Nannies of the Crown Prince Couple’s Children

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larzen

Heir Presumptive
Translation by me from this article
http://www.bt.dk/royalt/artikel:aid=379864:fid=100021710/
Frederik will be a busy father

There is more and more focus on Frederik and the demand to see him has increased

Of course F and Mary must have nannies otherwise they can’t do their work. Says chief on the CP court Per Thornit and denies the Australian stories that Mary will take care of her child by her self. He also says that it is something the media has invented and that he cant remember the Mary should have talked to the Australian media in recent time. An there is nothing new in that the CPss wants to take care of her baby herself. But that does not mean that they will not have nannies.

At some time there will be necessary with nannies, otherwise they cant do their job, having a nanny is just another solution that having the baby in nurseries or kindergarten. Other people put their children in nursery and kindergarten. That we do not do, says Thornit.

Can we imagine that the baby someday will be in nursery or kindergarten?

I would not know, we have not talked about it but the child will not be in a nursery Thornit says.

Frederik will be a busy father, but that is not because the Queen has had health troubles. It’s not like the Queen to slow down because she has trouble with a knee and a back. Thursday she will talk to the Danish press in Cayx in France

When Frederik is more in the spotlight than before that is due to the fact that there has been more focus on him. There is an increasing demand to have the couple together or separately says the chief of the court.

Australian Press writes tha Mary should have said that her child will not have the same strict childhood as her husband and that she will take care of the child herself

Thornit denies that Mary has ever spoken about what kind of childhood she will give he child compared that of her husband, but he adds that Fred has said that he wants his children closer than he was to his parents.

Shall the CP take over more from his mother?

That we have not talked about and there has been no question to have the CP take over but as he is more in the spotlight he will do more (baaad translation)

How long will the CPss work, she has a very busy agenda the coming week.

Yes she runs from one event to the next, says Thornit

We have moved a couple of things but we want cancel anything yet, it is the plan that the CPss will work as long as she can, but she want get in a car and drive three hours to Jylland and three hours back the week before she is due. The Cpss intends to do the things she has said yes to already.

Last edited:
Larzen said:
Translation by me from this article
http://www.bt.dk/royalt/artikel:aid=379864:fid=100021710/
but she want get in a car and drive three hours to Jylland and three hours back the week before she is due. The Cpss intends to do the things she has said yes to already

I think you mean, judging by the original article... that she won't get into the car and take the 6 hour trip to Jylland and back in the week she is due, but other than that, she intends to follow through on her programme as much as possible. ;)

Finally, a royal who doesn't refrain from being a human being. Pss Mary really racked up points with me with this nanny thing. The idea of children being raised by strangers seems to be an accepted part of royal life and it screws children up, to a certain degree. Think of Prince Charles- the Queen didn't have a major hand in his childhood and so, he grew up resentful of his mother and they don't have a close relationship. So, good for Mary that she wants to be a real mother to her children.

It's unfair to compare what Queen Elizabeth did and what the new crown princesses are doing these days. Queen Elizabeth had Charles almost 60 years ago in an age when fathers didn't attend birth, when babies were fed solid quite early, when disposable diapers didn't exist, when a child's emotional needs were a remote concept, when the duty of a Queen came first, when married woman could no longer be teachers in case they would become pregnant (in some parts of Canada at least), etc.
We've all come a long way. Times change so it is just normal that Mary wants to spend some quality time with her baby.

I agree. It is an unfair judgement. It makes Queens like Elizabeth II and Queen Margrethe seem as though they are bad people and bad mothers. I simply do not believe that to be the case. They grew up in a different time and different things were both expected and allowed of them. They only did what they knew how to do and followed traditions. What is also important is that all of the current Crown Princesses of Europe were born and raised as commoners, with the exception of Crown Princess Victoria of course. Their upbringings and way of viewing the world is different because they didn't have the cofines of growing up royal.

I think it's unrealistic if Mary expects not to need help.

Working moms cope by using day care, friends and relatives. Even stay-at-home-mothers (SAHMs) need help sometimes.

The demands on her time won't stop once the baby arrives.

But it's admirable that she wants to be connected to the baby.

The Danish court commented, in the article Larzen so kindly translated, that Mary and Frederik wanted to take care of their children as much as possible, but that there were a need for nannies, as putting the children out in public vuggestue/børnehave (nursery/kindergarten) for the first years of their life, as most Danish mothers tend to do, is not an option. Having nannies also gives them more flexibility to spend time with the children when they don't have public engagements. Then they decide when they spend time with the children, instead of having to adhere to the schedules of other organizations.

It should also be pointed out that there is a difference between being cared for by a nanny while your parents are busy, and being raised by one.

Though, I would expect that Mary's taking some maternal leave after the birth to spend time with the baby, probably similar to how Mette-Marit did it after Ingrid Alexandra's birth?

Isabel said:
I agree. It is an unfair judgement. It makes Queens like Elizabeth II and Queen Margrethe seem as though they are bad people and bad mothers. I simply do not believe that to be the case. They grew up in a different time and different things were both expected and allowed of them. They only did what they knew how to do and followed traditions. What is also important is that all of the current Crown Princesses of Europe were born and raised as commoners, with the exception of Crown Princess Victoria of course. Their upbringings and way of viewing the world is different because they didn't have the cofines of growing up royal.

I politely disagree a little bit. I've read where QE11 returned from an extensive royal trip and greeted a young Prince Charles with a handshake. There seemed to be no emotional connection, even out of the public eye. I understand that was a different time, but then again it wasn't that long ago. And from what you read of her childhood it was very loving, and her father was King. She had an example of that. She seems to do a wonderful job as Queen but not as mother. I hope I'm not offending anyone. That's not my intent.

rchainho said:
http://people.monstersandcritics.com/royalwatch/article_1039826.php/No_nannies_for_Denmarks_Princess_Mary

No nannies for Denmark's Princess Mary

Aug 8, 2005, 15:25 GMT Denmark's [font=Verdana,Arial]pregnant[/font] Princess Mary has vowed to raise her child without help from nannies.

The Australian-born mother-to-be says she wants to break royal tradition and be a hands-on parent when her child is [font=Verdana,Arial]born[/font]. Mary told Australia's Woman Day magazine: "I will be a 100 per cent mother. My children will not be brought up by nannies.

I dont blame CP Mary what she wanted it for her raise baby because she wanted own to care baby without nanny that stupid idea! why not nanny can help for Crown Princess when she works.

Sara Boyce

It's true Charles was scarred from his Childhood, Prince Philip didn't help either. Charles also told Diana that he wanted ot be a hands on FAther when they have kids. Unfortunately in his case, he didn't deal with his emotional baggage.

About the way in which QEII contributions to raising Charles, One thinks that maybe she later came to regret not being a hands on Mother with Charles. This could have been apparent when he began to make serious mistakes within his marriage, especialy where his Children were concerned. I by no means judge any of them and by no means do I say that QEII was a horroble Mother. Moreover, in Many ways Diana taught Charles how to be a better Father. :)

To highlight another point. Queen Victoria had more duties than QEII but she still made time to do her best. Having said that Queen Victoria's Mother was frightfully awfull to her and QV was releived when she became Queen as that put a greater distance between them. Then again as was metioned before their times were different. The Methods for rearing a Child were different, responsibility for such although upon the parents it seemed as though some cared about the emotional welfare of their Children less than others. Unfortunately so.

However in Kronpinse Frederik and Kronprinsesse Mary's case, they realise and have first hand experience of situations where the absense of a parents affection ( CPF Childhood and the death of CPM Mother,) has had adverse effects upon them, which together during the days of their Courtship, were completely resolved.

Also it's about declaring an equilibrium between work and Family and perhaps in certain cases the two may positively overlap. Aswe've already seen CPM and CPF continue to do so.:)

Best wishes for their forthcoming Parenthood and may it be blessed with happiness.:) :) :) :) :)

Emmily said:
I politely disagree a little bit. I've read where QE11 returned from an extensive royal trip and greeted a young Prince Charles with a handshake. There seemed to be no emotional connection, even out of the public eye. I understand that was a different time, but then again it wasn't that long ago. And from what you read of her childhood it was very loving, and her father was King. She had an example of that. She seems to do a wonderful job as Queen but not as mother. I hope I'm not offending anyone. That's not my intent.

I skimmed Penny Junor's book over the weekend. She says that, you have to remember the Queen was just 22 when Charles was born, the Princess Elizabeth was intimidated by Charles' nanny (who was replaced by the time of the two younger children). Maybe that lack of asserting herself and the added responsibilities of being queen did the damage (although it didn't damage Anne!).

Mary is older and herself not raised by a nanny, so I think you'll see a different childrearing style.

Roshanah, you're right about there needing to be a balance between work and family. Yes, there are royal responsibilities, but there's a huge responsiblity to your children. And really, if you raise them with love it seems that would make them do their job as a royal better, perhaps.

The Nanny Issue for Mary

In the last thread, little_star said that Mary was reported to have 2 or 3 nannies. Would you be able to post a link to that article/report? Because AFAIK, they have only ever employed one nanny: Mette Hansen

jmj21983 said:
Danish Royal Watchers makes a reference to an assistant for Mette Hansen, named Mie.

Danish Royal Watchers: February 2007

Scroll down to the article "Frederik, Mary & Christian: more from Verbier."

I'm back! to say that that is a great article! Christian is such a lovely little boy.

Wouldn't it make sense to have a second back up nanny? Especially with a second bub about to pop - at time of article -??

Royal nannies would have different responsibilties to "civillian" nannies surely?

Last edited:
jmj21983 said:
Danish Royal Watchers makes a reference to an assistant for Mette Hansen, named Mie.

Danish Royal Watchers: February 2007

Scroll down to the article "Frederik, Mary & Christian: more from Verbier."

Ah, thank you jmj21983. I suppose it would make sense for them to have an assistant/secondary nanny, in case Mette becomes sick/cannot come to work one day/for trips that Mette cannot go on.

Maybe I'm wrong, but somehow I remember statements made by CP Mary (as well as Fred) that nannies would not raise their children...

What gives?

there is a difference between raising and giving a helping hand now and then. Perhaps in the weekends they are totally nanny free.

Lady Bluffton said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but somehow I remember statements made by CP Mary (as well as Fred) that nannies would not raise their children...

What gives?

In fact nannies are absolutely important for Mary otherwise little Christian should have to stay the whole day in the Kindergarten! And when their parents travel to somewehere he will have to accompaign then all the time so nanies are very important to Mary, but I think one nany will take good care of little Christian!

I think Mary and Frederik are nanny-free most of the time, but that they have help once i a while when they are out, obvioustly.

MissSaga said:
I think Mary and Frederik are nanny-free most of the time, but that they have help once i a while when they are out, obvioustly.
I really don't think that! I think they have nannies all the time around them1 Thye must have because of their agenda!;)

biboquinhas said:
I really don't think that! I think they have nannies all the time around them1 Thye must have because of their agenda!;)

I agree,

They probably have nannies who can take care of the little Prince and Princess if they are not present. Maybe they hade the same idea as the Prince and Princess of Orange, the weekends and 1 (half a) day in the week (Except weekends) is for the family. (Unless there is something 'special,' like a State Visit)

I wonder where the rumour of Mary having three nannies came up.

Because in Denmark it is well known that she has two, one full time Mette Hansen, and another one, who works only part time, when Mette is having days off, or having holidays. :)

Even the Danish Media never reported that Mary had more nannies, and believe me, they would :) So I think we can classify the 3 nannies story as pure fiction :)

Sternchen said:

Gossip magazines maybe.. Or they maybe did hire someone new part time when one of the two nannies where on holiday, so they assumed she had three.

If she has two, three or four, its her choice and her childrens upbringing if she cant take care of them, and in her position she cant be an all on hand mother and its okay to get help, but if she does have more nannies then needed then i think their is a problem.

Sternchen said:

Because in Denmark it is well known that she has two, one full time Mette Hansen, and another one, who works only part time, when Mette is having days off, or having holidays. :)

Even the Danish Media never reported that Mary had more nannies, and believe me, they would :) So I think we can classify the 3 nannies story as pure fiction :)
Ekstrabladet (yes I know:rolleyes: ) says their names are Mette, Mie and Helene, I doubt they make fictional names for fictional nannies.

If I could, I would have 10 nannies. Children are work... work... and more work. Besides, the more people to love them the better.

biboquinhas said:
These days I have been in some old threats regarding Mary life before Frederick and just after her marriage! It's amaizing to see how mucht see has changed!
I think that both Frederick and Mary were dreaming (in a way). I think they both want to be "hands-on" parents, but the reality is that is impossible to the extent they wished. :innocent:

No one could imagine just how well (or not) Mary would do with the Danes. It was an unknown. Nor could they imagine how well (or not) Mary would participate in Royal Engagements and Patronages.:ermm:

Frederick off to an Official Engagement and wife Mary waves him goodbye from the front door cradling a little Princess in one arm and holding an exuberant Christain by the hand......... Ahhhh such are things dreams are made of. :pigsfly:

The reality is, Mary has her own Official Engagements to prepare for, and, let's be honest, arriving, unpacking the stroller, securing the baby and ensuring someone has a good hold on the toddler, wiping that inadvertant "baby badge" off her sholder, whilst running over some dignitary's feet with the stroller, shaking hands with said dignitary's wife after picking up a toy hurled from the stroller onto the red carpet, accepting a bouquet whilst quickly checking on Christian over her sholder.......................ugh! :dizzy:

Not a good look. :rolleyes:

Not a realistic way to bring up any child. :ROFLMAO:

How many mothers have the option of working from home? Her official engagements and patronages cannot come to her. She must go to them. That is the whole point of these events, to see and be seen to endorse Danish industry, research, charities, and yes..... even fashion! :doh:

If she cuts down on her schedule the media would be howling about her freeloading or some such thing.:whistling:

Mary and Frederick vowed to give their kids as normal a upbringing as is possible. A Nanny or even two will ensure that their children have the sort of privacy any normal kids would have. And, like all working parents everywhere, they will continue to factor in as much "family" time as possible.:flowers:

Mary was quoted and did say that she didn't want nannies to raise her children. People have taken that quote to mean she'd never have any nannies for her children. This is not what she meant! Frederick rarely saw his parents when he was a baby and toddler. The nanny was his primary parent. He didn't like this form of raising a royal baby. Hand the baby off to the nanny until they are a suitible age to interact with adults. This is how royals used to raise their children. Mary and Fred did not want that. They wanted to be the parents. They wanted to interact and raise their children as much as possible. Obviously, they cannot be with them 24/7. They have to represent Denmark, which is a very important job. So they must have nannies. But people think that b/c Mary said that she meant no nannies. She did not. She meant she didn't want to hand off her children to someone else to give values and love to. She and Fred are doing that themselves.

I wish I could afford a nanny. I have a little 10 month old. I'm lucky someday's if I get to brush my teeth!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its pure fantasy to assume a future crown prince and his wife would be able to raise their children on a full time basis, while performing non-stop public duty. Heck, even working parents get help when they can afford it. As long they are there for their children and take their parenting role seriously, having nannies will not present an issue.

Back
Top Bottom