on this board. Plus, there are some nasty people who spend a lot of time making up very mocking hatefull posts. So people are hyper sensitive (myself included sometimes) to others posts. Please accept our apologies if we made you uncomfortable.

I knew your reply was to a particular post, however your 'big city life making difference' just didn't apply to other pictures pre-Fred or shortly after-Fred, that was my point. What's bad about the starmakers' photos, terrible clothes and tacky pose. Her face in the pictures of my previous post was not that much fuller than some of her pictures when she was pregnant or shortly after the babies, plus usually fuller face makes nose look smaller relatively (adding my own experience):cool:.
Right that’s all and in the close up picture you can still see the beautiful bone structure that Mary possesses, which today is highlighted by professionally applied make-up. As for her nose – it is clearly the same nose, her cheeks are fuller in those photographs which, from my own experience, can change how your nose looks, but if you closely examine photographs over the years she was dating Frederick to now you can see her face looses that fullness.
And on the topic of ‘big city life making a difference’ it does and did for Mary. The starmarkers photographs were not taken as she went about her daily life like the others they were taken in a studio by someone who was supposed to be a professional photographer and I have to say if I was in charge of that agency I would not want the full body shots about for general viewing because if this is the type of work they produce then young ladies should run the other way.

To clarify, she signed up for the Starmakers course BEFORE she met Fred.

She signed up for the StarMaker's course AFTER she met Fred. She attended six Sunday sessions from November 12 to December 20, 2000. She signed up for more classes on Feb. 10, 2001.

There was a lot of hoopla about this in Australia because she signed a release form that her images and videos could be used to promote the course and in fact they were used on the Starmaker's website in 2001. When Mary moved to Denmark although not yet engaged to Frederik, the owner asked for Mary's permission to release Mary's videos from the Starmaker's course to 60 Minutes but the owner ended up getting a legal letter saying no. Although the owner's lawyer said that she had every right to release Mary's video, the owner didn't. But as a compromise, the photos that you see of Mary in the Starmaker's course ended up being released to A Current Affair. And there was no legal action taken against the owner for this move.

You all may say I'm crazy but I think her drivers license picture is very flattering. I wish my drivers license pic was as flattering as that one!

Back
Top Bottom